[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Its about that time again and I may not be in the Fuck You Florida

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 8

Its about that time again and I may not be in the Fuck You Florida Coast, but I will for sure be losing power in a few days. What are some good tips and cooking methods without electricity? I dont want to be eating dried ramen and peanut butter and limoncello exclusively.
Should I be marathoning Jas. videos right now?
>>
954 here. Bump
>>
>>8155846
Hobo stove
Dried n canned food
Precooked semiperishables like bread n crackers
Grillin
>>
>>8155846
Also you can melt vaseline and candle wax together, fill a tuna can with a tight spiral of cardboard, pour the melted mess over it, and light it on fire later for DIY sterno
>>
File: Mad_Men_Chip_and_Dip.jpg (74KB, 500x640px) Image search: [Google]
Mad_Men_Chip_and_Dip.jpg
74KB, 500x640px
>>8155846
but hurricane season is over
>>
hi florida friends

get sardines op
>>
>>8156072
Nature is always looking for one last hurrah before the curtain closes on hurricane season. A lot of the worst ones happen in Aug-Sep-Oct and you can probably count that up to lack of preparedness and gov funding, but maybe its the mix of cold and warm fronts as well
>>
>>8156047
Lemme know if you died so I know whether or not to fill my bathtub with water
>>
>>8155846
941 here, former 305 with 305 cell still! Waiting up for the NHC 11PM advisory, in case it jogs a little more inward here....

Hit up the Publix this afternoon to top off my "hurricane season pantry," topped off my gas tank (they can't pump when the power fails and the lines start), and got some ATM cash for the stores that can't run credit cards when the power fails. I'm caught up on my laundry in case of power/flooding that can back up drains. I might need those towels clean! I'm stuffed my freezer with water in tupperware, to make ice blocks to keep things cool if power is off a reasonable amount of time. Tub is scrubbed, but I might not fill it til it looks like we might have a water issue where I am. I have 3 freshly filled containers of water (2gallon). Have some gas for the grill, so I can boil a soup or something if needed.

What I buy (usually):
loaf of bread(s), and items that make sandwiches that don't require a fridge/ice chest, so got some PBJ and dry salami. Tomatoes, garlic and olive oil makes me happy, and I snip basil from my windowsill houseplant (dried would work in a pinch). Bread salad is nearly the same recipe.
Granola bars, assorted breakfast, nut, whole grain, luna/powerbars (these aren't a waste, I'll work my way through them over the coming months)
Canned beans, lemons, olive oil, and chopped onion and bell pepper makes a damn good marinated salad for serving on crackers. Texas caviar on tortilla if you go with lime. Garbanzos, black bean, cannellini, black eyed pea, all good.
Pound cake/cranberry/banana bread/pumpkin bread has a long shelf life
Bananas, bag of tangerines, bag of pears, bag of grapes. Loving these new fruit cups from Dole, with coconut water and passionfruit pineapple.
Spring water in 16oz bottles.
Bunch of celery, shake on some lawrys
Have pallet of Frappucino, Gatorade, Aloe Drink from Costco, and a gazillion 2liters and canned sodas for when my nephews visit. My big concern is caffeine headache.
>>
239 here, looking forward to getting all the planes meant to land in Miami and getting fucked all night.

Get something good to drink and enjoy the rain.
>>
File: 1453935766790.jpg (8KB, 190x188px) Image search: [Google]
1453935766790.jpg
8KB, 190x188px
>>8156096
Are we neighbors anon?
>>
>>8156103
Just off SR 82 in Lehigh.
>>
>>8156107
You're awful close. I don't know if this is good or bad.
>>
>>8155846
Slim Jims
Nuts, unsalted
Chocolate
Salsa
Chips
Cabo Wabo Reposado Tequila
Limes
Canned italian Grapefruit soda
>>
>>8156112
Sounds like we should all do a /ck west coast pub crawl soon. Let's see if we live through "Mathew" unscathed, lol. Or we can seek shelter in each other's favorite bars I heard my whole county is below sea level with no approved Red Cross shelters. ROFL
>>
>>8156118
Oh, I know, we can do the Cape Coral Oktoberfest meetup idea when and if it gets going this year, not sure the calendar.
>>
>>8155846
Pickle some onions, great topping for anything you eat. We just take pickle jars, keep the juice, and put chopped onions in those. Makes it easy without having to worry about balance of flavors or safety.
>>
>>8156121
October 21 – 23 and October 28 – 30
>>
Hope this one misses south jersey so i can watch other peoples lives being destroyed from the comfort of my own couch
>>
904 here. Just bought a bunch of beer, summer sausage, and discount bread from walmart. Should be good enough.
>>
>>8156112
I have a bunker! If you get in the bunker, then you'll be safe. For the good of the race we can create an entire race...
>>
For years you niggers made fun of me for living in hurricane alley.

Now who's laughing now americucks?

Tornadoes, blizzards, earthquakes, floods, volcanoes, hurricanes, black lives matter protests, gay parades, civic meets, avocado in everything, massive forest fires and all that is only a scratch on the surface of your shithole.
>>
>>8156127
Thanks dude :) That's nice of you. Waiting to see if work will be cancelled, LOL. I'm right on the ocean here in Charlotte Co, but I'm not too worried at my elevation or the house, just the nasty flooding to get while driving around to/from work (it was extremely bad yesterday). There was 4in yesterday from 4-6PM.

The 11PM is in...and I notice they still don't know the cone with any confidence (though they pretend to predict), because it's not off the coast of Cuba yet. It is however a touch more southward in the cone to include Miami now. I think that's a bigger aim at us north of Collier, really. Guess I will wait for the morning forecast to see how we'll fare
>>
>>8156141
Don't forget the daily bank robbery on the news in Lee County. I can't believe the FBI is slacking that much. It's been going on all year!

I forgot my white cheddar popcorn, and whole watermelon. Clear staples of hurricane survival. I'm going to grill the freezer steaks on day 1 of course.
>>
>>8156131
Such a good show.

Earlier of the two Oktoberfest weekend, I think. Toss out a thread beforehand, and we can pick a meeting point. Got plans to do a concert in Tampa the second weekend :P

Mmm,german food! I love a fresh pretzel, a weisswurst and a dark beer! I heard the festival is the largest in the USA, true? And, much larger than West Palm's oktoberfest which I used to go to annually, as well as Miami's two big ones. I only moved here last year and I missed cape coral last year.
>>
>>8156161

Freezer items can last a couple days if left closed.
>>
>>8155846
941 going to bed. Cheers all.. Stay safe
>>
>>8156095
>using your limited fuel supply to boil a big pot of soup
Inefficient use of energy tbqh. Grilling/sauteing would allow you to cook food using less gas.
>>
Try solar ovens. Might be too late at this point since you do need some practice to get good at cooking with them, but the good ones can get up to 400°f on a cloudy day and aren't super expensive either
>>
Fuck all you doomsday preparers filling up barrels of gas in your pickup making it so people don't have any to get home. Calm down this isnt a pandemic
>>
>>8157810
>I never experienced a hurricane
Go back to the midwest.
>>
File: tS5XSHJ.png (399KB, 431x413px) Image search: [Google]
tS5XSHJ.png
399KB, 431x413px
407 here

Just bought $200 of groceries in bulk from Sam's. Stressing about making ice so my meat doesn't rot.
>>
With any luck it'll be Hurricane Andrew all over again. Homestead needs to die.
>>
>>8157810
Endemic retard not pandemic
>>
321 Melbourne.

I'm fucked.
>>
why are we naming hurricanes after guys now

has feminism finally gone too far?
>>
>>8159826
I-It alternates...
>>
Use a grill and eat what will go bad first. Start with fresh meat then the frozen stuff. If the stores are fine you can cook anything on a grill.
>>
A bit off topic, but I still can't believe that people haven't invested in backup generators yet. Paid $8k for a 10k generator to be installed. Runs the kitchen refrigerator and bulk freezer in the garage, all of the lights and outlets in the family room, all the lights and outlets in the bathrooms, lights in the kitchen and microwave, and at least one outlet in each bedroom. Off of a full tank of propane you get minimum 14 days of power.
>>
>>8159826
>why are we naming hurricanes after guys now
>has feminism finally gone too far?
>feminism
Think about what you just typed, fucking retard.
>>
>>8156103
>>8156096
San Carlos here, right by Gulf Coast Town Center.

Bought 3 bags of ice last night and put them in the fridge. Got some bottled water and filled up 2 propane tanks for my grill. Wonder Bread, PB&J, and some summer sausage on standby. Also turned my AC way down to 65 because with our luck the power will go out for a day.

Also got batteries
>>
>>8160735
>8k

Because that's worth having power for 3-5 days once a decade
>>
>>8160735
Great! Then I'll be able to ignore evacuation orders and have electricity while I drown or am impaled by flying debris! Hell yeah, where can I buy one?
>>
>>8156095
941? Used to live in Lakewood Ranch. 407 now though.
>>
So did Obama put you all in FEMA death camps yet?
>>
407 here

got my canned fish, cooked some meat and rice, froze up some greek yogurt smoothies to eat as ice pops or as yogurt if freezer goes out

I don't expect to have a blackout longer than a day, but I have produce to hold me for a few days
>>
757 here.

I'm going to die and die alone on this shithole of a Navy cruiser. Send help.
>>
>>8160735
When shit hits the fan you don't want to be the only house with the lights on at night, retard.
>>
>>8161224
>What it do, 941 my nickles
>>
>>8157852
twisters are spookier desu. no warning at all just blood and thunder.
>>
>>8161580
Plenty of warning when you can see 300 miles in any direction from your hut in the plains.
>>
>>8161564
Could be fun if you're armed and have sane self-defense laws.
>>
File: IMG_20161006_210930_350.jpg (1MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161006_210930_350.jpg
1MB, 3264x1836px
904 here. Pretty standard stuff. Thirty gallons of spring water. A hundred gallons in a big recycling container strapped to the house. Just finished baking off half a dozen loaves of crusty bread. Plenty of pre-cooked stuff in the fridge and forty pounds of ice in the freezer not counting the big blocks of ice for the coolers should the power fail for an extended period. Oh...and lots of Sangria. It's gonna get gnarly here in about ten hours. Godspeed all you /ck/ Florides out there.
>>
>>8158522
>Homestead needs to die.
ROFL

>>8159826
>why are we naming hurricanes after guys now
Welcome to 1979? Did you just notice? Hahah
The original female names on the lists since the 60s were wives/family of the male Miami forecasters back in that particular era (NHC was built in '65) It was an honor really. They had the same list of names year after year, I think for a few years all the same, until a biggie caused it to be retired, like Donna.

Nowadays, a committee votes when one name is retired.
http://www.wmo.int/pages/prog/www/tcp/Storm-naming.html
>>
>>8161840
>it's an honor to be named after a weather event of coast to coast death and destruction
>>
File: key largo.jpg (164KB, 736x596px) Image search: [Google]
key largo.jpg
164KB, 736x596px
>>8160753
>Also turned my AC way down to 65 because with our luck the power will go out for a day.
941 again.
Lowered mine to 64F in PG just to be safe. I think we're all fine, but hey, I don't want to wake up at 3am sweating. The wind right now is whistling through the screens around the pool. I lowered the shutters, kind of wish I could see out.

Sipping some Cranberry Sprite Zero and nibbling some banana bread from the freezer, and watching Key Largo on Amazon Prime. Film noir with a bit of hurricane force winds throughout the mystery! Couldn't think of anything else to fit the winds. Talked into the Amazon Fire remote and all I found were depressing Katrina documentaries. I'll take a recommendation for double features.
>>
>>8161850
Welcome to America.
>>
File: lester.jpg (174KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
lester.jpg
174KB, 1200x900px
>>8161238
>So did Obama put you all in FEMA death camps yet?
Naw, Rick Scott is republican-style taking care of business with "YOU WILL DIE" press statements. I noticed Lester Holt (thinly veiled Hilary's friend) arrived in Orlando, literally on the last flight, to cover the storm. Arrived like a bigshot about 15 minutes before the wind and rain started once he drove to the coast. Looked pro and well fed. He's no Jim Cantore, I'll tell you that!
>>
>>8160735
Is it worth the money?

8k is a big chunk of change for something that happens maybe once a year
>>
>>8161586
Funnel clouds can appear suddenly and fuck your shit up
>>
Well good to hear you are all still alive.
>>
>>8163751
>8k is a big chunk of change for something that happens maybe once a year
I really don't think it's that ridiculous for what it can do in a place with frequent outages, that kind of 4 hour outage that happens constantly for a lot of people every week or two. I, at most, have $400 worth of food in the freezer and fridge at any time though. If I lived somewhere without clout, like more rural, I doubt I'd be first in line for power from FPL like I have now. I'm close to a hospital and I'm high rent district. They won't mess around.

If I lived in Alaska, or had an elderly parent at home on a machine, a burn victim in my family needing the A/C, or some reason like that, sure, I'd get one. But, right now, not even my pool heater uses gas. In my state, the propane people are just crooks. You have $150 visit fees, charged for a whole tank when you don't need a whole tank, etc, minimum purchases yearly. It is absolutely better for me in the last 3 houses I've had in Florida to have nothing to do with gas, from the fireplace to the stovetop (sadly), to the water heater, it does not make economic sense. Safetywise, I'd also prefer not have a big gas tank next to my house, really. If they kick on automatically, meaning not the portable kind of generator that you catch yourself on fire doing the refilling, or having to store gasoline in your garage, then yea, they would save those popsicles, and in the case of a natural disaster, mmm hot water, mmm fans to sleep at night cooly. But outside of that, I don't have a purpose.
>>
meat and fire
>>
>>8164376
When my power goes out I just get a big pot of water and put it on the gas grill outside

Boom, hot shower
Thread posts: 64
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.