[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are some varying versions of Pemmican? I was watching someone

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: pemmican.jpg (319KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
pemmican.jpg
319KB, 1920x1080px
What are some varying versions of Pemmican? I was watching someone on youtube make it, and he mentioned that if you mix dried berries in it, it's shelf life wouldn't be as long.

So, what are some versions that are close to nutritionally complete and don't have berries? Or, how long do the berries actually cut the shelf life, assuming it's stored properly.
>>
>>8197838
Rendered Fat + Dried Meat Powder + Vitamin Powder. It just werkz.
>>
>>8197838
Native americans always mixed berries and minced game, often bison. But they also mixed a lot of tallow and fat which helped preserve it. Doubt you'll be able to stomach it. Just make beef or venison jerky and call it a day.
>>
File: 1476746106357.jpg (28KB, 589x403px) Image search: [Google]
1476746106357.jpg
28KB, 589x403px
>>8197838
Start by stop being a pretentious nigger faggot and eat normal food
>>
>>8197903
I've heard tallow mentioned but I haven't got around to looking it up yet, what is it?
>>8197854
Vitamin powder, huh? Should I just get a good multivitamin and crush it up?
>>
I've always wanted to try pemmican, but if you're really worried about long term shelf life there are much better, modern options
>>
>>8197936
Ya, it's more just something that I would like to learn to make and have the knowledge of how to properly keep it.

If I was really worried about food, I would just buy some cases of bars online.
>>
>>8197908
>nigger
in this case, chug or spearchucker would be a better racial epithet, bud
pemmican is shit and was only good at the time so people would have something that lasted and contained nutrients
>>
>>8197910
>tallow

A rendered animal fat that ends up congealing at room temperature.

Newsflash: you won't like pemmican if you make it traditionally. But if you insist, google native american traditional food recipes and you'll find it. About 5 years ago I thought I'd like to try it, found a traditional recipe thru google and after reading the ingredients and suppressing my gag reflex, decided it wasn't for me.
>>
>>8198037
>found a traditional recipe thru google and after reading the ingredients and suppressing my gag reflex, decided it wasn't for me.
It's fat, meat, and berries. That isn't disgusting at all.
>>
>>8197965
>pemmican was shit

Have you tried it? Cause ya sound like you haven't tried it.
>>
>>8198065
Go for it then. As I said, you can find the traditional recipes on google. There's a cadre of native americans who try to keep the tattered shreds of their traditional culture alive, particularly among the plains indians, who were the primary users of pemmican.
>>
>>8198037
>>8198065
Adding berries increases available vitamins but decreases shelf life. It kind of tastes like dog food when made without. I prefer to make it with elk then use it throughout the following year.
>>
>>8197838
Just dry some berries seperately and mix it in with the pemmican when you prepare it to eat...
>>
>>8197965
>this nigger thinks you just eat the pemmican straight as it is instead of mixing it with spices and vegetables....
>>
No idea but I've just made some of the rye and indian bread off their channel
>>
>>8197965
pemmican is basically a dehydrated food product, if you chew it it's like meat tobacco.

needless to say your supposed to throw it in a soup, not chew it whole, unless it's as a snack and thats your thing
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.