[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I have a 2lb ribeye. How do I cook this bitch to perfection?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 5

File: big steak for you.jpg (546KB, 1275x1435px) Image search: [Google]
big steak for you.jpg
546KB, 1275x1435px
I have a 2lb ribeye. How do I cook this bitch to perfection? It's over 2 inches. The only thing I have is a stove top and no cast iron.
>>
>>8221333

You ain't gonna get perfection with a choice steak, anon.

anyway, since it's boneless the best method would be to sear it on the stove top and then transfer it to the oven to finish.

If you don't have an oven then you have no choice but to just cook it in a pan.
>>
>>8221333
Go to a local park and use the public grill

Bring a wire brush because it will be either filthy or rusted
>>
>>8221333
Sous vide for at 126f for two hours,
sear in pan after
>>
Id pan seare with a rub and broil
>>
that's a roast, not a steak.
>>
Not OP but I pretty much stopped eating steak because I don't have a barbecue right now. Barbecue is the only way I have ever cooked steak. Should I get a cast iron grill pan?
>>
>>8221333
You bought a USDA Choice steak? Make soup out of it.
>>
>>8221381
Just use a standard cast iron pan to sear it you can get a very nice satisfying crust searing on the stove with one of those
>>
File: staek7.jpg (338KB, 1257x943px) Image search: [Google]
staek7.jpg
338KB, 1257x943px
>>8221378
It's a steak. I asked for a 2lb ribeye and that's what I got. They didn't have any bone-in left because it was late at night.

>>8221384
no

>>8221362
>public grill
disgusting, no thanks

>>8221374
can't broil

>>8221381
grilling is nice but not an option

>>8221363
I don't know how to sous vide without the proper equipment.

>>8221351
right, no oven. I just don't know how to go about pan-cooking it.

Maybe on medium heat and flip often? Medium high? It's so thick that I don't want it to turn into rubber on the outside and uncooked meat on the inside. Thoughts?

For the record, I didn't pay for the steak. $6.99/lb for a ribeye is good, even if it is Choice. I'm just trying to cook it the tastiest way possible, I realize it's not Prime. It's from Kroger ffs. pic related was medium rare, regardless of how it looks on the outside.
>>
with a thick steak and no oven the regular flipping method is the best way. like every 30 seconds. baste it with butter towards the end.
>>
File: 1451103236233_0.jpg (2KB, 118x126px) Image search: [Google]
1451103236233_0.jpg
2KB, 118x126px
>>8221407
>>
>>8221333
look up "reverse seared steak"

pretty much you sear both sides then put it in a super low oven for a while
>>
>>8221407
>disgusting, no thanks

What's disgusting about it? You will be lighting a FIRE in the grill. No matter what crud may have been on it, the grate will be sterile when you put your steak on it due to the heat.
>>
>>8221333
>choice

cut it into chunks and make delicious stir fry
>>
>>8221424
This is probably what I'll do, thanks. Going to be hard to judge the inside temp with no thermometer, but I'm sure I can get it close to medium rare or medium.
>>
>>8221537
me n the lads used to piss in those things after nights at the pub
>>
>>8221333
Just cut it in half and cook it in a pan. You won't have your huge thick steak, but you'll probably be able to cook it more to your liking.
>>
>>8221333
$6.99 a pound is gonna be crap. Feed it to the dog and go get a good steak.
>>
File: steak9.jpg (380KB, 1257x942px) Image search: [Google]
steak9.jpg
380KB, 1257x942px
>>8221781
I have cats and they don't eat beef.

>>8221749
Nah, I've wanted to cook a steak this large for a long time, glad to get the chance.

All else fails, I'll bust out the Heinz 57.
>>
>>8222026
Do you have a thermometer?
And ice cubes?
Ziplock bags?
>>
>>8222038
No, yes, yes. I have a thermometer but it can't work with a steak.
>>
If you have a pan or pot with a cover, throw it in there with some butter on a very low setting. Flip every 5 mins. It'll take awhile but it will ensure its cooked and tasting good. Add spices/oil etc to your liking towards the end.
>>
>>8222082
You can sous vide on your stovetop, monitoring the tempeature of the water and adding ice cubes if needed.
>>
I managed to procure a tiny oven for my steak so I will be using the reverse-sear method. I'm cooking it at 250F for maybe 1h 15m . I'm not sure how long to leave it in the oven for. Going to sear on a hot pan 45s each side when done with the oven.
>>
>>8221333
if you have a pan with a lid, sear it, deglaze the pan, and then turn the heat down to low and cook until the steak hits 125 deg F. Rest it for 10 min and it should come out to a nice mid-rare.

if you don't have a pan with a lid, just make 2 lbs of tartar.
>>
>>8221333
you dont have a cast iron pan but you had enough money to buy this shitty steak for that much money
pro tip: return the goddamed steak and buy a fucking skillet and a $5 steak and make it fucking right you bitch
>>
File: 1308592083890.jpg (37KB, 396x577px) Image search: [Google]
1308592083890.jpg
37KB, 396x577px
>>8222026
>bust out the Heinz 57
why the fuck are you even eating steak
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.