[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>white college student >just got a job as a native english

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: chinese food container.jpg (71KB, 458x734px) Image search: [Google]
chinese food container.jpg
71KB, 458x734px
>white college student
>just got a job as a native english cashier at what looks to be the best chinese restaurant in my town and maybe a town over
>i get free food for myself and 50% off for friends and family
>im repulsed by chinese food

I really want to acquire a taste for Chinese food, /ck/. It feels dumb to just not take advantage of the situation, and it's pretty reasonably priced shit to fall back on thrice a week once I board somewhere. How do I do it? Any dishes that could build up my tolerance for God knows what's in it?
>>
What sort of Chinese food is this?

Is it "Chinese food" or actual Chinese food?

Also, it's generally unhealthy to eat out a lot, although I'm sure there are healthier options at the restaurant as well. Just something to keep in mind.
>>
>>8279129
What do you not like?
>>
>>8279153
It's in Queens NY, pretty much a safe haven for Chinese food considering all the other boroughs have shitty Asian cuisine from what I hear. So from that I can only assume it's as "authentic" as you could get for American-based Chinese food. And yeah it's probably unhealthy to eat out a lot but its going to be somewhat inevitable considering mommy can't pay for my food half the time come the next college transfer. Maybe I'll just be like a monk and buy a giant bag of rice for like $3 come then.

>>8279165
I'm primarily put off by shrimp, but just the idea of Chinese food having all this extra crap in it that I'm not even aware of on the menu, and the texture of it always set me off. The most I ever ate was """french fries""" from some other place and a roast pork egg roll.
>>
File: dsc_0004.jpg (251KB, 1800x1200px) Image search: [Google]
dsc_0004.jpg
251KB, 1800x1200px
>>8279178
>all this extra crap in it that I'm not even aware of on the menu, and the texture of it always set me off
Huh. I don't really get that, but okay. Aside from MSG I don't think it's really any different from other cuisine - although if you say it's "authentic" then maybe they don't put that stuff in. Anyway, since you work there you could probably figure out what goes in the food.

Have you tried mapo tofu or some sort of stir-fried noodle dish on a wok? Also duck with pancakes (pic related) is great, although expensive so maybe that's not an option.
>>
You could probably ask them to steam some vegetables for you, maybe get some white rice, try some soy sauce or something
>>
>>8279197
>>8279201
I was gonna consider just a chicken stir fry or something like that considering it's just steamed veggies and chicken in a bowl with whatever sauce they have, seems pretty accessible. On a side note, mapo tofu looks pretty good, duck is probably expensive and I see a lack of pancakes in the pic but I'm probably just retarded and that's the American-ized name for something.
>>
>>8279178
>The most I ever ate was """french fries""" from some other place and a roast pork egg roll.
pull that gigantic dick out of your ass and stop being an insufferable high brow faggot. Jesus Christ I want to punch you in the face through the monitor you uppity little fagass.
>>
>>8279216
>lack of pancakes in the pic
They're not regular pancakes. It's sort of like a crepe. I dunno why but they call them pancakes nonetheless.
>>
>>8279129
In general, you need to persist. I didn't like Chinese food when I arrived in China. After 1 or 2 months, it grows on you. 1/3 of my meals are Chinese-inspired now (Sichuan mostly) and I left this POS country 4 years ago. I've got the pantry of a fucking tiger mom.

Chinese have a fantastic cooking culture, but it needs some time to get used to it. A lot of it is an acquired thing.

Just to have a better idea, what does the restaurant serve ?
>Chinese American food (orange chicken and shit like that)
>Hunan
>Sichuan
>Shandong
>Anhui
>Jiangsu
>Zhejiang
>Cantonese
>Fujian
>All of the fucking above like a good ol' western Chinese restaurant ?

If you don't know :
>is it face-melting spicy (Sichuan / Hunan)?
>do they steam everything, make dimsum and put shrimps everywhere, have an aquarium with live shellfishes and fishes (Cantonese) ?
>do they put a lot of sugar and vinegar in things (Zhejiang) ?
>>
>>8279250
mostly Chinese American and Hunan/Sichuan, every third order there's either general tso or sesame chicken on the receipt and almost 70% of the menu is spicy by default, which I love spicy food. I get it's probably an accquired taste, just trying to suck it up and jump in now.
>>8279218
lol
>>8279228
well crepes are basically just airy thin pancakes in some regard so I guess it works out
>>
You sound like a neurotic picky bitch. Sorry no cure for that except to grow the fuck up.
>>
>>8279218
Highly agree, OP is a spoonfed baby who just moved out of his parents house where they cooked a variety of 5 meals for his entire life

Can't understand how some people have trouble "learning to eat"
>>
>>8279250
You do know that besides the more well known ones, Chinese cuisines are not defined by provinces right?
>>
>>8280668

I agree but Chinese food is often shit and is an acquired taste growing up.

Indian food on the other hand...now that is objectively good shit and I'm not talking about Americanized butter chicken "Indian."

Also I'm half a sand nigger and Middle Eastern cuisine is pretty GOAT.

>Israeli cuisine is great inb4 I am called a Jew (although I think I am 1/8th)
>>
>>8280808
>half sand nigger

That explains quite a lot.
>>
>>8279153
if you're worried about health when going for chinese takeout, just ask for any meat+vegetable dish "no sauce". Everything comes steamed.

As for OP, just work your way down the menu idk. It's all the fucking same. If you somehow don't like meat+vegetables in sweet sauce now, idk what will change your mind.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.