[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Teflon: The Thread. I've been abusing a teflon electric

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: frying-pan-skillet.jpg (36KB, 380x253px) Image search: [Google]
frying-pan-skillet.jpg
36KB, 380x253px
Teflon: The Thread.

I've been abusing a teflon electric skillet lately and it's already showing some wear. How soon do you guys replace teflon cookware?

How acid resistant is it really? "They" say it's OK with vinegar, tomatoes, etc, but I don't really trust DuPoint to so much as walk my dog without poisoning it because they can.

Are ceramic non-stick any good?

Is there some way I can use Iron skillets on a glasstop stove, and is Iron-poisoning a real concern with acidic foods in them?
>>
Me and the wife cook almost everything in a cast iron pan, even acidic vinegary foods. And after two years of this her iron levels were normal but so much on the low side she was recommended to add some to her diet.
Try it out for a bit, see how it works for you.
>>
Forgot to add, we use our cast iron on a class top stove and have no problems with that.
>>
>>7914663
>Try it out for a bit, see how it works for you.

Two things:

I want temperature control (temperature-control sensor like electric skillet). The one month with my new glasstop stove and the heat settings are still bullshit. Cooking eggs and stuff I want tight control without the pan-on-pan-off juggle

I have a glasstop stove and the misses goes apeshit if she thinks something so much as might maybe scratch it possibly... hence electric skillet

I actually haven't used the new stove since we got it. I just keep it polished.

Is there some kind of intermediate I can put on the stove? I was thinking like a copper plate or something with an attached thermometer or something.
>>
>>7914680
* sorry if that's confusing
Used the glasstop for about a month, then quit using it because it got a few scratches. The actual temperatures seem higher than my old stove for the same setting, and from very low to medium is practically logarithmic.

I miss my old beat to shit coil stove.
>>
>>7914655
>How soon do you guys replace teflon cookware?
When it gets mechanically damaged (peeling) or when the food starts to stick. The latter is often forewarned by a change in color.

>How acid resistant is it really?
Very. It's probably the most acid resistant thing on the planet. It is used in chemistry labs for storing things that are so acidic they dissolve glass.

>Are ceramic non-stick any good?
Nope.

>> I can use Iron skillets on a glasstop stove
Yes, it works great but it might leave cosmetic scratches on the glass.

>>nd is Iron-poisoning a real concern with acidic foods in them?
Nope. Iron poisoning is never a concern unless you're talking about small children whose well-meaning but overbearing mommies force-feed them too many vitamin pills. The concern about acid in cast iron is that long-term cooking of acidic foods can damage the seasoning of the pan. That's not dangerous, it just means you might have to re-season more often than you might otherwise.
>>
>>7914699
>The actual temperatures seem higher than my old stove for the same setting

What you need to understand is that the "temperatures" are not temperatures at all. they're power settings, and all stoves are different. The numbers on the dial are meaningless.

Think of it like driving a car. Asking the question "how should I set the knob for my omelet" is just as dumb as asking "how far should I step on the accelerator pedal to drive to the store". You adjust things as needed. When you first put the pan on the stove then you set the heat to full blast--why waste time waiting for the pan to heat up? When the food actually goes into the pan then you'd lower the heat to maintain the level that you want while it cooks. And that might change during cooking. For example, when cooking a pork chop you might sear it at a high setting then lower it down to finish cooking through.

Ignore what the knob says. Pay attention to what's happening in the pan.
>>
>>7914740
>Pay attention to what's happening in the pan.

1) It's the year 2016
2) I am spoiled by my electric skillet with precise temperature control

Fuck it I think I have an old arduino laying around from college. Mechatronics and building lab experiment apparatuses was my forte, might just rig up a temperature monitor.

There's a kickstarter for exactly that but it's some bullshit phone-app monitor
>>
>>7914655
I buy cheap teflon tools and change them every year. I mean why buy a 20 euro pan that last 2 years top when I can get a fresh 3euro one that I change every year?
>>
>>7914751

I'm not sure what your point is. Yes, you could easily rig up a temperature controller. But why would you want to? Cooking in a skillet doesn't require one set temperature, just as attempting to drive at exactly one speed is usually counterproductive. To cook well you adjust the heat level based on the food.

Your "temperature monitor" is a solution to a non-extant problem.
>>
>>7914768

Probably because that thin-ass 3 euro pan doesn't cook very evenly.
>>
>>7914779
>non-existant problem

Repeatability for more sensitive foods.

This is partly why poaching eggs is so superior:
Water boiling is so consistent you can time it down to SECONDS precision.

Crepes and pancakes is another one. I could develop a 6th sense like my old roommate did. Or I could just apply technology.
>>
>>7914795
>Water boiling is so consistent you can time it down to SECONDS precision.

Yep. And it doesn't require a temperature controller.

>>Crepes and pancakes is another one.
No, not really. The heat and time needed will vary depending on the temperature of the batter. But again, you don't need a temperature controller. Just look at the damn pan. When you see the visual cue that it's ready to flip, flip it.
>>
File: temperature control in cooking.png (861KB, 1090x912px) Image search: [Google]
temperature control in cooking.png
861KB, 1090x912px
>>7914801
Look man, I don't get why you're arguing.
This exists as a real product people use for real cooking problems. Namely: Consistency and control. Sees lots of usage in restaurants and such.

If I need to change the temperature while cooking, I change it. Why you even bring that up I have no idea.

>it doesn't require a temperature controller
Poaching is just an example of why temperature control is awesome. Frying by comparison is more temperature sensitive.
>see the visual cue that it's ready to flip, flip it
Timing, not temperature.
>>
Nonstick pans are for people who don't know how to cook, and eggs.

Learn to cook and buy stainless or anodized w.o coating
>>
>>7914855
>Nonstick pans are for people who don't know how to cook
Nah, nonstick are for people who are lazy and want to just stick them directly in the dishwasher without ever having to scrub anything.
>>
>>7914823
No, this exists as a real product people use to rip off the dumb and the lazy, and serves as evidence that socioeconomic stratification isn't necessarily a bad thing.
>>
>>7914909
>rip off the dumb and the lazy

>Sous Vide
>Restaurant equipment
>etc

Go back to your stone slab over a wood fire, 'Injun Joe.
>>
>>7914823
>This exists as a real product people use for real cooking problems

No, it exists as a real product for people who are have deluded themselves into thinking that they should use a technical solution rather than just using their senses.

>> I don't get why you're arguing.
Because I'm trying to help you. You don't need to spend money or effort on this. Just pay attention to what you're doing instead.

>>If I need to change the temperature while cooking, I change it. Why you even bring that up I have no idea.
I bring it up because you seem to have an irrational need to cook at some exact known temperature.

>>Timing, not temperature.

That's the point. You don't need exact temperature for cooking in a pan. You need timing. You're talking about cooking stuff in a fry pan or skillet. Sous vide, poaching, and deep frying are totally irrelevant to this discussion.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.