[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hi /ck/, anyone here eat much Sauerkraut? I want to make Choucroute

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 5

File: kraut.jpg (169KB, 620x327px) Image search: [Google]
kraut.jpg
169KB, 620x327px
Hi /ck/, anyone here eat much Sauerkraut? I want to make Choucroute Garnie sometime soon, but I've never used Sauerkraut personally before. These 3 are the only brands at my local, should I be picky with brands or look for something in particular? Thanks lads.
>>
There are definitely differences in taste between brands. Only thing you can do is test them yourself or read reviews and trust the reviewers. There are 2 main varieties - plain and with white wine. Also there is pasteurized (regular) and pre-cooked.
>>
File: 01.jpg (193KB, 960x718px)
01.jpg
193KB, 960x718px
>>7909609
Thanks, I just went with the Polish Kraut this time as it had a good review all round. The dish came out delicious.

I'll have to find more dishes using it to experiment with.
>>
File: 02.jpg (133KB, 718x960px) Image search: [Google]
02.jpg
133KB, 718x960px
>>7910155
And served. Looks great!
>>
if it's stored on a shelf in a safety sealed jar it's not real sauerkraut
>>
>>7910178
What about sealing it in a jar makes it not sauerkraut?
>>
>>7910186
safety sealing it kills all the probiotics so you're just eating cabbage in vinegar

get the kind that's stored in the fridge
>>
>>7910199
>vinegar
Then it's not sauerkraut, and wasn't before sealing.
>>
>>7910228
that's my point

sealed, shelf stable sauerkraut is not fermented, ever

it's just glorified pickled cabbage
>>
>>7910371
If you want fermented cabbage, actual sauerkraut, you have to make it yourself.
The process is easy as fuck, the easiest fermentation probably, but will take a few weeks.
>>
>>7910371
Unfortunately you don't even know what you're talking about, so it is unwise to talk so confidently.

Canned sauerkraut is sauerkraut that's put into a can or glass and pasteurized. Sauerkraut is fermented cabbage. The cabbage in canned sauerkraut is fermented at the factory, outside of the can, and then filled into cans. "Pickled cabbage" doesn't even taste like sauerkraut, as the specific taste of sauerkraut is the result of fermentation.

If you notice, the ingredients for canned sauerkraut are "cabbage, water, salt". None of those ingredients are acidic, yet sauerkraut is highly acidic, so something must've happened (i.e. fermentation). I seriously doubt you've ever actually had sauerkraut, whether from a jar or fresh.
>>
File: 41YapxP64jL.jpg (25KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
41YapxP64jL.jpg
25KB, 500x500px
This is the only kraut I've tasted and it's pretty tasty.

I never have to pay for it either. I just buy 1 hotdog and stuff 20 of these into my shopping bag.
>>
File: kraut.png (2MB, 1186x915px) Image search: [Google]
kraut.png
2MB, 1186x915px
>>7910443
i do this too. i got back from sams club and saw this post and it made me laugh. i'm not so brazen about it though. i'll put about 5 into the bag that i get from the meat area and i'll ask for a drink which is 20 cents extra and i'll stuff it full of sauerkraut.
>>
>>7910718
That's gross anon.
>>
>>7910393
>you don't know what you're talking about

you know sauerkraut literally is pickled cabbage, right?
>>
>>7910899

Are you dense or something? Like the other guy already said, real sauerkraut isn't pickled. it's fermented. Just google it ffs..
>>
How do I make sauerkraut at home?
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.