[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/ck/ please help, has this meat gone bad? Sell by date is Oct

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 3

File: 20161025_062444.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20161025_062444.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
/ck/ please help, has this meat gone bad?

Sell by date is Oct 24th. I bought this yesterday for discount price because it was the last day, but it did not look like this on the shelf. It turned this color overnight.

I would just throw it out, but meat is expensive and I am really poor atm.

Can I eat this if I cook it today or is it rice and beans once again?

Thanks...
>>
>>8217773

It'll be fine. Cook it, smell it and if you don't like the smell don't try to eat it.
>>
>>8217773
It's just a bit oxidized or something. It's still good. If you're afraid cook it on high temp for ten minutes. You'll be fine anon.
>>
>>8217775
This
However I cooked some off smelling chicken a few weeks ago and didn't get sick or diarrhea. Just as long as you cook it well done and microwave it if you're going to reheat later.
>>
>>8217773
Smell it first, to be honest it just looks a bit oxidised, probably safe to eat.
>>
>>8217777
Nice quads anon.
>>
>>8217773
>Sell by date is Oct 24th. I bought this yesterday
If you're so poor stop throwing your money away on expired food
>>
Bro if I could afford to buy the steaks that weren't on managers special I would love to ;__;
>>
>>8217791
Then get something other than steak, there's tons of other meats that are way cheaper and just as delicious
>>
>>8217773
>but it did not look like this on the shelf.

I used to do commercial lighting. I learned that grocery stores use different lighting in different areas/displays. Meat case displays would use florescent lamps that had a slightly more red color to light to make the meats look fresher. The produce displays have a slightly more blue output of lighting to make the greens pop out.
>>
>>8217783
Usually this comes with a discount.
Think before being an asshat.
>>
>>8217775

This.

Meat changes color based on exposure to oxygen. The color change has nothing to do with the meat going bad or not.
>>
>>8217773
It's fine. The package probably wasn't 100% airtight and some oxygen got in. Very rarely does a cut of beef go bad right after the best buy date.

PROTIP: brown is the normal color of meat.

>>8217791
Managers special is a godsend. It's all the meat I need. Just freeze it if you aren't sure you're gonna eat it within a couple of days.
>>
>>8217773
Use your snoz son. If it smells like shit just toss it or give it to a next door neighbour for their pet
>>
>>8217773
If it smells bad then you should throw it out.
If it's slimy then you should throw it out.

Like other anons said, it's probably oxidized because it's past its prime but it's probably still safe, if you've had it in proper temperature then one day past sell-by date shouldn't hurt you.
>>
>>8217773

skip to 9:10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxCT_D6HBd8
>>
>>8217783
>falling for the "use by" meme
>>
>>8217773

They hang beef for 28 days. 1 more day isn't going to change anything. Stop being a faggot and get that shit cooked.
>>
It's fine. A good sear will kill most bacteria anyway
>>
>>8218532
It's not the bacteria itself that's the problem since like you said most if it will die, it's the toxins those bacteria produce that don't get destroyed by cooking
>>
>>8218662
>meat toxins not destroyed by cooking

Name one.

Protip: you can't.
>>
>>8218748
Bacillus and Clostridium are two I can think of right away. The spores they leave behind after growing can't be killed by cooking and can give you botulism.
If you were right there'd be no reason not to eat rotten meat.
TLDR; you're a dumb fuck.
>>
>>8217773
If it smells off I wouldn't eat it
But meat browning is normal
>>
>>8218761
this

op be careful but its ur meat do whatever
>>
>>8218761
Bacillus and Clostridium are genus names, not toxins. I assume you meant the toxin produced by clostridium botulinum which causes botulism. You are correct boiling at 212F does not kill the spore but it does break down and render the toxin harmless, which is what I asked you to name. The spore will not produce toxins in your stomach due to the acidic environment. Another protip: botulism bacteria spores are found everywhere in soil so almost all your vegetables are covered with them.

You've now earned the designation butthurt fagfuck asshat imbecile. Care to increase your level of Neanderthalensis?
>>
Cook it through to be sure.
I wouldn't eat it as a steak, but you could probably slice it up for fajitas or something.
>>
>>8218761
clostridium botulinum is in honey and on sunflower seeds too lol you're not dead yet right?
>>
>>8218865
It does not render the toxin useless otherwise food poisoning wouldn't be a threat. While gut flora is effective it isn't going to keep you healthy 100% of the time.
>>
>>8219023
>gut flora
stop using this word you hacks. It's called gut microbiota
>>
>>8217808
listen to this man. our of all the stupid things people do this is the most stupid.
specially because half of these steaks end up tasting like nothing other than steak sauce.
>>
>>8219023
Are you trying to reach Austrolopithecus level? People get botulism when the toxin is present because they don't cook it long or hot enough.

Having said that, I don't recommend eating food contaminated with botulism toxin, primarily because people are generally too stupid to cook it long enough at a high enough temperature.
>>
Interesting to see the meat comes from Food Lion. The original Belgian supermarket Delhaize kept using the same logo in their US supermarkets apparently. The meat is absolutely fine. I speak from experience.
>>
File: IMG_0825.jpg (188KB, 1299x1299px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0825.jpg
188KB, 1299x1299px
>>
File: 1475945563754.gif (568KB, 200x136px) Image search: [Google]
1475945563754.gif
568KB, 200x136px
>>8218532
>>8218662
>>8218748
>>8218761
>>8218865
>>8219023
>>8219036
>>8219149
>>
>>8219149
People who grow up poor and are used to eating meat looking like that know to.
As an adult I struggle not to overcook my meats. Dat paranoia.
>>
>>8217777
Checked
>>
>>8217773
If it smells bad or has a slimy iridescent sheen, then nix it. Otherwise you're probably fine.
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.