[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm a lazy fucker and have oats intolerance. What are some

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3

File: oats-in-wooden-spoon.jpg (53KB, 550x339px) Image search: [Google]
oats-in-wooden-spoon.jpg
53KB, 550x339px
I'm a lazy fucker and have oats intolerance. What are some cheap carbs that don't have to be cooked, don't contain sodium and aren't oats? Something I can just dump onto my other food.
>>
sugar
>>
>>7921975
I don't believe you.
>>
You can't just dump it, but burghul/blé/cracked wheatcorn is pretty close to what you're looking for. Just soak it in boiling water a short bit first. It's usually around $1.99/lb. Oat is usually half the price and instant rice (which requires at least five minutes of preparation) can be around $1.35/lb, but wheatcorn is whole grain and has higher protein than instant rice.
>>
>>7921986
Thanks for the suggestion, I am looking for something starchy though, should have said that in the OP. I am already using tomato sauce, applesauce, fruits and other natural sugars liberally, but the sweetness gets pretty stale at some point.
>>
>>7921997
why do you need carbohydrates so much?
>>
>>7921975
Wheat germ

Also, how the fuck are you oats intolerant? Fucking millennials
>>
>>7921975
How about just about every vegetable in the world, doofus?
>>
File: masa.jpg (277KB, 1184x1600px) Image search: [Google]
masa.jpg
277KB, 1184x1600px
>>7921975
Instant masa. You can just throw it in your smoothies or whatever.
>>
>>7922003
Carbs are fuel

>>7922009
I got some wheat germ here but I noticed it is so high in manganese that it could lead to poisoning when used as a source of carbs

>>7922016
Alright this is kind of like mashed potatoes, thanks for the suggestion. I am also looking for something that can be chewed

>>7921995
Alright another problem is it's summer, so I don't want to eat cooked food because it's too warm. Right now I am addicted to canned peas but kind of expensive and full of salt

>>7922011
Lack of calories
>>
>>7922061
>Right now I am addicted to canned peas

So why not buy fresh for frozen peas and then boil them yourself in less salty water. Then let them cool down before eating them?
>>
>>7922061
>it's summer, so I don't want to eat cooked food because it's too warm

oat intolerance my ass, you're just another picky fucking eater like the rest

sage for autists trying to demonstrate their supertaster 'abilities'
>>
cyanide
>>
>>7922066
Because I'm lazy and disorganized, and peas are expensive per calorie

>>7922075
>>7921989
I get shortness of breath 6 hours after exposure to oats on single-blind test. It's not like I'm dying but there is an article on oat intolerance on Wikipedia so I figure it's a real thing.
>>
>>7922094
>Because I'm lazy and disorganized,

Well, you're clearly not worth helping then. Good luck.
>>
That's pretty tough man, oats are a great staple.

What is a reasonable daily cost of food for you?
>>
are you overweight or underweight, op?
>>
>>7922097
I am sorry

I cook legumes every now and then, but it's not something I can do daily or regularly. Cooking peas and then letting them cool would take like 2 hours

>>7922123
I try to stay under 5 bucks... Most of that actually goes towards vegetables since I try to get carbs for under 0.50/1000 calories, nuts and seeds 1.00/1000 calories, then 2 pounds of vegetables for 1-2 bucks, leave some room for the occasional fish

>>7922133
I am underweight, why?
>>
>>7922210
>Cooking peas and then letting them cool would take like 2 hours

You've got to be shitting me.
T0: put pot of water on the stove, turn heat to max. While you're waiting for the water to get hot, make an ice bath by putting a bunch of ice cubes & cold water into a bowl or pot. If using frozen peas, thaw them in a sieve or colander under running water.
T: 5 minutes. Water is now boiling. Drop your peas in.
T: 8 minutes. Peas are now done. Drain peas through a sieve or colander, quick rinse with cold water in the tap, then stick 'em in the ice bath.

Done in less than 10 minutes.
>>
>>7922210
>Cooking peas and then letting them cool would take like 2 hours
We're not talking dried split peas here. Freezer section. Just put them in a bowl with a pat of butter, microwave them until they're warm, and then put a little salt and pepper on them. Like five minutes tops.
>>
>>7922061
Cracked wheatcorns don't even need to be cooked, really, just soaked in hot water. It's like brewing tea.
Heat some water in the nukebox; meanwhile, half-fill a container with cracked wheatcorns.
Pour water over the wheatcorns to cover, then let them sit until swollen considerably.
Drain, if desired, and you're good to go.
From that point, you can use them in lots of places. They've a natural sweetness to them and are nice in smoothies, if that's your twist.
You can eat them cold with milk and a little sugar, like breakfast cereal.
Speaking of cereal, if you want, you could roll them flat and bake them to a crisp to make wheat flakes. Kinda like corn flakes, only wheat. Pretty delicious, IMO.
They're great as a base for grain salads.
They're good as an addition to soups.
They're just nice in general.
>>
>>7922219
You don't need to thaw frozen peas. You can also do that all in the microwave in 3-4 minutes.
>>
>>7922219
I'm talking about mature peas though. Green peas are too expensive. They cost about 3-4 times more per calorie than dry peas or other dried legumes, since they're full of water
If I had a pressure cooker, we'd be talking.

>>7922220
>>7922250
I don't own a microwave unfortunately. It would make things a lot easier

>>7922238
I just cooked some couscous while this thread is going and it's pretty good for lazy people like me. Although it was still hot food, which is a problem
I guess another problem is that I have to use a bowl which I then need to wash. Maybe I should switch to plastic or paper bowls, although this would introduce additional expenses
>>
>>7922285
troll thread confirmed
>>
>>7922293
How is it a troll thread?
>>
>>7922250

Yes, I know you could nuke them straight from frozen. But that doesn't taste as good as what I suggested.

They will have a better texture and more pleasant color if you cook them as quickly as possible and then chill them the moment you're done. You don't want them to warm up slowly, you want them to go up to cooking temp ASAP. That's the purpose of dropping room-temp peas into a large pot of boiling water.

Ideally, one would drop them into very large pot containing a boiling emulsion of 50/50 butter and water, but that's not very cost effective for a home cook so I didn't suggest that method.

But sure, if you don't care that much just nuke 'em.
>>
>>7922300
>i want food!!!
>but i have an incredibly unlikely allergy!!!
>and the food has to be able to be eaten without getting any cooking equipment dirty!!!
>and it has to be a grain or legume!!!
>and it can't get hot while i prepare it!!!
>and everything else anyone else will suggest will have a problem with it!!!
>and i have no friends and nobody loves me!!!
>but i'm, like, totally not trolling, y00 gaiz!!! :^)
>>
>>7922285
Can you afford canned beans?
>>
>>7922320
No. They're too expensive and have too much salt. And I don't have a can opener, anyway. I've already destroyed most of my teeth opening cans of peas.
>>
>>7922320
No, if you've ever calculated the cost per calorie for canned beans, you know they are spectacularly expensive. Dry beans are OK price-wise, but they take a long time to cook without a pressure cooker.

>>7922325
This too
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.