[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

guys, my neighborhood i've lived in for the past 12 years

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 315
Thread images: 17

File: hipster1.jpg (80KB, 650x650px) Image search: [Google]
hipster1.jpg
80KB, 650x650px
guys, my neighborhood i've lived in for the past 12 years is gentrifying hard

i'm not poor so it's not such a big deal to me but something i've noticed is that the more restaurants open up around me the shittier the quality gets

i went to this hipster "brgr" joint last week (no vowels is cool, right guise?) and literally nothing was good. the fried chicen was overcooked, the salad was bland, the fries were dry

fucking garbage

all the good restaurants are gone or """upgraded"""

my favorite pho place """upgraded""" and i went there once and the pho $4 more and was fucking COLD

is this normal? i know hipster condo dwellers are lame but do they really like cold pho and bland food??
>>
>>7917570
i'm not american and i know what gentrifying means
>>
File: garbage_cc.jpg (180KB, 1367x1692px) Image search: [Google]
garbage_cc.jpg
180KB, 1367x1692px
>>7917570
>americans
>>
Are you upset that they don't stock Irn Bru there, Angus?
>>
You sound like the type who deserves to get displaced by gentrification.
>>
>>7917570
His usage was perfectly fine you fat clappy fuck
>>
>>7917606
White people chain stores getting replaced by other white people chain stores = gentrification

Learn something new every day
>>
>>7917624
idiot
>>
>>7917631
No u
>>
>>7917632
Look if you didn't understand OPs post that's fine, but just stop posting
>>
>>7917570
>>7917624
Where are you getting this idea that any of the places OP mentioned are chains?
Do you routinely imagine people saying/writing things they never said/wrote then have paranoid delusions about these things they never said/wrote and rage ineffectually at them or is this a one time thing?
I mean... that seems to be exactly what you're doing here.

Are you a conspiracy theorist? Does the leaky tap send you secret messages in Morse code, too?
>>
>>7917641
It looks like you're the only one confused here
If you don't live in the city you should refrain from trying to use words you don't understand about neighborhoods you've never heard of
>>
>>7917660
Because it is a chain. See >>7917664
>>
>>7917666
No one said it was a chain
>>
>>7917560
My experience is that the early moments of gentrification in a neighborhood are kinda exciting. The first couple good coffee shops appear, and suddenly you can find good wine. But once things get going you end up with pricey bars, restaurants and grocery stores that sell image more than quality, and the new people moving in tend to be awful entitled rich kids. By then the good high end restaurants start popping up, and the neighborhood becomes a dining destination (and loses most of its most of its "livability").

That's when I get out, and I've been through this several times. I left Williamsburg in 1999, the East Village in 2005 and the LES in 2012. Fortunately I bought on the LES, which funded my move to South Brooklyn, where the first cute coffee shops appeared over the last year. My place has doubled in value, and none of the good cheap places have closed yet. No fine dining options yet - I still go back to the EV and LES when I want to drop some serious dough on a nice meal out.

>>7917570
As soon as I read "brgr" and pho I immediately thought UWS, which has hardly gentrified - that hood has been rich as fuck for ages.
>>
>>7917664
>>7917570
>>7917624
>reacts oddly in conversations
>frequently misinterprets situations as being strange or having unusual meaning
>attentional impairment
>imagines conversational points and argues against them rather than engaging in the conversation as it is

Schizotypal disorder confirmed.

It's frightening to think that 5% of Americans have this problem and that they all seem to post to 4chan.
Unless you're Angry Philip-Morris Guy. In which case: howdy-do, APMG! How's the no wife and no kids because you're an insufferable twat who no one will ever love? Good? Cool.
>>
>>7917670
No one had to, I've been there, it is a chain
Did you eat too many lead paint chips as a kid or something? I mean seriously what the fuck is your defect?
>>
>>7917670
brgr IS a mini chain in NYC, tho.
>>
>>7917679
I'm not APMPG, but I am the guy who gave him that name. Are you seriously trying to argue that brgr is not a chain?
>>
op here

i'm not talking about chains

i'm not american as i said before
>>
>>7917680
>>7917683
Someone should tell all the other places in the world, of which there are at least a dozen, that share the same name.
Because, of course, no city in the world could possibly be home to a place called Brgr AND a pho place, too! That's just imfuckingpossible!!!
Pittsburgh, Glasgow and Perth don't exist!
>>
>>7917689
>I'm from flyoverania.
No one fucking cares about cuck land.
>>
>>7917688
No, I'm trying to tell you that just because there are several places named that wherever the fuck you live doesn't mean there aren't a kazillion other places with the same name in several other places in the world with absolutely no connection to the ones you know about.

Here's another example: The Cakery. There are places by this name in St Louis, MO, in Hong Kong, in Dayton, OH, in Southlake, TX, in Portland, OR and Denver, CO, among many, many, MANY others. And guess what? They're not connected and aren't part of a chain!
Imagine that!

And none of the China Houses in all of the US are a chain, either. The more you know.
>>
>>7917606
Uh no it wasn't. You obviously know piss all about NYC.

Brgr is an all right chain - their shakes are the best thing on the menu.

OP, meanwhile, is a faggot that probably moved to NYC 10 minutes ago, and wants to shit on the people who moved here 8 minutes ago. It's a sad type here.
>>
>>7917712
>>7917706
>>7917700
>maximumdamagecontrol.exe initiated
>>
>>7917672

Which part of South Brooklyn? Just left "Ditmas" (fucking Flatbush), which is gentrifying, but not worth the trouble. In BedStuy now, and it's perfect, but will be likely pushed out in 2-3 years.
>>
>>7917700
>>7917706
>>7917712

>samefagging this hard

no one cares that you live in new york
>>
>>7917707

brgr is a NYC chain, you fucking lepton. There's3 locations.
>>
>>7917725

And many other places too. brgr is not limited to NYC. There are many restaurants called that all over the place.
>>
>>7917720

Try again faggot. You need a hugbox or something?
>>
>>7917694
Those three cities together don't equal half the population of NYC. If your little restaurant someplace else shares the same name as a NYC chain most folks will think NYC when the hear it. FFS, you could open a hot dog joint in Melbourne and call it Papaya King. That won't change the fact that most folks who recognize the name will immediately associate it with NYC.
>>
being 19 right now trying to find a mentor chef is impossible. just got my red seal level 1 and have over 2100 hours as a line cook yet even after 2 unpaid months of stages and endless interviews, i cant find kitchen based around simple passion.

Im done fucking working with hipsters who dont even comprehend food safe. your fucking beard and glasses dont make you some artistic prodigy chef. im worried about being stuck peeling potatoes for 5-10 years til im actually fucking cooking and creating.
>>
>>7917718
>Scottie! I need more power! maximumdamagecontrol is failing!
>ah k'nae give ya more power, tha's all there is, sir!
>>
>>7917728

HERP DERP.

wut is a trademark?
wut is a copyright?

http://www.brgr.com/

Just let it go. I know it's hard for your autistic ass, but let it go before it gets worse.
>>
>>7917731
>most folks who recognize the name will immediately associate it with NYC

Yes. But so what? What bearing does that have on anything?
>>
>>7917733
>19, line cook, want to "create"
Good luck with that.
>>
>>7917737
>wut is a trademark?
>wut is a copyright?

Totally irrelevant to the thread? That doesn't stop there being other places name brgr elsewhere in the world.
>>
>>7917739

Lena Durham lives in the same neighborhood as me. I leave Williamsburg, she follows. I leave Greenpoint, she follows.

I just wish Karen O was still around . . . .
>>
File: s.jpg (15KB, 621x569px) Image search: [Google]
s.jpg
15KB, 621x569px
>Living in NYC
>Not upstate
>>
>>7917738
"brgr" will have that kind of name recognition, regardless of whether other places in other cities have a place with the same name. The simple act of being in NYC puts you on a bigger stage.
>>
>>7917748

Aaron, is that you?

Everyone in NYC is a whore. That's part of the fucking joy of it.
>>
>>7917750
Only if you consider Hudson Valley upstate.
>>
File: hahano.jpg (54KB, 562x437px) Image search: [Google]
hahano.jpg
54KB, 562x437px
>>7917750

I mean, Hudson's OK for a day or two. But there's no comparison, farmboy.
>>
File: 1467796669762.png (2MB, 1362x1350px) Image search: [Google]
1467796669762.png
2MB, 1362x1350px
>>7917750
>living in new york at all
>>
>>7917756
>>7917761
I'd consider it anything north of Newburgh, or starting in Dutchess/Ulster.
>>
File: flyover.jpg (84KB, 865x222px) Image search: [Google]
flyover.jpg
84KB, 865x222px
>>7917765

"That's what the middle of the country is for, people who gave up on their dreams"
>>
>>7917776
>implying I live in the Midwest
>>
>>7917689
Shut up. You're an American and you will be everyday until you like it.
>>
>>7917763
I live in Maryland, but my family is in the nice areas of Rochester/Syracuse. Also have a few cousins living in the Hudson Valley
>>
>>7917786

Oh, are you in LA, or some suburb of San Jose?

Don't worry, you'll get a real city one of these days.
>>
>>7917560
Hipsters like that are absolute garbage. Politics and everything.
>>
>>7917793

I've spent time in both Rochester and Syracuse. "Nice" is a funny way to say "upscale strip malls".
>>
>>7917796
Wilmington NC actually. I'd rather shoot myself than live in LA.
>>
>>7917765
You have no fucking idea. Particularly when it comes to food this place is a giant playground. Want world class fine dining? Take your pick of almost 100 places that qualify. Want amazing cheap eats? Delicious fresh stuff is available for what the rest of the country pays for fast food. Like to cook? Pretty much anything you'd want is available here, and if you know where to shop a lot of it is cheap as fuck. I'm shocked when I go into a supermarket in Anytown, USA and see the prices people pay for poor quality (and variety) food.

If you can manage to set yourself up where rent/mortgage isn't eating you alive here the rest is fucking gravy.
>>
>>7917816
I'll admit that does sound great. But i doubt I could find a decent place that is affordable, plus I don't think I could adjust to life in a huge city.
>>
>>7917844
>i doubt I could find a decent place that is affordable
That's the secret right there. You'd pay a lot to live in a not yet cool neighborhood, then sit and watch the tide come in if you chose well. I've been doing it for 20 years, and it required three moves. Currently sitting in Sunset Park, which a real estate trade magazine just named the coolest neighborhood in the USA. (From a real estate perspective, mind you). The tide is coming in, but I bought CHEAP, so I'm set.
>>
>>7917806

That's flyover country, and the middle. Stop quibbling about details.
>>
>>7917796
How's it feel to know this
http://ediblebajaarizona.com/tucson-designated-unesco-world-city-of-gastronomy
Hint, it's the first and only one in America
>>
>>7917560

>cold Pho

Oh, anon. I'm so sorry.

Listen, it's a fad.

OK. You know how everyone talks about the nineties like they were such a great era and all? I mean it was, but there was a dark shadow, the restaurant scene. It was eclipsing local restaurants and the old ones had to change or be more like them. For the general populace a franchise restaurant with fake nostalgia screwed into the walls offering bland food was it, now we have fake sophistication offering bland food. Before it's was the same dishes with new goofy names only bigger than you've ever seen, now it's impractical and unsolicited changes in ingredients and presentation served by a man in a handle bar mustache who carries a kerosene lamp at all times.

It'll pass.

I hate these stupid brunches too. There's a brunch fad again where I live.
>>
>>7917875

AHAHAHAHAHAHA You're fucking kidding me, right? TUCSON? You can't even compete with Chandler for food.

I mean, El Charro is great. Other than that, you guys have to pretend you invented the chimichanga even to get noticed on a regional scale.
>>
>>7917902
>brunch fad
Oh yeah? How's the weather in 2003, Anon? Just wait until you hear who your next president's gonna be after Bushiepoo. Whoa-howdy, it's gonna be a real shocker to ya.
>>
>>7917922

>implying Obama didn't get 100% of the brunch vote
>>
>>7917913
Ignore him, retard didn't even read the article properly.
>>
>>7917718
I can smell your stench in every thread you post in, you passive-aggressive fuck.
>>
>>7917922

You missed that "again", anon?
>>
>>7917744
BedStuy is gonna be over soon, and you sure as fuck don't want to land in East New York, unless you have the money for real estate speculation.

If I were you I'd try to get ahead of the curve next move, hopefully buying a place. Both Bay Ridge and Bensonhurst have been slowly appreciating (many who grew up there say they're over), but they're still about five years from properly catching fire. You can still find great deals there, then sit back and watch things slowly start changing. Bay Ridge is cool as fuck, and the last affordable bits of it are being snatched up as type this. Now would be the time to jump if you felt so inclined. Otherwise your next move will be deep into Crown Heights.
>>
>>7917672
Just curious, what was East Village like pre-2005? I lived there last year and can't seem to get the image whenever some one tries to describe it to me
>>
>>7918003

I love BedStuy, and don't really like South Brooklyn myself. I'm thinking the bubble might burst soon, and I'll be able to pick up a building with some friends and not get priced out anymore. I tend to use stocks more for speculation, housing to me is something I'll buy as little of as needed.

Having dated someone in Bensonhurst I'm really not a fan of it - plus my job is in Midtown and that commute is bad enough to make Jerz look good by comparison.
>>
>>7918011

Like Williamsburg in 2009, or Bushwick in 2014.
>>
>>7918044
Understand completely. South Bklyn is severely lacking in nightlife, making it deeply unattractive to single young people. But that makes it very attractive to the kind of young families looking for a place to buy. These are the people who caused Park Slope to become the disgusting but upscale place it's become.

I'm neither single, nor young so I don't give a fuck about nightlife. I'm a food nerd, and this place is just a step short of Queens on that front. Also I like the idea of living in a place I got for cheap that I'll be able to unload for double or triple what I paid for it if/when the neighborhood starts turning into Park Slope. Fuck, if that happened tomorrow I'd almost double my investment.
>>
File: 1371396602139.gif (1MB, 240x180px) Image search: [Google]
1371396602139.gif
1MB, 240x180px
>>7917957
http://tucson.com/entertainment/dining/city-of-gastronomy-honor-is-about-more-than-food/article_06a33038-a512-5fae-a2b6-949702d983d6.html
>>
>>7917560
>i went to this hipster "brgr" joint last week (no vowels is cool, right guise?) and literally nothing was good. the fried chicen was overcooked,
OP goes to burger restaurant and orders fried chicken. Never heard the phrase "when in rome" dude?

And, I'm sorry, if I was served cold soup, I'd send it back. To even get cold pho seems impossible, or how else does the raw meat get cooked? I'm going to suggest you have growing pains, a neighborhood with investment but without the trained service staff in the local workforce, as yet.
>>
>>7918147
>you can walk for blocks and blocks and never see a single street-level business.
That seriously depends on which blocks you live near. I'm in the 40's between the Latino strip on 5th and the Chinatown on 8th. The streets are all residential, but there's tons of street level stuff going down on the avenues. 5th is full on from 38th all the way into Bay Ridge, and 8th is the biggest Chinatown in NYC from about 42nd to past 60th.

I have a car, but pretty much only use it to get out of town.
>>
>>7918103

Like I said, I see the bubble bursting soon. They already overbuilt for the rich, and the condos everywhere are coming online and stopping the insane rent increase. When that happens, I don't think you'll continue to see massive growth in further areas, since you won't have as many people being driven out due to rent increases. Just my opinion, of course.

I was basically married while living in South Brooklyn, so didn't mind that. But all my close friends are either annoying Greenpoint marrieds, or single people, so didn't like being a $50 cab ride away. That eats into rent savings quick.
>>
>>7917560
>guys, my neighborhood i've lived in for the past 12 years is gentrifying hard

congratulations
>>
>>7918119

Look up where brgr is, that's not the case here.
>>
God damn Yankees.
>>
>>7917902
I'm 28 and I've never been to a brunch but I've always wanted to until 11am hits and I'd rather just sit around and do nothing until brunch ends.

I love the theory though, just could never be assed to go to one.
>>
>>7918119
>OP goes to burger restaurant and orders fried chicken. Never heard the phrase "when in rome" dude?

Welcome to New York. Next week he'll review their vegan wraps while bitching about ventrification
>>
>>7918381
I owned during the last bubble. Know what happened? The market went flat, not down. Then people swept in to profit off foreclosures, and a new bubble began with white kids buying the foreclosures in formerly black neighborhoods.

I could see crappy new condos in places like Williamsburg losing their value, because those were built on speculation. Housing stock in increasingly popular middle class neighborhoods with limited stock to begin with? Not gonna lose any value no matter how big a bubble bursts.
>>
>>7917570
Ditmas Park and Kensington are "gentrifying" neighborhoods
>>
>>7917560
The worst part about any neighborhood getting gentrified is that all of the restaurateurs figure out that they can double prices, make shitty food, and make a ton more money if they simply update their decor to modern-hipster-chic w/ dim lights
>>
>>7917717
Ditmas Park is a hell of a lot different from the rest of Flatbush
>>
>>7917717
what's next, Mott Haven?
>>
>>7917761
upstate is everything North of Orange County

only low brow retards call Westchester upstate
>>
>>7918503
Do you like in the trailer park next to the Goethals Bridge?
>>
>>7918509
*live

dangit
>>
>>7918471
New York doesn't do everything the best ever like the people there think. Sure it has everything, but it's like trying to find a great jewish deli or seafood place in Chicago, they just suck ass at mexican, vietnamese and thai food.
>>
>>7918529
I don't even live upstate, you Staten Island hick faggot
>>
>>7918528
the Mexican food is pretty good these days, the Southeast Asian food I've had was good but not very authentic (owners were either Chinese or hipsters)
>>
>>7918540
No faggot, I live in Brooklyn

I'm guessing you're a pretentious retard who lives in SoHo in an apartment paid for by your parents
>>
>>7918542
He probably lives on the UES because that's where all his frat boy buddies live, and it was all he could afford.
>>
>>7917776
this
go to college in Indiana. from washington. place is place for shitty people to come have children and feel good about doing nothing with their lives
>>
>>7918555
The only part of white Manhattan he could afford, at least
>>
>>7918533
Chinese people are the worst to cook Southeastern Asian food. However Thai chefs seem to treat Chinese food pretty well, albeit quite restrained in comparison to the standard American-Chinese fare. It amazes me how much better every single Thai restaurant is at Crab Rangoon. Never really cared for thai fried rice though, way too little of everything.
>>
>>7918562
Living in East Harlem with 5 roommates for a 3000 per month 2 bedroom
>>
>>7918570
The cooks were probably Mexican at the places I went to. Both restaurants had really good food but were fusiony and not traditional. Well one place was definitely fusiony, I'm not sure about the other.
>>
>>7918578
post a selfie with your roommates wearing their fixies and riding 60 dollar tank tops.
>>
>>7918578
meant for

>>7918564
>>
>>7918581
It's weird how a place with 99% mexican cooks can suck so bad at mexican food.
>>
>>7918592
It doesn't suck, it's just a little repetitive at worst, and overall it revolves around antojitos.

But I've heard really good things about La Morada.
>>
>>7918593
I'll admit, that made me laugh

It's funny you mention that though, I've actually been in the Jacob Riis houses on a 1 night stand. I'm guessing you live in the East Village since you made that reference.

And the trailer park I mentioned, IIRC that area looks more like New Jersey or Suffolk County than it does NYC.
>>
>>7918570
Crab Rangoon is not an Asian dish. It is American.
>>
>>7917560
dont worry, its just a lot of people who dont know how to handle their money having fun with it. 4 years from now you'll have much, much, much worse things to worry about than gentrification.

in fact you'll kinda miss this period. try hard to enjoy it.
>>
It's crazy how expensive NYC is, it's at least 1100 per month to get a 1BR in the ghettoest neighborhoods
>>
>>7918627
Yeah that must suck, defeats the purpose of living in NYC.

It's not even that cheap to live in that trailer park.
>>
>>7918619
I bought a 1BR co-op a few years ago in Bklyn for under $200k. My monthly housing costs are well under $1100. If you don't like the cost of rent you gotta buy.
>>
>>7917560
a similar place opened up near me, it seemed okay but pretty expensive for a burger. they had milkshakes that were $6 and all i could think of was pulp fiction and the $5 shake scene.

i pretty much stick with old-fashioned italian restaurants, and indian/chinese buffets now. some of them can be overpriced and too upscale while ignoring the food, but if you find a good one you'll always want to go back.

i just get a burger from wendy's or mcdonald's if i really want one. the places near me actually serve them hot and fresh so they're not too bad.

i've noticed only people who care more about socializing go to places like you mentioned, and care less about the food.
>>
>>7918641
I agree, but getting a loan can be diffiicult for many people. Once I get a real job, I'm planning on living with my grandmother for a few years and saving up for a down payment on property of some sort, maybe a house in The Bronx.

And co-ops kind of defeat the purpose of buying since you have to pay a mini-rent every month.
>>
http://www.silive.com/entertainment/index.ssf/2015/11/post_60.html

This is the Staten Island trailer park, only trailer park in all of NYC

There's a neat little neighborhood in The Bronx called Harding Park, it's not trailers but cute little bungalows, I want to check that out one day. It's cool seeing the "off the beaten path" stuff in NYC.
>>
>tfw no big booty Nuyorican gf
>>
File: 1180290988728.jpg (50KB, 495x450px) Image search: [Google]
1180290988728.jpg
50KB, 495x450px
>it's teh mutual mast-urbation bros
>>
>>7918469

NYC's bubble wasn't fueled by speculation driven by cheap loans last time though, like the sand states. You saw the condos go flat because credit froze nationally, but the value was still there.

The value was there because NYC has had historic low vacancy rates for decades. However once you get enough housing built to change that the situation alters very rapidly.

I don't think you'll see a big pop, btw, just a quick dip followed by slow recovery as the most leveraged shake out. But I'd much rather buy in that dip myself. Prices right now are too high for the average person to afford, and that means long term it is a bubble.
>>
>>7918493

Oh, I know. They now call west Flatbush "Ditmas" in realtor speak as well though, even if you're 3 blocks from the Victorians.
>>
>>7918654
>mini-rent every month.
If your co-op dopesn't gouge you that pretty much covers taxes, heat, water and maintenance on the building. My mortgage plus that "mini-rent" is still under a grand a month.

My point is this shit is still possible in NYC if you're willing to do the leg work to find it.
>>
>>7918592

Most are here to work, not live. They're sending money home, living in dorms, so they don't spend lots on food, and don't drive too much of a market for Mexican food.

It's changing, but slowly.
>>
>>7918822
So is Ditmas the area that's neither Victorian Flatbush or the heavily black/West Indian part of Flatbush ? And is it a made up term?

>>7918829
Oh I agree. You also have to be okay with living in a non-trendy neighborhood, which I don't know why anyone would have a problem with unless they were racist or elitist.

>>7918835
Well I don't know if I entirely agree that they're not here to live, their kids are having kids already.

Mexicans are all over the city now as you know, and there were hardly any in 1990. Was it weird seeing them pop up at first since NYC's Hispanic population was heavily Puerto Rican and Dominican?
>>
>>7918894

"Victorian Flatbush" is now being called Ditmas, as is stuff all the way up to Flatbush ave. Which isn't at all the real boundaries.

> their kids are having kids already.

Some. Plenty of the guys are single guys here working and sending money back though.
>>
>>7918909
yeah but I see quite a few Mexican children/families, as well as young adults.

I think Mexicans are set to become the dominant Hispanic group in NYC in the future.

Now the smart thing for Mexicans to do would be buy property (like many Chinese in NYC are doing) if possible, if they're not doing so already. That will prevent them from getting pushed out.
>>
>>7917560
Everything gets shittier. Get used to it. It's called progress.
>>
>>7918933
i smell a conservative
>>
>>7918943
Not really
>>
>NYC fagging this hard
Are your egos really so fragile you have to shout down anyone who mentions what a trash city you live in? You're not even the most culturally diverse city in the US, and the only reason you're the most expensive is because you have such little real estate, you have to stack on top of each other like rat cages.
And no, I'm not a flyover, I live in a major port city myself, but I don't get my panties all in a knot trying to prove how great everything is, because when you live in a major US port city, you have to deal with a lot of fucked up shit. NYC isn't some shining star, it's a fucked up place full of fucked up people as you posters have easily shown. The only more trash city is LA. Don't even get me started on that piece of shit city.
>>
>>7918894
>>7918835

Mexicans are generally just people who do a job, it seems like in places like Chicago or California they open businesses but none of them have the confidence for good mexican places to be widespread yet in NYC. I get the feeling that mexican food in New York is like a quarter generation from blowing up completely over there like middle-eastern shit had a while ago. And I wouldn't be surprised if it's better than California's. They put fucking rice in their burritos.
>>
>>7918968
FLYOVER
L E
Y V
O O
V Y
E L
REVOYLF
>>
>>7918968
I've been participating in the conversation and belittling Jew Yorkers subtly instead of making some large incoherent post. Way to blow the guise and turn this into some defensive battleground thread.
>>
>>7918974
I think they're putting their roots here, I see Mexican people almost everywhere I go in Brooklyn. Except those shitty Eastern Brooklyn neighborhoods.

But yeah it's getting close to blowing up, and there are a lot of good options already. What I want to see is more mid range restaurants.

>>7918968
>>7918978
What's so shitty about New York, other than high rents and a restrictive government?
>>
>>7918983
meant to write NYC, not New York
>>
>>7918968
>a major port city myself
>not LA
>not NYC

try again
>>
>>7918986
Philly is cool too

I hope NYC hipsters don't ruin Philly, though
>>
>>7918974

To be fair, that's just NoCal bullshit. But I do agree NYC will be great in 5-10 years on that front
>>
it's funny that people who've never been to NYC have such strong opinions about it
>>
File: bagoftrouble.jpg (100KB, 840x1073px) Image search: [Google]
bagoftrouble.jpg
100KB, 840x1073px
>>7918986
I see you have that poor NYC education, as well, since you couldn't understand that I'm not "flyover".
The only people who think everything is about NYC are people who live in NYC, the rest of the country couldn't give a fat rat's ass.
(Pic related, you are literal venereal disease)
>>
>>7919008
Have you ever even been to NYC, Cletus?
>>
>>7918978
My post was neither incoherent, or large. I just dropped in to say how badly the dickslappers from NYC managed to derail what could have been a legitimate thread with their idiotic rhetoric. So, you go ahead do what you need to do, I've said what I wanted to say.
>>
>>7919012
No, but I watched "The Professional" one time and it looks like a shithole
>>
File: swifty.jpg (20KB, 333x420px) Image search: [Google]
swifty.jpg
20KB, 333x420px
>>7918995
It's like you never took a single history or geography class.
Swifty you are not.
>>
>>7918983
>What I want to see is more mid range restaurants.

That is the main basis of a good food scene anywhere really.

Sure you can get good southern food or BBQ in LA/NYC/Chicago but if you're paying 25 dollars for it instead of 5-15 then what's the point?

And with the lax laws in NYC regarding street food I think Mexican food will grow a shit ton.

Lets be realistic, you can get a good enough version of any food in most places, but being able to walk 10 feet and find a good enough version of any food is what's more important.
>>
>>7919020
agreed, I watched "The French Connection" the other day and it looks like such a shithole, why would anyone willingly live there?
>>
>>7919012
Of course, dipshit. I lived there for nearly a decade, before moving on to more fruitful endeavors.
>>
>>7919016
Who the fuck do you think you're talking to? Are you drunk?
>>
>>7919033
It's crazy how long it took my neighborhood to get its first real Mexican place, to my knowledge. I remember even seeing Mexican people around here in the late 90s, and only this year did an authentic taco truck come.

But yeah, I agree.

>>7919035
Where did you live here and what time period?

If you lived in Staten Island from 1975-1985 I don't wanna hear it
>>
>>7919026

Oh, I'm sure you have a place where boats stop. It's in thinking that's "major" or a "city" where you've decided to be wrong.
>>
>>7917750
Lol might as well live in farm land north carolina for the same experience with less taxes and snow.
>>
>>7919065
upstate NY is pretty cheap, you can get a 20 bedroom victorian house in Binghamton, New York for 400k

and some cities upstate are like tiny NYCs
>>
>>7919074
>and some cities upstate are like tiny NYCs

No, they're not.

>you can get a 20 bedroom victorian house in Binghamton, New York for 400k

You can get a mansion in Punjab for cheap too, but nobody wants to live there.
>>
>>7919075
I'm just saying it's probably not more expensive.

And yes, have you been to Albany? It's kinda, I mean kinda, like a tiny NYC.

>>7919076
who knows
>>
>>7919076
I have to imagine someone took care of that at some point in the 100+ years the house has been around
>>
>>7919074
>>7919076
You'll pay property taxes out the ass for that house
>>
>>7919079
>And yes, have you been to Albany? It's kinda, I mean kinda, like a tiny NYC.

Yeah, I go up frequently for work. It is in no way like a tiny NYC, aside from having some shitty bodegas.
>>
>>7919085
I would have to check

>>7919087
a lot of people that live in the capital district are from NYC

and you see a good amount of large sized apartment buildings, that's an NYC-esque thing
>>
>>7918894
>living in a non-trendy neighborhood, which I don't know why anyone would have a problem with
There are a number of legit reasons someone might find a non-trendy neighborhood a non-starter. Say you're a young single person making decent money at your first good job. Nightlife is important to you, and living a $50 Uber ride from it would be a dealbreaker, like it was for the BedStuy Anon in this thread. (If my social life revolved around Williamsburg South Brooklyn would not be a good choice for me. Many of my friends are on the LES, which is just a 15 min subway ride away, so it isn't).

Then there's going out to eat. If you're excited about wine bars, the hot new restaurants and brunch you might not see much excitement in the best taco truck or the best banh mi shop in town. You might not be willing to trade cute little coffee shops and French bistros for Chinese and Latin bakeries.

And I get that. If you have some money in your pocket and chances are you're going to end up married with kids and living in Westchester or Connecticut in less than a decade the less glamorous parts of town might seem like a waste of time to you. You're not living in the city because you love it. You're here to have a good time until you grow up and leave. And there are plenty of businesses that cater to you. You want to live near them.
>>
>>7919044
Yeah I live in Chicago now and the first "halal guys" like you guys have opened up and everyone hated it because we already have a trillion Greek and Mediterranean places that serve the same thing better, but it's still really successful anyways. I think gradually that's going to be more of a thing though which benefits everyone even if people hate it because it's "fake New York shit" or something like that.

The way Chicago is means that you sometimes have to go to certain neighborhoods to find the best versions of certain styles of food. We have stretches that literally go from german to korean within 2 blocks and it takes a while to get used to that when trying to find the actual culinary scene here.

Meanwhile in New York everything is a hodgepodge so you get everything on every block.

I mean like we have the highest polish population in the fucking world outside of poland and you still need to go to a certain neighborhood (where literally everyone is polish or polish/mexican) in order to find the best polish food.

The difference between places is really weird because there are very few restaurants that are worthwhile in the actual "downtown" area of Chicago. You have to go through a dudebro bar area to find our highest rated restaurant.
>>
>>7919091
Yeah but if you're not wealthy, then you have to take what you can get. And if you're not wealthy, you're better off paying less money on rent and saving.

Also in Sunset Park, you're not far away at all from Park Slope if the hipstery stuff is that important. I don't think the nightlife excuse is quite valid either, I live on fucking Long Island and I make it to the LES pretty often to party.
>>
>>7919101
I suppose my point about why I like Chicago is that you can charge 100 people 200 dollars for a meal or 1000 people 20 dollars for a night out and they all co-exist in the same area and pay the same rent. Or you can go spend 5 dollars in a shithole in a crappy neighborhood and get a great meal anyways.
>>
>>7919101
I don't mind having to go to different neighborhoods to get good ethnic food, I'm not spoiled enough to need everything within 5 minutes of me.
>>
File: dfgdfnhg.jpg (20KB, 306x306px) Image search: [Google]
dfgdfnhg.jpg
20KB, 306x306px
>mfw live in Sheepshead bay

it sucks here
>>
>>7919135
the only thing bad about it is being kinda far from Manhattan
>>
>>7919089
>and you see a good amount of large sized apartment buildings, that's an NYC-esque thing

You see that in almost any downtown. Sorry, but Albany is nothing like NYC.
>>
>>7919149
I'm talking about the residential areas

LA, Chicago, even Philly don't have a lot of mid rises and high rises in their residential neighborhoods
>>
>>7919108
>you're better off paying less money on rent and saving.

Again, that depends. If you're spending money on cabs - or spending 2 hours on the train, when you could be working longer / doing a side job, etc, sometimes it isn't worth it.
>>
>>7919157

Yes, they do. Most of NYC housing is 6 stories or less, and besides just having tall housing isn't what makes NYC.
>>
>>7919158
well that all depends on where you work

Yeah if you work in midtown it's better to not live in Canarsie, but if you can save money and be 20 minutes away from work, one should go for it.
>>
>>7919163
No other major US city has such a high concentration of midrises and highrises.

And it's a big part of it, no other city in the country has a cityscape like NYC. Actually, the density is very much what makes NYC, that's why it's so vibrant and runs 24/7.
>>
>>7919163
LA looks like a giant suburb
>>
I want to lick a NYC Mexican girl's butthole
>>
>>7919202
lol you're an asshole

I see cute Chicana girls all the time in Brooklyn

Also, none of the US born ones are older than 25, I bet.
>>
>>7919207

Chicana != Mexicana
>>
>>7919210
they're American born people of Mexican descent, stop being autistic

Also, I've seen good looking Mexican guys around here too (no homo), they were Aztec looking for sure but didn't have that weathered construction worker look.
>>
>>7917560
>BRGR
Are you in Glasgow?
>>
>>7919221
No you retard, they're Mexicans. They don't look anything like Puerto Ricans.

I see Mexicans all the time in Sunset Park, Flatbush, Kensington, Coney Island, Bensonhurst, etc.

And it's funny you say that, I actually hate when people refer to Latinos as "Spanish".
>>
>>7919108
>not wealthy
If you're not wealthy living in a trendy neighborhood would be absurd. That's why they call it gentrification - once the neighborhood becomes trendy most of those who are not wealthy move out.
>I live on fucking Long Island and I make it to the LES pretty often
I appreciate that. But when a much younger me lived in the EV the only nights I wasn't out partying were Friday and Saturday, when my hood was clogged up with you guys.
>>7919135
>Sheepshead bay
A little remote, but pretty, and nice in the summer. Also good food. You have access to the kind of good Italian American food most folks don't even know exists. And you're a stone's throw from good Russian, Georgian and South Asian. I'm sure I'm missing a few other highlights.
>>
>>7919237
>hate when people refer to Latinos as "Spanish".
Yet old school Puerto Ricans and Dominicans refer to themselves as "Spanish". Go figure.
>>
>>7919243
I'm pretty sure most of the people I come across in the EV/LES live in Manhattan or Brooklyn, most people on Long Island party in places like Rockville Centre and the Nautical Mile. Neither of which I like, when I drink locally I actually go to a black bar where they play live music on the weekends. Chill spot, and bartenders are super hot mixed black chicks with huge titties.

>>7919243
Do you mean Central Asian? I'm pretty sure there aren't a lot of Desi people in that part of Brooklyn.
>>
>>7919228
Oh okay, because there is a BRGR in Glasgow and it is UTTER shit! We also have an way over-priced, but semi-decent quality Pho place.
>>
>>7919248
They picked up on that from ignorant white and black people.

>>7919249
Brah, I can tell the difference from Mexicans and Puerto Ricans. But I do get confused between Dominicans and Puerto Ricans, they actually look similar.

I see cute Mexican girls all the time in Brooklyn, the girls that take the orders at my local taco truck are qt Chicana chicks.
>>
>>7919257
L.I and NJ made their appearances on weekends back when I was partying in the EV (early 2000's).

And there are Pakistani joints that serve cabbies all over Brooklyn if you know where to look.
>>
>>7919272
I've seen a random South Asian spot on Coney Island Avenue on the border of Kensington and Flatbush, I'm guessing it's places like that you mean.

I'm sure there are plenty of LI and NJ folk, but they're nowhere near being the majority. It's a lot of work to go from Manhattan to Long Island at 4AM while drunk.
>>
>>7919268
>They picked up on that from ignorant white and black people.

No, they didn't. Many Puerto Ricans are prejudiced against Mexicans, so they call themselves 'Spanish' to try and differentiate themselves.

Some Puerto Ricans that moved out west will refuse to speak 'Mexican' as they call it.
>>
>>7919287
I hear a lot of white and black people (in New York) refer to Latinos in general as "Spanish", I'm guessing they started that rather than Puerto Ricans. And a lot of Salvadorans, Colombians, Ecuadorians, Dominicans, etc. out here also call themselves "Spanish".

And I don't think Puerto Ricans are particularly prejudiced against Mexicans for the most part, maybe some but not most.
>>
>>7919268
I think "Spanish" in that usage was just a shortening of "Spanish speaking" .Just like I was called an "Anglo" when I lived in Quebec, even though I was American. It was short for anglophone, or English speaker, and did not imply I was actually English.
>>
>>7919296
Well yeah, it's still incorrect though. Nobody calls Jamaican people "English".
>>
>>7919296
it implies that they belong to a race called "Spanish"
>>
>>7919295
Is this why some Americans don't believe that European Spanish are white/caucasian?
>>
>>7919310
Yes and no

Because most Americans don't refer to Latinos as Spanish, that's a NY/NJ thing.

But since Spanish people speak Spanish, and so do Latinos, it may be hard for some Americans to mentally disconnect the two. Although I never heard anyone claim Spanish people weren't white except for some Salvadoran-American idiot who I had class with.
>>
>>7919295

It really does come from the Puerto Rican community, I assure you. White people in the US generally just call Hispanics all "Mexicans" anyways, which pisses off PRs.
>>
>>7919316
How do you know that for sure? There aren't many Puerto Ricans where I live, but Salvadorans and Dominicans generally call themselves Spanish, and white people and black people generally refer to them as Spanish.
>>
>>7919300
Yet plenty of Jamaicans (and Trinis) call themselves "West Indians"
>>7919304
I'm pretty sure the term was in common use before "Latino" and "Latin American" were in common usage. The blacks took a while to sort out whether they wanted to be called colored, negro or black. Latinos went through something similar, and Spanish was a popular choice for a while..
>>
>>7919322
They call themselves West Indian because they're from an area called the West Indies.

And yeah Spanish does predate Latino as a term, to my knowledge, however it doesn't look like it was ever in common incorrect use outside of the New York area.
>>
>>7919320

Friends who are both Newyoricans and actual Puerto Ricans, along with Mexican friends/employees.
>>
>>7919336
So the Puerto Ricans talk shit about Mexicans? Which is odd because it seems like Mexicans are better off despite being here for less time.
>>
File: danglingontheedge.jpg (63KB, 500x405px) Image search: [Google]
danglingontheedge.jpg
63KB, 500x405px
>>7919168
>not wanting to actually be inside your shoebox with the other rats makes this city so VIBRANT
>>
>>7919341
it's undeniable that density is a huge part of what makes NYC, you flyover retard
>>
>>7919344
But it's not like people literally thought Puerto Ricans were Spaniards in 1920
>>
>>7919353
Of course not. In the early part of the 20th Century we had plenty of actual Spanish living in NYC. Puerto Ricans didn't start arriving en masse until the 50's and 60's, with Dominicans following.
>>
>>7919339

Yeah - and that's part of the reason PRs don't like Mexicans, because they're more recent immigrants. Same old story, like how the Know-Nothings were mainly Scotch-Irish and hated the Irish, or the Italians hate the blacks, etc.
>>
>>7919370
That's a good explanation.

Spanish people come first, Puerto Ricans follow and are incorrectly called Spanish because they speak Spanish like Spanish people.
>>
>>7919374
Is Persian simply an archaic term for Iranian?
>>
>>7919372
Mexicans and Puerto Ricans often live in the same neighborhoods, though

Sunset Park, Mott Haven, East Harlem, Soundview, etc.

And maybe some Nuyoricans are resentful because they rely on NYCHA despite being in the city for much longer than the Mexicans
>>
>>7919388
No people from Iran can be Persian, Arab, Kurdish, Turkmen, Azeri and possibly other ethinicities too.
>>
>>7919370
> we had plenty of actual Spanish living in NYC

Actually I don't agree on that - it's not like New Orleans where you had the Spanish Quarter, etc.

New York emmigrants are roughly
Dutch
English
Scots Irish
German
Irish
Italian
Jewish / Eastern European
Puerto Rican
Dominican
West Indies
Bangladesh
Arab
Russian
Chinese
Mexican/Central American

basically every group BUT Spaniards.
>>
>>7919400
I think there was a neighborhood called Little Spain about 100 years ago

Also, South Americans came between Dominicans and Mexicans
>>
>>7919415
Not anymore of course, but at one point there Spaniards there. So the first Spanish speaking people in NYC were actually Spanish.
>>
>>7919415
Aren't you thinking of Little Ukraine?
>>
>>7919437
Yeah I figured they weren't dirt poor immigrants, but either way it can explain the etymology of the incorrect use of "Spanish" around here.
>>
I live in St. George and it's been filling up with hipsters over the past five years or so. Just wait until the Ferris wheel is finished. Yikes.
>>
>>7919451
now you have to move to tottenville
>>
>>7919455
well I'm guessing they picked up on that from non-Latinos calling them that

A Dominican person in California would probably not refer to his/herself as Spanish
>>
>>7919400
"

In the late 19th century, Chelsea was a de facto Spanish village, populated with merchant seaman who commuted back and forth between New York and the province of Galicia in Spain’s rugged and impoverished northwest. By the early 1920s refugees began appearing from other parts of Spain, fleeing dictator Primo Rivera’s harsh rule.

"Many of the newcomers settled on West 14th Street, which became known as Little Spain, anchored by Our Lady of Guadeloupe Church (1902) and the Spanish Benevolent Society (1868), which provided immigrant services, cultural programs, and temporary residence for the likes of Luis Bunuel, Pablo Picasso, Salvador Dali, and Frederico Garcia Lorca."

- R. Sietsema
http://ny.eater.com/2015/1/8/7512299/spanish-restaurants-new-york-new-jersey-sietsema
>>
>>7919479
kek

I know part of the East Village is called little Ukraine but I see no Ukrainian presence except for a bar possibly owned by Ukrainians on Ave A
>>
>>7919484
Never walked by the church on 7th across the street from McSorley's? (Which has a Ukrainian folk shop right next to it). Never had the borscht at Veselka? Never hit the last Ukrainian butcher standing on 1st between St Mark's and E 9th? What about the Ukrainian Home Restaurant?

Come on. Yeah, it was little Tokyo more recently, and a German hood before it was Ukrainian, but that shit hasn't just disappeared.
>>
>>7919512
Oh I'm sure there's some Ukrainian stuff left, I just don't remember seeing it. I also haven't walked literally every block of the EV yet.
>>
File: bx.png (2MB, 974x650px) Image search: [Google]
bx.png
2MB, 974x650px
regarding density, is there anywhere not in NYC that looks like this?
>>
>>7919517
Sorry if I came off as too strong. Used to live there back when the Ukrainian presence was stronger, and the Little Tokyo thing was at its height. Good times.

They still throw a yearly Ukrainian festival on 7th, and you'd be surprised how many of the white old schoolers left in the hood are of that heritage.
>>
>>7919536
nah it's all good, I might have just beeen oblivious to it. But it's not a real obvious presence, Little Tokyo on St. Marks is much more obvious in my opinion and I don't even think that counts as a true enclave.
>>
>>7919545
My man Robert would make the argument it does:
http://ny.eater.com/2015/2/20/8073595/little-tokyo-east-village-new-york-sietsema
>>
>>7919559
I meant as far as US cities go, as far as I know there's nowhere else in the US with the kind of density you see in The Bronx or Brooklyn
>>
>>7919536
What's Astoria like now? It used to be full-Greek.
>>
>>7919588
Shamefully I do not make it to Queens as often as a NYC food nerd ought to. (Living in South Bklyn makes that an hour trip under good circumstances).

Last time I hit Astoria regularly was a few years ago. Still was pretty Greek, but some Mexicans were there, too.
>>
>>7919584
I think there's a place in Alaska where an entire town lives in one building but that probably doesn't count.

>>7919559
Some part of me wants to live like this. I'd have a cat and order food from a flying chinaman like in the Fifth Element
>>
>>7919652
Not him but,

>exaggerating that much
>being ignorant on purpose
>>
>>7919652
No, but I did have the tacos in Rockaway Beach at the Surf Club last year. Good, but the El Bronco truck is better as far as the tacos go. The vibe/scene is kinda hard to beat in Rockaway Beach. Worth a trip (maybe even with an Air B&B) just to see that really weird corner of the city. Makes Coney Island seem fucking mainstream.
>>
>>7919717
The Rockaways really are weird, it's almost like not being in NYC. Elmont feels more like NYC to me.
>>
>>7919717
What is the best taqueria you've been to? And Mexican restaurant in general? Have you tried La Morada yet?
>>
>>7919726
true that
>>7919730
Best taco I ever had was in the market in Merida, Yucatan - a simple roast pork taco with cilantro, onion, lime juice and a little hot sauce. But living in a neighborhood heavy with immigrants from D.F. and Puebla I'm spoiled for street level good shit. I know about Stupak and Olvera, but I'm not so compelled to seek it out when what I get at street level is so fucking good.

Planning a trip to D.F. and Puebla this winter to see what, if anything I'm missing.
>>
>>7919814
Oh I meant your favorite stuff in NYC but that's cook too. Was there anything interesting about the pork taco?
>>
>>7919820
*cool
>>
>>7919820
The meat was not dissimilar to the crispy skin roast pig you's see hanging in the window of a an old school Chinese restaurant next to the ducks and chickens. Sometimes I buy that to make tacos at home.
>>
>>7919838
Sounds good

And what are your favorite places for Mexican in NYC?
>>
>>7917672
Shoulda left the les in 1995.
>>
>>7919844
Extreme hipster detected
>>
>>7919844
Crazy to think though, that the LES and Alphabet City used to be a dump back in the day
>>
>>7917560
Congratulations! You now live in an unsafe neighborhood with no decent schools nearby that costs 10x as much to live in than it did 5 years ago!
You will now have shit stores and shit restaurants for 30 years until the cost of living is equal to the safety and educational prospects in the area.
>>
>>7919930
>being this retarded

Also if you're not a shit parent, you can make the "not good" schools work. And in NYC, almost all gentrifying areas have relatively low crime rates.
>>
File: 1441163393997.jpg (59KB, 661x885px) Image search: [Google]
1441163393997.jpg
59KB, 661x885px
>>7917776
Not him, but I really enjoy living in a fly over state. I just think it's a shame that states with larger populations dictate what my lowly state has to do via their more numerous elected representatives.

I just wish the coast states electricity went out for a few years so they couldn't enjoy their bread and games and start killing each other.
>>
>>7919999
the bicameral house solves that issue, broski
>>
>>7920014
They have say over the house still though. In the Senate, my country bumpkin, rednecks are only equal in voice.
>>
>>7920038
well obviously the people who make up more of the population should have more of a say, to an extent
>>
I wonder if the South Bronx will look like Bushwick in 10 years
>>
>>7920051
Well that's where we disagree.
>>
>>7917560
So the employees are paid shit and they don't are about your food.
More people get jobs, things they've never had before.
You want them to cater to your individual tastes?
>>
>>7920175
So what's your solution?
>>
>>7919999
damn quads
>>
>>7920325
Reduce the coastal states' population.
>>
>>7919455
>>7919461

This. The use of Spanish was not driven from outside, it was a use by Puerto Ricans, then Domincans.

Dominican Republic is located on Hispanoola, which is partially why the former residents identify more with the term Spanish than Latino.

That, and like I said earlier, they really want to not be called Mexican by white people.
>>
>>7919482

I was not aware of that, thanks!
>>
>>7919559

Guy earlier was claiming Albany was just like NYC.

Protip: it's not
>>
>>7919854

"What are you gonna do, shoot me?"

Still my favorite LES gentrification story.
>>
>>7919999
>I just think it's a shame that states with larger populations dictate what my lowly state has to do via their more numerous elected representatives.

Flyovers are overrepresented by population in government. Which is 90% of the reason shit sucks.
>>
>>7920136

SoBro
>>
>>7917733
Save money and open up a food truck.
>>
>>7917560
It means GTFO or step your income up and find a better area.
>>
>>7921285
I never said that, you retard. I said it has a vaguely NYC like vibe.
>>
>>7921304
Gentrifying neighborhoods tend to be expensive, though
>>
>>7921282
NYC has a ridiculous immigrant history. Little chunks of the rest of the world landed here over the last couple centuries. If you're tuned into it walking around this town can be an insane history lesson. Because even though the US has a relatively short history compared to other nations NYC is one of the richest places in the country in that regard. I live in a building that was one of the first housing co-ops in the US, built by Finnish immigrants in the 1920's just a stone's throw from the site where Hamilton distinguished himself during the Battle of Brooklyn in 1776. Today it's a thriving Latino and Chinese immigrant neighborhood, having been Dutch, Irish, Scandinavian and Polish before that. On my block I hear Spanish, Polish, Chinese, Yiddish, Finnish and Arabic spoken every day. Old Italian women say hello with stereotypical Italian American accents from 70 years ago. It's like Sesame Street on acid.
>>
>>7919381
Dominican here. I can confirm, without a doubt, that the Spanish dialect people from the Caribbean (Dominicans, Cubans, Puerto Ricans) speak is almost completely unrecognizable from that of Spaniards. We drop 's's for pluralizing words, drop 't's, drop 'r's and replace them with 'y's and 'i's just to make shit easier to pronounce, and so on. The whole dialect is beyond fucked.
>>
>>7921789
That's not what we're talking about

We're talking about Nuyoricans and Nuyodominicans calling themselves "Spanish"
>>
>>7921789

It's also unrecognizable from Mexican or South American.

Grew up along the border, but our Spanish teachers in school always tried to teach us Castillian. Which was funny, because they couldn't understand the ESL kids speaking (Mexican) Spanish.
>>
>>7921808
In my school, I'd say we learned a more Latin American variety since we didn't learn vosotros. I had one teacher who tried to push that though, as well as the "th" pronunciation of the letter c.

I find it memetastic that they couldn't understand each other though, I've never heard of Hispanics from different countries not being able to understand each other. Just like I can understand Brits and Irish people just fine.
>>
>>7921808
Also as someone who is in that awkward stage of knowing a lot of Spanish but not being quite fluent, I found it pretty easy to talk to the handful of Southern Mexican immigrants I've talked to, while Dominicans are the hardest to understand.
>>
>>7921827
Lack of vosotros isn't going to make it hard to understand, it just changes the level of perceived formality. Like aussies calling their friends "shitcunt" and their enemies "m8"

There's not really a "Latin American" Spanish anyway, an Argie talks way differently than a Mexican who talks differently than a Dominican.

Colombian Spanish is probably the closest thing they have to an American midwestern accent. Pretty much understandable by everyone even if the word choice and pronunciation is somewhat distinct.

Dominican Spanish is pretty much an abomination. It's so fucked that even the typed form is unintelligible to anyone other than other Dominicans.
>>
>>7921851
I know there isn't a Latin American Spanish in that sense, what I meant was that they taught a more generic Spanish. And some of my teachers would say "in Mexico this is referred to as a X but in Colombia it's referred to as Y".

But yeah, I heard Colombian Spanish is their "clearest", and Dominican Spanish seems the least clear.
>>
>>7921859
Right, it's like lift vs elevator, might cause a double take but generally not all that hard to figure out what the person meant.

There are very few words that are truly specific to one country, for the most part it's just some countries preferring one synonym over another for historical reasons, or in a few cases an indigenous word getting integrated into the language, most commonly in Mexico.
>>
>>7921835
Agreed. The Mexican accent is fucking easy to understand. Puerto Rican and Dominican accents are kinda ugly and difficult. Oddly as someone who also speaks French I find Haitian Kreyol beautiful, even if it's sometimes impenetrable to me.
>>
>>7921875
Exactly, it's just a matter of preference for synonyms usually. And the accent itself, but that's usually mutually intelligible.
>>
>>7921876
Isn't Haitian Kreyol not mutually intelligible with French, though?
>>
>>7921876
dat SLANG tho
I speak Spanish and while I can generally understand Mexicans, their slang is beyond me. I can't understand any of it. It's kind of like Jamaicans and American blacks and their English: even if I understand the words, I don't get the meaning because it's so full of slang. Educated Mexicans, though, I can understand just fine.
PRs and Dominicans, however... well... I don't even know where to begin. Even supposedly educated ones, like my sister-in-law and her PR family, speak in such an odd manner that I can't completely understand what they're saying. Maybe seven of every ten words or so.
It's like they have hiccups or something.

I natively speak German and Italian (and French is heavily promoted in school, so I speak that semi-natively, since I've been taught French since I was like four years old or so), so I always thought it was just a matter of not being a native Spanish speaker. Happy to know that I'm not alone here: PRs speak godawful fucking Spanish.

>>7919314
>NY/NJ thing
DelMarVa, too. And SePA. New England, too. Likely elsewhere, as well.
>>
>>7921965
I meant the Northeast but especially NY/NJ
>>
>>7921827

Most of what they couldn't understand was slang. The Castillian teachers tended to be Anglos, not Hispanic.
>>
>>7917756
Hopewell here.
>>
>>7921890
You can recognize most of the words, but the accent and structure requires concentration. And some words are entirely different, and you'll only get those by context.

Then there's the fact that I almost never get to hear too much of it, because as soon as I address a Kreyol speaker in French they slip into more formal French to communicate with the white guy. I find that's almost always the case with speakers of African influenced French. When they're talking among themselves the African is thick, but as soon as a white guy joins the conversation they all do their best to sound Parisian.
>>
>>7922013
what's pretty impressive is that a lot of Haitians I know are trilingual, speaking English, Kreyol, and French
>>
>>7922013
Mexicans do that too, I mean probably that's a thing in every language. When a poor people says "how are you doing" I say "pretty good, you?", when an educated people says the same, I say "doing well, you?". Or, when you have someone from the deep south who went to school and got edumacated, they'll sound normal as fuck professionally but put them in the Mississippi Delta and get them drunk and they'll be unintelligible.
>>
>>7921292
Yeah it's so you don't turn the entire USA into a free mustache and undercut barbershop with $4 PBR tallboys and $5 pork belly tacos before complaining about how everyone has a free mustache and undercut and drinks PBR and pork belly tacos.
>>
>>7922041
I like the diversity of the US
>>
>>7922024
True. Even I do that in English. When I'm talking with my business partners or my lawyer I speak in a generic Northeast manner typical of an upper middle class guy with an Ivy League education. I sure as fuck to dot talk like that at the pizza joint or the Irish Haven bar, because I'd stick out like a sore thumb.
>>
>>7922041
>pork belly tacos.
They may be annoyingly trendy, but fuck are they good. Even the wacky fusion ones.
>inb4 mustache detected
>>
>>7922041

It's not us doing it - it's because flyover culture is so unattractive that they try and do the things New Yorkers already did.

If you weren't pathetic, you'd be influencing NYC, but you're not.
>>
I live in gentrification capital of the world.

Yes, it's normal. All the great holes in the wall that served you hot delicious food for $4.50 get closed down because there's no poor people or niggers to support it because they all got kicked out of the neighborhood. Instead they get replaced with 'wood-fired' pizza joints that serve you a tiny fucking pie for $15, hip and trendy Mexican shit staffed by white people serving 'organic' and 'local' produce for $10 a meal and that's considered cheap, vegan smoothie shops, breakfast shitholes, overpriced mini-doughnut shops, coffee joints that charge $4 a cup and assholes playing Pokemon Go fucking everywhere while they ignore the lead in their water. Don't forget the homeless gentrification victims hitting you up for money.

I hate it. I want out ASAP. Get me to a worthless flyover with 400 acres and some cattle, bring me a wheel of oaken wood, a rein of polished leather...
>>
>>7922119
San Francisco or NYC?
>>
Someone nuke New York please
>>
>>7922119
>I hate it. I want out ASAP. Get me to a worthless flyover with 400 acres

you can get to the flyover any time you want to. or just move to a normal sized town instead of some bigass city.
>>
>>7922083
idk, man. I've spent a lot of time in flyover land, and what they do well is great. Go to a music festival, drink the local brew and you'll probably have a better time than anyone at Coachella or the Governors Ball.

TGhe problem with flyover land is the enforced conformity. Doing your own thing is frowned upon because everyone is sup[posed to be a normal, regular guy. Being too ambitious is getting above yourself. Doing anything creative is frowned upon. If your life's goals aren't a straight job, a house, a wife, two cars and a kid or two it really isn't the place for you. The culture really holds back whatever talent the locals have, because they're taught from an early age they have to conform to the norm. It's practically hammered into them.
>>
>>7922119
There's your mistake. You're living in the neighborhood you're supposed to live next to.
>>
>>7922168
>The culture really holds back whatever talent the locals have, because they're taught from an early age they have to conform to the norm.
What's interesting about this is that it really works to their detriment. Some of the brightest, most talented flyover kids end up going to elitist coastie institutions, getting all edumucated, and settle in cities. Meanwhile the high school bully gets his high school sweetheart preggers, they settle down and fatten up and vote Trump because the reason they're not getting ahead like those mean old coasties is mostly affirmative action, immigrants, and libtards who think that college is good.
>>
>>7922214
That's a particularly bleak view, but I get your point. I have many friends who grew up in flyoverland and couldn't wait to GTFO. Hell, I'm married to one, which is how I've managed to spend a lot of time there (visiting her family). Nice folks, but if you want anything more out of life than your job, your house, your family and maybe church, sports and hunting/fishing it sure as fuck ain't the place for you. Half of the shit I talk about is met with the response, "That's different" from them. It's like they work to keep their worlds as smallas possible.
>>
>>7922149
>I hate it. I want out ASAP. Get me to a worthless flyover with 400 acres and some cattle, bring me a wheel of oaken wood, a rein of polished leather...

Exactly. Door's that way, don't let it hit you on the way out.
>>
>>7922168

What you're describing is why flyover sucks, but doesn't change the fact it sucks.

The cities force you to do your own thing. It's competitive, and people who can't take care of shit don't last. Which is why the stuff the rest of the country later picks up is generated here.
>>
>>7922214

That's why flyover should be rightfully derided. Their illusion of themselves as REAL AMERICA or the "Heartland" is bullshit. What they are is fucking losers looking for someone to blame their own failed lives on.
>>
>>7922301
>that classic New Yorker ADHD

lol too busy playing Pokemon Go again huh? better run to central park, I hear they're doing a gym battle down there!
>>
>>7922317

Oh, did your feelings get hurt? You can go fuck your cow at any time if that's your little fantasy. People actually want to live here, so you won't be missed, fucko.
>>
>>7922168
It's the same in big cities. Human race is a circlejerk of assholes trying to suppress ambition. It happens on here all the time. How many new ideas do you see on this website that get shot down in the first post?

It's a natural human instinct to shit on other people's works and claim they're worthless and will never amount to anything and they should just settle down, find a wife, and be miserable for the next 50+ years.

And if you think you'll get away from that in a big city, you're sorely mistaken. These people are rats, they are interested in their own and their own alone. If your idea is good they will shit on it before stealing it for their own benefit. You can't trust a soul here, and anyone who tells you otherwise is trying to manipulate you.

Well, they don't call it the rat race for nothing. But at least the bumfuck farmers I can rely on for something of an honest opinion. You can't get honesty out of city slickers, and I speak as someone raised in big cities his whole life. We lie, we cheat, the poor ones steal. Anyone ITT who tells you otherwise is bullshitting you.
>>
>>7922324
>all this sudden aggression for an opinion

guess the lead in your water must be getting to you again

I'm sorry your local governance doesn't care about your health or safety and you have to buy overpriced bottled water at the 7/11 Anon, I truly am :(

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/25/nyregion/city-failed-to-test-for-lead-in-water-at-day-care-centers-audit-says.html
>>
>>7922332
>at-day-care-centers

Ummmm unlike yourself, apparently, I'm not spending lots of time at day care centers. Fail harder.
>>
>>7922332
>WAAAAH AGGRESSION OH GOD THE TRIGGERING IS AS INTENSE AS BBC IN MY ASS
>>
>>7922326
>they should just settle down, find a wife, and be miserable for the next 50+ years.
>And if you think you'll get away from that in a big city, you're sorely mistaken

Except no. Unlike small towns and cities, people in NYC generally do NOT give a fuck if you don't want to get married.
>>
>>7922306
I guess my point is not everything about it sucks. If that's what you want from life I'm sure it's lovely. And there are some cool little bits of culture. Last year I drove through the UP of Michigan and has a fucking blast.

What kills is for me is that there isn't much going on, and outside of major cities the food gets really grim - the kind of generic, heavily processed American food I would never eat unless I was out of options.
>>
>>7922326
There is a difference though. I live a life in NYC that I could not live in many other places. I haven't had an actual job in over 20 years. I just do shit I find interesting and manage to get paid for it. I play music, teach, produce records, write and even dabble in the wine business. I don't have to give any fucks, because there are plenty olf others like me walking around. It's not considered the least bit odd here.

There really isn't much of a creative class in say, Wassau, WI. And people do look at me funny in the supermarket there.
>>
>>7922355
Yeah you can live the bachelor life just fine
>>
>>7922288
>Half of the shit I talk about is met with the response, "That's different"
Yeah, I know that phrase well. Some of my flyover relatives say that sometimes, It's a distinctly flyover trait, it has a very specific meaning in flyover-speak

Everywhere else in the world, when you say "that's different" it means something like "at face value the thing you said is applicable to the scenario in question but the reality is otherwise"

In flyover land it is something altogether different. It is the english language equivalent of "System.NullReferenceException", i.e., "I know the words you said but it freaked me out and I can't meaningfully respond within the parameters of my current value system, I'm now concerned that it would be dangerously confrontational for me to speak my mind so let's just stop this conversation right there"

It usually goes from there to talk about sports or fishing or something that anchors them and reassures them that even though you just went to some dangerous territory, you're still a good person just like them and not some amoral urban alien whose motives and aspirations have something to do with something other than fear of hell or desire to go to heaven.
>>
>>7922579
Which US cities/metro areas are non flyover, in you're opinion?
>>
>>7922588
*your
>>
>>7922579
kek, that seems spot on. My MiL has a good one: "normal food". Like if we're going out to eat she wants to go to a place that serves normal food. I pressed her for a definition of the term, but she couldn't provide one. So I'm left to judge what normal food is based on the very few restaurants she'll agree to go to. From what I can tell "normal food" is terrible "family restaurant" food from the 1970's.
>>
>>7922579

C# or Java? It's actually closer to ArgumentException I think.
>>
>>7922588

Not the same anon, but flyover generally means anywhere not NYC or LA.

San Francisco tries to get in, but is just part of San Jose now.
>>
>>7922679
Philly isn't flyover

I see this is as a New Yorker
>>
>>7922688
*say
>>
>>7922688

Only really cause Philly's part of the NYC metro area
>>
>>7922762
no it's not.
>>
>>7917560
did not read thread.
read op was complaining about hipsters, while simultaneously touting his pho purism - and had a vision of the homeless guy with a broken mind arguing with himself
left thread
heard op killed himself
rejoiced
>>
File: 1468610509737.jpg (6KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
1468610509737.jpg
6KB, 225x225px
>>7919999
>>
>>7922774

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/08/14/fashion/sundaystyles/philadelphia-story-the-next-borough.html?_r=0
>>
>>7922083
It's the absolute opposite. You take regional foods and charge 10 dollars for it.
>>
>>7917737
There are literally places called BRGR all over the country that are unrelated.
>>
>>7919999
>Quads post wishing for coast states' blackout
SHIT
Thread posts: 315
Thread images: 17

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.