[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does anyone else get overly critical of other people's (or

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

File: leanchickennwaffles2.png (546KB, 593x592px) Image search: [Google]
leanchickennwaffles2.png
546KB, 593x592px
Does anyone else get overly critical of other people's (or restaurants) food because they are good cooks?

I'm not super great at cooking, but I can already see how having an interest in food and cooking is making me have a critical view of other people's cooking. To the point where I absolutely try my hardest to hide my interest in cooking to other people so I don't come off as pretentious.

<spoiler>or am I just autistic?</spoiler>
>>
Guess I fucked up my spoiler that's sick too.
>>
>>7899458
It's generally not something you can be very critical of. Everybody seasons to their own taste, cooks things until their preferred doneness (my family used to hate ANYTHING but completely soft vegetables.) Some people don't like cilantro, or onions, or some thing cooked some bullshit way. You might think your way is the right way, but you'd be an asshole. (It's still fun to shitpost about though.)

You also get what you pay for sometimes. I'm sure that frozen looking waffle and chicken wings wasn't terribly expensive.

Even if clearly no effort at all was put into it, being critical wouldn't help much. They probably just don't care, so whatever. Enjoy the food for what it is and move on.
>>
>>7899458
I think it depends on to what extent you're critical. When you're at a restaurant, especially an expensive one you're well within your right to expect good food, even great food.

When you're eating the food of an untrained home cook, just shut up and eat it unless it's raw.
>>
>>7899458
If you are going to a resteraunt or going to a friends house for dinner, manage your expectations.

Don't go to some shitty diner in BFE and expect them to cook a steak correctly.

Don't go over to your friends dinner party and complain they used canned sauce for pasta
>>
>>7899458
I'm not autistic, so I don't critique others' food that they took the time to cook for me just because I cook for a living. If someone were to seriously ask for my opinion based on my experience, it would be a different story, but nobody has ever done that in a social setting unless they were a professional and actually wanted my feedback.

That said, at work I'll tear you up if something's wrong with your food. It's my fucking job, after all, and I'd expect the same from you if my food was lacking in some way.
>>
>>7899458
I was giving my mommy shit earlier because her beef was tough.
>>
>>7899458
Lol look at that adorable little spoon. The tattooed big daddy eating waffles. That's a character.
>>
>>7899458
I also analyze my food but I do it in a way that makes me appreciate my food
I appreciate the flavors, textures, seasonings etc etc
but if it taste like ass i'll say it outloud and laugh as I continue to eat
my parents said ever since I was a baby I was methodical when it came to eating my food
Probably benign autism in my opinion
>>
Not really critical but every time I go to non fast food places to sit down and eat I always try and disseminate the food they give me to try and see how they made it taste like the way it does

and in the end shit is so simple I'm pissed I spent money on food I could've made

Doesn't make me think any lower of the restaurant or their cooks though
>>
File: 1294425913115.jpg (122KB, 1024x768px)
1294425913115.jpg
122KB, 1024x768px
>>7899512
they make their waffles in house not frozen and the chicken is pretty much perfectly cooked every time. It may not take effort to make a batter fry chicken and cook a waffle but to make it consistently right does take effort on the cooks part. I think its the same with all cooking no matter what the spectrum or cuisine. Its not like cooking is hard. Any form of cooking is fairly easy if you break it down but can one do it consistently with the same results? I think thats what separates the good places and the mediocre places.
>>
File: shitshard.png (79KB, 1200x1110px) Image search: [Google]
shitshard.png
79KB, 1200x1110px
Enjoy the ride
>>
>>7899458
I absolutely do get critical about restaurant food, but I think I'm a pretty fair judge, having worked in restaurants myself. It's very understandable when a place cuts, seasons or cooks ingredients differently from how I would do it (within reason), because different cooks obviously have different styles. However, there's absolutely no fucking excuse for using shitty ingredients if the good stuff is easily accessible & affordable.

There's this one diner by my house that makes fantastic waffles, desserts and mixed drinks, but a lot of the items on their menu could be improved. The worst thing I ever ordered from them was a fruit cup. Half the fruit pieces were either obviously from a fucking can, or weren't even ripe. The cup was tiny too, and the damn thing cost me 6 dollars. There are a shitload of produce vendors in our neighborhood that sell fruits at a fucking steal, so I know this place is absolutely capable of doing better. They're just stupidly lazy on certain items. Like another thing they fuck up on is bread. Any dish they serve with bread (sandwiches, burgers, toast) is shit because their bread is always stale as fuck. It doesn't even make sense, because there are a boatload of bakeries in our area that bake fresh bread for a lot of other restaurants in the city.

The only way I could see shitty ingredients being acceptable is if a restaurant was running in the middle of bumfuck Alaska or some other shitty place without regular access to fresh stuff. Laziness when ordering ingredients is just fucking disrespectful to both the restaurant and the customer.
>>
i'm very guilty of this but i'm usually pretty good at keeping it inside and not getting autistic about it

exceptions include:
>honky """"asian"""" food restaurants, run and patronized by white hipsters
>all you can eat sushi, fuck that shit in the asshole
>being served anything with "skin" like lumpy gravy

if my friends cook me something bad i just suck it up and choke it down with a smile, but if you have a cat i won't eat at your hous, but i won't outright tell you that, i'll just have excuses like i just ate

deal with it
>>
If the food is shit and I don't want to pay for it:

I always complain it's not salty enough, they give me a salt shaker then I complain their salt is too salty

often I've had discount or coupon or sometimes full refund by this technique
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.