[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How did /ck/ go about learning to cook? My family is pretty

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3

File: 1475333596147.jpg (21KB, 405x266px) Image search: [Google]
1475333596147.jpg
21KB, 405x266px
How did /ck/ go about learning to cook?

My family is pretty hard to get any recipes or suggested beginner dishes from. So far I just lurk here for ideas, or go through various fitness or cooking websites looking for anything that seems easy and interesting.
>>
>>8173808
Oddly enough, /ck/ taught me how to cook.

Wouldn't recommend that now, this place is a shithole.
>>
I started cooking just watching my mom and grandmothers. After i began watching cooking channels on YouTube, which are my main source of recopies and ideas, and have been since
>>
>>8173808
I looked up recipes for things I wanted to try cooking, and then cooked them.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL435B8F0CB00AF764
>>
>>8173814
has it really changed that much?
>>
Self taught with /ck/'s help.

I'm not good at following direction and believe that I learn more when I figure things out for myself through trial and error so I have trouble following recipes. But when I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong, like using extra virgin olive oil to sear a steak in high heat, then /ck/ has always been helpful in telling me how retarded I am in a polite and friendly way.
Thanx.

When I win masterchef I'll be sure to mention you guys.
>>
My parents weren't very domestic so I had to be.

I learned how to cook rice from my mum but everything else was just internet + trial & error.

I enjoy cooking too which was lucky when I screwed up a recipe that required patience/complicated techniques, I just tried again and again until I got it.

I found learning a lot of basic stuff that you can apply to a wide range of dishes is best because then you can make just about anything by just eyeballing ingredients without having to trawl through recipes all the time.
>>
Cannabis gave me the desire to cook and try new ingredients, ended up being able to cook a nice range of decent food.

10/10 would be a degenerate again
>>
>>8174641
4/20 approve of this
>>
I first started out cooking and learned a lot of what I know from the show Good Eats. Also having the ability to read and follow instructions helps for going by recipe
>>
>>8174421
More like when you win worst chefs in america
>>
>>8173808
I'll give you a flowchart
1. Are you hungry?
2. If not, wait until you are hungry.
3. Decide what you want to eat.
4. Google recipe from a seemingly established site or channel.
5. Make said recipe.
6. Objectively rate your own dish and figure out what you did wrong.
>>
>>8174641
As much as I want to shitpost you for being a LOL WEED MANE!!1 poster, youre right. Weed and food go pretty well together
>>
I just learned on my own. /ck/ inspired me to try new things. I picked up some recipes from other sites that didn't seem to be full of shit.
>>
The best time to learn anything from /ck/ is when we have the cooking challenge. So many different ideas and recipes floating around. It can be a wonderful thing.
>>
youtube keith floyd and rick stein
watch until you realise most tasty dishes start with onion and garlic
profit
>>
>>8173808
Following recipes from bbc food, watching food things on tv for ideas, reading to find out the actual reasoning behind different processes.
>>
Got a job as a line cook at a shitty dinner, then a steakhouse.
>>
>>8174163
it seems to have changed quite a bit in the 3 yrs I've been here

/ck/ first got me to try an involved recipe when I stumbled across a cook along thread (which we rearely see anymore) for hungarian goulash. OP was a cool germanbro would put his recipe in an info graph. I looked at it and said I can do that. So I did and it was pretty good.

From there it was asking myself why did the recipe say to do this or that, going off on my own to learn why and slowly improve upon my methods. I've mainly stuck to stews like jambalaya or cassoulet. But I've also done roast lamb leg, falafel, lentil soup. Plan to try scotch egg soon with pickled eggs.

As for OPs initial question,for it's either come down to "this seems easy, I could make this" and I learn how

or "this is really good, I wonder if I can make it" then research it and try it. and doing it more than once is always important too.
>>
>>8175902
are there better cooking themed stuff on the internet that you'd recommend instead of /ck/?
>>
File: i have made a great mistake.jpg (396KB, 1280x1707px) Image search: [Google]
i have made a great mistake.jpg
396KB, 1280x1707px
I got an old copy of Joy Of Cooking.
It's a fantastic reference and has taught me a lot. Good to have a physical book instead of something on a screen.
>>
>>8173808
Start with eggs, specifically fried. Unless you don't like eggs or something.

then just do this
>>8173859
within reason of course. Know your limits. Start with simple dishes that just involve simple prep and a single sautee/bake, etc. Once you're comfortable with these, try making meal of several at once. Then you should feel ready to tackle more advanced dishes that require greater finesse/ juggling multiple processes, etc.
Also never stop trying new things. Experiment with a new ingredient/ try a different technique, even if it's minor, as often as possible.

>>8175569
This is essential too. Following recipes is fine, but be sure to always ask why they call for what they do. Understanding not just the steps to follow but the processes taking place is the
>>
>>8177017
...path to developing real intuitive skill and the stuff of a "good cook".
>>
>>8175067
If you want to pay for my plane ticket to America then I'll be sure to mention you in my award acceptance speech.
>>
my school had a cooking class that was free and taught a lot of skills like baking and how to make sauces. I've also worked in 2 kitchens now and make food at home
>>
>>8173859
>>8177017
When I started out, I would look up multiple recipes for the same dish to see what seemed to be consensus for essential parts of the dish and what were embellishments, and then after that I'd add my own twists to that intersection to experiment.
>>
>>8176598
literally go on reddit
>>
>>8173808
On my own, with cookbooks, and recorded cooking shows, over and over until I got it right.

My mom's a great cook, but she refused to teach me or even allow me in the kitchen. I think she has some kind of paranoia about cooking in open spaces.

Once youtube came along, everything got way easier, being able to pause and go back and whatever at will is fantastic.
>>
File: its easy bro.jpg (261KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
its easy bro.jpg
261KB, 1280x720px
My family pretty much kept around the same spices/pastes/etc for my whole life so I got familiar with them, especially since I've tasted them all in foods. From them, I learned that if you throw shit together you get food.

I also looked up simple recipes, like you OP, but cooking was still pretty "I don't know what I'm doing" territory for me then.

Started working in a kitchen as prep/running, and learned how to flavor shit and be efficient by watching sautee guy. Learned from the prep team, which made making elaborate meals much easier. Asked the sous a ton of questions all the time about what this or that ingredient was. Asked about knife shit. Shadowed the pastry department for a bit, too. In the cafeteria, I'd ask what was in a dish I liked. Basically, it was like I interned for a restaurant.

I really recommend working on stuff like cutting techniques and making better versions of stuff you like (instead of looking up recipes for things you'd only make once).

Still can't really get ovens since the one I have at home is broken, though. I get nervous every time I bake.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.