[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I think I'm missing something with cooking here pls help

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: chicken.jpg (14KB, 285x177px) Image search: [Google]
chicken.jpg
14KB, 285x177px
I think I'm missing something with cooking here pls help

I'm tryin to learn how to cook meals since fast food and cheese sticks are getting a bit bland, and I was trying to make blackened chicken (it came out alright but a bit too charred and chewy)

I read a recipe online that said to heat the pan to high heat, add butter and then cook the chicken for 5 minutes on both sides. However when I was heating the pan and especially after adding butter, there was a fuckton of smoke (no fire). What'd I do wrong?
>>
>>8135283
Non-clarified butter has a bunch of shit in it that burns pretty easily. What you saw was that butters smoke point. Thats always going to happen at some point with whatever fat you use, but all that dairy in the butter smokes at a much lower point than olive or canola oil or any of those fats. You werent doing anything wrong. Smoke is part of cooking.
>>
>>8135295
it filled my entire apartment though, had to open windows n shit
>>
>>8135298
Yeah, if youre trying to char the shit out of something theres going to be a fuckload of smoke.
>>
>>8135301
oh...

does that mean it's a bad idea? I want chicken that's tender and not bland and tasteless from the oven...

Is it better to just season it and cook it in a pan at lower heat? pls advise
>>
>>8135283
>>8135283
I'd say that high heat is only reserved for boiling something.

Keep it at at medium high, don't use a nonstick pan, and use oil instead of butter (for the reasons that the above poster mentioned)

If you want butter flavor, add it in near the end.
>>
>>8135301
What you should do is heat it until it just starts to smoke and then reduce the heat so that it maintains that temp but doesnt go any further. If you just keep blasting the heat its gonna over-do what youre going for. Playing with the heat is part of cooking. Youre learning though.

>>8135307
I mean I can see butter being essential because of said smoke point to get that char. He just doesnt understand that he doesnt have to keep blasting it once its got to temp.
>>
>>8135312
And i mean just wisps of smoke. Nothing massive.
>>
>>8135321
hm...

So put it at 9 and when it starts to smoke bring it to 7 or something?
>>
>>8135329
Well, every stove is different and electric stoves are even harder to guage. I cant tell you because I dont know your stove. Mine for example is either blasting or just straight up off. Your key is how much smoke is being produced. If you reduce it and it still is continuing to produce even more smoke, take it further down. Dont over think it and just play with it. You want some smoke but obviously not too much. Just play with it.
>>
>>8135337
hm, okay...

I'll try it again tomorrow night. thanks for the help
>>
>>8135329
yes, also move the chicken around a lot as its cooking so it doesn't sear too much on the outside while it cooks all the way thru.
and add more butter as it goes
>>
>>8135344
If you can use bone-in skin on thighs and use salt and pepper and cook initially skin side down.
>>
>>8135283
>chicken
I start with high and do both sides for 30 seconds
then switch to low/medium and put the lid on the pan and cook for ~10minutes
if the chicken piece has a bone, you might have to cook longer, lower temp
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.