[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

This might sound like an overly naive question but... ... What

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: fat.jpg (29KB, 800x532px) Image search: [Google]
fat.jpg
29KB, 800x532px
This might sound like an overly naive question but...

... What exactly is it that FAT (oils, meat fat, dairy products etc) adds to food?

It's well known that fattiness equals tastiness. But if you eat fat on its own it tastes absolutely disgusting. It's like it makes other stuff taste good while being bland and slimy on its own.

So tell me /ck/,

Why does fat make stuff taste good?
>>
>>8174046
>Why does fat make stuff taste good?
Calories are valuable in the wild
Fat is extremely calorie dense
Humans are wired to like fatty foods for this reason
>>
generally it adds flavor but i think people rely too much on it

most foods that people generally put butter on like popcorn and vegetables taste fine with salt only and would not taste good at all with unsalted butter

i've found that replacing salted butter with just salt is a great way to cut calories without compromising taste

that being said fatty meats like a well marbled steak or bbq duck is god tier
>>
You guys are fucking retarded. A ton of flavor compounds are fat soluble, a dish with a lot of ingredients and fat will have a lot of depth of flavor. And you can't brown a steak with water, can you? This board used to be good and informative
>>
Like the other anon said:
A lot of flavor compounds are not water soluble. Some are, but a lot more are lipid soluble.
It's like painting a picture. With cheap crayola watercolors, you can paint a picture, but it might be lacking in depth of color and even variety of color, because crayola watercolors are limited and basic.
But if you were to paint that same picture with more expensive paints, you would end up with a greater depth and variety of color.
Fats are the expensive paints: they bring out flavors that otherwise could not express themselves
Yes I'm a little drunk
>>
>>8174299
Aye.
>>
>>8174299
>>8174317
this is true, but the amount of fat required to bring out the flavors is minuscule

coffee for example, which tons of people inexplicably filter and lose most of the lipids, tastes much richer and sweeter when you brew it using a method that preserves natural oils in the bean
>>
>>8174343
It's not "minuscule". It's all dependent on the recipe, which has likely been tweaked and tuned for generations until the best general dish has come about.
I agree with your coffee thing though.

If you want to eat less fat, just eat less. Don't make inferior versions of food and try to shit on people eating the right way.
I will say that there's an over use of cream, butter and cheese lately thanks to social media food based posts
>>
>>8174351
>I will say that there's an over use of cream, butter and cheese lately

you wrote that whole post disagreeing with me, only to agree with me at the end

wew
>>
Well if you're all done being simpletons now it's because it helps draw stuff into your taste buds that it "brings out" the flavor of other food and it tastes fucking good because we're programmed to seek it out while we're eating other shit because it's dense so make sure you get the fatty parts.
>>
>>8174299
lel. I was going say something similar based on my experience with eating food with no scientific data to back up my opinion but decided against it because I don't feel like being called a faggot today.
But, yeah. In my opinion fat doesn't have any flavour on its own but significantly enhances the flavour of primary flavour profiles.
We're hardwired to crave it because it's difficult to find in the wild.
>>
>>8174362
>dur these must be the only fats that exist
wewlad
>>
File: roast.jpg (143KB, 1024x683px) Image search: [Google]
roast.jpg
143KB, 1024x683px
>>8174070
>fatty meats like a well marbled steak or bbq duck is god tier

This. When you get perfect siu mei and the duck skin cracks open to cover your tongue in rendered fat, and the pork lard is like butter with a crackling top. You can only have a little, but fat is delicious when it's cooked well.
>>
>>8174046
Eating salt on its own is disgusting too what's your point?
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.