[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What do you gets get your inspiration to cook new things from?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: let_him_in.jpg (96KB, 540x527px) Image search: [Google]
let_him_in.jpg
96KB, 540x527px
What do you gets get your inspiration to cook new things from? I've been trying to become more creative when I cook but I'm limited to the same things I see everyday.
>>
>>8240118
Google.
>>
>>8240118
Ethnic grocery stores.
>>
>>8240145
This, chink stores are a goldmine
>>
>>8240145
>>8240154
How do you mean?
>>
>>8240163
"the hell are these noodles?" "The hell are these mushrooms?" "The fuck is this vegetable?" "Can my body survive this sauce?"
>>
>>8240163
dawg you ever heard of hennessy eggs found that at a best buy its just eggs pickled in hennessy
>>
>>8240118
For me there are three main sources of inspiration:

Eating out - If I go eat at someplace interesting that's likely to inspire me to make dishes in that direction. This especially applies to restaurants that do cuisines from other countries. If I get a benchmark for what the food is supposed to taste like it's not all that difficult to reproduce it in my own kitchen.

Travel - Visiting a place with a decent cooking tradition usually means a few dishes from that tradition will find their way into my home cooking afterwards. The most inspiring places I've been so far have been Italy, Spain, Morocco, Greece, France, Japan and Mexico. But I've learned some stuff from Germany, Scandinavia and even Switzerland. Travel is amazing if you can manage to pull it off.

Immigrant friends - Most of what I know about wine came from hanging out with people who immigrated from France, Spain and Italy. When I first started cooking I had access to a few immigrant mothers who showed me some basics. These included a Portuguese, a couple Italians, an ethnic Greek from Turkey and a Cantonese home cook. That was a great start. Living in a place where many immigrants settle I've since been schooled by various Caribbeans, Mexicans, Poles, French, Italians, Thais, Japanese, South Asians, various Middle Easterners and Chinese, as well as the children of immigrants who learned their parents' cooking. And they tell me where to get the ingredients I need to make those cuisines. I'm thankful to live in a place where ingredients like bitter melon, curry leaves, fava beans and za'atar are barely exotic.
>>
Usually drunken bullshitting with one of my friends,we're on the same level most of the time and both don't mind spending a shit ton of time in the kitchen doing something that may or may not work out.

My housemate (who I share meals with) isn't very adventurous. So I have to tone some of my spur of the moment things down.

Eating out also helps, and so does browsing the internet.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.