[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So, I'm planning on brining a few turkey breasts for my

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: brine11.jpg (118KB, 630x420px) Image search: [Google]
brine11.jpg
118KB, 630x420px
So, I'm planning on brining a few turkey breasts for my Thanksgiving (alone) but I have a few questions.

- Is 1/4 C. table salt to 8 C. water an acceptable ratio for a standard brine?
- If I wanted to add sugar as well to my brine, would I use half the amount of sugar as I did salt? (such as above, using 1/4. C salt with 1/8 C. sugar).
- Is sugar even needed or beneficial?
- Is 3-4 hours an acceptable amount of time? I haven't bought the turkey breast yet, so I'm not sure how much they will weigh. I'm not going to be hunting for any particularly huge.
- Do I rinse off the brine before roasting?
- Do I still need to season with salt before roasting?
- Any personal suggestions for other additions to my brine?

Thank you /ck/.
>>
>>8288536
Try brining with milk and bells seasoning that's how my pops does it and he makes the best turkey ive ever had never dry. The milk breaks the meat down a bit.
>>
>>8288542
That's not at all what I was asking but thanks, I guess.
>>
>>8288536
I would do a minumum of 1/2 cup of salt per 8 cups of water which is half gallon. I would also add 1/2 cup of brown sugar and if bone in turkey breast I would go a minimum of 8 hours. Add whatever spices you want.
>>
>>8288571
Lol at least I bumped your thread. The ratio for salt to water is 1:1 btw. Standard but 1/2 the salt is plenty for some ppl. Depends on your taste. You probably have a small bird but I would go for overnight anyways. Pat dry before cooking like any other meat. Fresh herbs in the cavity is a must. You should try the milk tho
>>
>>8288593
Cup to gal in case you were wondrring
>>
>>8288588
Most brines I've found have called for 1/2 C. salt to 8 C. water but that was for kosher salt. Since I'll be using fine grain salt, I figured it'd be safe to cut it in half.

>>8288593
I'm not making a whole bird, just breasts.
>>
>>8288606
I don't think you should have to brine that at all then. Don't see why you would as they wont take long to cook dryness shouldn't be a factor
>>
>>8288610
I'm still learning to cook and I'm not great at all desu. Generally when I make chicken breasts atleast, they come out sort of dry.
>>
>>8288643
How do you cook them? A lil less time is probably all you need. I usually do my breasts with olive oil in a pan til a nice gold color develops on each side but hell theres a billion and one right ways to do chicken or turkey for that matter.
>>
>>8288606
>kosher salt

I hope you're not thinking of using iodized salt. That would't be good. Sea salt is finer, but I don't think the ratio is half to kosher in terms of volume.
>>
>>8288643
Get a decent instant-read thermometer. Sear the turkey breasts in a hot pan on both sides- you'll probably have to go one at a time since odds are they'll be big. While that's going, throw an empty roasting pan into the oven at 325F or so until hot. Once the turkey is seared, throw it into that hot roasting pan along with a good knob or two of butter and some fresh woody herbs, and whack the whole thing into the oven. Baste some herb-flavored butter over after five minutes and then every ten minutes following. Pull the turkey out at an internal temperature of about 150-155F; 160 is what you want for fully cooked but still juicy, and you'll get 5-10F of carryover cooking. This way, by the time the turkey is rested, it'll be the right temperature rather than overcooked. You'll also have some (at least somewhat) turkey-flavored fat in your roasting pan (in this case butter flavored by the turkey juices/browning) to start your gravy with, should you be so inclined.

You'll have more leeway with time if the breasts have bones, as they'll cook slower.
>>
>>8288685
/thread
>>
>Use a boning knife. Insert just under your left orbital. Thrust repeatedly until knife comes out clean. Lick blade for lubrication as needed.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.