[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How does /ck/ feel about "nutritionally complete" meal

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 5

File: Soylent_drink[1].jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
Soylent_drink[1].jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
How does /ck/ feel about "nutritionally complete" meal replacement mixes/shakes like Soylent and its competitors/derivatives?
>>
i'd do it for charity or a dare or something
>>
I used to use soylent so I wouldn't eat lunch out all the time - found it better to just bring a mason jar salad though.

It's fine, but boring.
>>
Seems healthy, easy and cheap so I don't see why I couldn't give it a try sometime.
>>
>>7922727
Seems like a good idea, but I still wonder how "nutritionally complete" it actually is.
>>
>>7922764
From what i looked at on the packages/websites it seems like it is pretty perfect nutritionally or at least enough that you can eat it for some weeks without problems if you eat a "real" meal every now and then. Haven't gotten around to buying yet but rn if you live in Europe I think "Nova" seems like the best brand since they add different flavours to the packages instead of having something that tastes like cardboard like soylent
>>
>>7922764

I guess it depends how much you trust the company. They claim to follow FDA guidelines and their nutrition facts show 25% daily values of everything the FDA recommends per 500 calorie serving. If the company is to be believed, it's just about as complete as it gets. They also say the FDA classifies Soylent as food rather than as a supplement, so they'd be in serious legal trouble if they lied about the contents and someone found out.
>>
I'm surprised by the positive responses. I was partly afraid this would be seen as a troll, but this is interesting.
>>
>>7922790
It's not about trust. I'm just not convinced that what we know is all there is to know.

"Phytonutrients" does sound like the biggest meme, but what if they turn out to be significant?

Just seems like a big gamble, and considering the price, I don't know if it would be worth it for many people.

If you hate eating, it could probably keep you alive I guess. People have survived on less and worse.
>>
Food is one of the greatest pleasures in life, which is why I come to food and cooking forums...
>>
>>7922727

tastes like nothing and gives you the shits if you use it too long

you need real food
>>
it's not food, but it's not supposed to be. it's for people who are broke and want this alternative rather than the same instant ramen every night for months. granted that you can eat nutricious, real delicious food for cheap if you don't act like an absolute fuckwit and blow half your salary on organic gluten-free probiotic antioxidant infused milk, soylent's probably going to flop.
>>
>>7922727
i think its pretty silly if you arent bedridden and can eat solids. too much soy leads to excess estrogen production, its not cheaper than regular food($231 to get 2000kcal for 30 days), it takes the social aspect out of food(something that is very beneficial to mental health), and there is no real variety in your diet so i can only imagine it get stale fast. if you dont care or dont want to think about your food go for it, youd probably like it.
>>
File: tmp_4712-Soylentgreen-281052969.gif (48KB, 340x306px) Image search: [Google]
tmp_4712-Soylentgreen-281052969.gif
48KB, 340x306px
>>
>>7922908
>it's for people who are broke and want this alternative rather than the same instant ramen every night for months.

At $216 per month to go 100% diet replacement with the powder (assuming 2000 calorie diet) it's really not all that cheap compared to real food, actually. You could eat much cheaper if that's your main goal.
>>
>>7922994
There's lots of DIY soylent that cuts the cost at least in half.
>>
I don't understand how a product whose name is associated with a dystopian science fiction story is so popular. It's like people are willfully stupid.
>>
I was considering getting the powder for work so I can have something in the morning that's easy. I'm too busy and too strapped for time to make something, but Soylent would be a great replacement for breakfast.
>>
>>7923016
It's almost as if the people who are likely to buy this product are likely to be familiar with dystopian science fiction.

They should offer them something unfamiliar and strange, like naming it after a rapper. That would be marketing that isn't self-defeating at all.
>>
>>7922743
>mason jar salad

recipe pls
>>
>>7922994

didn't really look into that too much, but i assumed soylent type powder would be cheap since otherwise there wouldn't really be a point to it. i guess it's for convenience but most people aren't busy enough to not be able to sit aside and enjoy a meal 3 times a day.
>>
>>7923039

I do that with the drink version currently. It's convenient enough my lazy non-morning-person ass can do it, and more healthy than skipping breakfast or grabbing pop tarts.
>>
>>7922727
This board is for food and cooking.
>>
>>7922727
Shocked that it's legal for them to peddle this "nutritionally complete" falsehood
>>
File: Bachelor_Chow_Bag.png (281KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Bachelor_Chow_Bag.png
281KB, 640x480px
>>7922994
Yeah, I'd get it if it was actually cost effective. I'm still wishing someone would just sell a big bag of bachelor chow.
>>
>>7923073
Just make your own.

>fry up a lot of ground beef
>fry up peppers and onions
>add in canned tomato sauce and canned tomato paste
>add in thyme, cayenne, paprika, whatever the fuck you think would be good

There you go.
>>
>>7923066

Care to elaborate?
>>
>>7923083
>Make your own

Sort of missing the point there.
>>
I really like the idea but they should change the ingredients
Needs multiple protein sources
Better carb source like oats/rice...
Needs multiple fat sources
Needs vegetable powders
Needs less sugar

They have significantly improved since the first version though
>>
>>7923128
>Needs less sugar

This is the biggest thing to me. I'm not convinced having multiple sources of protein is necessary as long as that source has the right variety of the necessary amino acids, and same with the fat source and variety of fatty acids, but there are a TON of carbs for no reason. It would be nice to have the carbs reduced by a lot.
>>
>>7923101
its called like, eating veggies and fruits as they are

maybe try a little
>>
>>7923128
>>7923143
People who don't sit on their fatfuck asses all day actually use carbs
>>
>>7923166

188g per day is excessive even for active people.
>>
...Josh, is that you?
>>
File: soylent.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
soylent.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>7922727
>>
god-tier: soylent-equivalent shakes for when time and energy are short, delicious time consuming cooking for pleasure

shit-tier: HURR DURR FOOD IS STUPID, FUN, PLEASURE, ENJOYMENT? WHATS THAT, I JUST NEED TO HIT MY MACROS AND MICROS.

retard ignorant tier: ITS NOT REAL FOOD! YOU'RE POISONING YOUR BODY WITH CHEMICALS!
>>
File: _straight_outta_whole_foods.jpg (997KB, 2800x2094px) Image search: [Google]
_straight_outta_whole_foods.jpg
997KB, 2800x2094px
I tried it for a month, using it to replace just under half my food intake per day. I felt a little more alert at first and I liked the convenience. after awhile it seemed to not really fill me up and I was eating almost the same amount of normal food as I was before. I started getting really drowsy after drinking it so I began to make smoothies for more energy with kale, fruit, chia, almond milk, and a little soylent. It wasn't helping much so I gave up and starting drinking coffee again literally today, already feel a little better.

Idk, try it and see if your body reacts differently, I kind of liked it at first.
>>
>>7923314
Did you quit drinking coffee around the time you started soylent?
>>
>>7923343
>>7923343
I started slowly weaning myself off coffee at least a few weeks before starting soylent. I sometimes had a shot of espresso in the morning before drinking soylent, that's about it. I may have been drowsy because my body was detoxing? idk
>>
>>7923314
>I gave up and starting drinking coffee again

So you don't think giving up coffee (read: daily caffeine) had anything to do with feeling drowsy? That seems like the most likely cause to me.
>>
>>7923373
see >>7923368
I go through phrases with coffee, usually if I slowly quit it's not so bad. the drowsiness became much worse towards the end of the soylent month well after quitting coffee. I get headaches with caffeine withdrawal as well and that wasn't happening.
>>
>>7923368
It's possible you were going through a weak caffeine withdrawal or something, but I wouldn't go quick to blaming the soylent just yet

t. not a doctor
>>
>>7922727
They're okay if you are in a rush, a good portion of the price is a convenience fee.

But if you want sit down meals, you can easily get much cheaper and better tasting foods with the same calories.
>>
>>7923437
>you can easily get much cheaper and better tasting foods with the same calories.

But will they also have 100% recommended daily amounts of all recommended vitamins and minerals?
>>
>>7922727
Just got a 12 pack of the stuff, since I had a 50% off referral. I've noticed lately that I'll sometimes go a day without eating out of sheer laziness, so hopefully this will help with that.
For any of the people who have tried it, how is the taste? Is there anything that you added to it to make the taste better?
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.