[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Let's discuss spinach: When preparing creamed or any other

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: spinach.jpg (536KB, 1080x675px) Image search: [Google]
spinach.jpg
536KB, 1080x675px
Let's discuss spinach:

When preparing creamed or any other type of cooked spinach (such as a palak dish) do you use fresh or frozen?
I have always used fresh but am beginning to think why not use frozen when i can get a brick for half the price of a giant bin that will cook down to nothing. I doubt texture will be much different but taste may. Also do you use baby spinach or buy a bunch of mature spinach for cooking

I use this recipe for creamed spinach:

Pour olive oil into bottom of a deep pot
Toss in spinach, cook and stir until wilted
Press against side of pot to release more liquid and boil that off
Throw in minced garlic and fry until fragrent
Put spinach back into pot, off the sides
Add flour and stir
Add cream to your desired amount, i want the cream to be that light green color
Salt and pepper to taste
>>
I just steam it. Better than boiling in taste and nutrition.

A bag of that Popeye brand spinach is like a buck fifty it's great
>>
>>7924215
Why not just eat it as a salad then? Do people actually boil it?
One of my favorite salads is spinach, a little parm cheese, and whatever veggies I have fresh. Mostly cucumber, tomato, green onion, and the occasional beet. Dressing is a 2.5:1 olive oil:lemon juice mix with S&P and a crushed clove of garlic allowed to soak in it.
>>
I buy frozen spinach for quesadillas all the time.

I can't tell the difference between fresh/frozen once it's cooked.
>>
>>7924203
frozen is inferior in taste and texture

Cooking baby spinach is a waste, its too expensive and too much work, while loosing all of its pro's during cooking.

Fresh spinach is not an expensive vegetable, if it is where you are shopping maybe look into another market.
>>
>cook meat in pan
>put cooked meat on plate and cover to let rest
>turn off heat and throw a hand full of spinach leaves in pan to sauté in remaining oil and soak up delicious flavours while deglazing the pan
Every time.
>>
>>7924203
>I doubt texture will be much different but taste may.

Uhm, I find it's the other way around. Taste is ok, but texture is so poor that I prefer the fresh one.
>>
>>7924441
What do you put in the quesadillas? (besides spinach)
>>
>>7924547
Just cheese and spinach usually. Chicken if I'm not feeling lazy.
>>
>>7924485
this is a good idea. for people who eat meat. would work especially well if you were using mushroom or red wine in that cook.
>>
I've never before purchased frozen spinach, but I do make a few dishes based on puréed spinach or spinach that has otherwise lost all of its former form, so I guess frozen would be fine for that.
As I've never had it, how does it compare, as far as taste is concerned, withi fresh spinach?
>>
>>7924203
>creamed spinach
wtf man
anyway, i'll eat fresh, frozen or canned. for some reason i like canned spinach the most. as soon as it starts to boil i turn it off.
>>
I never cook it.

I just wash it, maybe shock it and then eat.

Most times I've had it, I don't like the texture of cooked spinach and prefer the fresher taste.

Frozen, I dunno.
I run out of spinach, I go get more, fresh isn't expensive, I'm pretty poor and I eat fresh only.
>>
>>7924203
Frozen spinach is gross. My go to spinach preparation:

Put spinach in pan without oil (covered at the start, then uncovered when it's heated) on full heat.
Stir until desired level of wilt.
Drain water using a colander/sieve and wooden spoon.
Return to pan and stir in butter.

This is great on it's own but after plating you can put cheese on top, feta cheddar parm gorgonzola literally any cheese and it's fantastic
>>
>>7924203
Rinkle kindle
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.