[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Question for you guys. I know you can become accustomed to spicy

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: Spicy-food.jpg (94KB, 525x350px) Image search: [Google]
Spicy-food.jpg
94KB, 525x350px
Question for you guys.
I know you can become accustomed to spicy food, where it's not so spicy to you anymore. But if you do this, does other food become more bland? Is the tongue adaptation that makes it resilient to heat also making it less sensitive to other tastes?
And secondly, is there any good reason to intentionally build a tolerance? For example, does hot salsa have a nice flavor different from mild salsa that you can only appreciate when you get past the heat? Or would it just taste like mild at that point? Thanks
>>
>>8176793
Spicy and bland are not opposite ends of a spectrum. Mild foods can have tons of flavor and spicy thngs can be bland.

And yes, there are spicy foods which have great flavor which you won't appreciate if you can't take the heat. Habaneros are a great example.
>>
>>8176793
i agree with >>8176805
the different chilies you're able to enjoy have different flavors. the fruity flavor of habanero in particular, but also the smoky flavor some have naturally.
also, there are different sauces that you wont enjoy fully if youre overly sensitive to the heat.
>>
But what of your sensitivity? If your tongue can withstand acids, do you taste other things more weakly?
>>
>>8178848
Your taste buds won't burn off from eating hot/spicy food. Or maybe they will temporarily, but they heal back.
>>
>>8176793
From what I've read, the mechanism behind chilli tolerance is primarily through downregulation of the neurons that receive the hot sensation. The nerves that sense heat are separate from your taste receptors, so they should be unaffected.

In other words, it's not that your tongue is generally more numb permanently, it's that your brain is ignoring that specific sensation of heat when it occurs.

Not sure about your second question, I believe there's some evidence about capsaicin making other tastes stronger, but it's based on self reported subjective experience.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.