[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

When frying potato pieces how do you know if the oil is too hot?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_20161103_161928826.jpg (1MB, 1456x2592px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161103_161928826.jpg
1MB, 1456x2592px
When frying potato pieces how do you know if the oil is too hot? I don't have a thermometer.
>>
You get a thermometer. Its not expensive.
Seriously, why would you ask how to measure a scientific variable like temperature, and then say you dont have the instrument you need to measure that thing? That's just fucking stupid.
>>
>>8245056
Put in a wooden utensil and then see if there's bubbles on it after it's in there for a few seconds
>>
>>8245056
Carefully lower a piece of potato into the oil. If it starts bubbling, the oil is hot enough.
>>
>>8245067
I'm slightly retarded, I hit my head when I was a kid. I meant that are there any visual clues to know if the oil is the right temperature. I'm gonna order a thermometer off Amazon sometime.
>>
>>8245070
this works pretty well. thermometer would obviously be better though
>>
>>8245081
If you want to use the ye olde method of your great grandma's mystical intuition, I'm sure there are some visual clues to guide you.
Its called "winging it" aka "guessing". There's a reason why grandmas food sucked, and its because she had no fucking idea what she was doing, and thru trial and error, once in a while got it right through pure luck.
If you are experienced enough and do this all day long, you can probably get repeatable results through practice, but I doubt you have the same experience grandma does. So just go buy a fucking $3 thermometer instead of trying to use magic to determine oil temperature.
>>
Put your finger in it. You will immediately know if it's too hot.
>>
put a handful of ice in it
>>
>>8245070
i do that too but i use toothpicks. no cleaning required afterwards.
>>
this is why this site is going to die.
>>
Put a small chunk of bread in the oil. When the oil is doing to the bread what you want it to do to your food, it's hot enough.
>>
If spraying a little water inside sends you to an overnight stay at the ER, it's probably too hot
>>
>>8245403
This desu. Pretty common practice for anyone who doesn't have a legit deep fryer
>>
File: voWs7KY.jpg (3MB, 4104x2736px) Image search: [Google]
voWs7KY.jpg
3MB, 4104x2736px
>>8245101
>There's a reason why grandmas food sucked, and its because she had no fucking idea what she was doing
hue hue this made my night
>>
>>8245056
Run some water over your hand and flick a couple drops into the oil. It'll spit if it's hot
>>
>ctrl+f ice
>2 results
glad to see im not the only one who does this
>>
>>8246640
Yeah, ice really is the best way to check.
>>
Throw a popcorn kernel in

When it pops the oil is around 150c/300f
>>
stick your hand in there, see how it feels
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.