[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why when I try to make onions hey get all soggy? Why when I

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

Why when I try to make onions hey get all soggy?

Why when I try to make hash browns from potatoes they get all gross and soggy?

How the FUCK do I make the kind of food the restaurants make?
>>
beef fat on high temperature
>>
>>8157108
>high temperature
how high?

higher than a common electric stove?
>>
>>8157110
I've never used an electric stove sorry man, hopefully someone else can help. You may just have to leave it cooking for longer until it dries out a bit and crusts. I just crank the gas up and use animal fat for potato hash.
>>
>>8157112
>I've never used an electric stove sorry man,
How is that even possible?
They're extremely popular and the most dominant form of stove.

>You may just have to leave it cooking for longer until it dries out a bit and crusts.
I try that but it doesn't help or it just burns it.

>I just crank the gas up
Are gas stoves how people are really supposed to cook? Or are they just a meme?
>>
>>8157107
For potatoes- lotsa oil and max temp

Foŕ onion - some oil, start on medium, and once it gets glassy turn max heat and stir so iw wont burn
>>
>>8157119
My country uses almost exclusively gas stoves and ovens and until the last decade or two, gas heating. Restaurants usually have gas appliances too.
>>
>>8157119
>is gas the best
yes

you can try par-boiling the taters, then freezing, them going right from frozen to the pan
>>
File: 1423964666940.jpg (42KB, 461x483px) Image search: [Google]
1423964666940.jpg
42KB, 461x483px
>>8157107
When you say "make onions" what exactly are you trying to do? What pan are you using? Are you frying them with a little bit of oil or with a bunch of different stuff? How are you cutting the onions? Details, anon, details!

If you want help you need to provide us more information, otherwise you will continue to flounder around in the kitchen like a little babby.

Also, potatoes, like eggs, can be some of the most nuanced and finicky foods to correctly prepare, even for relatively innocuous-sounding recipes like hashbrowns.
>>
>>8157107
par boil the potatoes and add a little vinegar to the water, it will prevent them from breaking down. Drain and rinse off well before adding to onions.
As for the onions, use a cast iron pan that will hold in the heat to compensate for the lack for BTUs from an electric cooktop.
Then put a neutral oil with a high smoke point in the pan, with the potatoes and onions,
and add your salt, pepper, and whatever else you like in your potatoes.
Cook em on high heat for a few minutes and they should crisp up nicely.

Important: let them sit there to build up some crust before moving them, don;t try to constantly move them around.

Having previously owned electric, I can say from experience, not crowding the pan is super important, or nothing will brown.
>>
>>8157107
Use a larger skillet, or cook less/ in batches.

Your shit gets soggy because there isn't enough surface area for your shit to cook in, so instead it steams.
>>
>>8157107
dry the potatoes really well. especially if you shred them. if you cube them they shouldnt suffer much from moisture problems.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.