[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Things that people add to food that don't actually do anything

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 91
Thread images: 7

File: bay leaf.jpg (182KB, 800x607px) Image search: [Google]
bay leaf.jpg
182KB, 800x607px
Things that people add to food that don't actually do anything but it makes them feel like a chef. I'll start.

>bay leaves
>capers
>"kosher" salt instead of regular
>>
>giant dish
>"and this is my secret ingredient that makes it so good!"
>a pinch of nutmeg
>>
>>8182405
If you want to taste a caper try eating one instead of shoving them up your ass.
>>
>>8182427
I tasted them before and they taste like rabbit shit, which is why I don't put them in my food like a sane person instead of throwing them in everything like a cargo cultist faggot who thinks he's a celebrity chef.
>>
triggered as fuck senpai, good looks lil nigga you got me
>>
I'd like to replicate a meal with and without a bay leaf to actually see if it makes a fucking difference.

Bay leaves are definitely aromatic and unique, but I have my doubts that a single leaf in a big pot does much.
>>
>>8182434
You have a good background on eating shit I see. I myself am still aquiring the taste to recognize camel shit. It so sad to see how no one recognizes the fine details in eating shit.
>>
>>8182456
If you want the authentic bay leaf experience without getting it in your mouth and cutting up your gums, just chew lots of mint chewing gum before each meal. It creates the same taste.
>>
>>8182405
Capers make food worse
>>
File: 0f40e_b.jpg (200KB, 1024x683px) Image search: [Google]
0f40e_b.jpg
200KB, 1024x683px
>>8182491
>>8182405

place a dozen capers on your bagel with cream cheese and lox.
>>
I use kosher salt when I cook because it's easier to visually measure how much is in the palm of my hand before I throw it in whatever I'm cooking.
>>
>>8182711
YOu forgot the onions and herring.
>>
File: killyourselfplease.jpg (427KB, 800x1000px) Image search: [Google]
killyourselfplease.jpg
427KB, 800x1000px
>>8182723
I was looking for a picture and some of them had onions. Vile Jewish habit.

No onions on mine, thank you.
>>
>>8182491
So do bay leaves
>>
>>8182736
Is this how low /ck/ has fallen
>>
>>8182727
Its a reference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFMVW71bDmQ
>>
>>8182737
Where have YOU been?
/ck/ has been 80% pizza memes and fast food threads for what feels like years now.
We fell long ago.
>>
>>8182405

2 bait 2 grait
>>
File: dcs-1625_1z.jpg (172KB, 539x1600px) Image search: [Google]
dcs-1625_1z.jpg
172KB, 539x1600px
>low smoke point
>cooks EVERYTHING with it

Different oils have different tastes and properties when heated and cooked with, you fucking plebs.
>>
File: patty roll.gif (2MB, 500x324px) Image search: [Google]
patty roll.gif
2MB, 500x324px
>>8182755
nice dubs.
I have been enlightened. Thank you good sir.

You know, I never got into that show. Maybe I missed out.
>>
>>8182893
Can't stand how overused (and overrated) olive oil is. Especially when it's used with things that you wouldn't want the flavor of olives in or requires an oil with a higher smoke point.
>>
>>8182456

>but I have my doubts that a single leaf in a big pot does much.

A couple leaves in a big pot will make it smell nice. Add a fuck ton to give a pot of soup/broth/whatever a nice bay leafe smell and taste.

Use a spice bag/bouqet garnis to hold all the leaves together so you dont have to search around for them all later.

>tfw father once reached into pot of rice I cooked, pulled out a bayleaf, ate it, and commented that the rice tastes terrible
>>
I'm really starting to wonder if people ever take this sort of /ck/ shit seriously
Like actually not using bay leaves because /ck/ said so
Would be worth a slight chuckle
>>
>>8182893
>>8182932
Dummies, you never put EVOO in a dish unless you're using it without heating it. You use regular olive oil for cooking.
>>
I use bay leaves a lot. You know you can put more than one in your pot to flavor it. And (this is crazy, I know) I remove them before serving.
>>
>>8182405

>using aromatics like bay leaves is pretentious and pointless

Thanks for your input.
>>
>>8182969
pretty much all olive oil is extra virgin olive oil, whether they put it on the packaging or not. If an olive oil is virgin or not refers to the extraction method, whether it's from the first pressing, the second, or if it's the leftover olives from the process that have been boiled.

With the introduction of hydraulic presses they can get all of it in one pressing, hence it's all extra virgin. The rest of the labelling is all marketing.

I use olive oil in stirfry and on salad. I use peanut oil for frying.
>>
>>8182405
>bay leaves don't do anything
sure bud
>capers
it's not that it doesn't do anything, it's that you don't like them. Stop talking out of your ass.
>kosher salt
I don't know what that is, care to explain?
>>
>>8183278

>kosher salt

It's just like regular salt but with 100% more jew
>>
>>8183302
So it's marine unground salt?
That's the most common salt I'd see someone use.
>>
Fresh bay leaves are much more noticeable than dried.
>>
>>8182953
I bought a bottle of ranch dressing because I never had any and read stories of people dripping pizza in it.
I'm not sure what I'm actually supposed to eat it with. Lettuce?
Not American here, I found it in the "import/exotic" food isle.
>>
>>8182405
"I have never worked a kitchen and my favourite chef is jamie oliver" - the thread.

Bay leaves dont do anything, thats by far the stupidest thing i have ever heard here.
>>
>>8183278
Kosher salt isn't actually kosher. It can be used to salt kosher deli meats.
It's a larger grain than fine salt and smaller than coarse salt. Not much of a difference unless you use volumes to measure dry goods and use way too much salt.
>>
>>8183339
I don't have that in france. It's just coarse or fine salt.
And then a choice on marine, fleur de sel or gem salt.
>>
>>8182405
Kosher salt is lighter and adheres to meat surfaces better which helps develop a good crust.

You wouldn't know, all you do is make 'goza threads.
>>
>>8183331
That's good, that you try things out
It's about the only reason I come here

And sorry, can't help you with the ranch sauce because also not american
But afaik it's used in stuff that has some kind of meat. For example burgers, sandwiches, and uh...well I dunno
Isn't it the same as bbq sauce tho?
>>
>>8182411
lmao my mum actually does exactly this

no joke
>>
>>8182465
How do you not notice it and pull it out of your food? Do you just slam your face into the plate and hork it up like a roomba?
>>
>>8182405
So you've established that you're an idiot.
>>
>>8182405
It's weird but I too have an issue with Bay Leaves.

A lot of recipes call for them but I never seem to get any flavour out of them, I don't use them anymore and it makes no difference.

Capers DO make a difference, don't know why you mentioned this.

Fancy salts are a waste of time if you are cooking with them, if you wish to add salt as a Finishing touch to a salad or something then by all means add your Pink Himalayan Rock Salt.

You don't use EV Olive oil for cooking as it does nasty things to the fats when cooking, use it for a finish and use standard olive oil for cooking.
>>
Are we past the whole himalaya pink salt thing, yet?
>>
>>8182737
Sorry we're not a comfy hivemind anymore, but I just think bay leaves are disgusting.
>>
>>8183471
>but I never seem to get any flavour out of them

That's because you are using shitty bay leaves. The dry ones from the spice isle of the supermarket are nearly flavorless. Get fresh ones.
>>
>>8183331
>I'm not sure what I'm actually supposed to eat it with. Lettuce?

Yeah you put it in simple garden salads, or whatever raw vegetables you like, I like it on Cauliflower and Carrots best
>>
>>8182893
I did this for the longest time. I fucking stir fried with this shit. Finally came to my senses, and now I only use olive oil for low heat cooking where it belongs.
>>
>>8182405
>>"kosher" salt instead of regular
I haven't used iodized salt in years, but then my sister-in-law moved in, and I used her salt shaker because it was close at hand.
JESUS that shit tastes nasty.
You just don't know because you've been eating it since childhood.
Plus, kosher salt is better for dry rubs because of the grain shape.
>>
>>8182405
>"kosher" salt instead of regular
Kosher salt's better, though. It's easier to distribute while cooking, and the shape of the crystals means less "bursts" of salty and more of a general saltiness.
>>
>>8183331
Got ya senpai. Ranch is supposed to be a salad dressing, just put some on lettuce and mixed fresh veggies. Some people (mostly kids) like it as a dipping sauce for stuff like chicken nuggets and pizza crusts. Also hot wings. Generally adults using lots of ranch dressing is considered poor taste but it is not uncommon in America.
>>
>>8183473
>get gifted pink salt
>person is telling me how good and special and magical it is
>tastes like regular sea salt
>next day find out it's just sea salt with traces of metals
>a month later it becomes brown
lol
>>
>>8183366
Not anything like bbq sauce. Bbq sauce is only for meat, not vegetables. Ranch is supposed to be for fresh vegetables but a few people put it on other stuff. And they taste nothing alike.
>>
>>8183331
I put a dollop on my plate and dip baby potato wedges in it.
FYI, the wedges (along with similar sized pieces of onion, carrot and bell pepper) are coated in olive oil and various spices, then baked at 400 for 45 min.

You can also dip broccoli, steak, lots of other stuff too.
>>
>>8183366
No. BBQ sauce is tomato, vinegar and sugar, while ranch is buttermilk and herbs mixed into an emulsion.
>>
>>8183734
>tomato
you're talking about ketchup anon
>>
>>8183739
There are many styles of BBQ sauce. Most of them, and certainly the generic types, are ketchup based.

Take ketchup, add brown sugar, molasses, and spices and you get generic "BBQ sauce".
>>
>>8183739
I mean, technically, you can make it with some other form of tomato sauce. But yeah, basically it's brown, mildly spicy and nauseatingly sweet ketchup.
>>
>>8183350
Actually it's ponounced "'go 'za".
>>
>>8183810
Umm explain to me how you knew he pronounced it the wrong way
>>
>>8183702
http://www.collegehumor.com/video/7040234/when-you-secretly-love-ranch-dressing
>>
Are you trying to tell me literally 80% if delicious Filipino food is just using bay leaves for nothing. Retard.
>>
>>8182405
you are clearly retarded, capers and bay leaves have a very distinctive taste
>>
>>8183518
I just triple the number they tell me to use. They're cheap as hell.
>>
>>8182405
I agree with the capers
but bay leaf is pretty much essential in stews
Plus they're a great sodium substitute
>>
>>8182893
>extra virgin
>for cooking
this triggers the chef
>>
>>8183700
I fucking hate these hipsters with their Himalaya salt
If the salt isn't white, it's contaminated
It could be harmless, but if it's red/pink-ish, odds are you're chewing on metal
you really do not want to be eating the dragonforce of salts
>>
>>8182893
>>8183187
what should i be using instead boys? i have EVOO and "regular" Olive Oil that i use for cooking, should i be using something else?
>>
>>8183344
Kosher is coarse sea salt. Americans are just retarded and Jew-cucked.
>>
>>8183695
>>8183689
This. the bigger crystals also make it easier to tell ow much you're adding to something without measuring, and Kosher salt is actually cheaper than table salt (at least, where I live).
>>
>>8184242
You should use whatever the fuck, it's just oil
>>
Y'all nigs wanna check some real flavor?

Fresh bay leaves.

Full of fucking flavor. It's like the difference between real basil and nasty ass dried basil.
>>
File: tumblr_o7c79zDyWn1qitdj1o2_1280.jpg (71KB, 736x830px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o7c79zDyWn1qitdj1o2_1280.jpg
71KB, 736x830px
u guys know you can burn a bay leaf and get high

this blew my mind

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWLn7CzrnKg

its like a legal dude weed that nobody ever knew about
>>
>>8182405
Your an ignoramus
>>8182405
>>
>>8183098
This
>>
>>8183471
>>8183518
This.

I have a bay tree, and only tend to put in 1/2 or less than any recipe asks for bay leaf. They can be really overpowering sometimes.
>>
This kind of shit makes me think people don't have taste buds.
>>
I also hate bay leafs. Everything tastes better without that shit.
>>
>>8185448

People from Maine or Vermont think like this. They're used to English cuisine that doesn't use a lick of spice. Is that the case?
>>
>>8185452
No and what kind of assumption is this even supposed to be? There are a million other spices, get over yourself.
>>
>>8185459

No I'm talking about old english cuisine, aka, home cooking. They used potato, beef, onion and bread with salt and pepper and perhaps bay leaves from time to time. It sounds like traditional english cuisine. Not fucking with you.
>>
>>8185459

Oh, and sole, haddock and cod. Fish being a staple.
>>
You people have done wonders. It's like watching someone masturbating after being discovered by mother.
>>
>>8184035
Not the same anon, but holy fuck this is a stupid post. Do you have trouble grasping the concept of an apostrophe?
>>
>>8183734
>>8183778
>tomato based BBQ
Exhibit A: How to spot a flyover
>>
>>8182723
Valid.
>>
>>8182405
organic ingredients
>>
>>8187017
lol what? Does NY or California have some special non-tomato BBQ sauce the rest of us don't know about?

If flyovers know anything its BBQ
>>
>>8187290
Agree. The only regional non-tomato based BBQ sauce I can think of is the vinegar mustard North Carolina style.

To be sure, some have less or more tomato, less or more sugar, etc.
>>
>>8182405

gr8b8m8
>>
>>8182405
Good b8.

>rosemary does nothing
>basil does nothing
>paprika does nothing
>pepper does nothing
>oregano does nothing
>thyme does nothing
>parsley does nothing
Keep it going.
>>
>>8185700
Cut me some slack this is a Shit posting thread
>>
>>8182465
Bay leaves don't taste like mint though.
Thread posts: 91
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.