[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm about to make some fried rice so tell me if this sounds

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 6

I'm about to make some fried rice so tell me if this sounds right:

-Heat cast iron up with some veg oil
-put in cold rice and chopped veggies
-stir and add soy sauce after a big
-plenty of butter
-add eggs and cook then stir more
-salt and pepper

Anything else I should do
>>
I always do the rice separately in a Teflon pan or else it sticks something fierce.
>>
Don't add the sauce while cooking, it makes it extremely soggy, use the oil very sparsely and add lots of butter, don't use extremely wet vegetables, soggy rice is disgusting and happens a lot, try to keep as much liquid out of the rice as possible
>>
>>8215924
i like msg in mine
>>
That would probably work, but it's not the way I learned how to do it.

>Oil in pan (nonstick is good)
>put in veggies that need longer cooking times
>put in eggs, scramble
>add other veggies
>add cold rice (cooked the day before and refrigerated)
>add soy sauce when rice gets warm and vegetables are almost done
>cook until its finished
>season

I doubt there's one "authentic" way to do it, but it's what learned from Asian people and other people who have learned from Asian people. And it always turns out pretty well for me.
>>
>>8215924
No, no.

>heat up the pan with some oil
>cook some garlic and onion
>then the rest of your veggies, adjust for time (hard veg like carrots will take longer than soft ones like peas)
>add rice and some cilantro and cook for a bit
>make a little space and scramble/add your egg
>add soy sauce, sesame oil, fish oil (optional), a dash of lime, and pepper
>cook until it's all dry and done
>>
File: 20161024_173453.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20161024_173453.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
Turned out bretty gud
>>
Forgot to mention I used one of those sun bird fried rice seasoning packets.

It's got sesame oil and shit in powdered form and makes seasoning it pretty convenient
>>
>>8215924
you forgot the sriracha
>>
File: 1457604012069.gif (618KB, 450x253px) Image search: [Google]
1457604012069.gif
618KB, 450x253px
Wouldn't it stick like mad in a cast iron?

Ive always wondered about this. I see people suggesting use nonstick but won't the nonstick not get hot enough for the vegetables and chicken to stir fry?
>>
>>8218017
>Wouldn't it stick like mad in a cast iron?
Why would it do that?

> I see people suggesting use nonstick but won't the nonstick not get hot enough for the vegetables

You are correct. But there's plenty of shitty recipes for improperly cooked fried rice that will indeed call for nonstick.
>>
>>8215924
I usually do
-oil
-onion/garlic/chilli, dont color it obviously, as well as whatever meat you plan on adding
-veg around here i guess
-add a bit of sauce/seasoning
-cold rice
-eggs
-add the rest of the seasoning
-garnish

i like adding some of the seasoning to the oil, helps coat the rice easier
>>
>>8218048
Well I just suppose that I wouldn't expect the egg and rice to not turn into a mess in a cast iron, since I usually only use mine to sear meat.

Maybe I'll give it a shot in a few days when I have some leftover rice.
>>
>>8218017
Look for a "carbon steel" wok. Lower irpn content. Less heavy, easier to move around as needed. It's good enough for the Mongolian BBQ restaurants.
>>
>>8218068
Tbh i don't think i don't think I would get a lot out of a wok since I have an electric stove. I've heard flat bottomed woks are kind of meme tier.

I do have a carbon steel skillet I picked up from Lodge a while back floating around at my parents. I'll have to get it when I go home one of these days. Side aren't as high though, which might actually be a problem.
>>
>>8218068

The difference in "stickiness" between cast iron and a carbon steel wok is non-existent. Both require seasoning.

The reason why carbon steel is lighter is because it's thinner. A carbon steel wok is stamped or hammered from sheet metal so it can be very thin. A cast wok has a certain minimum thickness for the molten metal to pour into the mold.

>> It's good enough for the Mongolian BBQ restaurants.
Yep, they are the standard. But unless anon has a very powerful gas burner they're largely useless. A flat CI pan would be a far better choice using a typical home stove.
>>
>>8218074

If you have an electric range then you can't rely on its heat output alone. You need to save up the heat in a thick heavy pan. CI is ideal for this due to its thickness and weight.
>>
>>8218085
>>8218093
Okay, thanks for the tips. Maybe I'll look into a carbon steel flat wok then if I find my other pans to be lacking in height.

I really like fried rice I just never make it for that reason
>>
>>8218109

A flat wok is functionally identical to a skillet or a saucepan. There's no point in buying one, ever.

If you have a strong gas burner then get a normal round-bottomed wok.

If you don't, use a CI skillet.
>>
Allways add sundried tomato to fried rice my dude
>>
File: Yummy-fluffy-rice.jpg (246KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
Yummy-fluffy-rice.jpg
246KB, 600x400px
>>8218017
>Wouldn't it stick

As long as you don't overcook your rice like >>8216034 did (and pic related), nothing will stick. Take it easy with the water.

Raw meat won't stick either as long as you marinate it in a bit of salt first.
>>
>>8215978
To add on to this, be super careful with the amount of sesame oil. Too much and you've ruined it, and you don't need that much either. Let the smell be your guide, smell both the oil and the dish as you're cooking.
>>
butter? baka
>>
What all do you guys put in your fried rice? I normally go with
>onion
>garlic
>carrot
>green bell pepper
>mushroom
>egg

Looking for some more ideas to give it some more flavor
>>
File: La-Doubanjiang.jpg (54KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
La-Doubanjiang.jpg
54KB, 600x400px
>>8218695
>ideas to give it some more flavor

The trick that restaurants use and that you won't see in whiteboy recipes is the very first step: You start by frying an aromatic spicy paste like doubanjiang in the wok before any of the other ingredients go in.
>>
>>8218114
But when you're cooking a larger volume, wouldn't the sloped sides be useful to ensure you don't overcook anything?
>>
>>8218695
grated ginger
sesame oil
>>
File: ive had enough.jpg (9KB, 240x204px) Image search: [Google]
ive had enough.jpg
9KB, 240x204px
>>8215924
>tfw don't know how to make fried rice like they do in chinese restaurant
>>
>>8218711

You will never overcook a stir fry on an electric stove. You have the opposite problem: not enough heat. A wider, flat pan will get more useable heat from a crappy electric stove than a flat-bottom wok will because there is a larger area in contact with the hob.

>>8218724
Just watch a real Chinese person do it, then copy. There's plenty of examples on the old Iron Chef show, which you can watch on youtube.
>>
>>8218735
I've tried man, I've seen at least 2-3 videos where I try to follow the recipe exactly but I just can't get it to taste like they do in a restaurant. What am I doing wrong?
>>
>>8218735
I should add that literally EVERYONE has a different recipe for fried rice it seems, it's always different somehow.
>>
>>8218745
You're not adding enough MSG, obviously.
>>
My personal preference is

roast / sear garlic, shallots, and red peppers on the pan, no oil
remove from heat and chop up
heat a sparing amount of oil and return to pan to briefly fry
add vegetables, cook just a bit, they should almost be raw.
add rice, stir frequently (cold is better, but fresh is okay if its not mushy and you fan it off a bit)
cook until thoroughly heated
add liquids like soy sauce and oyster sauce, adding near the end prevents mushyness
season with black / white pepper, maybe brown sugar
turn off heat and fold in green onion, thai basil, cilantro, or any other leafy thing

you can put pretty much anything in friend rice. cashews, raisins, tofu(cooked in advacned) etc.

>>8218745
see
>>8218709
this is good advice, i have a similar jar thats this garlic black bean stuff, dank as fug when used as anon describes, or try the shallot garlic pepper thing i mentioned, adds a really nice depth of flavor. dont be discouraged, once you get the hang of it, fried rice is one of the easiest and versatile things to make
>>
I'm actually making stir fried rice tonight so this thread is great.

If you want to add in meat to the dish, should it be added in with the rice etc or cooked separately? If together, when is best to add in the meat? I'll be using chicken if that helps.
>>
>>8218766
I'd cook it first since it probably takes longer than anything else, then follow the steps anons listed. Might be easier to cook separately, get it to the way you like it, then toss in near the end. I did this until I was a bit more comfortable making everything and able to move fast. Thats another thing to keep in mind, each of these steps are only for like two minutes
>>
>>8218830

Thanks anon! I don't make stir fry too often so I think I'll cook the chicken separately. I'm paranoid about overcooking the chicken if I toss it all together.
>>
O Y S T E R
Y
S
T
E
R
>>
>>8218745
>What am I doing wrong?

Hard to say given that you didn't describe your procedure. But it's most likely one of two things:

1) You don't have a powerful enough heat source.
or
2) You are omitting important seasonings. There is nearly always something funky and fermented in restaurant-style fried rice. Could be doubanjiang, could be shrimp paste, could be tienmenjiang, could be oyster sauce, etc.
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.