[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm trying to improve some chilli con carne that's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

File: honeygingermilk.png (4MB, 2874x1616px) Image search: [Google]
honeygingermilk.png
4MB, 2874x1616px
I'm trying to improve some chilli con carne that's lacking in flavour. Would adding some fresh coriander to the sauce and letting it cook give it a bit of depth?
>>
File: aok.jpg (21KB, 400x463px) Image search: [Google]
aok.jpg
21KB, 400x463px
Cinnamon
>>
>>7901085
Coffee, dark beer, chocolate and chipotle peppers are your friends.
>>
I can guarantee you home cooks aren't using enough salt and pepper
>>
Then there's the cumin, which should go without saying.
>>
>>7901093
This. Fucking put some more salt in it. Chili con carne should be plenty flavorful even with just its basic ingredients.
>>
>>7901093
>you home cooks

Everyone knows restaurants use more salt than is entirely necessary, "use more salt when cooking for others" is ancient.

Fucking uppity dishwashers get out.
>>
>>7901085
In order of importance:

>salt
>black pepper
>cumin
>cayenne
>garlic
>paprika
>cinnamon
>>
>>7901085
It wouldn't clash with the chili con carne to add cilantro to it because chili powder is part of the flavor profile, but it's simply not part of the recipe.

Why do you think it doesn't taste good?
Post recipe.
>>
>>7901085
>>7901092
No coffee, use a lager (like Budweiser) easy on the chipotle, it's smokey, use ancho pepper as the primary powder in your mix, buy dried peppers from a mex store, toast and grind your own (I find this to be a pain in the ass, but worth it, I generally use pre made powder out of convenience), (unsweetened) cocoa powder is good, paprika, cayenne, a TOUCH of cinnamon for your powder. Make a paste with it with a little beer before you use it. Brown your meat, add onion, garlic, spice paste, deglaze with beer (12 oz can), return meat, add beef stock/broth.
>>
>>7901180
And of course I forgot the damn cumin, cilantro is nice as a garnish, and coriander is an a fine addition to your spice mix as well, though use 2X the amount of cumin as corriander (if you garnish with cilantro, I'd omit the coriander, but to each his own.)
>>
Chef John adds unsweetened cocoa to his chili sometimes. He's a good dude. Worth a try
>>
>>7901180
What meat would you use? and could you type up a full recipe list? I would like to make this today
>>
>>7901180
To be honest I've never found adding beer to chili worth the time it takes to cook it off. Maybe if you're slow cooking.
>>
File: image.jpg (3MB, 3024x4032px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3MB, 3024x4032px
>>7901199
Here y go m8, I like cubed chuck like in this recipe, but you can use ground beef, I might use a stick blender 2/3rds thru cook time to get it more uniform if going that route, than add canned beans if you care for them (rinse them first), I like to use black beans, but everyone has their own preference.
>>
>>7901225
*From Cooks Illustrated
>>
>>7901229
I've tweeked it for my own, like to make my own powder, but that's the foundation recipe.
>>
>>7901225
& if you don't have a stick blender, just break up the beef real good into small crumbles with a wooden spoon during the browning stage,
>>
>>7901225
Thanks boss.
>>
>>7901085
>Calling it by it's actual name
Holy shit I love you op, marry me.
>>
>>7901089
Mein Neger
>>
>>7901134
Why does more salt annoy dishwashers?
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.