[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>you just gotta feel it man! why is this allowed? I don't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 2

File: 015.png (217KB, 470x664px) Image search: [Google]
015.png
217KB, 470x664px
>you just gotta feel it man!
why is this allowed? I don't wanna stick a fork in a potato, I don't even trust myself that much.
Just tell me the exact dimensions I should cult my potato, the exact time they should boil, and so on. fuck off with all that other shit, I'm willing to get out my ruler
>>
>>8302979
Or you could just Get Good™
>>
look motherfucker, you don't talk about the potato cult online
>>
>>8302979
>why is this allowed?

Because it's simpler than the alternative.

Pre-calcuating everything would require a massive amount of information: your elevation. the moisture content of the potato. the age of the potato. the type of potato. and so on.

It's easier just to test doneness with a fork, skewer, knife tip, etc.
>>
>>8302979
just buy a fucking thermometer and google cook temps you autist
>>
>>8302979
>jam a bent paperclip into the steak and quickly touch it directly under your bottom lip
this is the only way to accurately temp a steak without using a digital probe
>>
>>8302979
Anybody telling you to just feel it is a fucking hack, end of story. Don't bother listening to them.
>>
>>8302979
Because, while we like our food to have a great texture and flavor, ultimately we're satisfied with flour mixed with water to stave off starvation. Witness the red cross trucks dumping 100lb bags of flour to people in ravaged areas who have no heat source at all and mix it in trucked in bottled water to form a tasty paste. Yum.

Humans are quite adaptable.
>>
File: n-no_homo25.png (477KB, 788x622px) Image search: [Google]
n-no_homo25.png
477KB, 788x622px
>>8302979
Hnng Hachiman is so fucking cute
>>
>>8305567
w-what's going on here?
>>
>>8305567
>>8305577
when i watched yahari i never once imagined hachiman as a sissy
>>
>>8302979
That is not how cooking works anon.

To use your example, desired end use, type of potato, age of potato and how it has been stored are all factors that would change optimum cooking time...
>>
>>8305849
so let me factor those things in for fucks sake.
>>
>>8305853
what do you want, a grid with every possible characteristic of the potato listed (as well as other non-potato factors such as altitude etc) and the resulting cooking time?
>>
>>8305861
yes.
>>
>>8305865
Sorry son, as I said, that is not how cooking works.

Right now we are getting the last of last season's potatoes and we get huge variability within one 25 kilo bag.

We need to make little potato cubes for a rare beef salad, and some will turn to mush before the others are cooked.

That and we have to pick through hot hand cut fries becasue some drop so much sugar they go a deep brown color...

Taste everything anon, while you are cooking, and develop your feels...
>>
>>8302979

>Just tell me the exact dimensions I should cult my potato

Depends what you want to do with it after boiling

>the exact time they should boil

Depends on the kind of potato and how old they are, how they were grown, their density and a lot of other things that can change cooking time by 2-3 minutes

>fuck off with all that other shit

If you want to be a good cook you're going to have to get comfortable with things not being accurate, if you want accuracy go into baking
>>
>>8305567
>>8305577
get this shit off my cantonese hunting gathering forum
>>
>>8305872
>Depends what you want to do with it after boiling
then tell me depending on recipe
>Depends on the kind of potato and how old they are, how they were grown, their density and a lot of other things that can change cooking time by 2-3 minutes
I'm willing to make those measurements as well
>If you want to be a good cook you're going to have to get comfortable with things not being accurate, if you want accuracy go into baking
no, I want to get good, that's why accuracy is a must
>>
>>8305865
well if you googled it and couldn't find one, you're not likely to find it here either. this is because pretty much nobody else needs one but you. and also because only a fool would go strictly by times without also physically checking the potatoes to make sure they actually are done, because when boiling things there are always other factors. if you used a gas stove, you could get it down a little finer, but a lot of us are stuck with electric stoves and there are variations in wattage etc. that we can't know. there are also factors such as the water you use, how fast it boils, etc. nobody else weighs and measures everything down to that degree just to make potatoes.

if it's still stiff on the inside, it's not done. if it's mealy, it's overdone and you're fucked. is it a texture you'd want to put in your mouth and eat? then it's done correctly. if not, then no. that should be your main concern.

the farther I get into this post, the more I start to wonder if you genuinely have autism or if you are just a troll. I would call troll, but I have autism and I used to demand cut-and-dried criteria for shit like this that wasn't so cut and dried.

spend a couple meals eating mealy or underdone potatoes and you'll catch on pretty quick.
>>
>>8305885

The only way anyone is going to give you advice on that shit is by doing it themselves through trial and error.

So fucking buck up and take on the dirty work yourself.
>>
>>8305885
hey OP I have an idea. since this is such a big deal to you, if you can't find a chart, why don't you make one? it would be a good learning experience as well as a public service. be a trailblazer for all the other anal retentives out there who are dying for a scientifically down-to-the-gnat's-ass way of cooking potatoes.
>>
ok I would suggest taking a reasonable sample every couple months but;

draw up a table for a standard sized cube, say 1/2in

cook small batches at different suggested times (google it you fuck)

when you are happy with the result see if you can repeat it (4 times is significant enough for a home gamer)
>>
>>8302979
>>8305885
>I want to get good at cooking
>I don't trust myself to stick a fork in for checking doneness
Anon, getting good first requires you to trust yourself. And that means fucking up until you can.
>>
>>8302979
Potatoes are a natural product and thus vary considerably, so no such exact time can exist.

What elevation are you at? How much salt is in your water? How much water per unit potato? How cooked do you want your potatoes? What type of potatoes are they? How were they grown? How old are they? All of tgese things can have significant impacts on cooking time even if you have perfectly even, standardized potato cubes. Just test them, it's the only way to be actually sure.
>>
>>8302979
dear autist. the variables in cooking require you to be able to understand the differences that all these variables will result in.

living (or former) things are not all alike and will perform differently based upon what they ate while they were alive, what region of the globe they came from and in some cases, even the condition of their death.

your oven and cooktop will vary from the person who wrote the recipe. your ability to prepare the ingredients properly will vary. and has shown by your incredible stupidity in this post, your ability to fix mistakes and correct for these variations is severely inept.

tl;dr cooking is not an science. tough shit, learn this.
>>
>>8304669
I bet those poor fucks enjoy their paste more than I have ever enjoyed anything in my life
>>
>>8302979
>why is this allowed?
Because the vast majority of people are not autistic fucks like you are.
>>
>>8305567
>>8305577
Could I get some sauce, my man?
>>
>>8302979
If the end of cooking is to alter ingredients' sensual properties in order to produce something that is palatable and safe to consume, then it stands to reason that the best way to assess the ingredients' progress to that end is to test them with the senses.
All other measures are peripheral to the doneness of food; no two pots of boiling water will be the same, no two potatoes are the same, and so we cannot say with absolute certainty how a specific piece of potato will stand up to being boiled in a pot of water at a certain time and place. Palpable changes, on the other hand, are directly correlated to each other; hence palpable changes will directly indicate doneness, as doneness is defined by a kind of palpable state. Assessment of the palpable qualities of food will therefore always be superior for determining doneness as long as it is possible.
>>
>>8302979
>I get triggered inserting the illogical into cooking
It sounds like you need the genuine thing, Yukino. Cooking is an art, not a science.
>>
>>8307890
Are you shilling for the 'P' chapter of thr dictionary?
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.