[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Whenever I make spaghetti and meatballs, it's never quite

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: Meatballs.jpg (592KB, 3840x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Meatballs.jpg
592KB, 3840x2560px
Whenever I make spaghetti and meatballs, it's never quite as good as that traditional secret family recipe "bolognese" style sauce where you just throw everything in a pot and simmer it forever.

The recipes are basically the same otherwise, I don't understand. Is there a way to get more flavour while keeping the meat and tomato sauce separate?
>>
I've got the same problem, in the shows all they use for seasoning is pepper and basil, but my sauce always just tastes like... well, canned tomato. If I put in enough pepper, it becomes sort of hot, but still gets no flavour.
>>
>>8178332
aren't you supposed to cook the meatballs in the sauce?
>>
>>8178332
No, the whole point of cooking the meatballs in the sauce is to infuse it. Why do you ever want them separate?
>>
>>8178332
Meatballs: beef, pork and/or veal, garlic, egg, day old bread soaked in milk, parsley, fresh grated parmeggiano, salt and pepper.

Brown meatballs in olive oil. Remove. Add onion and saute 5 minutes. Add garlic, thyme and hot pepper flakes. Cook 1 minute. Add some wine. Reduce scraping up fond. Add crushed good quality tomatos with juice. Heat to simmer and add meatballs. Simmer 1 hour. Salt and pepper to taste. Add fresh basil at very end.

This is always full flavored to me and everyone I've fed it to.
>>
>>8178332
>>8178401
cook in fucking layers. whatever recipes your following is shit. single pot. mirex poix + dry herbs, set aside. pork mince, beef mince, veal mince + s&p + thyme + nutmeg, deglaze with wine, reduce, deglaze with milk, reduce, deglaze with stock. add mirex poix back in, add stock and tomatos, add fresh herbs, add bayleafs, add fish sauce, reduce for 2 hours on medium. the whole point of reducing isn't just to remove the liquid but to tenderize the meat so you need to add more liquid as needed if the sauce is too dry. adjust seasoning. and done. for meatballs cook them in the oven and when they're done, scrape the pan and add the scrapings back into the sauce.
>>
Why would you serve meatballs with spaghetti?
>>
Sweat a shitload of onion with bay leaf before you add anything else. and actually sweat it really nice until the onions are fucking tender, lid on, no color, keep stirring. Start the onions and do this while you get the other stuff ready. Buy good sausage from the wops and just put it into your tomato sauce raw halfway through simmering. Take it out of the casing of course.
>>
>>8178332
The more time you spend labouring over the pot, the more time those scents that indicate delicious food to you will pour into your nose. effectively creating a period of expectation that builds up longer and longer. Almost like orgasm denial, the longer you smell the better the fulfillment of eating the meal will be.

Good luck anon.
>>
>>8178332
Effectively meaning, for best results cook from scratch. the factory workers who produced those food products you are buying already took most of the expectation of the meal away from you.
>>
>>8178332
>(Tomatoes) simmer it forever
Well that's because this produces compounds similar to opiates.
>>
>>8179343
Fuck this triggered me. It has only been one day.
>>
90% of what makes a good tomato sauce is the tomatoes so i'd start there. Meatballs will never beat a meat sauce because of the difference in the amount of fat. You could try adding a bit of lard.
>>
>>8178332
serious italian cook here

there are a few usual suspects if your food is bland

1. your ingredients are rubbish
hydroponic flavorless tomatoes, hydro herbs, or even worse dried
spagetti that is not good (don't ask me how you get bad spagetti but I've eaten it)
mince from the wrong part of the animal, from the wrong animal, or with the wrong fat concentration

2. poor cook times
your sauce should cook between 2 and 8 hours
the meatballs mucs be pan fried (a grill si fine too), then cooked in the sauce.
the spagetti should be cooked in the sause also

3. the stock was bad, you didn't use enough, you used stock cubes, the stock was too weak

4. your meatballs were full of shit that shouldn't be in meatballs
italian-americans will argue all day about what should and should not be in a meatball, I'm only partially qualified to comment
some people say no onion at all
some say grate and wring the onion
most people say equal parts pork and beef

bread crumbs, egg and milk are just to help it hold together, don't be filling your meatballs full of bread like a shmuck
>>
>>8180249
is san marzano worth the price?
>>
File: been here too long.jpg (14KB, 333x279px) Image search: [Google]
been here too long.jpg
14KB, 333x279px
>>8180260
depends what you are paying for it :^)

but it is a great tomato, the low number of seeds and the low acidity are neat

however it's not nectar, shit is still a tomato
the clever italians try to make it a licensed regional produce (like champagne) to trick stupid white people into paying too much for it

I think you get the best value in most places buying fresh tomatoes, not canned or jarred
the whole point is that you make your own and jar it up

I grow my own, and stick to romas when I buy them
blak russian is great for salad, green is nice with mexican food
I do cherry tomatoes as well, to roast on the vine

>be me
>making pizza
>bought motzerella doesn't puddle
>mfw
>>
>>8179240
because it's better than putting them in a roll.
>>
> no parm
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.