[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'll be going to Hawaii soon for my anniversary, and am

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

File: download.jpg (7KB, 258x195px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
7KB, 258x195px
I'll be going to Hawaii soon for my anniversary, and am anxious to try the food there. Is there anything I should keep my eye out for that I can bring back home with me?

Pic related. I was told that Hawaiians were crazy about spam, but I didn't think it would go this far.
>>
>>8066058
They like pork but it's america so you can find whatever you normally eat.
>>
>>8066058
Ahi Poke is great. I still order Hawaiian Portuguese sausage and have it shipped to my house to make Portuguese Breakfast from time to time, another good thing to bring home.
>>
>>8066064
I don't want whatever I normally eat. It's bad enough I'm spending a lot of money just to essentially play in the pretty water. I want to bring back some coffee and other food items that are hard to find here or non-existent.
>>
>>8066074
I'm gonna write that down.

So technically I can just order what I want online? I mean, except for farmers market fruits and vegetables, but I'm assuming that's impossible to bring on a plane anyways.

I'm interested in the seafood jerky they make there, but I don't know if there's a place that makes it from scratch I can visit.
>>
>>8066085

Well you are going to be looking for something that a cook/chef from a different island makes.

Everything you can find in Hawaii, you can find in California.
>>
>>8066169

>Everything you can find in Hawaii, you can find in California

Very few places on the mainland cook with luau (taro leaf) and ti leaf. That already makes finding lau lau and squid luau rare. I barely even see poi (not that I care), chicken long rice, lomi salmon, kalua pork actually cooked in an imu, or road side huli huli chicken done properly. Then there's crack seed (excluding li hing mui) and 'opihi, neither of which I've seen exported. And if you've never had a fresh Hawaiian papaya, you've never had a papaya, not to mention it's the only state that can serve fresh, non-frozen fish.

In other words, skip the spam and loco mocos; you can get those anywhere or make them yourself, and poke is becoming a fad food everywhere. If you get some poke, at least try some traditional kinds with the Hawaiian seaweed and salt or whatever that they don't usually serve on the mainland.

Also, I'd say you can skip malasadas, but manapua are dope.
>>
Try to find fresh poke, if you're a rice guy then poke bowls are the best. Ahi&Vegetable and Fresh Catch are places I've visited that have pretty good selection and provides it fresh. Tamura's also has a lot of different kinds of poke too.
>>
>>8066058
Bring your own coke.
>>
>>8066539

You can get coke in HI. Back when I was in high school it was around $50 per 1/2 gram, like 15 years ago.
>>
If you want authentic Hawaiian cuisine, before the haole destroyed their rich culture, eat an authentic Hawaiian person.
>>
>>8066257
Much appreciated. I'm writing this down and taking it with me. I plan on eating out at least once a day, but it'd be nice to know what I'm doing with the ingredients I buy while cooking there.
>>
>>8066574
I fucking hope that was a typo. It'll be cheaper drinking straight wine the whole visit.
>>
just got back from hawaii
its great if you want japanese food (the food court at alamoana) and other japanese food that cater to mainland japanese people

stay away from waikiki and use yelp often
>>
When I went to Hawaii I was really disappointed by how little 'hawaiian food' there was. Mostly derivative foods from other cuisines, like shoyu chicken and poke, which I found too strong compared to sushi. By the end of the week I was mostly cooking for myself because the surrounding choices were mexican, thai, american, and fish taco/poke trucks.
>>
>>8066574
>>8066706
>100/gram coke is cheap

So this is the power of a flyover state.
>>
>>8066058
You can make musubi yourself easily. Just cook sliced spam and wrap it with rice. It helps to have a block mold. If you want it seasoned mix brown sugar with soyu and ginger. All these things can be found at an Asian store if not Walmart.
Don't fall for the "authentic" crap, that's just bullshit the merchants made up as an excuse to import millions of people.
>>
>>8066788
>mfw I can get 1g in northern canuckistan for $60.

Get your act together burgers.
>>
>>8066835

Or maybe think for a minute how something like coke makes it to a place like Hawaii and how that affects the mark up...
>>
I want to try that
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.