[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can you eat the broccoli stalk raw or will it give you digestive

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 8

File: broccoli.jpg (25KB, 310x343px) Image search: [Google]
broccoli.jpg
25KB, 310x343px
Can you eat the broccoli stalk raw or will it give you digestive problems?

Decided to eat healthier and I'm starting with kale and broccoli. I hate cooked vegetables though, the texture makes me gag.
>>
Raw kale can give you kidney stones.
>>
Use a vegetable peeler and take off the woody outer layer of the stems and you'll be fine.
>>
>>8175762
Just chew it really well. I also think julienned broccoli stalks are a good addition to anything that you would use florets in.
>>
>>8175762
Yeah, it's fine, but you might get pretty bad gas if you're eating a lot of any high-fructan produce.

But you should consider lightly steaming vegetables.
>>
I'm assuming your only experience of cooked broccoli is your mother boiling it to mush and I can relate.
Fuck eating them raw, don't do that to yourself. Try steaming or stirfrying with a little soy sauce, garlic, chilli flakes etc.
Also like >>8175796 said, the stalks are fine to eat too.
>>
>>8175768
I've got a huge cock so I'm not worried about that.
>>
>>8175852
Does that correlate to wide ureters?
>>
File: RRE 2015 09 19.jpg (86KB, 400x422px) Image search: [Google]
RRE 2015 09 19.jpg
86KB, 400x422px
>>8175762

Started with broccoli as well. That, and spinach. The spinach is bagged. This is the broccoli I buy. The bagged florets kind. Makes life easier.
>>
>>8175762
>Decided to eat healthier and I'm starting with kale and broccoli.

you want to eat 'healthier' so you decide to force fucking raw broccoli and disgusting kale smoothies into your stomach?
you millennials and your retarded self-hating meme diets are the worst
>>
>>8176108
>oh god he's not eating like a manchild like me, better sperg the fuck out!!!!
>>
>>8176108
You're acting like he's quitting all food and just ingesting handfuls of raw broccoli and kale.
Could he not be incorporating kale and broccoli into the foods he already eats? Try turning down your turbo autism before acting like you know more than someone else, fucking retard.
>>
How do you steam already watery veg, and then season it, so that you don't end up with the seasoning/sauce tasting extremely watered down?

There's probably a very simple answer to this, but it's slipped by me.

Just if it's going to taste plain as fuck either way or take 3x longer to prepare I'd rather eat it without fucking with the flavors.
>>
File: cauliflower.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
cauliflower.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>8176108
I like the taste of kale and broccoli though
also cauliflower
>implying everyone is a fat yank who can't eat anything without sugar.

pic related is top tier
>>
>>8175762

Broccoli is probably one of the most unpleasant vegetables to eat raw in terms of taste. However, there aren't any significant negative effects (some nutrients may be absorbed differently but it's still better to eat broccoli than not).
>>
>>8175762
I love cutting up the stalks of broccoli and steaming them for three or four minutes. Just enough that you don't have to chew the fuck out of them in order to get anywhere, but they still retain a satisfying crunch. Steamed vegetables in general are just the best
>>
>>8176540
Oh shit nigger. Tell me more about that cauliflower. Is that tempora battered? It looks so fucking good. I never like to deep fry anything, but that shit looks worth it.
>>
>>8176534
Get a steamer insert for your pot. Theyre probably $2 on amazon. Its like a little metal perferated circle that can expand and contract to the size of the pot.

Thatll keep your veggies outta the water and makes them less soggy. Then I personally just add a little pinch salt and pepper at the end
>>
>>8176606
Can do. How thick would you make the layer of vegetables? For chopping and pot size purposes.
>>
>>8176610

The vegetables can be layered as much as you want, the steam will surround all of it. Personally I just use a colander with a lid to steam my veggies, and it works fine.
>>
>>8176592
I made this version and it was a great snack
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchens/buffalo-cauliflower-with-blue-cheese-sauce.html

minus the blue cheese sauce since i didn't have any. used some dill sauce left over from a box of wings.

its no replacement for wings but its still great.
>>
>>8176615
So the water:veg ratio matters more than the pot. Ok. Thanks!
It feels like I would be healthier today had my childhood veg not been boiled.
>>
File: puta.jpg (29KB, 348x346px) Image search: [Google]
puta.jpg
29KB, 348x346px
>>8176540
>implying everyone is a fat yank who can't eat anything without sugar.
>I eat vegetables the healthy way, battered and deep fried.
>>
File: bamboo-steamer.jpg (33KB, 399x278px) Image search: [Google]
bamboo-steamer.jpg
33KB, 399x278px
>>8176620
Get one of these the size of your pot from a chinese supermarket. They're cheap af. It sits on top.

After steaming, pour your sauce on top (i do a bit of sesame oil or oyster sauce) and shake it to distribute.

Then just put the steamer on a plate to serve out of.

Yeah metal stuff works fine but these are just really nice to use, good cooking feels, i think that matters a lot.
>>
>>8176646
That is not deep friend
>>
>>8175762
stir fry them and they'll actually taste good
>>
>>8176557
lol what

raw broccoli is delicious. So much flavor and satisfying crunch
>>
>>8175935
Yeah, I'm into sounding and regularly use a silicone bladder snake so I'm fine.
>>
>>8176592
You can pan fry it or even bake it if you want. Buffalo cauliflower is tasty as fuck
>>
>>8175762
>>8175816
This, I'll sometimes eat an entire head of steamed broccoli as a snack with some salt and pepper
>>
steaming what you do you with broccoli.
>>
>>8176592
They've made crispy-pseudo chicken dishes using cauliflower:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDvSNj_FewQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGDf7VGuUhQ
>>
File: broccoli-slaw.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
broccoli-slaw.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
Shred it and make some broccoli slaw. Also, >>8175771
>>
>>8176610
I use a bamboo steamer. Can't stand the plastic or metal ones cuz they seem to make stuff soggy. So I line the bamboo steamer with parchment or a cheap green, steam over a saucepan, then dump the water and put the bamboo steamer back on the pot to let the heat dry it out.
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.