[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

how do you guys make a great tomato soup? i tend to do a pretty

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

how do you guys make a great tomato soup?
i tend to do a pretty basic canned chopped tomato situation with onion and grated carrot, does anyone have any pointers on how to really spruce this thing up?
>>
>>8172210
I had a boss that always insisted on ruining my finely crafted tomato soup by adding cream cheese
>>
First off, good quality homemade stock is a must-have. Fuck cubes, packets, paste, etc. Start with good stock if you want killer soup.

Sweat mirepoix and some garlic in the bottom of your soup pot. Add tomato: ideally that would be fresh, but if you can't get good fresh ones then use canned san marzano tomatoes. Add stock, simmer until the tomatoes are cooked. Puree it. A stick blender is easy since you can do it in the cooking pot, but a good commercial blender like a vitamix or blendtec will give you a much smoother texture. Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.

To serve tear up a few fresh basil leaves and put on top.
>>
>>8172227
that sounds rancid i'm so sorry
>>
>>8172245

Oh fuck off. A finely tuned tomato soup doesn't need that, but "rancid" ? You must be a very fancy and sophisticated man.
>>
>>8172258
nah not really but cream cheese in soup sounds gross i didnt mean to cause offense
>>
Get a good can of tomatoes, cook down onions, leeks, garlic, add red wine, add tomatoes, add a sachet of bay leaf, dill seed, coriander seed, and black pepper, if you want a thicker soup add a small amount of potato and puree or reduce the tomatoes down a lot(this tastes better), then finish with some butter.
>>
Tomato soup cheater here.
I make an onion compound roux of butter and plain flour, reconstitute tomato concentrate with chicken stock instead of water and pour the mixture over the roux to both dissolve the flour paste as well as thicken the tomatoed chicken stock. At the very least, the stock is homemade.
Salt to taste and stir in lots of freshly chopped parsley.
That's it. Takes all of 5 minutes.
Am I going to culinary hell for my food crimes?

I also do another version wherein I combine tomato juice and water in equal measure and use the mixture to make chicken stock rather than plain water, using that to make tomato soup instead.
>>
>>8172282
just 4u

http://www.food.com/recipe/tomato-bisque-201479
>>
>>8172210
I do this>>8172229 but add a bay leaf, and a bit of ground allspice, clove and coriander seed. Gives a nice backgound punch.
>>
>>8172210
Start with fresh tomatoes, organic is best. Plum tomatoes will work fine. Consider roasting them with olive oil before you puree them. There, your flavor just went through the roof.
>>
File: KIMG0193.jpg (42KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
KIMG0193.jpg
42KB, 640x360px
>Blanche tomatoes and remove skin
>heat chicken stock in pot
>mash tomatoes in pot
>season (salt, black pepper, basil, garlic, bay leaf)
>add can of Hunt's traditional pasta sauce
>add heavy whipping cream
>serve with grilled cheese
>>
Water+filtered ketchup+cream+ salt and pepper is all you need
>>
File: ChrisBenoit.jpg (7KB, 200x250px) Image search: [Google]
ChrisBenoit.jpg
7KB, 200x250px
>>8174113
>>
From The Moosewood Cookbook. Great recipe

Spicy Tomato Soup:
>1T olive oil
>1T butter
>1.5C onion, minced
>4 cloves garlic, crushed
>1/2tsp salt
>1tsp dill
>Plenty of pepper
>3 cans crushed tomatoes (or 1 big can)
>2C water
>1T honey

>Sour cream, green onions, croutons or fresh diced tomato for topping
>>
>>8174213
>>8174113
>>8172373
>>8172229

>not adding roasted red peppers to your tomato soup
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.