[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Going to visit Indonesia in the summer. What food should I expect

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 8

File: Woof.jpg (30KB, 500x372px) Image search: [Google]
Woof.jpg
30KB, 500x372px
Going to visit Indonesia in the summer.
What food should I expect from my aunt and uncle?
Asian food thread
>>
dog stir fry
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdaiIObrhJY
>>
>Indonesia
>Asian
Have fun eating Muslim food
>>
A lot of heavily spiced food that's extremely pungent- but it'll help cover up the smell of faeces in the streets and unwashed people if your going to be in a city
>>
File: 1480115895298.gif (2MB, 297x391px) Image search: [Google]
1480115895298.gif
2MB, 297x391px
>>8310100
Jokes on you.
My family is Catholic. :^)
>>8310097
Sweet, I'll be going to Jakarta too, then Bandung and a few separate islands
>>
There are 900 inhabited islands in Indonesia, many with entirely different languages, cultures, diets and cuisines from the others. Which one/s are you going to visit?
>>
File: DutchIndo.jpg (136KB, 600x338px) Image search: [Google]
DutchIndo.jpg
136KB, 600x338px
>>8310108
Java will be my main destination.
Oma is from Bandung
Opa is from a small fisherman village where they had a fruit plantation on karumin jawa
Oom and tante are in Jakarta.
>>
>>8310145
woops, meant this for >>8310124
>>
>>8310108
>>8310124
>jakarta
Then you can find just about everything.
Find yourself a nice warung, preferably not owned by Muzzies, and get yourself lots of lemper babi. It's basically Indonesian tamales. Stick rice is soaked in water, drained, packed onto a banana leaf and wrapped around a pulled pork filling (with sugar; if you don't like sweet meat, this might not be for you), wrapped all around in the banana leaf then steamed until the rice is cooked through.

Oh! And get pisang goreng coklat keju, literally "fried banana with chocolate and cheese." It sounds like it'd be bad, but the cheese goes well with the chocolate and fruit somehow. Really.

Of course, sate. Lots of sate. Sate domba. Sate kambing. Sate babi. Sate hati ayam. Etc etc etc.
And try fried squid, Indonesian style (cumi tepung, literally 'floured squid'). It's not flour. It's cornstarch (or potato starch). Makes it super SUPER crispy.

Um... perkedel (mashed potato and ground beef balls). Martabak (mashed potato and ground beef crepes). Kolak (basically a dessert soup made of sweetened coconut milk and mixed fruits).
So much more. Too much to mention.
I've gotten myself dizzy with thoughts of Indonesian food.
>>
>>8310149
Forgot to say, if Muslims make it, it will be some other kind of lemper, like chicken (lemper ayam) or fish (lemper ikan). It'll still be good, but I think the pork one is the best version.

>>8310145
Eddie Van Halen is Indo, too.
>>
File: Geert9.jpg (55KB, 600x779px) Image search: [Google]
Geert9.jpg
55KB, 600x779px
>>8310157
FeelsHeritageMan.jpg
You indo too?
oh, and holy fuck, the coklat keju looked delicious,
>>
>>8310166
Not Indo, no. Different Eurasian, grew up in Singapore.
>>
>>8310149
I'd like to see pics of some of those things. They sound delicious.
>>
File: pisang goreng coklat keju.jpg (111KB, 590x590px) Image search: [Google]
pisang goreng coklat keju.jpg
111KB, 590x590px
>>8310191
holy fugg
>>8310190
british and chinese?
they kicked out all the malay from singapore, right?
i could be wrong
>>
>>8310198
Nah, malays still lurk around in singapore, but the majority of us are chinks. A few pajeets and white guys lurk occasionally too.

Also, chill crab, despite being memed to oblivion, is hella GOAT.

t. chink native of singapore
>>
>>8310528
My Indian friend got cucked out of her dad's company in Singapore when he died because her relatives were Chinese and took over ownership. The laws really only benefit the Chinese.
>>
Bandungfag here

try mie kocok (kocok noodle), if you want try it as tourist just direct someone to "mie kocok jalan badak", but serious taster go to the one at suci street, there are one there at front of BPJS office and only open at day

for the indon Chinese foods, go to Sudirman street near Asia africa

for breakfast, you can try lontong kari or kupat tahu, usually be sold at side of street, go to Dipatiukur as tourist for this things

at night try sweet and salty murtabak, the best one sold by legit group

also you can find more the unique culinaries at R. E. Martadinata street (but people still called it Riau street), so many restauran there

you can also try satays, iga penyet, yamien and Lomie noodle, and Tim rice for heavy duty foods.

For Sweets, you can buy our Brownies, klappertaart, Surabi, and balok cakes

For desert, try durian ice cream, cendol, and cincau
>>
>>8310552
>an overwhelming percentage of the population is chinese
>the nation was founded by assblasted chinks who left ayylmaosia to start their own chinatown
>laws only benefit the chinese

What did you expect?
>>
>>8310085
What did they use for the nose and eyes? Can't tell from the pic.
>>
all those foods look delicious, but what do they typically eat on a daily basis?
Just nasi goreng and bami goreng?
>>
>>8311268
Hey man, it's not me. She wasn't surprised either when she got cucked.
>>
File: yfw asean.jpg (125KB, 628x828px) Image search: [Google]
yfw asean.jpg
125KB, 628x828px
>>8312708
>Breakfast
Chicken porridge, Lontong kari, or Kupat tahu/Ketoprak

>Lunch
Yamien or Lomie Noodle, Soto, Bakso Noodle (Meatball), Tofu Meatball

>Dinner
Satays, Murtabak, Fried Rice, Pecel Lele (catfish) or chicken

source, myself is indon
>>
>>8312903
You forgot rice

When I lived on the countryside we ate

>Breakfast
Rice and veggies, sambal

>Dinner
Rice and beans, sambal

At marked day there was some nasty sweets that tante always bought, plus rattan if they had it. And more rice.
>>
Indomie goreng
>>
>>8313945
rice only be eaten with side foods
like nasi uduk and nasi kuning
>>
File: 1477050892820.jpg (82KB, 502x674px) Image search: [Google]
1477050892820.jpg
82KB, 502x674px
>>8314095
Kamu anjing bodoh
>>
>>8310085
Minangfag here, whatever you do you HAVE to try at least 10 different things from any large padang restaurant you can find, you will know when you see one

You just don't go to Indonesia without tasting rendang at least once

But always try to avoid eating in any shopping mall though, 99% of the time the meals are absolute dogshit unless it's a famous brand
>>
>>8310145
>>8314655
Fuck me I didn't read that

But yeah any minang or padang themed restaurant are safe bets and if you actually go to Jakarta NEVER miss out Nasi Kapau in Kramat Raya area, they only open at evenings but god damn it the things they serve are heavenly

As a side note: The authentic minang restaurant always serve you warm plain water instead of any other beverage option and if you do eat at minang restaurant remember that they always charge you by the amount of side dishes you take even if it's just the sauce, yes we are cheap cunts
>>
>>8314095
Kek
>>
>>8310085
Lot of good recommendations so far
Stuff yourself with tons of seafood there are bunch of good places in north jakarta they're fresh and cheap too!
>>
I'll be moving to Denpasar, Bali for a job. Any suggestions specific to there?
>>
>>8314737
Do not, I repeat, do not, fuck Balinese prostitutes.
>>
>>8315014
W-w-why didn't you tell me that before I'd been here for a week? W-w-what's going to happen if I might have, maybe, already did?
>>
>>8315137
RIP in pieces, anon ;_;
>>
>>8314737
watch your feet when on walk, don't you ever step on hindu's sesajen by intentional

pic related, this thing is every where in bali
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.