[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's some shit you ate growing up that you now realize

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 265
Thread images: 37

What's some shit you ate growing up that you now realize was legit poor people food?

One of my mom's specialties was kraft mac and cheese made with ketchup and topped with hard-boiled eggs.
>>
Boiled potato with butter, vinegar and salt.

Strangely enough, still my favourite comfort food.
>>
Devon sandwich with tomato sauce.
>>
>>8105790
>Dad asks me what I want for dinner
Just some noodles with onion, soy sprouts, soy sauce and a bit of sesame oil
>Come on anon at least let me add some chicken
Nah, I just like the like that
Whole dinner was like 50 cents and i loved it
>>
>>8105801
Polony*
>>
Hard boiled eggs sounds good! Eggs are more nutritious than the shitty noodles with fake cheese.

My gf and I usually just add peas, edges-seared-crisp hot dog slices, and strategic dollops of ketchup in the end.

>>8105795
Some of the best comfort foods are poor people/peasant food, I swear.
>>
You realize every haute cuisine in the world came from 'poor people food'.
>>
u cannot go wrong
>>
File: 90738-2532-mx[1].jpg (57KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
90738-2532-mx[1].jpg
57KB, 640x480px
Anybody make "grown-up" versions of poor people food? Eggs and Bar-S weenies were a staple growing up.

Now, I honestly eat sliced up hot dogs and eggs for a meal at least 3 times a week. But now I use 100% chicken hot dogs and scramble it up with onions, garlic, kale, and mushrooms, and top with organic ketchup and fancy salsa.
>>
>>8105790
Was that the whole meal? if not then it's not poor food, just "you're mom can't cook food"
>>
Cabbage and prosciutto risotto.

Sounds all fancy and shit to foreign ears, but when you think about it, it's just rice, oil, cabbage, vegetable stock and a very, very, very little bit of prosciutto and parmigiano (100g of each one total, divided between four servings).
It's still one of my favourite comfort foods and is what I just finished having for dinner, actually.

Costs all of $1.77USD per serving.

Another: soup of peas, pancetta, pasta and eggs. Costs $1.44 per serving.
>>
>>8105823
>now I use 100% chicken hot dogs
>>
File: hormel-mary-kitchen-hash.jpg (448KB, 840x1050px) Image search: [Google]
hormel-mary-kitchen-hash.jpg
448KB, 840x1050px
>>8105790
GROUND TURKEY. Good lord, I hate that shit. I never want to eat it again. Also, corned beef hash out of a can. So fucking revolting.
>>
steamed smoked sausage with quartered onions and cabbage.

I liked it though.
>>
>>8106003

how do you see that as poor food? That's got to be some kinda eastern german, polish staple. Sounds delicious.
>>
>Family-size frozen dinners with canned vegetables
>Canned soup with grilled cheese made from white bread and American singles
>Cheapest hot dogs, cheapest buns, 1 can of chili for 6 people
>Mini-hotdogs wrapped in pillsbury biscuits baked on top of ground beef + corn + tomato sauce
>Unseasoned chicken breasts baked on top of instant rice + cream of mushroom soup
>>
>>8105790
Lobster
>>
>>8106016
that sounds more like lazy as fuck than poor.
>>
I made hamburger helper for the first time in my life yesterday because they were 88 cents apiece and if I bought 3 I could send in a rebate for a pound of ground beef. One of the blandest things I've ever eaten.
>>
>>8106048
They go hand in hand.
>>
Hamburger Helper with a ton of extra noodles to make it go further.

Also cinnamon sugar mix on plain white toast. I hate cinnamon sugar now because it reminds me of my shitty childhood.
>>
>>8106058
Only in Burgerland and The United British Emirates.
>>
>>8106048
Yeah breasts aren't exactly the cheap cut. Either lazy or never learned to cook.
>>
>>8106072
well that's because poor people actually have jobs in those countries
>>
File: Cool-Whip.jpg (206KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
Cool-Whip.jpg
206KB, 600x400px
It was all I knew.

I legit didn't even know the difference between this and actual whipped heavy cream until 2 years ago..

I'm so ashamed now..
>>
Chard tortilla
>>
>>8105808
>You realize every haute cuisine in the world came from 'poor people food'.
yea, no.
>>
everything I ate growing up was poor-people food
>moros y christianos (beans & rice)
>mac n'cheese
>tuna casserole
>meat loaf
>egg salad
>>
Ketchup sandwiches. One slice of bread, folded. I knew it was poor shit food though.
Meatloaf and chicken thighs just in the oven since they were cheap in bulk. Spaghetti. Im so fucking sick of spaghetti and it doesn't matter if it's canned sauce or some shit. I'll only eat it if it's offered to me to be nice. My mom is a shit cook but the times she did it was always spaghetti.
>>
>>8106110
>meat
>eggs

You weren't poor. Your parents just sucked at cooking.
>>
wouf
>>
>>8106115
eggs are $1/dozen
>>
>>8106115

Eggs are cheap as shit and the meat you put in a meatloaf isn't exactly highest quality. If we're excluding anyone who ate meat or eggs from labeling themselves 'poor' then we'd better restrict this thread to third world countries because that's the only place you're going to find people so poor they can't afford eggs.
>>
>Anons compete to see who is the poorest

I hate this board
>>
>>8106078
>"b-but... people with jobs are still poor here!!!"
>somehow, working into nothing is a badge of honour
wut
>>
This stuff right here.

Honestly, though, you throw some hot sauce in this and serve it with decent bread, and I still will eat it.
>>
>>8105823
>Eggs and Bar-S weenies were a staple growing up.

This.

I'd have this almost every day of my childhood. It was either this or a bowl of top ramen.

We weren't even poor at the time. It's just what my mom knew how to make for breakfast.

There seems to be a "grew up poor" logic in adults: eat/cook the same shit, just more of it.
>>
>>8106130
working for a living is more honorable than being a leech, yes
>>
>>8106141
Haha good one wagecuck, is your boss giving you a bonus to think that way?
>>
>>8106141
until the day you get hit by a car and amass 60000000$burgerbucks of medical debt because you have no healthcare coverage and get declared permanently disabled because you couldnt afford good healthcare when you needed it
>>
>>8105790

Kraft Mac and Cheese and Ground Beef

To this day I fucking hate Mac and cheese no matter how it's made.
>>
>>8105790
Mustard sandwich when there was no bologna
Mac N Cheese with $1.00 knockoff can of spam
tortillas with refried beans, chorizo if lucky
potatoes N eggs
Smack ramen & store brand kool-aid
>>
>>8105795
my mom used to do this but added eggs and carrots and some diced onion and then lightly doused with vinegar and salt. I still eat it to this day
>>
File: 100_6758.jpg (2MB, 3472x2604px) Image search: [Google]
100_6758.jpg
2MB, 3472x2604px
>>8106135
>there was no working microwave in the house
>electricity was off because the bills didn't get paid
>all those times standing over the sink and eating it straight from the can with chopped weenies
Thanks for the flashbacks, anon.
>>
>>8106308
I'm going to try it that way.
>>
Hamburger Helper and canned veggies was my childhood diet.
>>
We always ate food from fresh ingredients. We were legit poor, just not retarded.
>>
My mom grew up with 4 siblings so she was used to eating poor people food. One of the most notable ones was cheese sandwiches, which was literally a couple slices of cheese between bread. This of course was passed down to me on occasion. I don't understand the logic behind it, because the difference between grilled cheese and a cheese sandwich is very little work.
>>
dont know what my mother called it but she would fry cheap turkey sausage and add potato and canned corn. a bit of water and bbq sauce. it was alright.
>>
>>8105790
A Diablo sandwich and a Dr. Pepper.
>>
>>8106501
>a couple slices
you werent that poor then
>>
>>8106513
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Government_cheese
>>
>>8106165
I still eat this on occasion. The trick is to cook the hamburger until it becomes crispy.
>>
>>8106501
there is literally nothing wrong with cheese sandwiches
>>
>>8106524

But grilled cheese is objectively better
>>
Who else is using this thread to find meal ideas? Poor college kid btw
>>
>>8106524
Isn't it a normal meal when using patrician tier breads and cheeses?
>>
Miracle Whip and saltine cracker sandwiches on fresh, soft white bread. This was my creation when I was around 6 or 7 years old.
>>
White rice with soy sauce.
>>
I never ate poor person food. We had a home cook and she made us nice food.
>>
bologna & hot dog stew
>>
>>8106539
probably added some of daddy's cum scooped right out of her ass
>>
>>8106547
And she made it taste delicious.
>>
>>8106165
This was awful. I don't know why they insisted on it.
>>
>>8106115
Meatloaf exists to disguise that the animal byproduct you're eating is not fit for human consumption.

Eggs are 99c a dozen in 2016 even for me in one of the highest cost of living areas in America. They must've been stupid-cheap a decade ago when all these anons were small in the lamest slums and suburbs of the western world
>>
>>8105790
Mac N cheese with cut up hot dog in it.
>>
>>8106501
I had a friend who had 3 siblings and I saw wierd shit like that all the time
Like they would open the fridge, take a hotdog and keptchup and eat it like that.
I know it comes cooked but don't you want it at least warm? Haven't you just grab a slice of bread, boil it for a minute and eat a fucking hotdog?
I guess that at some point you stop giving a semblance of a fuck
>>
>>8106331
Multi-generational poverty breeds the competency out of families sometimes. Painful reminder that free will is an illusion#1000
>>
This
>>
fluffy shit

>onions in a pot with some oil
>only salt and pepper
>add ground beef
>fry till cooked
>ADD WATER
>BOIL SOME
>ADD CAULIFLOWER
>DONE

its disgusting, mom doesn't even save herself with stock or anything
>>
>>8106633
>Multi-generational poverty breeds the competency out of families sometimes.
More like they are impoverished because the lack of competency.
>>
>>8106623
This was GOAT
>>
>>8106676
It was until you discovered smokey links then that was GOAT.
>>
>>8106645
me too, and i loved this shit, especially with eggs
>>
Pieces of bread with brown gravy on them.
10/10 no regrets
>>
I would call Mac and cheese poor person food. That's a legit American staple. Sure it's not expensive out something you'd serve at a formal dinner, but who doesn't love just Mac and cheese once in a while?
>>
Baked beans on toast
>>
>>8106069
>Hamburger Helper with a ton of extra noodles to make it go further.
>>
>>8106069
>>8106893
How is hamburger helper? I was thinking of picking some up for easy cheap meals.
>>
>>8106898
It's gooey and salty.

In my fat days I used to mix some white rice and corn into a bowl with the cheeseburger macaroni.
>>
Eggs + ham + pasta all together. Lots of salt.

Lots of canned veggies and frozen box meals
>>
>>8106645
I loved these as a kid. Tried them as an adult. Fucking vile.
>>
>>8106898
It's basically ramen with egg noodles and some ground beef
>>
Tomato and mayo sandwiches

Mac and cheese with a million onions and a can of tomatoes but hardly any cheese

Fried bologna

A big pot of pinto beans (which I still make all the time but better)
>>
>>8105823
>chicken hot dog
>kale
>organic ketchup

Wtf
>>
>>8106157
>getting hit by a car
>not suing the driver into poverty for the emotional trauma and retiring early
You must not be an American.
>>
>>8105790
>What's some shit you ate growing up that you now realize was legit poor people food?
cement
>>
>>8107115
>get hit by car
>try to sue
>deemed your fault and not the driver's
>lose court case
>now have to pay both legal and medical fees
>debt rises to 100000000$burgerbucks
for the land of the 'free,' you sure do pay a lot for basic human protections and rights with no guarantee that they'll be upheld
>>
I liked those chinese meatballs, processed crab sticks and processed fish balls. My mom would make those with a transparent really thin noodle-like thing with really delicious soup. Its very easy to eat and very eat to chew, but since its processed...
>>
>>8105790
Canned salmon casserole: soak several slices of white bread in milk and an egg or two. Add can salmon, chopped onion, chopped celery, salt, pepper. Put in baking dish and bake until it turns into a fishy bread pudding.
>>
>>8107128
pedestrians essentially have right of way in nearly every single case. probably didnt have time to educate yourself due to your shitty schools, europoor. too busy choosing a career at age 12, europoor.
>>
>>8105811
The fact that this isn't chocolate triggered me
>>
>>8107128
I don't know anything about America and it's justice system: The Post.
>>
>>8107452
>>8107485
>the pedestrian is protected/has the right of way
Nope.
That's only if you call immediately after it happens and even then, there are a lot of factors that could either limit your awards if you do win or completely ruin your chances altogether.
If you get hit by a car, adrenaline may lead you to believe that you're fine at the moment. Many people hit by cars say "I'm fine!!!" and refuse further help only to find out at some later date and time that they have a radial-head fracture or something more severe. You may be too much in shock to think about calling police or may think yourself raving too maniacally to make an effective report or, worst of all, your maniacal raving makes you unsympathetic to police who will, outside of their job description, judge you to be at fault and refuse to file the report for you (which opens up a whole 'nother can o' worms). Nearly half of all incidents where a pedestrian or cyclist is hit by a car will yield reports that completely lack the account of the accident from the victim's point of view. Unsurprisingly, this makes the suit very, very difficult for the pedestrian.
And no: an ER report won't hold nearly the same weight in US courts as a police report, especially if you don't go immediately after the accident (even moreso if not by ambulance).

But we'll say that up to this point, in the face of all the odds stacked against, you've done everything the right way. Did you forget to call the driver's insurance number? Don't tell me you forgot to get it in the first place? I'll assume you got it. Well, try not to blad to the insurance company. They work for the driver, not the pedestrian. Anything you say will be used in /their/ report which, as you may expect, they'll try to curve as much as possible to their favour.

So you didn't blab. That's good.
Didja get a lawyer? What? You don't have money for one? And he won't give you any advice at all unless you do retain? You're SoL, then, I guess. )-:
>>
>>8106893
NICK
>>
>>8106308
>>8105795

that sounds delicious anon
>>
File: stop.jpg (38KB, 137x234px) Image search: [Google]
stop.jpg
38KB, 137x234px
>>8105823

>chicken hot dog
>kale
>organic ketchup

so you turned it into a meme. good one
>>
Everything we had for supper when I was a kid.
We were poor.
Every day it was shit like:
Chicken noodle soup
hot dogs
egg in the middle of the bread
mushroom soup
cheese sandwich
PB+J
>>
Ramen noodles with cheese sauce.

it was fine at first, then i got better at cooking and then i realized, that thing sucked.
>>
>>8106129
http://youtu.be/WRxjqOcvxoE
>>
>>8105790
My father loves pasta so we often ate pasta, at the very least Saturday evening (It was always Pasta on Sat evenings).

Now I love pasta too likes he does.

French cuisine doesn't really have any "poor people food" since there's always meat, cheese or sauce (or several of those at the same time) but it's common for students to eat pasta everyday when they're broke.

We don't have mac'n'cheese (Well, many of us add grated cheese to our pasta) or Ramen that you guys talk so much about. I think you can find some in the Asian/Foreign Food row, but there's most likely less choice than what Americans seem to have.
>>
>>8107886
Oh, right, there's one kind of poor people food: Canned Ravioli / Canneloni. The meat is so low-quality that the taste is dangerously close to dog food... but the pasta and tomato sauce hide it fairly well. Not typical french cuisine, of course.
>>
File: 20160919_113917.jpg (4MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20160919_113917.jpg
4MB, 5312x2988px
Butter and tortilla
>>
>>8105991
>corned beef hash out of a can
I was going to yell at you then I looked at the picture and realized you meant "already prepared corned beef hash in a can", not "corned beef hash made with corned beef from a can"
>>
>>8107886
I'd say pot-au-feu without the meat qualifies

That and various soups
>>
>>8106097
Used to freeze that shit and eat it like ice cream
>>
>>8106157
If you owe that kind of money it's the hospitals problem not your problem. If your poor you can just evade the debt by job jumping and hiding your money in one of those debit cards you see at the store. Make your to have as little as possible taxes pulled out so you dont have a huge return for them to steal and your golden. Call them up years later and try to settle for 10 cents on the dollar.
>>
Mom was lazy, i ate out a lot stuff is gross.
>>
>>8106157
Leave the country?
>>
>>8105811
>not chocolate
The absolute madman...
>>
>>8105790
i once ate a mac and cheese portion and slept for two hours after that
>>
>>8106016
>Canned soup with grilled cheese made from white bread and American singles
That's poor food? I had that for dinner last night, except I used multigrain bread and shredded sharp cheddar.
>>
If you're feeding your kids this kind of stuff more than once a month, you've made a huge mistake in life.
>>
is it me or do only poorfags call them weenies? It's a fucking hot dog you retards.
>>
>>8106772
Kraft Dinner is THE Canadian national food
>>
>>8105790

ditch the ketchup and that sounds tasty
>>
"Tube steaks" aka hotdogs
and ham sandwiches with only one slice allowed
>>
salmon patties, fucking disgusting.
pork chops were also awful

other than that, decent cook
>>
>>8105808

Canned mystery meats, frozen TV dinners, canned spaghetti, hotdogs, cheap, bad, chemically produced fake cheese.
>haute cuisine

Lawl.
>>
>>8105906
Tell me more about the soup, sounds comfy
>>
>>8108026
I'm English and 'weenie' is what we otherwise call a 'willy' or 'todger' so I like it when Americans say they're basically eating dicks because it's hilarious.

Stop interfering.
>>
>>8105790
Raw hot dogs cut up and cooked mixed in with canned beans.

Haven't had it in years, but in my mind it is still tasty.
>>
>poor people food

What the fuck does this even mean?
>>
>>8107056
>>8107648
don't forget that fancy ketchup
>>
>>8110136
salsa*
>>
Aw, this thread gives me bittersweet feels.

My dad used to buy those Vienna sausages that came in a can. They're usually from discount stores like Big Lots. Sometimes he used hotdogs in fried rice which was mixed with frozen veggies that Aldi's sell for less than a dollar. Some weekends we'd bake their frozen pizzas because they were cheap though not always filling.

I'm glad we don't eat like that/that shit anymore, but I still have a strong appreciation for Aldi's.

I remember how my parents took me to McDonald's on my birthday when I was really little. It was definitely something of a treat than a frequent outing because it was either for that or being on a road, but even on the road we'd prepare food .

I guess my.folks knew that fast food added up quickly, and so we almost always had homemade meals.
>>
>>8105823
Not even gonna trip about your "organic" "kale" bullshit, but why in fuck would you use ketchup AND salsa??? Die screaming.
>>
>>8108779
Different anon, but now that you reminded me, I also ate a lot of frozen dinners and nasty ass "cheese" slices because they were easier on my parents' wallets. I think that Kraft singles commercial from the 90s - the one where they poured oil in a glass of water to emphasize fake cheese competitors reinforced my distaste for that off brand cheese.
>>
>>8106126
So much this. If I am watching the ads, you can get 2 dozen eggs for less than $2 and I very often find huge packs of drumsticks for like 75cents a pound.
>>
>>8105790
Bland pasta and rice for 28 days per month
We were really poor in my childhood
>>
Pancakes, the shitty kind, you buy a giant box of mix for like a buck, and then just add water
Spaghetti, to this day, like another anon said, I will only eat it to be polite.
Monkey Brains, aka, oatmeal.
And the only thing I still make to this day, Creamed Tuna on Toast. It's basically tuna gravy. One can of tuna, and a bunch of flour, S&P, some butter on toast would feed the whole family. Nowadays I triple the tuna and grill some onions and garlic with it, I think my mom. Used to use frozen onions.
>>
Bread and butter.

We got bread.

And put butter on it.

Fold the bread so it looks like a sandwich

then
>Enjoy your lunch, son.
>>
My parents literally forraged for wild food.
>be sent to school with fruit for lunch that parents picked off the side of the road.
>Mother used to add water to our budget brand margarine to make it go further
>if we had sandwiches for lunch it had no butter and only jam mum had made with fruit we got off the side of the road(which wasnt that bad)
>>
>>8106055
>What is seasoning
>>
File: 1298431447976s.jpg (2KB, 126x126px) Image search: [Google]
1298431447976s.jpg
2KB, 126x126px
>>8105790
That ain't shit we were well off my mum was just fucking retarded when it came to cooking and refuses to learn. True story of mum cooking from my teenage years:
>Put steak in pan cold
>No oil or anything
>Turn to high
>Go off and get distracted
>Burn one side
>Tear off pan and put water in pan
>Boil other side until well boiled
>Add soy sauce.
>This was what she did with all meat and consistently ruined dinners.
One time, we bought steak for dinner since we were sleeping over and cooked it at a friends house. I did very similar and his brother just stopped dead in the kitchen and asked me "what the fuck are you doing, who taught you to cook" and then taught me how to cook with the rest of the steaks. She still can't cook, we've gotten her to use oil but she compulsively burns everything with her trade mark "set to sun temperature and immediately do other things" technique. She leaves roast in the oven for hours while she goes off riding and then pours a bunch of water into it, that her cooking for us when my brother and I visit for dinner.
>>
File: 1371136872076.jpg (67KB, 282x341px) Image search: [Google]
1371136872076.jpg
67KB, 282x341px
>>8105790
Whenever my parents cooked something out of the box/can, they'd add to it (both are good cooks). Can't remember anything specifically as my dad got a higher paying job when I was 11-12.

>>8106531
>mfw
I never thought of it like that...
>>
Pasta with canned tomatoes and a little bit of broth. Put some parmesan on that shit, fucking delicious. We called it macaroni and broth. It was my favorite food for a really long time.
>>
>>8105790
Hand made flour or corn tortillas with refried beans and scrambled eggs with ketchup and cotija cheese. Oddly enough I now sell the same thing in my cafe for $10 and people buy it up like crazy only with salsa.
>>
>>8108779
>poor people ate any of that shit before the second half of the twentieth century
>>
rice scrambled with an egg, usually leftover rice so it was gummy and nasty
>>
Dad would pan fried dough in grease when he got laid off for several years and couldn't get work beyond under the table stuff because the Unions would take it as a sign he was moving on and give his seniority to someone else.

Ate a lot of canned soup, white bread,deli meat, rice pasta and potatoes during that time.

He also got me into what I call poverty balls, where You take a slice or two of bread and squish it down into a fist size ball and eat it. For extra flavor you toasted it.
>>
File: Spaghetti_15816.jpg (860KB, 4288x2848px) Image search: [Google]
Spaghetti_15816.jpg
860KB, 4288x2848px
Spaghetti, like a couple others have said ITT....I fucking hate the shit, my mom would and still to this day cooks enough sauce at a time to feed a small villiage, I ate so much of it growing up that I literally hate it

Also...."mush" as we called it, what this was was simply cinnamon graham crackers crushed up in a bowl and added with milk....a tasty snack but yeah seems pretty poorfag looking back on it

Another cheapo staple in my house was lebanese potatoes and eggs.....this is basically just pan cooked with onions and scrambled eggs, although despite eating this often I still enjoy it...great with just a few squirts of ketchup

Also chicken salad sandwiches made from KFC leftovers

Hamburger steaks...literally just a hamburger but served like a steak rather than as a sandwich

Cube steaks
>>
bread toasted on the pan with oil and red pepper because butter was too expensive
>>
>>8110745
Why not buy fake butter? Isnt that stuff cheap
>>
>>8105991
hormel's is delicious fuck you
>>
>>8106135
I still eat this every day, sure it's not delux or anything but if you can't eat it alone add some brown sugar.
>>
>>8106104
>FrencCountry food
>French food in general
>sushi, ramen
>charcuterie
>cheese

Yeah, it is.
>>
Potato stew with a small amount of ground beef. It was really tasty.
>>
File: 1474061587681.png (114KB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
1474061587681.png
114KB, 320x320px
The real question is, why do poor people have children? I would never bring a child into a situation where he'd have to live off ramen and hotdogs. His IQ would be a good 20 points below his potential and he'd probably be a manlet. Not to mention miserable.
>>
Corn. Smoke sausage. Mac 'n cheese.
>>
My mum used to do roast dinners a lot, with pork strips (belly pork cut into half inch strips) as the meat. They were my favourite so i never complained, only found out recently we had them was because they were so cheap. Veg is dirt cheap as well.

Used to have curry a lot as well, also a very cheap meal if you know what you are doing.
>>
>>8110983
Kids don't know the difference for several years. At least by 9 or 10 the parents had better make something of themselves.
>>
>>8110991
Curry is cheap?
>>
File: matson.jpg (32KB, 320x224px) Image search: [Google]
matson.jpg
32KB, 320x224px
>>8110983
I think most of the time it's either religion or because they weren't poor at the time.

I remember going to Wal-Mart around Christmas 2008 and thinking "god damn, there are a lot of toddlers here."
>>
>>8110983
I ate Indomie almost everyday for dinner and I tuned out fine. Fuck you.
>>
>>8110998
Sure, couple of large chicken breasts, curry paste or powder, large onion, tinned tomatoes or passata, large cup of rice. Can feed a family of five for about £10
>>
>>8110983
>The real question is, why do poor people have children?
Because that's how population works. People breed less during affluent, easy times where offspring are more likely to survive. Put a population under stress and the birthrate increases. Throw in a huge disaster like a war and you get a baby boom.

This applies to social class as well. The rational thing to do would not have kids you can't afford, but biologically we're not programmed that way. To poor people having a family is very important. Those living in the poorest parts of the world place a huge value on it. The richer you get the less the drive to reproduce is there. Many rich countries have negative birthrates. Many rich people choose not to reproduce at all.

That's just how biology works.
>>
>>8111011
- t. manlet
>>
>>8105823
Was gonna post this
>>
Minute rice mixed with cheesewiz with a side of wieners and ketchup to dip
>>
>>8105991
This """food""" got me through a rough college semester. Greasiest shit I've ever eaten by far though.
>>
>>8105790
very small rocks.
>>
>>8105806
>Some of the best comfort foods are poor people/peasant food, I swear.

Because that's what they are. Meat is rich people food, comfort food is carbs so you could go toil all day. See rice and beans, pasta, potatoes, tortillas, etc.
>>
Rice and Beans.
>>
File: beef-toproundsteak.jpg (53KB, 563x279px) Image search: [Google]
beef-toproundsteak.jpg
53KB, 563x279px
>>8111354
>Meat is rich people food

No, lean meat is rich people food.
>>
>>8105790
my canadian nigga
>>
>>8105790
Liverwurst/braunschweiger w bread and butter pickle sandwiches. Bland potato soup made with instant powdered potatoes. Government cheese, peanut butter and canned meats.
>>
File: vienna sausage.jpg (330KB, 993x1200px) Image search: [Google]
vienna sausage.jpg
330KB, 993x1200px
>>8105790
like squishy crack
>>
File: Andy's.jpg (25KB, 450x450px) Image search: [Google]
Andy's.jpg
25KB, 450x450px
>>8111423
>meat is for rich people

I legitimately pity you if that's true where you live.
>>
>>8111423
>>8111354
>>8112220

shit wrong post
>>
>>8105811
This isn't poor people food, just lazy people food.
>>
File: image.jpg (67KB, 402x500px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
67KB, 402x500px
>>8111432
> Bland potato soup made with instant powdered potatoes.
>>
"Spanish Rice"

Is there anything poorer than tomatoes and rice?
>>
>>8112220
Have seen the price of lean beef these days?
>>
Thuringer sausage, Cabbage, Potatoes, and lima beans. All cooked together in water and then served like a soup. I ate that so much as a child.
>>
>>8112240
Certainly few things more delicious.
>>
the dollar menu.
>>
>>8112224
This. Wendy's is actually expensive for fast food. Hardy's-Carl's Jr. has quality shit for a good deal ($5 lunch bag). McDonald's and Burger King wrestle over last place.
>>
>>8106632
I used to take hotdogs and nuke them to oblivion, till it turned into a hollow, oily, crispy mess.
>>
>>8106138
>>8105823
A real poorfag would not be able to afford the weenies
>>
Diced spam, canned green beans, and potatoes all thrown into a pressure cooker with salt and pepper. Family of five kids, two grandparents, parents, and only my dad with a steady income, times could get pretty lean, but we made do.

Thing were a lot better later in the year since my mom kept a garden and we had chickens for eggs. Fresh corn, canned peppers, all sorts of jam and jelly, lots of pickled goods.
>>
>>8112325
They're only $1 and mostly water.
>>
File: REEEEEEEEEE.webm (2MB, 836x422px) Image search: [Google]
REEEEEEEEEE.webm
2MB, 836x422px
>meat
>poorfag
I ate a big bowl of spaghetti/ some other pasta from the grocery store for dinner every night.

For my birthday my mom even threw in $2 garlic bread.

Breakfast and lunch were mainly PBJ sandwiches
>>
>>8105811

I've never understood why people do this.
>>
>>8109239
That's like when i visit london. Guy I know says he is going out for a fag. He's gay too
>>
>>8105811
their fries have been gross since they went natural or whatever
>>
>>8106622
"one of the highest costs of living in America"

bout 45 minutes from Seattle here and they're like 3.17
>>
File: GC-ButteredBread.jpg (760KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
GC-ButteredBread.jpg
760KB, 1200x900px
Poor people food? White bread/toast and butter. It's also delicious.
>>
Buttered noodles.
>>
plain spaghetti with vegemite and an egg, plus tomato sauce (ketchup) to taste.

i didn't mind it, really.
>>
Toasted bread with butter and pancake syrup. Shit was a good snack.
>>
>>8106048
>>8106058
Even if you don't have a huge budget ,if you know how to cook and use spices you can make cheap but decent meals.

My Mom had a herb garden on the balcony and we got a small patch behind the house were we grew some veggies.

My Dad was traveling a lot and had some contacts, so he always bought cheap stuff like old kitchen stocks from the army or big Company Kitchens.. (nothing ancient, just stuff that they couldn't use anymore because the expiration date was running in a few years) Of course it was canned or frozen stuff. But i never had to eat Pasta with Ketchup or Ice-soup.

It really depends how you organize your resources. And knowing where to get cheap supplies.
>>
File: 640x960.jpg (68KB, 640x853px) Image search: [Google]
640x960.jpg
68KB, 640x853px
I love these little niggers
>>
White rice, cinnamon, and sugar.
No cream and no butter.
>>
>>8105790
Ramen noodles with some hotdogs and an egg. We had a lot of kids in the house. Easy way to feed the village.
>>
>>8105790
Scrambled eggs with cut up bar-s weenies, didn't realize how weird and poor it was until a close friend told me he's never heard of it before

Still eat it tell this day though, love it.
>>
>>8105790
Nope sorry. I lived on a farm in TN and even though we couldn't afford television we ate like fucking kings every night.
>>
Minced Beef with gravy then you add a tin of baked beans. Get some cutting bread and butter and you're set
>>
For me it is the McChicken, the best fast food sandwich.
>>
File: img_2762.jpg (233KB, 1600x1122px) Image search: [Google]
img_2762.jpg
233KB, 1600x1122px
Bologna and butter sandwich. Got so sick of it as a kid I haven't had bologna in over 20 years.
>>
>>8110230
You were lucky to have margarine. In our family margarine was wiping slices of bread down our pustulent teenage backs.
>>
>>8110288
She sounds literally retarded.
>>
>>8113481
Just slides down your throat I'd imagine
>>
>>8110983
>I would never bring a child into a situation where he'd have to live off ramen and hotdogs.
>anime picture
Well, luckily, you'll never have to worry about it!
>>
>>8110288
Your mother sounds a cunt.

No offense.
>>
>>8105795
I do this all the time, add ranch and parmesan and it's delicious.
>>
>>8105790
>hard-boiled eggs
why do people ruin eggs like this?
>>
>>8107911
new levels
>>
"pâté chinois"... Had nothing to do with anything chinese. Ground beef with corn and a layer of mashed potatoes. Not that bad but can't even eat that 25 years later.
>>
File: 000_0126.jpg (197KB, 1600x1199px) Image search: [Google]
000_0126.jpg
197KB, 1600x1199px
>>
when i was little we couldn't afford to eat outside so on sundays my dad always cooked mac and cheese with frozen patties.

i havent eat that in 15 years it gross me out
>>
Fuck you for thinking this was good, parents.
>>
File: mein-neger-meme-932x1004.png (636KB, 932x1004px) Image search: [Google]
mein-neger-meme-932x1004.png
636KB, 932x1004px
>>8107935
>>
>>8105790
litterally cheese, ground hamburger meat and pasta were my moms special casserole.

never liked it. parent gave me shit all my life about it.
>>
>>8106097

Take this, and mix it with raw confetti cake mix and plain yogurt.

Congratulations. You just made yourself a shitload of dunkeroo dip.

You're welcome.
>>
File: IMG_7217.jpg (290KB, 1600x1066px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7217.jpg
290KB, 1600x1066px
>>8115792
>>
>>8110998
Why else do you think poos eat it?
>>
grew up eating White rice, black beans, and spam (finely diced and deep fried until red and crispy). still one of my favorite comfort foods. plain rice with the savory beans and crispy/salty spam.

would also eat this like 3 times a week
>>
I used to love Vienna sausages growing up, can't stand them nowadays
>>
File: porridge.jpg (418KB, 1000x790px) Image search: [Google]
porridge.jpg
418KB, 1000x790px
>ctrl+f
>search for porridge
>no results
Were you people even poor? I mean, this stuff is only one step above gruel.
>>
>>8106055
Hamburger
Hinderer
>>
>>8106893
We used to eat hamburger helper without the meat when I was younger. We called it helpless
>>
>>8115792
>dunkeroo dip

it's icing you dip. not hard to make.
>>
>>8113641
>I lived on a farm
thats why
>>
>>8115792
can i use vanilla yogurt?
>>
leftover boiled potatoes and onions fried together
>>
>>8106055
You always need to add shit to it. If it's like the Mexican enchilada one, add cheese, some salsa, lettuce, sour cream. Make it something more than it is.
>>
>>8106529
Right here nigga.
>>
>>8112335
Those are one of two things for people.

1. Hotdogs for big gatherings or poor families, or
2. Animal food.
>>
File: IMG_6945.jpg (541KB, 2496x4160px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6945.jpg
541KB, 2496x4160px
anyone ever do this?
>>
>>8117019
Only everyday after school. Can't imagine how I ended up a fat kid.
>>
>>8105790
My siblings used to pick mold off of bread, put a bit of butter on it and ball it up to feed me when I was a nipper.
Can't stand the sight of buttered bread now
>>
>>8107444
PUKE.

mine was french fry (chips) sandwiches
>>
for us chinks it's plain congee and pickled veggies
>>
>>8111423
which is stupid because fat is not bad for you. betacuck society stuck with that age old meme that fat makes you fat. spoilers: it's the fucking corn that's making you fat.
>>
>>8116985

Yup
>>
File: chucksteakvsflanksteak.jpg (68KB, 1028x370px) Image search: [Google]
chucksteakvsflanksteak.jpg
68KB, 1028x370px
>>8117009
>Hotdogs for big gatherings

Of cheap people, yeah. You know someone's gonna try to show their status with some ballparks.

>>8117131
No, fat isn't bad for you and fatty meat is more versatile for cooking.

However, lean meat results in the cleaner cuts that beta society loves, with more nutrition per serving.
>>
>>8105790
>What's some shit you ate growing up that you now realize was legit poor people food?

titty milk
>>
literally nothing, feels good

i mean, we went to mcdonalds occasionally after our trips up to the mountains for skiing, but not sure that counts.
>>
>>8119138
you're dum, human breast milk is actually quite expensive.
>>
For a span of maybe 10 years, I didn't eat a single hamburger. Closest thing we had were turkey "burgers".
>>
>>8117019
Did this but added a drizzle of cheap taco sauce on top too
>>
>>8108036
Kraft Dinner tastes like shit. In Canada, the President's Choice White Chedder mac n cheese is both way better and cheaper.
>>
>>8105823
my son's first words were 'hotdog omelette'
>>
>>8106126
Well that's the thing, most "poor" people in the US would probably be in the top 25% worldwide. How many people on food stamps do you think own an iphone or the newest pair of jordans?
>>
Meatloaf. Mince and sausage mix and veggies.

Spag bowl. Like bolognaise, but not cooked as long.

Apricot chicken.

Minimum chips and bread.

Irish stew

Pea and ham soup.
>>
Pinto beans and sausage with cornbread.

Pretty good meal but I've realized having beans as an principle ingredient of your meal is a little messed up.
>>
>>8106152
Get a job and some responsibility you degenerate. That or neck yourself.
>>8105790
Grew up in a family of 7 and money was tight so a staple meal that we had atleast once a week was a huge fucking sauce pan of spaghetti that we would eat.
>>
>>8119937
kek
>>
spaghetti and ketchup ;_;
>>
>tfw eating the cheapest kind of burger (basically pork meat and saw dust) in between two slices of toast all held together in a coffee filter
>tfw no bread so we toasted hot dog buns in the oven and spread butter on

How nostalgic
>>
>6'3 father
>was one of the tallest kids in elementary school when my parents were doing fine economically
>dad loses job he had had for 20 years when I'm 11/12 and goes full JUST-tier with his deppression, parents divorce after mom cheats on him
>both parents now below poverty line, usually stay with mom who couldn't cook for shit
>tfw your growth abruptly stops in 7th grade
>tfw you end up 5'8" after you spend puberty being raised on a diet of fast food and other artificial, processed foods devoid of nutrition

Just kill me
>>
Bread and cheese sandwiches with either ketchup or mayo.
>>
>>8106055
I had to eat that shit at least 3 times a week until I left home at 19. Fuck. Me.

also
>macaroni and cheese (sometimes with hotdogs)
>canned ravioli
>meat loaf topped with a thick layer of ketchup
>some fucking weird casserole with lima beans, corn, ketchup and some other shit
>shake and bake chicken
>mickey d's and all the typical fast food
>frozen jacks and tombstone pizzas

I had the trailer park diet without living in the trailer park.
>>
>>8113789
>>8113781
None taken. She's very good at her profession, I honestly think she maybe a bit autistic or assburgers. You can never explain to her how to do things. Shits stupid.
>>
File: IMG_2672.jpg (784KB, 1600x1199px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2672.jpg
784KB, 1600x1199px
dotted turkey
>>
>>8122464
nigger you cant expect to be tall just because your dad is
>>
>>8105790
kraft and prepackaged ham steak, probably a canned vegetable too
>>
Toast with honey and chicken seasoning
i still eat it sometimes
>>
>>8110983
Honestly it's really like why do most people have children.
I used to want to, but I was only younger then and with the state of the world, regardless of how well off I am, just seriously why.
>>
File: iStock_000009409300XSmall[1].jpg (172KB, 424x283px) Image search: [Google]
iStock_000009409300XSmall[1].jpg
172KB, 424x283px
This.
>>
>>8110983
>The real question is, why do poor people have children? I would never bring a child into a situation where he'd have to live off ramen and hotdogs.
Not going to speak about the unwashed masses overseas, as it's been answered. But, most children are unplanned, and out of poverty. There are children out there who were born because the parent didn't have enough money for a 3rd abortion. Not all children are born out of love, though. The mother chose a loser, however, who didn't stick around or have prospects to begin with. When the breakup happens, it's a single mom. The poorest people in the US are single moms. They didn't all start single though, even affluent families break up and the dick doesn't help enough, because he'd need to make double his salary to maintain his previous lifestyle. Double income that drops to losing half his income is hard for a selfish person to comply with. That said, there are a lot of poor dads out there living out mistakes by getting involved with wacko bipolar women, living in 1 bedroom apartments and supporting the Ex in a nearly similar lifestyle just for the sake of their caring for kids.

>His IQ would be a good 20 points below his potential and he'd probably be a manlet.
IQ is more about your genes going into the creation of the baby, truly. Smart people have smart kids. Mom's in utero nutrtion would help quite a bit, but since the baby robs the mother, they do alright if they get enough to avoid birth defects. Full intelligence development might be linked to fish and omegas by the mom's diet, however. Since a kid is likely raised by grandma in the poorest of situations (can't afford child care til free pre-K), it's nearly equivalent to the stay-at-home mom experiences with lots of interaction, in an educational sense.
>Not to mention miserable.
Kids are pretty happy if their parents are loving people, until about Grade 3-5 when the awareness of "things" really picks up among their peers.
>>
I had a friend in middle school who constantly had a cheese sandwich for lunch. Two slices of white bread, a slice of American cheese, and ketchup. Usually with some off brand juice. I thought he was poor until I went to his house. Parents were literally almost millionaires, he just had the most vanilla taste buds I've ever seen. I was friends with him for years, I don't think I ever saw him eat a single meal without white bread and/ or ketchup. On his birthday, there was a no joke feast for him, ~120 people from multiple countries and every kind of food you can imagine as a 12 year old from numerous different cultures, and the little fucker has his mom go get him Wendy's.
>>
we werent poor but my mom is handicap so all the meals were simple i love my mom
>>
>>8106511
EASTBOUND AND DOWN LOADED UP AND TRUCKIN' MY NIGGA
Thread posts: 265
Thread images: 37

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.