[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the deal with organic food? Are there any actual

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: 1462569649878.jpg (44KB, 700x525px) Image search: [Google]
1462569649878.jpg
44KB, 700x525px
What's the deal with organic food? Are there any actual benefits to purchasing organic vegetables/fruits/etc or is it just another excuse to charge more money?

I want to eat healthy and my gf likes to purposely buy organic foods but I want to save money at the same time.
>>
tell your gf to stop wasting money. She should pinch every penny. Women, after all, earn less than men. Money should be worth more to them.
>>
>>8267181
>eat healthy
*healthily
>>
>>8267181
There is no nutritional or health difference between organic veggies and traditional. Organic veggies still contain pesticides, they're just *different* ones than used in tradional farming.

Produce varies by freshness and season. Organic/traditional doesn't mean shit. Look at both of them and buy whichever one looks the best. Don't read the worlds on the label--look at the color, the texture, the smell. Use your senses, then determine if you think that's worth the price. Sometimes I buy organic, sometimes I buy normal. Depends on which is freshest.
>>
>>8267200
She actually makes a lot more than I do, granted I'm still in school and she's a RN.

>>8267203
Thanks famm

>>8267205
Thank you for the advice, anon. Are pesticides the only difference between regular and organic/traditional? What about organic meats?
>>
>>8267227
>Are pesticides the only difference between regular and organic/traditional? What about organic meats?

If you want specifics you'll have to look them up for your specific country. The Organic certification specs aren't the same everywhere.
>>
Organic food is just a meme to get more money
>>
>>8267205
Agree that freshness is the most important factor. An organic product shipped cross country and stored in a warehouse for a week will have degraded just as much as conventional.

But you're wrong about organic produce and pesticides. Pyrethrins are permitted, true, but reputable organic farmers only use these as a last resort due to the fact they kill all insects including predator insects that eat harmful bugs. An organic farmer uses crop rotation, traps, attractants for good bugs, non-toxic soaps, netting and other practices that deter bad bugs.

Furthermore, synthetic fertilizers which contain petroleum byproducts and other chemicals are not permitted. Also mulches and fabric are used to block weeds so herbicides are unnecessary.

The fact is, you don't have nearly the chemical residue, if any, in reputably produced organic produce. I grow roughly 1/2 acre organically and in the last 5 years I've only had to use pyrethrins once. Granted, a much smaller scale, but with additional labor and good cultural practices it can be and is achieved in larger, professional farms as well.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.