[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Heya /ck/, how to prepare jars for preserves besides boiling

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_20160704_204624122.jpg (3MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160704_204624122.jpg
3MB, 4160x2340px
Heya /ck/, how to prepare jars for preserves besides boiling them?
My dumb ass failed to realize I have exactly one pot big enough to boil the jars in and I used it for the marmalade. My aunt says to wash the inside of the jars with ethyl alcohol but I have my doubts.
Any ideas? Thanks!
>>
Just put them in the oven. Around 150C for 15 minutes will do. Take them out when you're ready for them.

The lids can go into boiling water.
>>
>>7942168

You could wash them in a 5% bleach solution.
>>
>>7942171
I thought the jars being hot was needed to form a proper seal
Correct me if I'm wrong
>>
You need to boil the jars, and they need to be filled when hot.
Do you have another pot? Anything large enough to submerge the jars will do.
Or you wash the jars, fill them and stick them in the freezer.

Washing and/or warming the jars in the oven is not enough to preserve the jam, and is unsafe.
>>
>>7942227
>warming the jars in the oven is not enough to preserve the jam, and is unsafe.

Total rubbish. All you're doing is killing off bacteria & mould. Heat will do it. Water is not magic.
>>
You can still get a seal by putting hot items in the jar, then closing it.
>>
>>7942284
>>7942234
Propper, safe canning is a science. You don't just wing it, that's how you poison yourself and others.
>>
>>7942436
>Propper, safe canning is a science.

Yes, it is. So why are we making up bullshit and relying on unscientific old-wives tales?

http://thetoughcookie.com/2013/09/15/sterilize-glass-jars-and-bottles/
>>
>>7942454
seems like an awful source when it's missing half the info and more credible sources say not to sterilize via dishwasher or microwave
>>
>>7942486
http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/howto/guide/how-sterilise-jars

http://larderlove.com/how-to-sterilise-jars/

I can't be bothered to post more because they all say the same thing: you can sterilise via. a veriety of methods, including the oven.

It is only Clappyfats who obsess over water baths, for some reason.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.