[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does anyone else here ferment their own hotsauce? Once I started

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 150
Thread images: 26

File: IMG_20161007_220857.jpg (872KB, 1920x1920px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161007_220857.jpg
872KB, 1920x1920px
Does anyone else here ferment their own hotsauce? Once I started I never wanted to go back
>>
>>8164764
Store made hotsauces are all just too bland in flavor, literally just heat or shitty meme-garlic flavor.

I've done rosemary hotsauce, apple jalepenoe, just straight cherry tomato and hot pepper, and i'm starting some garlic/black pepper hotsauce, and pineapple hotsauce. I'm already overstolked now but in a 4 weeks when it finishes fermenting i'll be swimming in it.

Why haven't you cu/ck/s started fermenting hotsauce?
>>
>>8164764
I got 2 bushels of green chiles and I was thinking about turning some of them into hot sauce. What would you suggest putting in with it? They are anaheim and big jim if it matters.
>>
>>8164770
So how do I go about making/fermenting my own hot sauce?
>>
>>8164764
I make my own hot sauce and ferment 1 year in a mason jar with a loose lid. Nothing fancy, just a bunch of ground up tabasco peppers, garlic, salt and sugar. Strain off liquid after 1 year.

The jars in your pic must be finished otherwise they might blow up with those lids on tight.
>>
>>8164764
OP that looks like shit in a bottle
>>
File: 20161002_190851.jpg (1MB, 2560x1536px) Image search: [Google]
20161002_190851.jpg
1MB, 2560x1536px
I just made this from femented mash. Same idea...habanero and ghost in a loosly lidded jar...good bit of salt.
From there its garlic onion lime juice vinegar thyme smoked salt and a little xanthan gum.
>>
>>8165742
It is really easy. Just get some peppers, slice them up, and add anything else you want. I use cherry tomatoes a lot (like a 50/50 split between the two), or add fruit. Then make a 5% salt brine and keep them submerged in a jar for about 4-5 weeks.

After it's mostly done fermenting just puree them and bottle it up, that's where my pic is at right now

>>8165844
yeah they're mostly done, the green one is still fermenting a little so the lids are cracked

>>8165350
Honestly just try anything, I have yet to have a bad tasting batch. Fermented hotsauce as opposed to vinegary or wicked salty hotsauces just taste so much better
>>
>>8166420
cool ! so do you have to let the lids open or closed during the weeks of fermentation ? Does it has to be in contact with air ?
I am definately doing this anyway, im going to sicily for a few days so ill just bring nice chillies from there :)
>>
File: 20161008_132710 (1).jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20161008_132710 (1).jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
>>8166435
I forgot to explain that part;

You want to keep everything submerged so only water is on top, you can do this through a variety of ways you can google, and then have the lid on loosely or make an air lock.

The fermentation process creates CO2 so if it is sealed it would explode. I just have mason jar lids on their loosely.

My janky as fuck method that you can sort of see in this pic is put a slice of apple on the top, then keep it jammed down by putting a cork between the apple and the lid.
>>
>>8166448
haha ok I see, that seems manageable :) I really want to start and ferment more things these days so I guess that would be a good place to start

Also I'm thinking moroccan peppers with orange blossom could be interesting !
>>
>>8166466
I got to gradschool and realize I forgot to bring most of my homebrewing equipment so I just started making hotsauces. Bought a 12 pack of large mason jars from walmart, bought some wine bottles (i figured out the cork thing later), and started swinging by the farmer's markers. It is so easy and fun.

And for the orange blossoms, make sure you do some research into how to best extract their flavors. I know from distilling flowers either need a lot of heat to really get the flavor out, or are really delicate.
>>
Isn't it exceedingly dangerous to do, or is that just making extract?
>>
>>8166472
I won't be making the blossom, a friend of mine brought some to me from Morocco. From what I know doing orange blossom does not require extremely high heat, therefore the process might be slower than for other flowers.

I am not brewing in any way but I was thinking of making cider maybe, it's pretty cool.
>>
>>8166488
Not that I know of? Why would it be?

I could see making extracts but even then..
>>
>>8165907
What's the xanthan gum for?
>>
>>8166904
Keeps the pulp and juice from separating.
>>
While we're here, do you cu/ck/s have a recipe or anything to make a *good tasting* hot sauce? Something like the ribman holy fuck?
All the videos/recipes just have you blend a fuckton of chillies with vinegar and that's it. Fuck that shit. Any way to make it without vinegar?
>>
>>8167157
>using vinegar

Just ferment them in a salt brine, no vinegar needed. Add your favorite spices and it should be golden
>>
>>8166886
Botulism my nigga
>>
>>8167302
>botuslism
>dangerous

What is this, the 1800s?
>>
>>8167302
Fermenting vegetables, if done with correct amount of salt and kept covered in liquid, have no chance for botulism to develop. The lactobacillus begins growing and producing an acidic environment before botulism bacteria can start.

Stop being a modern amerifag convinced by corporations that you're incapable of producing your own food.
>>
>>8167302
>implying i'm canning
>>
>>8167285
Do you have any recipes links for me brotherino?
>>
>>8166466
I'd consider lemon in that.
>>
>>8167302
>muh ignorance
lrn2empowerment
>>
>>8165907
Absolute madman
>>
>>8168671
5% salt brine, hot peppers,and anything else you want
>>
>>8164764
fuck yea anon!
made my first batch the previous summer.
have a bunch of homegrown ghost peppers, and red habs, as well as a handful of random ones.
Was going to make a few sauces today- need to figure out the recipes
>>
I've been considering making a fermented hot sauce for quite a while now and this thread has raised just a few questions

>>8167285
>add your favorite spices
should this be dome during fermentation or after? I have a recipe for a hot pepper spread that uses in caraway, coriander and cumin seeds in big quantities and would like to try doing this with fermented peppers too

>>8169322
>anything else you want
while there are obvious limits to this I'm curious if there are any none obvious ones.

I have a decent recipe for peri peri sauce and would like to try fermenting all the ingedients. so besides the hot peppers, garlic, onion and fresh basil would also go into the jar. There is also lemon but considering the nature of fermentation I'll assume that would be added after it's done.
>>
Tabasco is better than all this shit
>>
File: 20161009_092145.jpg (3MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
20161009_092145.jpg
3MB, 2560x1440px
>>8164764

I made a batch with 3.3lbs of tabasco peppers I picked off my backyard plant (peppers shown in bowl in front of plant). Ground them in blender with 2 cups water and 37 grams kosher salt.
>>
>>8169399
>should this be dome during fermentation or after?

You can do either. The taste is different, you might prefer one or the other.
>>
>>8169399
Try both. Fermented hotsauces are really up in the air, like, it's pretty unexplored ground. People are just NOW finding new shit to do with beer, and that has a much larger industry.
>>
File: 20161009_220754.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20161009_220754.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
Alright ya co/ck/s, I'm giving this a shot. Starting with just red jalapeños and garlic.

What's the min amount of time to ferment? 2-3 weeks?

I quartered 2 of the jalapeños lengthwise then wedged them in a layer on top to keep everything under the brine. Is there signs I should watch out for to let me know it's not fermenting properly?
>>
>>8165350
hatch green chilis, tomatillos, kiwi, and raw honey. Of course with garlic, onion, black pepper, and a touch of paprika.

good shit.
>>
WEAR GLOVES. I know this seems like common sense but I didn't while making hot sauces with about 20 habaneros, crushed them with my bare hands, and they burned like fucking mad for over a day. I couldn't sleep, nothing helped at all. Some of the worst pain I've ever been in.

I've made this sauce: http://www.rickbayless.com/recipe/habanero-hot-sauce/ and a Jamaican jerk sauce that involved crushing habaneros and other things into a rum bottle, and leaving it to ferment for a few months. Both were fucking delicious.
>>
>>8167157

The Ribman one is my all-time favorite.
>>
>>8170863
It looks great man. You should see a few bubbles start to form over the next few days, but it is fine if there really isn't much visible activity. Just make sure everything stays submerged, and watch out for any mold growing on the top. Probably like wrap a towel or put a towel + plate ontop of it to keep airborn stuff out.

And 3-4 weeks is the minimum i'll go, waiting is the hardest part. But once you have your first batch hopefully it will hold you over till your next!
>>
>>8173995
>massaging salt into about 4 pounds of sliced jalepenoes
>finish let it sit for a bit
>10 minutes later
>start feeling a burning in my hands
>doesn't stop for the next 2 days
>>
>>8174890
Thanks man, bubbles started to very next day, also the smell of a very rich dank fart has started to fill my kitchen, but I guess I should have expected that

Since the way I wedged the long slices of jalapeno in was keeping everything submerged I've left it open in a cabinet since sunday. No sign of mold have formed but do you think it's likely already introduced since I left it open for so long?

Am trying to figure out a way to drill a hole into a ball jar lid for my carboy air locks. it looks like the best way to go is with plastic lids and I'm not finding those in town so I'll have to order them. Will use the towel and dish till then.
>>
>>8175814
It is probably fine, I just use a loosely placed metal lid for my "air lock".

And yeah I have a box I keep most of my ferments in to avoid that fart smell, although I've noticed my hotsauces haven't had much of a fart smell, just a very spicy pepper smell. It could be coming from the garlic though -- I've never used too much garlic in my hotsauces (Gonna do that this weekend)
>>
>>8166435
I'm allergic to raw tomato, will this still work if I cook (or at least pasteurize) the tomatoes first?
>>
How do you know when something is done fermenting? Can you ferment something for too long? Any risks?
>>
>>8176077
That's totally fine! As long as you have some uncooked stuff in there (the peppers) you'll be getting enough bacteria cultures to start your ferment!

>>8176179
I honestly just go on vague guestimates. 5 weeks for sauerkraut, 3-4 weeks for hot peppers ( I really should do 5 weeks but i'm impatient as fuck), 1-2 weeks for pickles, etc., you can google most of this stuff.

I think the only risk for longer ferments is a slight possibility of mold growth/contamination but it is minuscule at best. And if your stuff is totally submerged you can just scrape any mold off the surface

And to tell when it's done I mostly see if it has stopped bubbling, or at least that's what I do for hotsauces. It can be hard to tell at times because it isn't a vigorous bubbling, but it is still there a little. I've actually ended up with still fermenting hotsauces after I've blended them up, just have to make sure to keep the lids a little loose
>>
>>8176179
I don't do hot sauces (just in the thread to look) but I do a lot of lactofermented vegetables. The general advice is" wait a week or two then taste some of the product. If not tangy enough, continue until you like the taste." It's really hard to over-ferment in my experience. You may experience textural problems but that's all. That or you won't like the flavor.
>>
>>8176291
What ferments do you do? I've become completely consumed by making hotsauces, I barely have a desire/the jars for anything else. Before this I was doing pickles and kraut, but now I'm just to kraut because pickles are expensive as fuck when you're giving away half your shit every time
>>
>>8176304
I do mostly krauts, carrots, and other tough veg. I mostly got into fermenting because my digestive system sucks since i got my gall bladder removed a year ago so I just try to eat dinner with every meal but breakfast.
>>
>>8176276
>still fermenting hot sauce

isn't that a frequent problem with sriracha, cause I use to notice alot of sludge leaking from the cap whenever I bought it. But usually only when I stored it in the fridge.
>>
>>8176503
>eat dinner with every meal but breakfast

I know there's a typo there but it's still like pottery
>>
>>8176519
I don't think so? Sriracha, although I know nothing about the production, I assume is just loaded with salt an vinegar and has no fermentation involved.
>>
File: 1371707192136.jpg (438KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
1371707192136.jpg
438KB, 1024x768px
I have a couple handfuls of cayenne peppers. and probably a couple more in the next few weeks.

Should I turn some of it into a little hot sauce or stick with the delicious red pepper flakes?
>>
>>8176543
how do you turn them into pepper flakes?
>>
>>8176560

I wash them, dry them on a paper towel for a month and crush them up.

From 3-4 plants in a planter, I get enough flakes for an entire year.
>>
>>8176571
does drying them require any specific process to do it in a month? I've dried out serranos before (by accident) but it took at least 3 or more months of them sitting in a bowl beside some onion and garlic that got used more frequently before they were dried out like the shit you can buy at the meximart
>>
>>8176599

I was seeing a month with AC evenly spaced on a paper towel in AZ dryness.

I have swamp cooling now, so it is a bit slower with the extra moisture in the air. The tiny ones still do alright. If I wanted them to dry faster, I guess putting them by flowing air would help.
>>
>>8176599
We dry cayennes for pepper flakes too.

We do it by putting them on screens and putting the screen in the second car we don't use much. They usually dry completely in a week if we're getting sunny days.
>>
>>8176291
>>8176276
Thanks! Where do I look if I want to get into this? I've been sick for weeks now, and I think some fermented stuff would be good to get my gutflora back into action. I'm tired of feeling this way.
>>
I'm familar with making sour kraut, but how is the general process for preparing hot sauce for fermentation? Do you need to heat up the brine or can it be cold? I'd imagine I could throw a tablespoon of salt in a quart mason jar, along with some quartered peppers and maybe garlic and fill it with water, keeping everything under the waterline. Would this work?
>>
>>8178785
I just made some a bit different from OP and used 37g kosher salt for 2 cups water for 3.3lbs of tabasco peppers. I ground the peppers with the brine. I boiled the brine but let cool to room temp.

It started fermenting the second day. I stir it once a day.
>>
I missed the harvest for green chilli this year, can this be done with dried peppers or does it only work with fresh stuff?
>>
File: vegetables.jpg (2MB, 3900x2700px) Image search: [Google]
vegetables.jpg
2MB, 3900x2700px
bump
>>
bump for best thread but also I am >>8170863

Shit is coming along well. House doesn't smell like a wet fart now that I've covered the jar with a folded towel and plate.
>>
>>8178785
Yeah it's basicaly the same concept as making kraut, but you add more salt (3-5% salt brine, where as krauts more like 2%)
>>8178869
I'm in a fermentation group and I have some doubts about this method, you'll have to tell me how it goes. The stirring makes it harder for mold to start I guess, but if any does start, even in the smallest nearly invisible amount, you're mixing it into the actual food.

But once it gets acidic enough (after a week or so) you should be fine

>>8182566
Yeah the smell can be the worst, but the result is so glorious

Also (OP here if you couldn't tell), i'm working on a website about making fermented hotsauce, any tips on what I should add to it?

I have a very basic rundown of how to do it, gonna make a pictorial-guide oh my process, and other stuff about ingredients/basic fermentation processes like the science behind lacto-fermentation.
>>
>>8183683
Thanks for the tips. Going to try it tonight. Having made kraut before, sounds like the brine is the only variable.

For the website: I would definitely cover all the ways to keep everything below the water line. In my own research, I found people using airlocks to shot glasses.
>>
>>8183909
Yeah that probably is the hardest part. I've been using an apple slice a cork jammed under the lid -- that works pretty well so far. I'll definitely make a huge list of ways so people don't have to buy specific/expensive equipment
>>
>>8183683
Thanks for the comment about doing the grind and stirring, I wasn't entirely sure about it myself. But after the first day, I started to get the "fart" smell and haven't noticed any mold or discoloration, so it seems like it's working. Hopefully the thread will stay up and I can let you know how it tastes in a month. If not, why don't you start the thread up again in a month or so since several of us are trying it?
>>
I make various chilli sauces. None of them are fermented.
>>
no die pls
>>
>>8184732
I'll probably just have hot sauce threads up constantly from now on -- doing cook alongs whenever i'm starting or finishing a new batch
>>8184760
try it fermented, you'll never go back
>>8186319
never
>>
>>8186319
Maybe hot sauce alone isn't enough to keep the thread alive.

So since we're on the subject of food fermentation, who /koji/ here?
>two different misos underway
>failed attempt at soy sauce
>shio-koji and amazake
Some fun stuff right here.
>>
>>8164764
ITT: some anon dies of botchulism within a year.
>>
>>8186584
ITT: some retarded fearful anon doesn't know how botchulism is cases due to his extreme case of bitchulism
>>
I'm assuming you need to sterilize your jars, lids, etc. before doing this?
>>
File: 20161015_121145.jpg (1MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20161015_121145.jpg
1MB, 3264x1836px
>>8186645
Yeah, I just use hot water and soap, but I know some that use vinegar

Also, starting a cookalong.

Using Hungarian wax peppere, green cayenne, heirloom green zebra tomatoes, and an apple
>>
File: 20161015_121531.jpg (1MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20161015_121531.jpg
1MB, 3264x1836px
>>8186903
Cut up the tomatoes and begin to regret choosing the smallest bowl
>>
File: 20161015_121649.jpg (1MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20161015_121649.jpg
1MB, 3264x1836px
>>8186912
Sprinkle with salt and add the apple. I use the apple because it adds a nice flavor from my past experiences, and it adds some yeast-based fermentation (apple skins are a great source of natural yeast) which makes my sauces a bit less sweet at the end of the fermentation
>>
File: 20161015_122459.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20161015_122459.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
>>8186919
Switch to slightly larger container, cut up all the peppers and decide you want more volume so you grab two more apples
>>
File: 20161015_122904.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20161015_122904.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
>>8186926
Add the apples, enough salt to lightly coat every thing, and mix it up. I usually use my hands but since all my medium bowls have bread dough In them I just put the lid on and shook
>>
File: 20161015_164014.jpg (1MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20161015_164014.jpg
1MB, 3264x1836px
>>8186935
Back from my trip into town (an hour away), I had to buy more salt and stop at a brewery for a few beers.

This step I just transfered the stuff that was soaking in salt (going through osmosis so the size reduced a little), and then added salt brine. A pint jar is about 2 cups so I added like 3.5 tablespoons of salt to it and topped off the larger jars. Had to fill it about twice
>>
File: 20161015_164056.jpg (1MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20161015_164056.jpg
1MB, 3264x1836px
>>8187487
Next part is my own innovation.

I just shove a slice of apple under the rim. Keeps everything submerged. Sometimes I add. Cork there too if in afraid it'll become dislodged (the cork is kept jammed between the apple slice and lid, it's more useful if you jar is jam packed or will go through vigorous fermentation)
>>
File: 20161015_164205.jpg (1MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20161015_164205.jpg
1MB, 3264x1836px
>>8187503
Just jam the apple slices in (I used two for each this time), try to get most of the floating stuff out, but a few pepper seeds won't hurt. And then you're done. Put your lid over it loosely and you are good to wait 3-5 weeks
>>
>>8187539
how does it look covered? What kind of lid do you use?

Also I've never had a homemade fermented hot sauce, let alone one with apples. What is the closest flavor you can compare it to?

Part of what got me into the fermented sauce thing is cause someone I know started a fermented sauce that was equal parts pepper and peaches with a little garlic. In my mind fermenting peaches and peppers doesnt make sense. Seeing someone else do a fermented hot sauce but with apples is making me think again.
>>
>ITT fermented salsa
>>
File: Pickle Press.jpg (74KB, 930x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Pickle Press.jpg
74KB, 930x1000px
>>8187539

Have you considered pic related?
>>
>>8187539
what do you do after this step. I read earlier "strain off the liquid" but it seems like a real jump from this jar to OP's bottles
>>
>>8165907
did you puree it before or after fermenting it? does it matter?
>>
File: 20161016_091409.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20161016_091409.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
>>8189703
As op and person who posted that you just let it sit for 3-5 weeks then puree till it's smooth. And I never strain out the liquid.

I know some people who do that but I find it has a lot of flavor in it and gets it to a better consistency

And this is how it looks now the lids are just loosely on there. Sometimes I have cheese cloth betweeb the lid and jar but not recently. Once I get home I'll post pics of my other set ups
>>
File: IMG_20160929_173737.jpg (861KB, 1836x2295px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160929_173737.jpg
861KB, 1836x2295px
>>8189711
You can do either but if puree before hand it's more susceptible to mold and you have to add more salt, so you have less choice in that matter.

And I usually puree and bottle after 3ish weeks because at that point the good bacteria has taken over and the bad stuff can't grow, but it won't stop noticeable fermentation for another few weeks (it never really stops fermenting)
>>
>>8189711

I'm not the guy you're replying to, but I've had much better luck pureeing AFTER fermenting.

In my case, many of the ferments that I tried via pureeing first had problems during the fermentation (mold, bad smells, spots of weird colors/textures, etc), whereas when I made the exact same recipes (ingredients, salt %, etc.) using roughly chopped ingredients I had zero problems.

Perhaps it works well for other people, but in my experience pureeing first is a newbie mistake.
>>
>>8177752
This is a really old comment but look up Sandor Katz/Kraut. He got into fermentation after he got AIDS and needed the health boost and is IMO the leader on teaching the process.
Most people really try to over-complicate the process and make it sound difficult when in reality it's super easy.
>>
>>8189955
Yeah its harder to keep submerged so there's more surface contact of the fermenting vegetables that makes it mold easier
>>8189987
Yeah I read his books to get myself started. I hope my posts aren't over complicating things because this stuff is easy as shit to do
>>
>>8189987
I'm still following, thanks! I'll be moving to a new place in a few weeks, I'll start experimenting then.
>>
File: 1476638500858-1309255361.jpg (1MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
1476638500858-1309255361.jpg
1MB, 3264x1836px
Fermention going for a week now. Starting get pretty filmy on the top and bottom. Is this normal?
>>
Why is no one using jalapeños?
>>
>>8190293
Can you post a few more pics at different angles?

>>8190304
The green one I have in the OP is jalapeño apple
>>
File: 1476638973349-1454863782.jpg (1MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
1476638973349-1454863782.jpg
1MB, 3264x1836px
>>8190305
Here I'm using a shot glass to keep everything submerged.
>>
>>8190304
Also these are red jalapeños in >>8190318
>>
>>8164764
I would love to but my garden went to shit after I got a new job that demands a lot more of my time. Im going to attempt a low maintenance garden this year so I can actually keep up with it.
>>
>>8190318
It could just be a kham yeast infection. It's not harmful, you can just scrape it off the surface.

Post more pics on how it develops and I can try to give a better diagnosis
>>
any tips on making a 5% brine without a scale?
>>
>>8164764
i was going to do it with some home grown peppers but then some bitch said NOOOO WE DONT HAVE ENOUGH PEPPERS, the sad part is we hade enough peppers, WE HADE ENOUGH PEPPERS GOD DAMNIT
>>
>>8190616
About two table spoons of salt per cup of water is what I do. Not exact but I haven't been getting any mold with that ratio
>>
>>8190400
I checked other images of kahm yeast and this doesn't look like that. What I'm seeing in my brine looks more like a suspended milky substance, but not really anything forming at the surface.
>>
>>8190704
Sometimes brine can look milky depending on the salt used. So just wait and see I guess
>>
>>8190728
cool, used a celtic sea salt. thanks for all the advice btw. This is probably the most help I've ever gotten in a single thread

Will post again after 2nd week of fermentation.
>>
File: here goes nothing.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
here goes nothing.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>8190666
thanks! I'm trying it!! jalapeños, poblano, tomatoes, and gala apple.
>>
>>8190922
Good luck with that man! I hope you keep posting your results.

I guess I should just have perpetual fermented hotsauce threads, keep this shit going
>>
Seconding the request in description of the flavor
>>
>>8190922
that's gonna be delicious
>>
File: IMG_20161011_202529.jpg (460KB, 1536x2048px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161011_202529.jpg
460KB, 1536x2048px
I got those red habaneros (really fucking hot) and I'm looking for a quick sauce recipe without fermentation. Any suggestions?
>>
File: 1470949921465.jpg (142KB, 575x707px) Image search: [Google]
1470949921465.jpg
142KB, 575x707px
looks good OP.
>>
>>8191217
>take a handfull of habaneros
>smash them with a blunt object
>apply on food
>???
>profit
>>
>>8191225
Thanks buddy
>>8191180
In which one in specific? Apple Jalapenoe? Or just fermented hot sauce in general?

I'm going to a small grad school party later tonight so I can try to get a good consensus/descriptors for it

>>8191217
Mix it with vinegar to taste? I'd guess to make it shelf stable you'd fill a jar so they're totally submerged then puree it up. Add some garlic and maybe a few tomatoes for sweetness?

Probably want a white vinegar if you want to highlight the taste of the peppers. But some apple cider vinegar could be interesting -- I know I use it on occasion if I don't have enough brine in my sauces to get the consistency I want and it adds some decent flavor
>>
>>8191240
>>8191217
Also you can just mix it into some other sauce like Mayonese or Ketchup
>>
>>8191243
just plain vinegar with no water?
also should I cook them first a little bit or do it raw?
>>
>>8191247
>thread about glorious fermentation
>suggest mixing it with shit condiments
Is this thread too big? Is the shit-part of /ck/ leaking in? Should I just create my own hotsauce forum [spoiler]I already actually thought about doing that, and still am[/spoiler]

>>8191254
I've honestly never done it before, so take what I say with a grain of salt. I think possible boil down in vinegar possible? So like fill an appropriate jar or bowl with peppers/salt/other spices/ingredients. Then add enough vinegar (plain or your choice, but at least half plain maybe) to submerge all of it. Then add to a pot, maybe add a bit of water, maybe 50/50 water vinegar and boil down a bit.

A recipe from a guy I trust is saying (for just vinegar pickled vegetables), 1 cup vinegar, 1 cup water, 1 table spoon salt, spices/herbs/etc.

Then just get to a boil then let cool and puree. Scale up or down the vinegar/water if you don't think it will be enough to get a good consistency.

I'm sorry if this post is kind of confusing, I started with writing out what my instinct would be, then did some research from there.
>>
>>8191269
thanks man, it was somewhat helpful
>>
>>8191269
>Should I just create my own hotsauce forum
Well just do it then, nigger.

There's literally nothing wrong with mayo or ketchup
>>
>>8191284
>threads about fermented hotsauce
>suggest using only one of those things
I don't go to fine dining recomendation threads and suggest burger king
>>
>>8191291
>being this haughty
He asked what he can do with habaneros if he doesn't want to ferment. I just made a suggestion, doesn't mean that he HAS to mix them with ketchup or mayo. There's like a million sauces out there but I'm sorry if your spoiled tongue can't take it.
>>
>>8191300
>implying I was in the wrong
>I actually was
I'd sooner suggest a paste though. Maybe even freeze some depending how much he makes.
>>
>>8191313
At least you admit you were in the wrong.
>>
File: 20161010.jpg (573KB, 1370x3292px) Image search: [Google]
20161010.jpg
573KB, 1370x3292px
>>8191217
>chop/cut/half Habaneros roughly
>throw in a pan
>chop an onion for every 15-20 Habaneros
>throw in the same pan
>chop 3 gloves of garlic for every 15-20 Habaneros
>throw in the pan, too
>add a bit of vegetable oil
>fry for 5mins
>add 3 cups of water for every 15-20 Habaneros
>cook for 20mins
>put in mix in a blender
>blend till smooth
>add some vinegar or water to desired consistency
>bottle
>put bottles in boiling water vor 20-30mins*

(*make sure the bottles can take it or you'll end up with hotsauce grenades)

Pic related. Sauce i made from green Cayennes/Tabascos. Takes 35mins, 45 if you are a retard in the kitchen.
>>
>>8191382
Forgot:
> add a tsp of salt and a pinch of sugar before cooking
>>
>>8191382
What's the shelf life of the finished product if refrigerated?
>>
File: 1476660678916533995676.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
1476660678916533995676.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
I haven't tried fermenting it but I started making my own with the peppers plants I grow this summer. Mango ghost pepper recipe is pretty much nailed down.
>>
>>8167157
Buy lactic acid from home-brewing supply store, use instead of vinegar for better taste. Also most important thing for taste is the type of chillies. Scotch bonnet/habanero types taste best.
>>
>>8191382
>having fat in it it
>claiming it will have a shelf life
I don't actually know the science behind this, I've just been told I shouldn't do it.

Does it last long on the shelf?
>>
>>8191393
Unopened: around at least 6 months, thats what the bottle-boiling is for. (The bottle "plops" like one from the supermarket when you open it the first time.)
Open, use it up fairly soon like anything else. Vinegar helps with the shelf life, of course.

I should also note: This is a very basic recipe, nothing fancy. It'll give you a very intense, pure hot pepper taste though.
>>
>>8191413
Try fermenting some time
>mine haven't even reached their perfect flavor till 6 months have sitting out
>I'd probably still eat them if they were a few years old
>>
>>8191402
Never preserved anything in vegetable oil?
>>
>>8191382
I'll try this, I was thinking about doing something similar anyway.

I might also try fermenting some habaneros in a small jar because why not.

I'll be posting the results when I get to do it. (in 3-4 days from now)
>>
I have a weak stomach because of years of medication.
What is good to ferment that doesn't have pepper in it?
>>
>>8191475
Pickles and Sauerkraut.

I recommend doing both, I didn't enjoy either till I made them myself. They aren't spicy, just a bit sour, and they will most likely help with any problems you have (because most people have shit gut bacteria)
And both things are easy to mix, they're pretty much just salt + cabbage or salt + pickles (and usually dill).

But seriously don't take my word for it, I'm probably pretty bias.
>>
Hey sauce people, I have a question because I want to try this.
Are there any fruits/vegetables that I should not use? Specifically I want to make a Blueberry/Habenero sauce.
>>
i'm growing my first chile plant, its an african bird's eye plant, what should i do with it? i imagine theyre too small to make a sauce directly with them, should i mix with jalapenos or bell peppers or something?
>>
>>8193363
I have yet to try blue berries -- tell me how it goes!

I have yet to run into anything that's terrible. I hear onions in too much quantity can get really pungent though
>>
>>8193407

>african bird's eye
make peri peri sauce.

I have never been able to find any bird's eye chili around my town so I've had to use thai hots. It's usually made with oil to emulsify it and used as a marinade for poultry. Nando's is a brand of it you can find in most decent grocers and is considered the standard for this kind of hot sauce.

I have, however, found that there are many differing recipes for this. If you want to give it a try I'll see if I can find the recipe I've used most often.
>>
>>8193731
yeah, thats what i was thinking, i had some great peri peri when i was in portugal,
but i would def say its better than nandos tho.. ive always felt nandos to be a bit underwhelming, is it rly the standard?? where are you from?
but regardless if you've got a good recipe would be great to have a look, thanks matey
>>
>>8193731
>never been able to find any bird's eye chili around my town
Neither have I. So I mail-ordered some.

>>8193875
>> is it rly the standard??

Of course not. It's a fast-food chain that has their own brand of sauce. It would be like asking if McDonald's packets are the "standard" for ketchup. But, for many people that's all they know.
>>
>>8190293
>>8190318
Mine is on the 2nd day and I'm started the develop this as well. It's a milky fuzzy moldy looking substance that is floating through out the jar.

Is it suppose to be completely clear?
>>
>>8194020
also, I used kosher sea salt with 2 cups of poland spring
>>
>>8193875
>is this the standard
I may have been speaking out of my depth as it's also the only peri peri sauce I've ever found at a grocer but when I went searching to recipes online most f them mentioned nandos as what they were going for.
>>
>>8193875
>>8194083
also I'm from SC, usa. Nandos is the only commercially made peri peri I've ever had so it's all I have to go on.

It looks like the recipe I was using has been 404'd. It was a recipe that definitely needs tweaking the more I've think about it. basically is was peppers, garlic and onion fries in oil and vinegar then cooled and blended till smooth
>>
these will be "too spicy", right?
>>
>>8195700
Depends on your personal preferences.
Habaneros are tasty, but yeah, rather hot.
You could mix them with something milder, like Habanero El Remos or Trinidad Perfumes. Or try different sweet peppers.
>>
>>8164764
I'm the guy that did 3.3 lbs of tabasco peppers, grinding them first with the brine and stirring everyday. It started out with the strong "fart" smell, but after about a week it doesn't really have much smell at all anymore. Does that seem right to you? Haven't noticed any mold or discoloration.
>>
>>8176522
I re-read that 5 or 6 times before I gave up.
>>
>>8195700
Most likely yes. I'd start with a weaker pepper. Ja lap pee noes maybe
Thread posts: 150
Thread images: 26

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.