[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

when it comes to making ribs at home, are they best done in the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 8

File: IMG_9201.jpg (405KB, 3008x2000px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9201.jpg
405KB, 3008x2000px
when it comes to making ribs at home, are they best done in the oven or the grill? got any tips
>>
I use chef john's "winter ribs" recipe
>>
>>8203496

I cook mine in the oven and then finish them on the grill. I brush on a sauce while it's grilling. I've got some going right now, might post pics later if this thread is still up.
>>
>>8203514
do you make your own sauce for cooking or does bottled suffice
>>
>>8203496
3-2-1 method works well
>>
>>8203496

Grill. Smoked. Take your time.
>>
>>8203532

For the oven part I make up my own sauce using red wine as a base. I just use whatever bottled sauce I have on the grill though so I get a nice glaze on them.

YMMV though I wing most of my cooking
>>
>>8203498
me too. it's pretty good.
>>
>>8203496
I have never been able to make non-tough ribs on the bbq that werent babyback how does i git gud
>>
>>8203496
I normally make a dry rub and cook it in the oven, tastes pretty good. Sometimes I put pleb tier barbecue sauce on it too
>>
>>8203496

sous vide them, and then grill them.
>>
>>8203514
can you go into more detail?
>>
The most delicious ribs i've made or ever had were cooked over the bonfire. If you have a firepit, that's the way to go, otherwise use the grill, then the oven
>>
>>8203496

I've found with ribs, slow cooked and wrapped is the best way to go.
>>
>>8203514
this, ultimately
>>
>>8203496
Grill with woodchips, if you can keep the temp under 250; smoker at 225F is best. Oven would be a terribly plebian, 3rd tier idea. If an oven is your only option, do chicken instead.
>>
I boil mine and then seer them in a pan. Afterwords I coat them with kraft bbq sauce and serve to my guests.
>>
>>8204002
>boiled ribs

u wot
>>
worked at Chilis many years ago.
We would put dry rub on the ribs and pressure cook them for about 45 minutes. Cool ribs down and put in fridge. they just throw them on the grill with bbq sauce for 5 minutes when ordered

not saying this is a good way to cook them, just what they do/did
>>
>>8204274
That's even wronger than the oven.
>>
>>8204274
http://foodwishes.blogspot.com/2012/01/boil-n-bake-baby-back-ribs-crime.html

I've never tried it but the results here seem okay. Still probably better with other methods.

At home and wanting to cook inside, I coat mine in a thin layer of dijon mustard then a heavy coating of a spice rub I mixed up myself. I then wrap them tight in foil, place them on a baking sheet with the meatier side down (I feel like this allows them to braise a bit in their own juices). I cook them in the over at 250 degrees F for 2-2.5 hours. This should get them fairly tender but not quite to where I want them yet. I then remove them from the oven and let them cool a bit (so the coming sauce doesn't just run of immediately) before cranking the oven to 325 and begin layering barbecue sauce on in multiple applications. I do a layer of sauce on the top side, then put them in oven for 10 minutes, remove them, do another layer, still on the top side, for another ten minutes - repeat until you get a nice thick shellac. I use just one layer on the bottom but usually get 5-6 layers on the top. During this extra 40-60 mins they get to the tenderness I want. They come out tender but without literally falling off the bone, which is what I prefer. The only thing you need to watch is burning the bottom side and the rib bones sticking out. If your oven runs hot or you're just worried you can turn your oven down to 300 degrees when you do your sauce applications.
>>
>>8204338
>chilis
>pressure cooked ribs

Yet one more reason, as if there weren't enough already, to never order ribs from a chain.
>>
>>8203496
I learned from my parents to boil and then finish on the grill outside. They're never that tender though, so if I was going to do them myself I wouldn't boil.
>>
Dry rub then slow cook for about 8 hours, sauce and glaze in oven for about 30 minutes

AMAZING

Doubly so when smoked
>>
File: vol20100_2.jpg (23KB, 650x650px) Image search: [Google]
vol20100_2.jpg
23KB, 650x650px
>>8204338
Worked for another, similar big chain for several years. They actually steamed baby backs in deep hotel pans with pic related and diluted liquid smoke seasoning. People went apeshit for those nasty things. I've even seen them mentioned here a couple times.
>>
File: IMG_9207.jpg (1MB, 2448x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9207.jpg
1MB, 2448x2448px
goddamnit these got way over boiled. i should have questioned the instructions i followed cause they didn't square/trim the meat

cooking pisses me off sometimes
>>
File: IMG_9207.jpg (1MB, 2448x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9207.jpg
1MB, 2448x2448px
>>8204683
>>
File: ribmonster.jpg (2MB, 2448x2448px) Image search: [Google]
ribmonster.jpg
2MB, 2448x2448px
>>8204696
>>
File: IMG_9209.jpg (1MB, 2448x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9209.jpg
1MB, 2448x2448px
well i'm pleasantly surprised with how it turned out. it wasn't as overly tender as i thought it was going to be. nice bite with a good balance between being tender and chewy. i've only made ribs in the oven a couple times before years ago and this was a lot better. would have a fuller flavor if i was able to smoke it but it's still enjoyable. cheers, /ck/!
>>
>>8204810
What feminine plate for such a masculine meal.
>>
>>8204836
don't dare besmerch floral plates they own
>>
Oven THEN grill.
>>
File: Ribs 1.jpg (62KB, 540x720px) Image search: [Google]
Ribs 1.jpg
62KB, 540x720px
>>8204739
Hehehe, made me laugh, anon.

Is this the ribs general now?

Pre-rubbed for an hour with a blend of paprika, pepperberry, salt, little cumin and ginger powder.

Smoked for 4 and a 1/2 hours at 70c, basted with homemade bbq sauce and butter throughout cooking.
>>
>>8204898
nice. can a charcoal grill work as a smoker? i don't plan in trying to make ribs again without smoking; too much work without enough payoff
>>
>>8204912
If you offset the meat from the heat, burn some wood and add a pan/tub/whatever of water to your chamber for humidity, sure.

Just keep your temperature regular and steady and don't let them cook too fast.
>>
>>8203734
low temp oven cook for a little while first
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.