[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are five skills a chef MUST HAVE? I say: >elementary

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 2

File: 1472745732213.webm (2MB, 474x344px) Image search: [Google]
1472745732213.webm
2MB, 474x344px
What are five skills a chef MUST HAVE? I say:

>elementary knife skills
>be able to cook perfect scrambled eggs
>be able to cook perfect eggs Benedict
>be able to create a dish on the spot when provided surprise ingredients
>be able to keep it in his pants around the front of the house
>>
>>8062347
A chef?

Menu design, HR management, vendor management, expediting, then maybe cooking.
>>
>>8062347

that's perfect if you run a restaurant that serves scrambled eggs, eggs benedict and random fuckery that the chef has no prep on.

I sense a Michelin star on the way
>>
Communication
>>
>>8062347

-mastery of chezy 'za
-Mastery of sketti making
-mastery of eggywhigs
-can cook with oil naked without burning theirself
-mastery of putting 'up and 'naise on foods
>>
- common sense
- feeling
- creativity
- knowing your abilities
- knowing your audience

I'm gonna add two more and say you need the "wisdom" and "humility" to to seek a sensible pairing between the latter two. First three according to Martin Yan *hehe*
>>
A sense of taste
Basic knife skills
The ability to multitask
Capability to learn and retain new methods of food preparation
A job
>>
Knife skills
Good control of fire
Be able to whisk egg whites to a snow peaks point without machines
Good balance of spices, sugar and salt
Speed
>>
>>8062347
-respect
-empathy
-service
-integrity
-perseverance
>>
>>8062347
Why tf would it matter if a chef can cook scrambled eggs, and wouldn't the basic fact that he can cook food ensure this, and also a retarded monkey with less than 5 years of training under gordon ramsay can cook good scrambled eggs so what
>>
>>8062347
>be nihilistic
>be intelligent
>have a wicked sense of humor
>>
>>8062386
>chef
>humility
Fucking kek.
>>
I have no other way to put this, but:
>understanding flavors' relationships and complements
>knowing your audience and investors (who you're cooking for and who's paying you and please both creatively)
>adaptability and wisdom based on practical experience and knowledge (knowing something and doing something is very different)
>business skills (marketing, customer wants vs. needs, presentation of menu and ideas, etc. etc. etc.)
>team skills (building, maintaining, and getting the most out of a group of people)
>>
>>8062347
how does the dress stay down?
is it taped or sutin?
>>
>>8062353

ding. "chef" != line cook
>>
>>8062347
knows how to activate almonds
>>
Are you like an egg fetishist or something?
>>
>>8062434
I know it's ass backwards, but after cooking for many people and clients in different settings and across the world, I realized that the food is mainly about what you can do with it––as little or as much, as simple or as complex, as traditional or as forward thinking, etc.––to appease others. No one but yourself cares about your LOLmeme signature dish or w/e unless it's something that another person––whether it's a buncha of 4-year old children or an absolute gourmand––wants to truly eat and enjoy eating.
>>
>>8062347
Sourcing: Identifying, buying and properly storing quality ingredients.
Food Hygiene: Avoiding contamination, spoilage, clean hands + equipment, etc.
Organisation: Planning, measuring, sorting, time management, etc
Food Preparation: Washing, peeling, knife stuff, egg cracking, etc
Artistic Judgement/Appreciation: Combining tastes, smells, textures, colours, shapes, etc.
>>
>>8062347
the egg thing is wayyyy overrated, no chef worth his salt has worked someplace that does breakfast in years. seriously if you work some place that serves eggs/breakfast, then you're probably a dinerjocky and not an actual chef
>>
alcohol problem
anger problem
coke problem
enjoys being borderline poor
anxiety
>>
>>8063088
That's not true. Where I live brunch is a big fucking deal, and no chef, cook can get by here without knowing how to flip an egg.
Even fine dining places have it up here
>>
>>8063159
Dude, it's fucking eggs. A hamster can cook perfect eggs. I can't believe you guys eat this meme up.
>>
>>8063159
different strokes I guess, where I live brunch is a thing of the past, several places have tried to revive it over the years but just don't get enough business to keep it up for long. and that's with bonuses like free all you can drink mimosas. people just aren't that into brunch around here and only dinners/greasy spoons in this area do breakfast
>>
>>8063166
post ur eggs, hotshot
>>
>>8063167
That's lucky. What's your region? I'm great lakes here
>>
>>8063174
oklahoma
>>
>>8062347
Sounds like you can only cook two things well, scrabmled egg and egg benedict. You think, especially, cooking the later would impress whomever you are dating or planning to date.

Remember, even in european style cooking, those two dishes are low plebian tier. In other styles of cuisines, they are just trash.

OP, you need to educate yourself before you shame yourself even further.
>>
>>8063179
this

I bet OP doesn't know more than two classical sauces and thinks melt cheddar is one of them
>>
>>8063093
Fucking this
>>
>>8062347
hahhaha eggs and eggs
>>
>>8062347
Wtf, the nearest you got to the cooking is lurking /ck/ and seeing few episodes of masterchef? Because that's how you sound like.
>>
>>8063182
I was working a brunch once (same guy in the thread) and one of the customers ordered an eggs Benedict (we do it with braised greens and pulled pork on a halved buttermilk biscuit) and she sent it back because she didn't want the 'cheese sauce' that came on top
>>
>>8063240
Filtered.
>>
>>8063244
my bad

>>8063179
>>8063166
>>8062347 (OP)
>>8062355
>>8062417
Actually he's right.

At most of the top culinary schools in the country, proving that you can cook an egg any way youre told to perfection is the first big test. Also many top executive chefs will ask someone on their stage to cook an egg to gauge their experience level.

As a breakfast chef at a fine dining restaurant that we serve 2 eggs for 6 dollars. Probably the hardest thing to learn was how to get perfectly shaped and colored eggs and not ever breaking the yolk. Fucking the bitch who I worked with in the beginning had a culinary degree, been in the industry for 10 years, most of which was at a pretty top tier restaurant. Even for her it was pretty hard.
>>
Scrambled eggs
Egg in a hole
Sunny side up
Hard-boiled eggs
Eggs benedict
>>
>>8063246
Holy shit your post screams damage control Denny's cook.
>>
>>8062347
1. Be able to cook perfect over medium eggs
2. Be able to cook perfect over hard eggs
3. Be able to cook perfect over kinda medium eggs
4. Be able to scramble eggs to perfection
5. Be able to crack an egg and not even drop it on the floor
>>
File: Work.jpg (67KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
Work.jpg
67KB, 960x720px
>>8063620
>denny's

>implying
>>
If you can't flip and omelette or a pancake you a shitty cook.
>>
>>8063672
If you can't flip an omelette or a pancake you are a pathetic human being, let alone cook.
>>
vai vai vai
>>
>>8063727
Faggot.
>>
>>8063864
What's the matter? Learning to cook all on your own since mommy took your tendies away?
>>
Damn, venturing over to /ck/ from /b/, /sp/, and /fit/ for the first time. Are there actual chefs here? Seems like it. I figured it was mostly a place for people who casually like to cook. I've been trying to improve my cooking to make my weekly food preps more palatable but this seems out of my league.
>>
>>8063927
>Are there actual chefs here? Seems like it.

No. Maybe a few on the entire board, but in your average shitty thread like this? It's people who work at fucking Chipotle and McDonalds living in fantasy land and stating shit they heard Gordon Ramsay say once to be a fact they've learnt from 'experience'.

It'd be pretty dumb to believe much of the shit spewed here, people lie for their own ego far more than people tell the truth.
>>
>>8063938

So literally /fit/ for fitness or /sp/ for sports. That's what I figured, just wanted to confirm.
>>
>>8063946
Exactly
>>
>>8063661
IHOP then? Sorry didn't mean to offend, I know you're softball rivals.
>>
>>8063927
We have as many chefs here as /sp/ has NBA players.
>>
>>8063927
>/b/ /sp/ /fit/
I didn't know people like you actually existed.
>>
>>8062426
Hey, that sounds pretty much like me.
>>
>>8064167
Think that's an odd combo? My boards are /toy/, /k/, /vp/ and /ck/.
>>
>>8064167
My boards are /b/, /ck/, /pol/, and /tg/
>>
>>8064177
At least you don't come off as some underage retard with a board list like that. /b/, /sp/, and /fit/ is pretty damning.
>>
>>8064182
>/k/, /toy/ and /vp/
>not childish autism
>>
>>8064182
How is /sp/ and /fit/ underage shit?
/toy/k/vp/ fag here. /toy/ is full of autism-incarnate 6-year-olds, I assume, going by the posts there.

>>8064190
My instinct was to shitpost you for calling /k/ childish autism, but... damn you're right. I hate that place.

I should stop wasting my time on things that I don't even enjoy huh.

/vp/ is alright, if you ignore 80% of the threads.
>>
Not a single one of you cocksmokers is actually a chef
>>
>>8063246
sounds like you need to get good
>>
>>8063927
probably very few chefs but there's definitely a number of line cooks here
>>
>>8063927
Chefs are too busy screaming at people IRL to post on here.
>>
>>8063088
>>8063166
The folds in the traditional chef's hat represent the 100 ways the wearer can cook an egg. Mastery of eggs has been used as an indication of chef skills for over a century.
>>
>>8064641
Hahahahaha
This hat was made from japanese steel folded over 1000x
lmao what an idiot
>>
>>8064182

/sp/'s biggest problem is people way too committed to their team more than being underage. /fit/ is mostly frogposters who have discovered an outlet that they think is the magic bullet for fixing themselves. But /sp/ often jumps on sports news faster than ESPN and the banter is decent, and /fit/ contains some good info every now and again.
>>
>>8063093
Holy shit this makes me want to become a chef.
>>
5 tickets to the gun show
>>
>>8062347
There went my dick
>>
>>8063093
Not everyone is Bourdain. Even he admits that.
>>
shoot
move
communicate
>>
>>8062347
dios fucking mio
Thread posts: 70
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.