[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hello /ck/, I'm an eurofag who moved to america this year

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4

File: jesus fucking christ.jpg (127KB, 1100x750px) Image search: [Google]
jesus fucking christ.jpg
127KB, 1100x750px
Hello /ck/,
I'm an eurofag who moved to america this year for work, been invited to a friend's family thanksgiving tomorrow.

What should I expect?
>>
A slightly fancier dinner than normal with lots of food. You should be fine as long as you avoid religion/politics and don't forget to bring your own thanksgiving bib.
>>
>>8303722
Turkey+Stuffing (or possibly honey-glazed ham)
Cranberry sauce
Mashed potatoes
awkward conversation

If they're extra-traditional, people might "give thanks" for the things they have (only to spurn that and go on the world's biggest spending spree the next day, on Black Friday).

In a way I'm glad my family recognizes that we hate each other so we just get really drunk and watch football after making some non-thanksgivingy dish like gumbo or hummus and kebabs.

>>8303741
>bring your own thanksgiving bib
This is a joke, I assume. I have never seen anyone over the age of 4 wear a bib in real life on any occasion ever. Might be a regional thing though.
>>
>>8303722

Eat a little of everything offered and compliment the host and/or cooks. Bring a bottle of wine or some other small gift. Smile and nod. Do NOT discuss politics or religion. Offer to help with the dishes.
>>
>>8303745
i know what manners are, I'm not that autistic, but is american society really so divided that even among family you can't bring up politics/religion at all?

I keep seeing references to how awful it is - what are the chances of a fight/argument?
>>
>>8303722
talk about how things are better in europe at every chance you get
>>
>>8303797
meh
old as fuck joke, 3/10
in europe our jokes are much more sophisticated
>>
>>8303776
People are fairly divided, yeah, especially in the wake of the contentious election we just had. My dad and his brother had to agree not to bring up politics between each other because my dad is a very conservative federal prosecutor and my uncle is a very liberal finance executive.

I like arguing with my dad personally, because he's a lawyer and he's smart, informed and can defend his positions well, but we get very impassioned and it would certainly ruin dinner for everyone else, so we only do it when alone together.

Politics shouldn't be something people take personally, but it's so mixed up in identity here that it's hard for people to take it any other way.
>>
>>8303744
>regional thing

Adults in Mississippi, Louisiana, Alabama, and Texas wear bibs because 200+ years of inbreeding have led to a serious decline in cognitive, motor and chewing skills.
>>
>>8303823
I (poster you linker) am from Texas and I lived in Louisiana for 3 years and I never saw anyone eating with bibs. When I said regional thing, I thought it might be a northern thing. Like in the Sopranos I saw people using bibs when they ate lobster. But that was a TV show.
>>
lots of talking about europe and your entire year of life in the US

and eating way more then you are probably used to
>>
being you, I would
>panic
>refuse politely
>thanksgiving dinner for one
>4chan
>regret

but more probably
>accept because How to refuse?
>panic a lot
>not appear at event
>avoid friend
>waddle back to europe
>>
File: liberal_bitch.jpg (147KB, 1012x696px) Image search: [Google]
liberal_bitch.jpg
147KB, 1012x696px
>>8303776
>i know what manners are, I'm not that autistic, but is american society really so divided that even among family you can't bring up politics/religion at all?
You have no idea:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYWrzpLc8IE
>>
>>8303881
This friend. Don't forget your thanksgiving bib
>>
>>8303840
>never saw anyone waring bibs
>live in TX and previously LA

Looks like cognitive dissonance. My assertion: QED.
>>
>>8303722
The best day of the year. All you can eat fucking pie, chilling with family, Dallas cowboys football, etc
>>
>>8303946
>Dallas cowboys

What a pathetic meme. And Fox never shows any other fucking team. What a bunch of crap. That meme started when USA Today began publishing. A blatant attempt to create a "national" team. Bleeecchh.
>>
>>8303722
Google Jerry Springer, it's like a televised Thanksgiving dinner.
>>
>>8303722
How religious are they? You might be asked to say Grace.
>>
File: image.jpg (177KB, 1157x1528px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
177KB, 1157x1528px
>tfw going to start drinking liquor at 0900 to lessen my social anxiety
>>
>>8303776
Some people are assholes and can't have a conversation with differing opinions. It takes only one person to ruin it for everyone, but no one will kick them out for whatever reason. Some of them have serious mental and substance abuse problems. Unless everyone else there is fine with politics/religion, don't bring it up. Keep in mind that they may seem fine with such discussion but only within the scope of certain viewpoints. If you're family and having been eating together for many years, then you may have more leeway and should have better judgement. For a first timer, I recommend not getting yourself overly involved with what maybe ongoing feuds and actual crazy people.
I don't know how valid this is for your part of Euroland, but imagine someone coming in dressed in Hugo Boss uniforms circa 1930 - 1940, doing a Roman salute, and marching to DUA. It's either going to go along swimmingly or end in certain disaster.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.