[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you try to broaden a conservative eater's palate

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

File: DSCN1525.jpg (260KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN1525.jpg
260KB, 1600x1200px
How do you try to broaden a conservative eater's palate and get them to be less scared about trying new things?

My roommates are midwesterners who's favorite restaurants are Olive Garden and Buffalo Wild Wings when we're surrounded by good Korean and Mediterranean food, and who have probably five vegetables they eat on the regular.
>>
>>8171328
SOMEONE DOESN'T LIKE WHAT I LIKE, I MUST BLOG ABOUT THIS ON THE INTERNET TO FIX THEM
Do people who make these threads ever realize how autistic they sound?
>>
>>8171328
What kind of goza is that coastfag?
>>
>>8171341
They're obese and have difficulty eating new things which limits their diets considerably. And it's fun to try new things. Why wouldn't you want to help someone like that?
>>
You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink
>>
You can take a murrican out of the drive thru, but you cant take the drive thru out of the murrican.

Or something like that.
>>
>>8171341
He was asking a genuine question in a polite manner. The only all caps autism I'm seeing here is from this post
>>
>>8171649
>genuine question
yeah sure, that's why it happens to include as many maymays about flyovers as possible.

it's just a bad shitpost
>>
File: IMG_20160716_150218516.jpg (3MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160716_150218516.jpg
3MB, 4160x2340px
>>8171743
Not a may may. This is their part of the fridge.
>>
>>8171328
If those places have take out, bring some home and offer them to give it a try. Some peoples palates will never grow though, it seems to be a neurotic personality thing and that's something you are certainly not going to change.
>>
>>8171502

You could always eat the horse though
>>
>>8171328
Give them baklava. B dubs is awesome. You have to ease them into different food, they're not going to try Korean food because it sucks.
>>
>>8171328
>by good Korean and Mediterranean food
Korean BBQ is fucking GOAT and even if you're a picky eater (which I've been and am trying to better myself) there's no way you won't find something you like.
>>
>>8171328

Communal dinners, whoever cooks determines what to eat. Everyone has to behave like grown up and eat their din din.
>>
>>8171328
>How do you try to broaden a conservative eater's palate and get them to be less scared about trying new things?

I cook them new foods and make sure to do a really good job at it. In my experience most people who claim they hate a specific food have only tried it once and it was either bad ingredients or bad preparation. Make it correctly with good ingredients and they will often love it.

You also have to be a bit mindful of the presentation and you might have to work up to certain dishes. I wouldn't serve fish-head curry to someone like this...at least not at first.

You can also ease into it. I think Korean is very accessible due to the BBQ angle. Invite people over for BBQ. Do the basic shit like hot dogs and burgers, but then do some Korean-spiced short ribs too. Everybody loves those. Then that's a foot in the door for more Asian food, etc.
>>
A bullet usually does best
>>
Establish a reputation in their eyes as a good cook by doing an outstanding job on foods that they are used to eating. I.e. they know you make the best mac and cheese. The best thanksgiving turkey. The best BBQ. And so on. Once you have a reputation for outstanding food you can serve them other things and they'll surely try it.
>>
>>8171328
Fuck off pretentious faggot.
>>
>>8171743
You need to take a break, kid.
>>
>>8172145
>everyone who doesn't eat exotic ethnic cuisine such as mud cookies and insects is a fast food eating obese child

How cultured and mature of you.
>>
>>8172148
Nice hyperbole there.

I don't think anyone has a problem with the fact that different people have different preferences. But what's so silly is when someone refuses to even TRY something new. There is a difference between willful ignorance and personal preference.
>>
>>8171328
I hear you. People with peanut allergies truly are the worst. My brother's fiancee claims she is allergic to nuts. They're coming over to my place next weekend and I plan to bake some treats with nuts in them but I won't tell her there's nuts in there until she tastes them in order to broaden her palate and show her that nuts can be tasty too.
>>
File: 84782396.gif (1MB, 500x720px) Image search: [Google]
84782396.gif
1MB, 500x720px
>getting a conservative to try new things
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.