[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ok so I'm moving out soon and I put together a good budget

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 1

File: naifu.jpg (7KB, 160x160px) Image search: [Google]
naifu.jpg
7KB, 160x160px
Ok so I'm moving out soon and I put together a good budget for everything, but I'd like to cut down on costs in the kitchen. In regards to stocking the kitchen, what is the bare minimum I can get away with?

pic semi related, Victorinox 8 in chef knife. read online that it's a good knife for a low cost
>>
>>7915162
Would entirely depend on how much cookery you want done.
do you mean the minimum for a fully functioning kitchen or?
>>
>>7915166
yeah a fully functioning one. I don't want to have many limitations on what I can cook but I also don't want to have ridiculous items that I'll only use once or twice in a year. If I wasn't Asian a wok would be an example of an unnecessary item.
>>
>>7915183
what is your nationality?
>>
>>7915222
Filipino. I like stir fry's and fried rice a lot
>>
>>7915162
>read online that it's a good knife for a low cost

It was, when those articles were first written. Back then that was a $20 knife. Now it's a lot more. You can get the exact same thing by Dexter-russel or "Bakers and Chefs" for much less than the victorinox price. There's nothing special about Victorinox, it's just a generic line-cook knife. Go to any restaurant supply store and there will be several brands of the exact same thing.

>>7915183
>yeah a fully functioning one
You need to be more specific. That means all kinds of different things to different people. IMHO, a "fully functioning" kitchen involves a flat top griddle, a full size oven (that holds a pan twice the size of most home ovens), a deep fryer, and many other things that most home cooks would consider excessive.
>>
http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-set-up-a-kitchen-with-essential-cookware-tools-for-300-shopping-guides-from-the-kitchn-208432

I found this if anyone wants to read it and let me know what they think. I'm going through it now
>>
>>7915241
well, I don't think I know exactly what I want/need. I have a deep fryer in my budget and I was thinking of getting an electric griddle too but I didn't want it to be tacky. What do you use? I guess I'm looking for the basics. I'm not super serious about cooking but I like to make good food. Sorry if this is vague
>>
>>7915162
20 dollar Cuisinart 3 knife set. Pic related if I wasn't lazy.
Solid, well balanced, cheap, standard issue knives.
>>
>>7915243
Here's my thoughts:

1) Pots and pans. I'd rather have a frying pan, skillet, or wok than a saute pan. The main reason being that it's hard to toss food in a saute pan due to the straight sides, but that's easily done with the other options. I'd also suggest adding a saucepan with a lid. That's inexpensive and very useful.

2) Knives: See >>7915241. Victoronox is good, but you can get just as good for less money. I also don't see the point in a paring knife--home cooks generally don't carve little fancy garnishes. Everything else you can do with your chef's knife.

3) Prep tools - pretty much agreed here.

4) Utensils. I agree with how important the tongs are, but I don't agree with their suggestion. Those are very flimsy, and the latch requires you to have both hands free to operate it. I suggest the "Cuisipro" brand instead. They are much more durable and the latch can be operated with only one hand. That is well worth the slight additional expense.

I sure as fuck wouldn't call all that "fullly functional" though. More like "basics".
>>
>>7915243
how things like a thermometer or oven mitts beat out a hand blender is beyond me.
>>
>>7915264

Frankly I wish more people here had and used a thermometer. That might reduce the number of "how do I know when it's cooked" questions.
>>
>>7915262
what would you call fully functional?
>>
>>7915269
I think a blender of some sort even beats out a pan, it's THE kitchen instrument.l
>>
>>7915280
I put a ninja in the budget cause it's convenient and it's what i have at the house now
>>
>>7915275
Capable of doing the following
-hot and cold smoking
-baking, up to a minimum of 550F, with steam. must accommodate full-size sheet pans
-flattop/griddle
-at least 6 hobs, all gas, one of which must be strong enough for a wok.
-stand mixer
-meat grinder
-pasta roller
-sausage stuffer
-mandoline
-commercial blender with extra jars
-stick blender
-deep fryer
-food processor, commercial model like robot-coupe
-instant-read thermometer like Thermapen, etc.
-pressure ccooker

A wide assortment of pots and pans, the thicker and heavier the better. All-Clad, Demyere, Mauviel, Alegacy "two point five" series, that kind of thing.
>>
>>7915290
I'd suggest a proper blender rather than the ninja. The ninja performs well, but it's small. That limits it's use. A full-size blender like a Beldtec or a Vitamix can do everything the ninja does and a whole lot more. I have used my Blendtec to make peanut butter, grind my own flour, make ground meat, etc, etc.
>>
>>7915162
>bare minimum I can get away with?
>good knife for a low cost

literally whatever knife walmart sells for $10 will last you a lifetime in a home kitchen
>>
>>7915350
Yep. And it will either be dull as fuck for that whole lifetime, or OP is gonna get really good at sharpening it.
>>
>>7915387
should I buy the equipment for sharpening a knife too?
>>
>>7915331
how did you ground your own flour?
>>
>>7915467
Yes, of course. But you don't need anything fancy. Get a steel honing rod for frequent maintenance and either a pull-thru sharpener, or a combo stone for when it gets dull.

>>7915471

I put dry rice in the blender. Then I ran it until it was fine enough. I've done that with whole corn to make grits as well.

Did you not see the "will it blend" videos that were a big deal a few years ago? They ground cubic zirconia into dust. The only thing harder than that is diamond.
>>
>>7915162
for me the bare minimum: a stock pot, saucepan with steamer, decent size frypan roasting/grilling pan a grater, big bowl at least salad size for the recipies that need them full knife set, peeler, can opener, bottle opener, spatula, masher, blender, electric mixer, wooden spoons, seive.
>>
>>7915162
Lived fine for like 6 years now with just a whetstone and victorinox knife /ck/ suggested back then
>>
>>7915489
okay thanks. any other suggestions from anyone? I'll post my budget up here tomorrow to get some feedback I'm at work right now.
>>
also, any opinion on knife block sets?
>>
>>7915668
just get a single decent cooks knife my man/woman
>>
>>7915671
I wanted to have a few steak knives for guests. Would it be better to just buy these separately?
>>
>>7915689
Yes
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.