[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is Le Creuset cookware worth the price? I'd love to have

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 6

File: lcde.jpg (19KB, 522x328px) Image search: [Google]
lcde.jpg
19KB, 522x328px
Is Le Creuset cookware worth the price? I'd love to have some nice enameled cast iron but it's so fucking expensive. I see Lodge makes some similar stuff for a lot cheaper but they're generally made fun of around here; is there much difference in quality?
>>
>>8182556
Is that a rubber top? Why do retards put rubber tops on Dutch ovens?
>>
>>8182556
No it's not worth the price. They're really good but a bit heavy. You can get a decent set of pots for half the price but you're paying for the name. Disclaimer Everything in my kitchen is le creuset
>>
>>8182556
I don't know what difference, if any, exists between Le Creuset and its competitors, but I have about five LC pieces now, and they are fucking awesome. If money is really an issue, def. research cheaper options, but I've found that I cook so much more now and eat out so much less that these pots and pans have basically paid for themselves.

Cleaning them can be a bitch, and they're heavy, but those are the only complaints I have.
>>
>>8182576
It's not rubber it's phenol
>>
I have a friend whose rich parents bought her a few le creusets and it is identical to my lodge version which is like 1/6 the price.
>>
>>8182556
I use Staub. Much better in my opinion.
>>
File: Capture.png (90KB, 648x883px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
90KB, 648x883px
>>8182556
>Is Le Creuset cookware worth the price?
>I see Lodge makes some similar stuff for a lot cheaper but they're generally made fun of around here; is there much difference in quality?
No, and nope.
http://thesweethome.com/reviews/best-dutch-oven/

You are paying for the brand-name and little more.
Same is true of All-Clad cookware. Their patent for their Tri-Ply material ran out years ago and now you can get the same heat-distribution properties in other brands for less than half their price or spend the same and get superior performance.
>>
File: Unknown-1.jpg (7KB, 275x183px) Image search: [Google]
Unknown-1.jpg
7KB, 275x183px
I use staub. Half the price and also made in France.

It also has small nipples on the bottom of the lid that help with auto-basting.

Picture related.
>>
>>8182688
I prefer giant nipples
>>
File: dog arms.gif (808KB, 207x207px) Image search: [Google]
dog arms.gif
808KB, 207x207px
>>8182702
breastfeeding wilson youtube

You're welcome.
>>
>>8182556
My Cuisinart dutch oven is a bit thinner than the Le Creusets I've tried, but those were vintage pieces.
>>
>>8182654

>lid actually fits tightly on staub
>this is a bad thing

wtf i hate staub now
>>
>>8182556
It's not worth it in my opinion. It's crazy expensive. Plus, their quality has been going downhill as of late. Many of their pieces have plastic knobs instead of metal. And the iron has been getting thinner and thinner which is counterproductive in a cast iron cooking vessel.

>>8184019
The person who wrote that is clearly an idiot. If he/she desired the stew to cook down via evaporation then you can simply put the lid on askew so it doesn't seal perfectly.

A tight fitting lid is what you want. If you are using it for an application where you desire evaporation just put the lid on crooked.
>>
>>8182584
This. If economics is an issue don't buy Le Creuset. But it's good stuff and worth having if you can afford it.
>>
I looked on their site for a decent size tri ply pot today. They only go up to 24cm, what a joke of a cookware company.

I wasn't looking for anything huge, but atleast something a bit bigger for when I was to cook a large amount.
>>
>>8182556
Yes, anyone who says otherwise is too poor to own one. Le Creuset enameled is a miracle pot that you can do anything but high heat searing in. Cheaper ceramics will lose integrity and crack at higher temperatures, and braising/simmering certain things is bad in pure cast iron.
>>
Generally not.

Try to pick up some old (1970s or earlier) enamelware at fleamarkets or wherever. Quality is usually top notch (if it's been looked after) and you can walk away with it for pennies.
>>
>>8185124
Agreed.

I was given one for a birthday over a decade ago. I've cooked hundreds of meals in it, and they've all come out tasting great. It also still looks like I bought it yesterday (and I'm not too anal about looking after my stuff).

My girlfriend thinks it's too heavy and refuses to clean it.
>>
>>8182556
I have that exact oven in a different color.

Their other products are merely okay but I really like my oven, my thin steel stockpot I got from them is starting to show its age after only 2 years and I have a 2qt saucepan from the early 2000's that's alright.

Everything they've sold me has been great quality but they're not the best in the business and my cast iron dutch oven is still my favorite cooking instrument, followed by my wok and then my Le Creuset oven.
>>
Anybody know a similar brand for the uk market, which also does stainless steel?
>>
File: Corningware ad.jpg (48KB, 372x500px) Image search: [Google]
Corningware ad.jpg
48KB, 372x500px
Daily reminder that cookware achieved perfection in 1958.
>>
>>8182654
That image may be the stupidest thing I have read in weeks. Perhaps months.
>>
File: 1243423564236.jpg (43KB, 1024x495px) Image search: [Google]
1243423564236.jpg
43KB, 1024x495px
>>8182556
If you're in the United States, check out places like TJ Maxx, Home Goods, Marshall's, etc

I've picked up a Le Creuset oval and a soup pot for less than half of what you'd pay for one of them off the site.

pic related is the soup pot and it's fucking awesome. I use it 2-3 times a week, though rarely for soup.
>>
Not worth the price, unless you have money to burn.

Just buy one made by Lodge. I have this one and it works great. They are super heavy. Crock pot may actually be better for many people.

https://www.amazon.com/Lodge-EC6D43-Enameled-Island-6-Quart/dp/B000N501BK/ref=sr_1_1?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1476542728&sr=1-1&keywords=lodge+dutch+oven
>>
>everybody getting nice heavy cast iron shit
>here I am with a glass stovestop that gets scratched from a fingernail
>>
>>8186632
>not using enameled cast iron
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.