[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Alright so I just came back from visiting a friend of mine who

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 4

File: Tacos-de-Barbacoa.jpg (251KB, 768x576px) Image search: [Google]
Tacos-de-Barbacoa.jpg
251KB, 768x576px
Alright so I just came back from visiting a friend of mine who lives in Oaxaca, Mexico and granted while I was prepared for the food to be nothing like what I can get in Flyover, USA I was still pretty astonished at how foreign it was. They have like 10 different kinds of moles alone and the enchiladas looked nothing like what I've seen before.

So this got me thinking, where is Mexican American food actually from in Mexico? Like how most Italian-American food has its roots in southern Italy, is there a particular region in Mexico that influenced America disproportionately?
>>
Bro I'm really high and your post made me laugh so hard haha nice dude
>>
File: Tlayuda.jpg (122KB, 640x429px) Image search: [Google]
Tlayuda.jpg
122KB, 640x429px
>>7932695
glad I could help
>>
>>7932737
Any city in the US with a decent sized Mexican population will many latino super markets sell all the stuff you listed and more at rock bottom prices.

They are usually in pretty rough neighborhoods
>>
>>7932682
California
>>
>>7932776
Fresh huitlacoche is almost always available at Feria Latina on NW 23rd street in my city

The El Mariachi market closer to my house has it sometimes.
>>
>>7932682
"mexican" food outside of mexico is generally texmex which is basically anglicisation of mexican food to refine it to fast food/common standards and expectations
>>
>>7932682
It's a mix of border food what would be referred to Tex-Mex etc. It isn't exclusive to Texas, Arizona, New México and California have their own particular influences. The majority of immigrants used to come from Western México hence the typical food from there such as Enchiladas Mineras from Guanajuato that have been modified for Americans. Now that there are more people from Southern places like Oaxaca in New York for example you'll see the influence from there begin to show. Others like tacos de carne asada are universal throughout USA/México simply because the ingredients are easy to acquire . Somehow though they're still able to fuck them up in the USA by adding weird things like cheese or tomato to them.
>>
>>7932776

This. You can get the generals and non-perishables. But you're not going to find fresh Hatch chiles in the east coast, for example.
>>
>>7933158
>which is basically anglicisation of mexican food to refine it to fast food/common standards and expectations

Actually that's not at all fucking true, but keep talking.

Tex-Mex started as a combination of American ingredients and northern Mexican staples (fresh and dried beef, flour tortillas, etc). During the 19th century, so not exactly fast food.

Nor was "Mexican" food similar then. Mexico City's cuisine was pretty much directly derived from that of Paris - the fad of pre-colonization dishes came after the Revolution. The southern areas stayed closer to their Mayan roots, but given Mexico takes its name from the Aztecs, claiming banana leaf tamales are the only real "Mexican" food is silly.

>>7933205
This is pretty spot on.
>>
>>7932682

OP, there's a pretty good book called Planet Taco that deals with the history of Mexican food.

Unlike Italian food, Mexican food wasn't formed elsewhere then brought here and adapted. Many of the northern styles (Sonoran, Tex-Mex, New Mexican) evolved together.

Meanwhile, many of the southern styles were influenced both by the French, and later waves of immigrants. Tacos al Pastor, for example, come from adaptation of a Turkish dish.

Oaxaca is pretty close to indigenous cuisine in many ways, which is why they're so heavy on the mole.
>>
>>7932762
It's not 1992, the average Mexican neighborhood in the US isn't that

As a matter of fact, the Mexican neighborhoods where I live aren't rough at all
>>
>tfw live on Long Island and there's almost no real Mexican food here, just shitty AmeriMex places
>>
How similar are Mexico City and Puebla cuisine?

The Mexican people where I live tend to be from these places, so the Mexican food is reflective of that. But I'm not sure how much different a place run by someone from Mexico City will be versus a place run by someone from Puebla.

I go to a place owned by a guy from Mexico City, but the cooks are from Puebla. I'm guessing that's a common arrangement.
>>
When I went to Mexico, I made a point to learn how they do carnitas. Miles above what we have in America, even in the south where Mexicans are abundant.
>>
>>7934092
I guess they take the process more seriously down there
>>
>>7934096
Beer, orange, and a lot of care for how the porks cooked. None of the "bland fried pulled pork" you get in the states commonly
>>
>>7934107
I think of pork as being bland, it's probably just the way it's prepared when I have it

I wonder why Mexico is such a big pork country though, I think chicken is better
>>
>>7934020
In flyover country it's always 25 years ago
>>
>>7934155
Well El Paso and San Antonio are both flyover places with a lot of Mexicans, and they're pretty safe
>>
>>7934113
>Chicken
>Better than pork

Just kys nigger.
>>
>>7934160
If only black people like chicken, then why do white people wait in lines the length of a football field to get chick fil-A?
>>
>>7934160
Are you a Puerto Rican or something? Cuchifrito ass nigga
>>
>>7934173
Nope, you must be an insecure Trump autist though
>>
>>7934174
Texas outside the big cities is flyover as fuck
>>
>>7934188
Well parts of upstate New York have a non flyover charm, despite being rural
>>
Non Flyover:

NYC
Philly
LA
San Francisco Bay Area
New Orleans
Atlanta

Flyover:
Chicago
Everywhere else
>>
File: ISHYGDDT.jpg (4KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
ISHYGDDT.jpg
4KB, 200x200px
>>7934192
>have non flyover charm
>>
>>7934202
Well yeah, the people don't come off as bland Middle Americans
>>
>>7934200
A T L
T
L
>>
>>7932737
your an idiot. all those ingredients are available here.
>>
>>7934728
Huh?
>>
>>7934186
San Antonio and El Paso are both pretty good sized cities.
>>
>>7934752
yeah they're big size, but El Paso is kinda flyover still

Is there anything of interest there except for all the Northern Mexican food?
>>
>>7934107

Beer?

I do mine Micholaden style - braised in lard, Mexican Coca Cola, and oranges.
>>
>>7934174
>>7934192

You need to listen to
>>7934200

Texas is the epitome of flyover - in the middle of nothing, has a couple cool small cities, and people trying REALLY hard to convince themselves that they're in the big boy leagues. Give it up Houston, you're suburbs in a swamp.
>>
>>7935136
LA is also an overcrowded suburb
>>
>>7935143

LA makes up for it with culture and its unique industries, and has an actual downtown. Houston does not.
>>
>>7935150
That's nice.
>>
>>7932682
>I was still pretty astonished at how foreign it was
America, the post.
>>
>>7935191
It would be foreign to a European also, I doubt they have a lot of real Mexican food there.
>>
>>7935203
Might want to research Spanish history a little, anon.
>>
>>7935227
Spain probably has some Mexican immigrants, but there is probably little to no real Mexican food in any other European country
>>
>>7935229
>Spain probably has some Mexican immigrants
Please be trolling.
>>
>>7935256
People from Latin America make up like 3.5 percent of Spain's population
>>
>>7934752
there's too much military in el paso it really fucks with the culture
>>
>>7935269
What language do you think they speak in Mexico?
>>
>>7935282
Spanish food is a lot different from Mexican food
>>
File: boo.jpg (21KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
boo.jpg
21KB, 480x360px
>>7935282
>go to Spain
>order a "tortilla" at a restaurant
>get potato and onion omelette

A common language doesn't make the food similar even if Spain brought us rice and domesticated animals
>>
>>7935322
agreed, I'm disappointed that he would try to make that comparison
>>
is it a faux pas to order a taco with no cilantro?
>>
>>7935534
No, it's just shit taste. Cilantro is excellent
>>
>>7935542
I don't really mind it mixed with meat, but I have that "soap taste" thing going on so I don't like the way it tastes by itself
>>
>>7935550
It tastes like soap to me too and I love it. Your mouth needs an upgrade
>>
>>7935567
like I said, it doesn't really bother me, except for when I get a bite of just cilantro
>>
Which moles are the best?
>>
>>7936054
Mole Amarillo is pretty dope it's probably the spiciest and doesnt have any chocolate
>>
>>7936084
>amarillo
>spiciest

kek

I love yellow, but the best would have to be one made with huitlacoche.
>>
>>7936084
Isn't Oaxaqueno very spicy?
>>
>>7936105
can be, depends who makes it obviously
>>
>>7932682

border cities I imagine
Tijuana, Mexicali, etc...

Oaxaca is far from the border so thats probably why its so different
>>
>>7936156
>border cities I imagine
http://www.grubstreet.com/2011/06/rick_bayless_loves_him_some_ti.html

>Rick Bayless Calls Tijuana ‘One of the Great Food Cities of North America’
>>
>>7935229
there are many Mexican owned restaurants in Madrid and Barcelona
>>
>>7932682
how the fuck are you gonna wrap those things up with all that filling?
>>
>>7936232
it's meant to look pretty not be eaten
>>
>>7934174
Lol, just keep telling yourself that.
Thread posts: 66
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.