[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hola, /ck/, I have a question for you. I recently got my own

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: pan.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
pan.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
Hola, /ck/, I have a question for you. I recently got my own place, and my family gave me some hand-me-down dishes. Among them, happily, is a set of older Le Creuset cookware that my mother got like, 20 plus years ago. Most of it is like brand new, hasn't been used once... except this one.

The only pan she ever used was the enameled skillet, and she burnt some shit onto it. I'm not sure how to clean it without wrecking the enamel, so I was hoping you guys could advise? Pic related.
>>
elbow grease.
>>
is the inner part enamaled?

might just need to be seasoned
>>
>>8199664
It looks like gray enamel to me. Looked like bare iron at first, but it's too smooth (even for vintage iron) and you can see where it meets the blue.
>>
>>8199659
That interior is rock hard, so you can scrub at it with a copper or stainless scrub pad, just don't use steel wool. I have an omelet pan like that, and have had to scrub my family members' mistakes out of it before. I've had the pan for well over 20 years now, and it still cooks eggs beautifully. Just scrub it with something that's not steel wool - copper or stainless, or a stiff bristled scrub brush. Rub your soap over the bad parts and let it sit for 10 minutes or more before you start scrubbing.
>>
>>8199659
Bring water to a boil in the pan then add a table spoon of baking soda and let simmer for a bit. Use wooden spatula or spoon to scrape off the gunk.
>>
>>8199671
>>8199664
The inner part is absolutely enameled, it's just grey for some reason. The other pieces, the enamel is a much lighter color (I'd say 'ceramic color', just because that color is exactly what I think of when I think of ceramic shit), but this one is absolutely enameled on the inside, it's just... grey.

>>8199673
>>8199679
Alright, thanks! I'm gonna try the boiling-water-baking-soda thing, and if that doesn't do the trick I'll get the rest off with a scrub pad and elbow grease.

Last bit: I know how to take care of regular cast iron, but I've never owned ENAMELED cast iron before. What's the proper way to clean it with regular use?
>>
>>8199699
>What's the proper way to clean it with regular use?

Treat it like any other (non-cast-iron) pan. Wash it with soap and water. If there is no bare iron exposed then it is dishwasher-safe.
>>
>>8199708
Excellent. I don't actually use my dishwasher; I never have enough dishes dirty at one time to bother running it, so I just grab the sponge and hand-wash everything with warm, soapy water. Glad to know I can just do that with these, as well.

Thank you all for your help!
>>
>>8199724
If it does have exposed metal you can still wash it like normal just dry it well and give the bare edges a quick wipe of oil. You can even season the exposed parts like you would with full on cast iron. On enameled cast iron the rim is often bare. Hard to tell in your pic if that is the case because enamel color.
>>
>>8199806
I'm fairly certain the whole thing is enameled, but I'll give it a closer double-check. I won't bother seasoning it if just the rim is exposed, but I'll be sure to dry the rim and give it a quick oil-wipe if it is, thank you for the advice!

Hell, while I'm at it: what sort of stuff should I be gearing up to cook with these things? I've never owned enameled cast iron before, so I don't know if there's stuff that's harder to cook in them, or stuff that's really nice to cook in them.
>>
>>8199671
enamel can be very rough on the inside. dunno why. it seems misleading.

>>8199659
don't use easy off.
>>
>>8201087
me again. i had a Remy Oliver pan from Stokes. the website called it a cast iron pan. nothing on it being enameled. went to the store, the box says enameled. ask the clerk for more info. she says that the inside is cast iron. only the exterior is enameled. cleaned it and stuck it in the oven to season and the cooking surface explodes. was a bitch to get my money back.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.