[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So does anyone have a guide for making take out restaurant style

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 5

So does anyone have a guide for making take out restaurant style chinese food at home? It seems like every youtube video I look at is extremely out of date and isn't the right style in the first place.

I just want some decent fried rice and sesame chicken I can make at home without it being god awful pseudo food.
>>
CHYNA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9kwmXwLTNo
>>
i just usually play with the search function on youtube and am able to find videos uploaded within the last year. make sure youre also typing in the correct search terms. If you have auto correct that also helps, sometimes the chinese words are hard
>>
>>8259242
>does anyone have a guide for making take out restaurant style chinese food at home?
What would possibly be the point of this? No one has wok burners that hot in their home kitchens, and most folks don't have deep fryers. You simply cannot do it if you don't have the right equipment. It's like trying to make espresso or brick oven pizza at home with a Mr Coffee or an electric oven. It requires gear most folks don't have access to at home.
>>
>>8259242
>chicken nuggets
>toss in hot honey and sesame seeds
>side of minute rice
>>
>>8259259
i agree. I would recommend using yelp to find the nearest high quality chinese restaurant near you.
>>
>>8259264
If you have to use yelp to find a good Chinese restaurant in a place where you live that's pretty sad.
>>
>>8259259
Any schmuck can put oil in a large pan for deep frying. I'm looking for taste similarity, not a 1:1 replica. I mean, I know I won't get the same frying quality and stuff, but I just want something I can make at home that tastes good and not like the generic version of a generic version of a name brand product.
>>
File: 213ac226.png (255KB, 480x453px) Image search: [Google]
213ac226.png
255KB, 480x453px
I'm a chink and my dad owns a chinese restaurant. I work as a chef/server there. Ask anything.
>>
>>8259289
Part of it is the heat, part is the salt and sugar. Think about it: food won't fry then caramelize then become a gravy anywhere the temperatures happening in a Chinese kitchen vs your own. It's like the difference between braising and deep frying. Can't fake that.
>>
>>8259299
Whats your favorite dish?
>>
allrecipes.com/recipe/91499/general-tsaos-chicken-ii

This recipe seems promising, just add sesame seeds.
>>
>>8259242
looks like another question from /ck/ solved by the almighty Brothers Green
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3tCBVTgzLg
>>
>>8259299
How do you achieve that super crispy coating on chicken that remains crisp in sauce?
>>
I've found that the only way to get chinese american takeout style fried rice is by using MSG and day or more old rice.
>>
>>8259318
The chicken is lightly fried beforehand in batter as prep. We then re-fry it and after it is crispy, we wokfry it again while coating it in the sauce.
>>
>1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
>1/2 cup rice vinegar
>1/3 cup sambal oelek
>1/4 cup ketchup
>1/4 cup soy sauce
>2 tsp grated ginger
>mix everything together in a saucepan and reduce until thick and sticky
>add chicken
>>
>>8259289
But why try to replicate the cheapest possible fast food at home?
>>
>>8259326
To add to that, for batter we use part corn flour, part plain, self raising and oil. Fry it high temperature until it is almost done and then turn the temperature to low and let it sit.
>>
>>8259329
>>1/4 cup ketchup
can I substitute this with memesauce
>>
>>8259352
Yes that's basically just spicy ketchup
>>
>>8259315
The comfiest pot heads on youtube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxXN4JOX4ak
>>
>>8259326
>>8259351
Based anon, thanks.
>>
File: Noodles in Wok.jpg (115KB, 800x534px) Image search: [Google]
Noodles in Wok.jpg
115KB, 800x534px
It's all stir frying. It's easy and cheap.

You don't need a wok, but it does make it easier having more room than with a skillet.

You don't need a lot of oil for just serving one person; only 1/2 tbsps (7.5ml) or less. Use a high smoke point oil like peanut oil, grapeseed oil, vegetable oil, and canola oil.

For basic stir fries you need at least 1 tsp (5ml) of soy sauce and at least 1/2 tsp (2.5ml) of corn starch. Don't crowd the wok.

For fried rice, there is no wrong way as long as you don't overcook the rice. This applies to all starches you decide to use.
>>
>>8259300
>Think about it: food won't fry then caramelize then become a gravy anywhere the temperatures happening in a Chinese kitchen vs your own

what?
>>
>>8259259
Frying should work.

Cast iron skillet for "stir-frying". Put the meat into the hot oiled pan and DO NOT MOVE IT for 3 minutes.

Cook the dish part-wise, bit-by-bit in small portions.
>>
>>8259299
What type of resutrant does your dad own?
>>
>>8259248
no

no
>>
Don't forget the MSG
>>
>>8259411
the wok and the wok chimmey gets fucking hot compared to the shitty stove top you've got.
>>
>>8259299
what breed of cat is the leanest?
>>
>>8261369
I prefer to eat cats that have paws, whiskers, and a tail. But some people prefer cats that have eyeballs, teeth, and a tongue
>>
>>8259315
>Brothers Green Eats

Exactly what I was looking for in this thread
>>
>>8259259
I see people make makeshift brick burners. Pizza fron them is ok.
>>
>>8259259
Deep fryers are cheap but for my purposes frying in a pan is good enough
>>
>>8259299
How do I make the brown sauce that comes with the broccoli
>>
>>8259299
Got any stories? Got any recipes?
>>
>>8262219
It's pretty easy to make.

The regular brown sauce is just a mixture of soy sauce, chicken stock, black pepper, garlic and a heaping of sugar and msg. It's thickened with corn starch in the cooking process. Depending on what we are cooking, we add additional ingredients to the base sauce to make a variety of dishes.

>>8262229
I don't really have any exciting stories while working at the restaurant but my dad is pretty based. My dad was a rural farmer for 25 years and was lucky that the village saved up enough money for him to move to the city. In the Guangzhou he worked as a dishwasher and didn't know the language at all. Eventually, he learned to cook by offering the head-chef cigars and telling him to take a smoke break, in return the head-chef would let him experiment with the wok which is how he learned to cook. A year later he becomes headchef.

We live in Australia now so he can eat meat whenever he wants instead of once a month. Good times bros.
>>
>>8259299
>I work as a chef

time stamp pic with wok or i call bull shit
>>
>>8262308
It's 9pm atm, ill take a pic tommorow
>>
File: 20161109_050144.jpg (797KB, 2240x1344px) Image search: [Google]
20161109_050144.jpg
797KB, 2240x1344px
>>8259242
>>8259259

Buy yourself one of these. They're only around $30.00. They get hot enough to cook most heat intensive Asian dishes.
>>
File: 20161109_050023.jpg (857KB, 2240x1344px) Image search: [Google]
20161109_050023.jpg
857KB, 2240x1344px
>>8259242
>>8262416
>>
>>8259242
Super easy egg-fried rice:

>Cook some rice
>Leave for a couple hours-couple of days in the fridge
>Heat sesame oil in wok
>Fry rice
>Chop some spring onions diagonally
>Add to rice
>Beat 1-2 eggs in a bowl with sesame oil
>Move rice all to one side
>Put egg mix in wok
>Let it cook for a minute or so
>Break up and mix with rice
>Add soy sauce to taste, serve asap
>>
>>8259321
Old rice is key to making cheap takeout style fried rice.
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.