[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What do you guys think of Yelp? Do you write reviews? Read only?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: yelping dog.jpg (5KB, 168x254px) Image search: [Google]
yelping dog.jpg
5KB, 168x254px
What do you guys think of Yelp? Do you write reviews? Read only? Ignore it altogether, on principle?

I read the reviews (warily) when I'm in a new place and looking for a quick but solid meal choice, and write positive reviews occasionally to support local places that I love.
>>
I almost exclusively use it for the user uploaded pictures.
>>
>I parked in a handicap zone and got a ticket
>Worst restaurant experience ever
>0/10. Will not recommended!
>Shame because the food was really nice.
>>
>>8098117
hahahaha ok followup question: is yelp the next generation's yahoo answers
>>
>>8098123
Its a good site but you have to learn how to parse out the stupid reviews and generally the pictures are more helpful than anything else.
>>
>>8098123
>your feedback is important to us
>please take the time to complete the survey
Buy me a 4chan Pass and I'll answer honestly.
>>
Whats yelp, fecesbook,instscrap, twillwr?
Nah not my thingie.@
>>
>>8098103
I think it's very handy, as long as you take the reviews with a grain of salt.
You can always tell the people who either are sent to write a review to talk a place up, OR are picky little entitled shits who think the world revolves around them.
All in all, it's pretty helpful when you're somewhere unfamiliar or to learn what new places have opened near you.

I only write reviews when I either really like a place, or when it's so bad (and I mean really bad), that I feel I need to warn the public.
There's been a couple of places that I've erased my good reviews for in the past because they got much worse and I didn't want to endorse them, but I didn't write a shitty review, I just erased my previous reviews.
>>
Can be helpful occasionally but those "elite yelpers" or whatever the fuck they're called are fucking cancer.
>>
>>8098103
It's useful when I'm looking for places to eat, especially if people have taken pics of the menu. Reviews can be helpful too as long as I ignore the assholes who are giving a low rating for stupid reasons.
>>
>>8098103
Its usually pretty helpful, but hasn't been of much use in Chicago. People don't know what good food actually taste like apparently
>>
>>8098117
My biggest annoyance is when people say they've been to a restaurant many times and have obviously had positive experiences since they never complained before, but then they have ONE bad experience (often fairly minor) and write a negative review.

The most egregious one I remember is a guy who said he loved the food at a sandwich shop, but gave it a 2 rating just because he had to wait an extra 5 minutes more for a sandwich.
>>
>>8098231
I think that people write those sort of reviews as a way of complaining to management without speaking to them directly.

Not saying that point isn't valid, just offering a reason.

My biggest issue is fake/shill reviews.
>>
>>8098103
I use Yelp for things that are not eating establishments. For example going to the best DMV office to renew my license, the reviews were spot on.
>>
File: (banging noises).jpg (150KB, 900x675px) Image search: [Google]
(banging noises).jpg
150KB, 900x675px
I was a little hesitant to go to Morimoto NYC due to the fear that his TV chef status inflated the restaurant, and compounded with VERY mixed yelp reviews. I went with my family and got omakase and it was one of the most amazing food experiences I have ever ever ever had.

I went back and read some reviews that were so nitpicky that my jaw dropped, who the fuck do these princesses think they are? Food reviewers from the fucking New York Times?

It just confirmed my ongoing suspicion with a lot of Manhattan yelp reviews that there are a lot of:

-princesses who think that everything has to be fucking perfection
-hipsters who would rate a soup kitchen 5 stars for its "cozy decor" and "cool neighborhood"
-shills. plain 'ol shills

Oh well. It used to be a good tool when I lived in other cities, but it's fucking useless in Manhattan.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.