[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Poor as hell college fag here, what does /ck/ recommend for cheap

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: empty-wallet.jpg (44KB, 600x375px) Image search: [Google]
empty-wallet.jpg
44KB, 600x375px
Poor as hell college fag here, what does /ck/ recommend for cheap food I can make for myself that isn't cancer inducing like raman and hotpockets?
>>
Get a frozen pizza base and add fresh tomatoes, black olives, and anchovies.

Basically Soylent tier when it comes to nutrition, but actually palatable and delicious, and best of all, cheap and easy.
>>
>>7920055
Latino cuisine. Pick one or two cultures to explore and make food like a spanish abuela, one recipe at at time. Freeze leftovers for when you're in the mood for the same thing later. Shop at their markets. Tomatoes, peppers, onions, garlic. Rice, beans, masarepa, tortillas. Buy meat in value packs, 8 breasts, 15 pork chops, whole roasts you cut up, that kind of thing should save money per pound.

Start with picadillo, side of plantains, side of white rice. Put your leftovers in piecrusts, bake em. Freeze. Instant hot pockets.
>>
>>7920063
Good idea, I appreciate it.
>>
>>7920075
Awesome, thank you
>>
>>7920055
Buy a 5-10 lb sack of potatoes. Roasting potatoes is easy as fuark, just wash, coat in salt and oil, roast at 425F for 40 mins - 1 hr depending on how large the potato is. If you want protein, buy a bulk pack of boneless skinless chicken breasts. You can season and bake or season and pan fry (or grill if you have the option).
>>
Tube steak and man gravy
>>
>>7920055
Corned beef hash!
I lived on that shit at uni while everyone else ate cancer noodles.
If you're doing it basic all you need is a big potato, half an onion and a small can of corned beef.
Cut the spud into half inch cubes and boil for 15 minutes while you're frying the onion. Cube the corned beef and throw everything in the pan with the onions and mix it. Press it down with a spatula and let it fry for 5-10 minutes. Top with salt and pepper stolen from the nearest cafeteria/fast food joint.
If you're feling fancy, top it with a fried egg and/or some beans.
>>
Rice Beans Eggs Tomatoes. These are your staples now OP Gl Hf
>>
>>7920075
>Golden answer.

I didn't realised it up until a while back, but Latino cusine is affordable and delicious. It can also be nutritious if your diet consist of rice, beans, and chicken.

Obviously eating vegetables and other things is important but i think rice, beans, and chicken supply the nutrients a human body needs without giving harmful effects.
Really glad i grew up eating most of these things.
>>
Soup and chili are usually cheap things to make that cast last for a long time. I also like bacon and egg sandwiches for a quick easy meal.

>>7920088
This too, potatoes are versatile and cheap.
>>
Stock up all you can. Beans, chickpeas, chopped tomatoes, tuna, tomatopaste etc
But tons of different ground spices and bouillon cubes.
Rice, pasta, noodles, eggnoodles,
>>
>>7920166
>Latino cusine is affordable and delicious.
indeed.

As another anon said, bags of potatoes? Bags of anything bulk buying, is where you really save money, whether apples, oranges, onions, potatoes. Nuking a baked potato, topping with butter, sour cream, sprinkle of mrs dash or lipton onion soup mix, or snipping from chives from a windowsill plant can be kicked up a notch with a single strip of microwave bacon, grate or two of cheese. You're talking $10 of groceries if smart, for 10-15 meals. Vary it with toppings, a few broccoli spears on there, a spoonful of salsa and some stir fry peppers and pork strips. Bags of frozen vegetable blends, the big bags, are a discount over fresh at times. Consider BOGOs there too. Steaming some peas, boiling some egg noodles, spoonful of butter or sour cream over all, and sauteeing some cheap cut of cubed steak with seasoned flour. Gourmet dude. Again, probably 4 meals for $10.

Know the "loss leader" items in your town. For me, CVS is where you get gallons of milk about $2-3 less than than Publix. There will be one sale meat that is worth stocking up on. It might be when they run the ham on sale at Easter, or turkey breasts soon for Thanksgiving. Bake one of those and get amazing dinner and sandwiches and leftovers too. Wal-mart grocery near me marks the rotisseries and hot deli meat half price at 8PM. Walk in there and get a whole roasted bird for $2, or my favorite $1.50 for a roasted pork tenderloin that is probably 3 meals of generous slices. Add the $1 per loaf of bread deal they have, and with pickles and swiss, you have 4-5 cuban sandwiches toasted like grilled cheese. Make 15 bean soup when you have leftover pork or a ham hock, and nuke a cup of it out of your freezer to serve alongside some toast or grilled cheese. Geez, those bags of beans makes about 12 servings. Thinking of that, cooking your own beans at $1 bag is way better than $1/can.
>>
>>7920055

I recommend this video series on the subject: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiSg6lwIItU&list=PLt_lOWx8jR_NwpE8U6humD_bKB0QxDTo4
>>
>put pasta in a cereal bowl
>fill up with water
>microwave for 12-14 minutes
>strain water with a dirty plate someone left in the sink (helps wash it)
>add tomato sauce and most of a can of tuna

this was a staple when the oven broke at my uni halls, cheap and easy and good.
>>
When people say beans, I can never tell which kind they mean. The only kind I can think of when they say beans is pic related
>>
>>7922530
Any dry bean you find can be made delicious. The large brands stuff their shit with too much sugar for it to be nutritious. Try a southern pinto recipe, anything mexican with black beans, red beans and rice, braised white beans.
>>
>>7922530

Well, given that the context is usually about frugal eating a simple price comparison ought to make it clear that they mean that kind of bean rather than green beans.

Of course, buying them dry is much cheaper than canned.
>>
>>7920088
Note- it's actually pretty easy to fuck up roasting potatoes if you just throw some potatoes in the oven. Look up an actual recipe and follow it or you'll end up with shitty food you don't want.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.