[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

CALLING ALL AMERICANS , I want to try making a "philly cheese

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 5

CALLING ALL AMERICANS , I want to try making a "philly cheese steak", what do you guys like on it and are there any big no-nos i should avoid, any particular type of beef i should use etc. would appreciate any advice from people who have had them before
>>
don't listen to stupid faggots telling you food needs to be made an extremely specific way to be "a real ____"

it's chopped/shredded beef + cheese on a sub, make it with not shitty ingredients and it won't matter
>>
>>8204271
God bless you OP. The best sandwhich America has to offer should be experienced by more people.
>>
>>8204271
Rib eye, provolone cheese, fried onions. Mushrooms optionally. The roll is super important, and that's what 99% of cheese steak and hoagie places outside of south eastern Pennsylvania fuck up. Not sure what you can do on that front.

>>8204300
>A sub
sub is code word for shit-tier hoagie
>>
>>8204271
>Philadelphia-Cold-Cuts-Ph(...).jpg
Correct me if I'm wrong Americans, but shouldn't a Philly Cheese steak be served hot?
>>
>>8204310
Are peppers sacrilegious?

Ih agree otherwise. The roll is criminally underrated
>>
>>8204315
I stole this picture from google
>>
>>8204271
the key ingredient in a real philly cheese steak is grease.

is your kitchen clean? have the ingredients been handled in a hygienic way? if either of these are true then it will be impossible to create an authentic philly steak.

but yeah other than that it's pretty simple; just prime rib chopped real thin, maybe some fried onions and hot peppers, and cheese, which should be american, provolone, or whiz
>>
File: IMG_2345.jpg (104KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2345.jpg
104KB, 500x500px
>>8204364
i forgot to mention the roll. it is the s find most important part, after the grease.
>>
>>8204327
Sacrilige maybe, but I think they're fine.

The roll is even more important for cold hoagies, since a less than stellar roll will still seem alright if its hot.
>>
>>8204271
use thinly sliced ribeye or something like that
top with provolone cheese no matter how many actual philly people tell you to do it their way with wiz or American
definitely add fried onions, maybe mushrooms if you feel like it but only onions are necessary
a good non-standard addition is banana peppers, avoid bell peppers though, they are just wasteful filler
>>
>>8204310
This guy nailed it.
>>
File: 350-31889__1.jpg (33KB, 350x350px) Image search: [Google]
350-31889__1.jpg
33KB, 350x350px
Dice some onions, (green bell pepper is optional, as is Mushrooms) cook in pan with good amount of oil and butter (enough oil and butter to still be in the pan when you put the meat in.

Once onions are carmelized a bit use your meat, I recommend you get a 1lb of good quality roast beef from your local deli. You CAN alternatively get a good quality steak and slice it really REALLY thin, but I just do roast beef. Cut the roast beef up and crumble a bit into the pan (use a half pound per sandwich). Feel free to season, I use pic related on it. Cook until roast beef is good and cooked, You'll know, make sure it has a good sear/crisp to it. For rolls try and find a very good hoagie roll, something that's very soft inside, but with a nice crisp to it on the outside, but not too much of a crisp. If your country sells it, get Amoroso rolls. Once your mixture is done while it's in the pan use your cheese. You can choose many, provolone is good, I use American (The quality kind, not the slices shit, though slices work too, that or whiz. If you want Whiz I recommend pic related.
>>
File: 16ozEGS_1024x1024.jpg (64KB, 600x875px) Image search: [Google]
16ozEGS_1024x1024.jpg
64KB, 600x875px
>>8204395
Woops, didn't include my seasoning pic but my whiz pic. Pic related, a good seasoning for it.
>>
>>8204380

You could also go for jalapenos if youre not feeling like a bitch
>>
>>8204410
jalapenos would be fine, but I'd rather go with something tastier like banana peppers
giardiniera would be a much better choice than jalapenos if you wanted spicy, but then you start approaching italian beef territory
>>
>>8204404
grill up some very thinly sliced skirt steak, top with your choice of easily melted cheese and toast to desired finish

optional toppings: grilled onions, green peppers, mushrooms

feel free to use chicken, buffalo style sauce is usually good in this version

wa la
>>
Any kind of good quality grillable beef sliced thin, grill it up with onions, and if you like peppers and/or mushrooms
A good roll, soft but not one that will fall apart on you.
Cheese should be something that melts easily, I like provolone.

Basically grill up the meat, add your veg and cook it nice, make sure everything is chopped up nicely, assemble in the order of bread > meat/veggie mix > cheese, toast if desired, go to town.
>>
>>8204315
That's the restaurant/deli it came from.
>>
>>8204271
carmelize some onions

roast some bell peppers, green is usually prefered over the sweeter reds.

beef? Tri-tip is my favorite for fillies. Some people like to mince the shit out of it, I prefer larger pieces.

Nice big soft hoagie roll is important. The bun is one of those things people overlook but it's the most important thing. Slice it open, butter it, toast it in the pan. I like to add a little garlic though that's not really traditional.

Cheese is always controversial and can start fights. Really it's personal preference. Some people swear by cheddar. Others that fake cheeswhiz shit. Or American cheese. Me I like swiss and provolone.

One other thin that makes phillies great, but it pretty uncommon, is au jus. Get a nice hot cup of au jus, it really brings everything together.
>>
>>8204271
Honestly don't really bother unless you can get a crusty yet soft sub roll (not french bread) and you can buy the steak already cut very thin.

The put it in a freezer and cut it doesn't really work, even with a very sharp knife.

It won't be as good as anywhere in the northeast but if you can satisfy those requirement its might be ok.

Also only faggot tourist put wiz on their cheesesteaks. Everyone else puts on provolone or American. I prefer mayo and onions on mine, but the most popular condiment seems to be ketchup in Philly.
>>
>>8204765
>and you can buy the steak already cut very thin.
or like own a knife
>>
>>8204772
Proper cheese steaks use deli sliced thin meat and they are wide sheets.
>>
>>8204765
you shouldn't put mayo or ketchup on a cheesesteak, it doesn't need no condiment

but east coasters love their shitty condiments
>>
>>8204776
>My white tongue can't handle more than a couple flavors at once without being overwhelmed

Condiments and sauces compliment and make food better, thats why they exist
>>
>>8204271
Something very odd about making cheesesteaks I've found

They actually taste better if you don't season the meat.

It goes counter to everything I've learned about cooking, but they only season if you ask them to in Philly. Whenever I've asked for it or seasoned at home it just didn't taste right and was better without the salt and pepper
>>
>>8204772
Good luck trying to get your steaks that thin without a slicer buddy
>>
File: th.jpg (12KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
th.jpg
12KB, 300x300px
>>8204395
>If you want Whiz I recommend pic related.
>>
>>8204781
lol what?
DO you seriosuly think not being able to handle mayo andd ketchup is a thing any race possesses, or that not wanting these things is a racial flaw?

This is an amazingly absurd stance to hold and I am thoroughly amused
>>
>>8204804
The whole
>A good steak only needs a tiny bit of salt and pepper with no sauce or anything else
Is an exclusively up their ass white person thing
>>
>>8204807
even a fucking bad steak doesn't need mayo or ketchup
>>
Chopped Bell peppers and onions, pan fried until soft
Mozarella cheese
Just a smear of mayo on the hoagie roll
Think cut steak
>>
>>8204821
Yea but it does need a sauce and a good one will be cooked with a lot more than a tiny bit of salt and pepper.

Went to a slightly nice steak place in the US and they said the chef was up his ass and allowed for no sauce with steaks. It was fine but definitely would have been better with something

Went to a 2 star French place in Tokyo. 11 courses. Pretty much everything that made sense to serve with a sauce had the most amazing version of that sauce I'd ever had.

The final course before dessert was Kobe steak. A much better steak alone than what I got at the US place, and it came with a sauce that definitely made it even better
>>
>>8204830
>Yea but it does need a sauce
I genuinely do not think a cheesesteak needs a sauce, thats what the melty cheese is for
>>
>>8204832
Its too dry without a condiment unless you use that disgusting wiz
>>
>>8204781
Nigger, have you ordered steak outside of your miserable shithole?

Have you ever thought "maybe sauce is to cover up shitty quality" ?

Why do you think fast food loads their shit up in sauces?
>>
>>8204746
although this isn't an essential ingredient, as you mention, I'm going to reiterate adding garlic to it. Just a little really complements the cheese and of course steak so well. Even use a bit of garlic powder or salt if you don't have cloves.
>>
>>8204838
i have never even considered it remotely dry with just provolone and onions
>>
>>8204395
Are you fucking retarded. Whiz is an actual product.
>>
>>8204840
>I can't read the thread
>>
>>8204908
Dude, sauces are used to convey new flavors that would be very difficult to create inside the meat itself. Most sauces can be overpowering to the more subtle flavors found in a good steak, salt, pepper, garlic, Chile powder, and a whole host of spices can be used to bring different flavors out in steak.

The problem with a lot of strong flavored spices and sauces is that they can quickly mask the flavor of some meat and steak is a prime example of that. It takes a very good chef to whip up a sauce from scratch that properly fits with a each cut of steak and such.

Also a lot of American's look at a sauce added on their dish as "weird" and it could make them wary and terrified to try it. God forbid someone has an allergy or an "allergy" and sends it back.

I have seen people in the Midwest were I live react to simple shit like Tofu, Yogurt, and at least half of all vegetables as if you are Satan and have insulted and physically hurt them for buying them and displaying it to them.

My favorite was "Oh I was about to eat some of that Eggplant because it looked and smelled really good, but then I remembered that I don't eat eggplant."

Took years to convince my dad to try Greek Yogurt since he thought it was just sour shit he had when he was a kid.

Then again growing up in the 50's with families that fished/hunted a lot of what they ate on one side and on the other side had a stay at home mother who would make sketti with just pasta and ketchup. My grandmother on my dad's side would supposedly season food by glaring at the spice rack from across the room, if she was adventurous she would wave the pepper shaker over the pot, without tipping the shaker over. Also olives and boiled eggs in meatloaf. My grandma was a wonderful and lovely woman and I will always remember decorating Christmas cookies with her, but my dad's stories make me glad she at least knew how to make cookies.
>>
>>8204410

Who the fuck puts jalapeƱos on a cheesesteak?

Make a pizzasteak: cheesesteak + chopped pepperoni + pizza sauce.
>>
>>8204395
>I use American (The quality kind
LLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!
>>
>>8205198
not him but yeah, stronger flavored sauce are used to mask the meat taste,but some sauce are fine, and by sauce i mean none of those pre made garbo sauce. If my steak was good i will only use salt & pepper and butter thats all.
>>
>>8204838
If it's too dry you're doing it wrong.
>>
>>8204310

this is retardation.

you want a cheap shoulder cut, shaved fine or cut thin and then chopped fine.

you want velveeta cheese basically, not hard cheese. you want mild, soft cheese, and processed cheese (which is just cheese added to milk and whey) is better.

that's all you need.
>>
>>8204781

observe, the niggers 'cultural food'

"add ketchup to that shit"
>>
>>8206203

observe the ignorance.

american cheese is cheese plus milk and whey.

it's fine.
>>
>>8207294
On what planet is "american cheese" milk and whey? Not even the most imbecilic poster on /pol/ would agree wth that.
>>
Cook some thinly sliced steak, onions, and peppers with butter.
Layer the into a roll, add mustard and creamy horseradish, top with provolone or whatever you like, broil until the cheese is lightly browned and bubbly and the roll is crispy. That's how I do mine.
>>
>>8207278
You are why they make fun of us. Actually hang out in philly stop repeating tourist bullshit.
>>
There's an easy way. I used to work at a bar, they had frozen philly steaks that you throw on a flat top grill and can just pull apart after a little searing on both sides. They used onions, green peppers, mushrooms, and provolone melted on top and put in a toasted hoagie. It was really good with nacho cheese too. Bobby flay has a video where he melts provolone down to cheese whiz consistency, but I find that melting it directly on top works fine.

When I make them at home I use top round cause it's cheap and thin, throw it in the freezer for an hour and slice it into super thin pieces, it'd be better to get top sirloin (IIRC) from a butcher and have him slice it thin, though. Get's really annoying in a pan because of all the grease. Flat top, thin lean meat, and the hoagie are the "secrets."

You could always take out the racks on your actual grill and get put a flat top replacement piece on it, that'd be nice.
>>
I work at a cheesesteak place and we do many different kinds of cheesesteaks my favorite is the one with chicken, steak, and bacon with some queso and provolone cheese in a toasted bun.
>>
Traditional Philly:

Italian roll
Ribeye steak in thin slices
Cheese whiz (processed cheese sauce)
Optional: sauteed onions

Philly the way I like it:
Italian roll
Ribeye steak in thin slices
Provolone
Sauteed onions included
Green peppers
Mayo
>>
-Cooked oninios and green (and red if you want) peppers
-Either shaved steak (which is more traditional) or flat iron (if you want dope quality) steak
-Good roll, not some fuck huge sub roll or a tiny torpedo roll.
-Provolone

Don't listen o Phillyfags, cheese whiz is SHIT
>>
>>8205198
This. When people hate on steak sauce, they're thinking of A1 and garbage like that. Try a well-made chimichuri or black pepper sauce sometime.
>>
Wage slave at a chain in the greater Philadelphia area here.

Thinly sliced ribeye with slight marbling makes the best sandwhich, but shoulder or stomach cuts wouldn't be bad if one isn't looking to spend an arm and a leg. Provolone cheese, carmelized onions, and sauteed mushrooms are the only things neccesary to the sandwhich. Steak itself is cooked best at lower temps (250ish) with a bit of butter and the rest oil, S&P with a pinch of garlic. Don't tear the stuff up unless you prefer it that way. Hot or Sweet peppers are acceptable as further garnishes, condiments are vile.

As others had said in the thread, the roll is important, if you're going to make one at home, at least get a decent italian loaf from a bakery if a proper submarine roll isn't available.
Thread posts: 57
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.