[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Me and my dad are trying to make Thai Tea, but so far it tastes

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1

File: thai-iced-tea-recipe-5.jpg (161KB, 550x720px) Image search: [Google]
thai-iced-tea-recipe-5.jpg
161KB, 550x720px
Me and my dad are trying to make Thai Tea, but so far it tastes absolutely nothing like the drink as I know it. The recipe we used called for steeping star anise, cardamom pods, vanilla beans (we just used vanilla extract because c'mon), cinnamon, and mixing that with actual black tea and sugar.

So far it just tastes like thai tea. It tastes ok I guess but it's more like normal tea with some Torani syrup in it or something, not at all what we were looking for.

Anyone on /ck/ ever made it, or at least could point me in the right direction?
>>
You can't use normal sugar, you need palm sugar for that. I think you can find them in asian markets.
>>
Use Thai tea mix. It's what the restaurants do.
>>
>>8228678
Yeah but that's not nearly as fun

>>8228673
>palm sugar
thanks, literally have never heard of this before
>>
lemme know how it goes OP
I've been thinking about making my own thai tea for a while (i wanna make thai tea ice cream or custard)
>>
Go to an Asian market, look for a foil bag with a big thumbs up on it and has Thai writing all over. I think it's called number one brand. It's what a lot of Thai places use. Just mix it with some sweetened & condensed milk and some evaporated milk.
>>
>>8228715
thats boring
>>
>>8228723
You still have to brew the tea, I kind of made that sound like you just mix it like some nesquik shit
>>
>>8228753
you're still basically using nesquik, just with a teabag
>>
>white people try to recreate thai tea from recipes made by other white people
First of all, unless it is making the dark Thai tea, no Thai will do it with spices at home anymore. No one. Throughout Thailand, it is done now with the Thai tea blend. That is sold in large, see through packages. They weigh 500g each.
Inside it has tea fannings, flavourants and red colouring powder. This is for the light Thai tea, which is the one in your picture. The dark Thai tea is different and not the same thing. The dark Thai tea is not popular with tourist tastes.

All you need to be make the light Thai tea at home is the Thai tea blend, water, sugar (and/or condensed milk) and evaporated milk.
You must heat the water. Pour the water over the Thai tea blend. Stir the tea and water. Let tea and water steep. Strain. Filter through a tea sock (if desired, to remove all particulate matter). Sweeten to your taste with the sugar (and/or condensed milk). Allow the Thai tea to get cold. Pour the Thai tea over ice in a cup and lighten as desired with the evaporated milk.
It is not difficult to make. Please try for yourself!
>>
>>8228760
You forgot fish sauce
>>
>>8228760
this is the stuff i get when i got to get ban mi or pho. it's delicious and the milk comes in a tiny pitcher to add to taste. awesome stuff.
>>
>>8228760
>dark Thai tea is not popular with tourist tastes.
this.
> muh authenticity
fucking westerners.
>>
>>8228801
>fucking westerners.
Enjoy your modern home, electricity, computer, medicine, sanitation, water treatment, etc. Don't worry, we white people don't expect thanks or gratitude from the uncivilized folk.
>>
>>8228760
How do you make the dark Thai tea?
>>
>>8228665
My dad and I*
>>
What are you even doing, OP? Go to the asian market and get the tea mix that you brew at home. Then add half and half and condensed milk.
>>
You do need the vanilla beans, also use cinnamon branches
>>
>>8228801
> muh authenticity
Eh, authenticity adds to the experience imo.
>>
>>8228665
Use actual Thai tea
It's cheap on amazon
You just boil the tea leaves, filter it, mix in sugar + dairy (milk, cream)
And there you have it, restaurant quality Thai tea
>>
>>8228683
it's legit good, anon

give it a try
>>
>>8228665
condensed milk, anon
>>
>>8228665
you need kaffir lime and lemongrass too
>>
>>8228715
Yeah, this. I tried replicating Thai tea by using black tea steeped with spices and it just didn't taste the same. Ended up buying a bag of Number One Brand for less than 4 bucks at an Asian market and it's good stuff.

I use 1 1/2 - 2 tablespoons of the mix per 1 1/2 cups of water. Boil water, steep the tea for 10 - 20 minutes. Add cinnamon stick/cloves/star anise/whatever if you want. Strain, add sugar or condensed milk - 2 to 4 tablespoons depending on how sweet you like it. Let it cool for a bit, or just immediately pour over ice. Add evaporated milk (or coconut milk or half-and-half).
>>
>>8229008
first thing I thought too
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.