[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /ck/, how can I get my dad interested in learning how to

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: canifrythat.png (2MB, 1911x1150px) Image search: [Google]
canifrythat.png
2MB, 1911x1150px
Hey /ck/, how can I get my dad interested in learning how to cook?

My mom passed away 7 years ago, and she was the one who did all the cooking in the house. My dad considers it dinner if he can warm up an instant pizza.

My sister and I cook but we've got our own lives and families. My grandma spoils him like crazy and cooks for him all the time so he's never had to learn, but she's 90 and I want him to learn how to make basic stuff after she passes away so that he doesn't die of malnutrition or become a fatass.

Any tips on how to facilitate this, or easy recipes for beginners?
>>
>>8263021
He may just not be interested in it. I think its an important skill and I've tried to teach a good friend or two some basic things but they still can't even make fried eggs. If he can't see the value in cooking for yourself, I doubt he will.
>>
>>8263021
>An instant pizza

Like the Jetsons?
>>
>>8263082

That's too bad. I just don't want him to have to order food all the time or make instant crap. Was there anything that your friend didn't like in particular about cooking? Maybe I can avoid that.

>>8263103

Exactly like the Jetsons.
>>
>>8263021
Other than scaring him with health concerns related to sodium (the big issue with most prepared foods), maybe the only thing you can really do is Eat This, Not That kind of choices to suggest.

There are some more premium food choices to be found for dinner other than bad pizza, but could be a little more expensive.
I would rave about new finds, or menu ideas you discovered that are mad easy (or demo them for him)

These are some of my quick fix favorites:
MichaelAngelo frozen egglant parm + loaf of french bread + sliced provolone. Nuke that eggplant per the directions. Meanwhile garlic toast a roll or portion of the french bread, layer with sliced provolone cheese, return to oven to melt Then top with the eggplant when it beeps. Easy mode is not to toast bread just use it soft. Can be enjoyed with a bagged salad kit or cup of soup, or even oven fries. It takes less time than a pizza.

evol makes a delicious skillet meal (does he own a lidded wok/skillet to dump and cover a skillet meal in? The evol is $6/bag, and the sage and butternut squash ravioli is terrific. No boiling and draining of noodles, just dump and dinner is steamed under a lid with a couple of stirs in 8 minutes. It gets this crispy kale and onions topping by the time it's completely done, and you can brown the ravioli as much as peirogie.

I often buy publix or birds eye steam-in-bag brown rice, which steams in 4 minutes Couscous cooks just as fast if you want to do that. Then I might make my own main to serve with it (can simmer sauce some chicken or pork), or pick up a rotisserie. My main goal is making a delicious dipping sauce. I like curry powder + mustard + chili paste + mayo + sour cream, with a bit of lime zest. It's my mockup of the chicken kitchen sauce. I might slice some cukes or tomatoes as my side. If I'm doing an asian theme, I'll pick up some Asahi dry, and make a steam-in-bag edamame for the appetizer.
>>
>>8263184

Thanks for the suggestions anon. I agree that it might be a better solution to get him to try healthier options rather than switching to cooking altogether.

I want him to try and eat more greens as he has a big sweet tooth and eats tons of carbs as is - the motto in the family is that everyone loves good bread.

The brands you suggested sound like good choices, but I haven't seen them personally at groceries stores around me (Canadafag here). My dad's main concern is making meals quickly, so the couscous especially sounds nice! Thanks again anon.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.