[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Could you make a living off being a farmer, /ck/ or is it

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 3

File: Ccyx3obUUAAK_p5.jpg (90KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
Ccyx3obUUAAK_p5.jpg
90KB, 640x1136px
Could you make a living off being a farmer, /ck/ or is it just all a crapshoot?
>>
>>8178297
>urban farmer

well theres your problem
>>
Farmers that sell two sacks of carrots don't make a profit, those who sell 2 trucks of carrots a day make a profit.
>>
>>8178313
Exactly. You either farm for profit or farm for yourself. There is no inbetween.
>>
>>8178317
Those who sell for profit usually get enough left over for themselves too. The downside is they only produce one damn thing. How many carrots can you eat in one season?
>>
>>8178306
The picture says *most* urban farmers aren't making a living

There apparently is some delusional ones that report they do

My fucking sides
>>
>>8178351
>Those who sell for profit usually get enough left over for themselves too

How about that
>>
>>8178297
Maybe they shouldn't grow tiny watermelons.
>>
>>8178360
you cheeky cunt
>>
>Urban Farmers
The only thing farmed in urban areas I can think off and which could wield any semblance of profit is probably weed.
>>
>>8178351
Only major farms make one thing, smaller farms on a commercial scale tend to make a killing selling a variety of produce because people pay a premium for that shit.
>>
>>8178297
>>8178306
most farmers that aren't megacorps don't make a profit.
making money farming is like black magic that farmers pass down for generations.

also government subsides keep them afloat.
>>
>>8178436
Depends on country and area. If they live in a hipster area, or an area close enough to roll with the 'produce box' meme, I'll agree. Otherwise it usually means one main crop or product. It is counterproductive to divide land into several crops if you only have a main buyer, which is the reality of most farms. It's all about maximising your profit and minimizing expenses.
>>
>>8178306
I think space is more the issue, you need high yield to balance cost of upkeep
>>
>>8178297
What gender is it?
>>
>>8178470
Independent farms that have stayed in the family for generations are generally very profitable due to inheriting the land, expanding the general owned farmland with every generation.

Can't wait for Killary to cut the inheritance ceiling in half and watch all of our agriculture go to absolute shit because farmers won't be able to inherit the land anymore though.
>>
>>8178297
>Could the vast majority of world's population make a living
>>
>>8178481
>Can't wait for Killary to cut the inheritance ceiling
I'm yuropoor, please tell me you're shitting me
>>
>>8178481
Who gets the land then?
>>
>>8178297
unless i get a big ol loan, i highly doubt it. im not even in an area where a hipster organic farm could sell
>>
>>8178297
Depends on where you're at. If you're in the U.S, you'll make a killing. They will literally pay you to not grow shit.
If you can get to shit in Australia, brazil or Africa, youll do alright, weather permitting. Anywhere else, you'll have to tight fist or do without
>>
>>8178506
She wants there to be a 60% tax on inheritance if I'm not mistaken. Save a million for your kids, die, give the government 600,000 of that. It's bullshit
>>
>>8178297
Maybe if you're a land-owning homesteader.
>>
>>8178352
they're called drug dealers
>>
Crapshoot.

Hard work for little reward + being too successful can cause problems, like not being able to your surplus crops sold before they go bad.
>>
>>8178351
>The downside is they only produce one damn thing. How many carrots can you eat in one season?
Not out here they don't. Hell, some plant soybeans amid fresh wheat stubble. Plus there's corn and sorghum, and a few niche crops like sunflower, canola, and maybe a couple of cotton fields.

If you only plant one thing and the weather that year is terrible for that one crop - or the price for that one crop is terrible - you're fucked.
>>
>>8178297
maybe dont pick your watermelons when they're not ripe you stupid bitch
>>
>>8179560
Only if you know fuckall about trusts, corporations, etc. Work with a lawyer and an accountant, and estate tax will be $0.
>>
File: norin_1600x900_0.jpg (205KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
norin_1600x900_0.jpg
205KB, 1280x720px
>ancestral farm bulldozed for condos
>have to live that comfy farmstead life vicariously through Haida totem pole carvings
>>
File: en1114hartman.jpg (104KB, 1200x630px) Image search: [Google]
en1114hartman.jpg
104KB, 1200x630px
>>8178297
If an ex-NFL player cam, so can you. You just need a few million in capital lying around.

He also donates a small portion.

But for real, it's all about research and dedication.

You might be interested in things like aquaponics. Will allen, an ex-basket ball player, has probably the most well known setup.

http://www.growingpower.org/about/leadership/will-allen/
>>
>>8179642
Also, for more information check University websites. They have tons of free information on tons of things.

UF is a particularly good site for agricultural information.

http://smallfarms.ifas.ufl.edu
>>
>>8178297
If you grow weed yes
>>
>>8179650
Oh, yeah, also, this obligatory shit post will provide your plants with plenty of nutrients.
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.