[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is there a more obsolete eating utensils than chopsticks? ones

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 225
Thread images: 32

File: disposable-chopsticks.jpg (40KB, 728x487px) Image search: [Google]
disposable-chopsticks.jpg
40KB, 728x487px
Is there a more obsolete eating utensils than chopsticks?

ones Asians discovered white people and their way of eating there was absolutely no reason to be using chinksticks anymore

and yes I can use them myself
>>
>>7885242
(you)
>>
>>7885242
I get Asians using them but the most bizarre thing is when you see some westerner using them to eat ramen out of styrofoam cups.
>>
I enjoy the simplicity and precision, and frequently use them to eat Western dishes in the privacy of my own home.

I understand hating on try-hard weebs, but sometimes chopsticks simply make the eating experience more enjoyable, and I see absolutely no problem with that.
>>
>>7885257

There's something just cringeworthy about eating ramen with a fork, even if it's shitty cup noodles.
>>
I use them on the rare occasion that I decide to eat something like doritos or chips
>>
>>7885270
>There's something just cringeworthy about eating ramen with a fork

It's the complete opposite. If you're in a western country it's cringe worthy to use chopsticks anywhere besides Asian restaurants.
>>
>>7885277

Eating ramen with a fork as though it's pasta is stupid.
>>
portion control. perfect sized bites.
>>
>>7885285
Do you slurp ramen too because that's what they do in your favorite anime?
>>
I think it's pretty cool when your food is cut into bite sized pieces before you start eating, which is an implication of chopsticks.
>>
Well its probably funny watching drunk chinamen trying to eat with them... More funny watching drunk american people try im assuming.
>>
Chopsticks are more comfortable to me. I hope that makes you angry.
>>
>>7885296

Do you stick your fork to the bottom of the styrofoam cup and twirl the noodles around the fork? And then pick up your potage spoon to intermittently take a sip of the broth?
>>
>>7885314
I eat the noodles with a fork and drink the brother out of the cup afterwards like 99% of all other non-weebs do.
>>
>>7885324

>non-weebs

I think you mean to say "poor people".
>>
>>7885344
The people in the west most likely to use chopsticks at home are impoverished NEETs living with their parents.
>>
>>7885349

Or people who grew up eating a number of different ethnic cuisines, for whom proper food etiquette has simply been natural from a young age, due to having growing up in a multi-cultural environment?
>>
>>7885366
>due to having growing up in a multi-cultural environment?

My condolences.
>>
China was using fork-like utensils for a long time and didn't start using chopsticks as their normal eating utensils until the Ming Dynasty. They chose this.
>>
>>7885373

Nah, it's pretty nice living in a 1st world country where there are 100 different kinds of cuisines available for you to choose from every day.
>>
>eating with a utensil used by billions of people is awkward cultural appropriation
No. Just no.
>>
>>7885242
Salad sucks to eat with a fork. Much better with chopsticks
>>
>>7885242
>ones Asians discovered white people and their way of eating there was absolutely no reason to be using chinksticks anymore

You do realise chopsticks predates forks by literally milleniums
>>
I'd just rather have the faint taste of the wood from the nicer types of chopsticks at restaurants. Forks and spoons all the time would be boring and unfitting. Wouldn't eat anything in public with chopsticks other than asian foods though because I'm not gonna eat 69 cent ramen outside of my place anyways.
>>
I like cooking with chopsticks. They give you fine grain control of the food like a second pair of fingers, as opposed to awkwardly shuffling things around with giant spatulas or wooden spoons.
>>
>>7885242
I only use them if they're given to me or (Rarely) if I made some asain food where the experince is somehow better for using them.
>>
Chink here

I only use chopsticks when eating noodles in soup other than that I use a spoon for everything unless its steak or whatever hunk of meat which I use a fork

There is no utensil to rule them all

Well maybe the spoon but chinks use spoons too so
>>
? They are literally superior to forks

Anything that a fork can do, a pair of chopsticks can do better. The only thing that forks can do better than chopsticks is stab people to death.

Let's run down the list, shall we?

need to pick up piece of food:
>fork: STAB
>chopstick: stab, pick up, pick up and move it around, put it somewhere else

need to shovel something:
>fork: have to hold it perfectly horizontal and move it in a perfectly horizontal plane
>chopstick: can fan sticks out and whisk elegantly

need to stab something:
>fork: STAB, PUNCTURE, KILL
>chopsticks: ? why the fuck do you need to stab something you retarded mongrel

Don't be a fucking uncultured swine.
>>
>>7885373

>multiculturalism is bad

this isn't /pol/, it's not cool here to proclaim yourself as a flyover.
>>
>>7885600

"Multiculturalism" is how you get Taco Bell and Panda Express. "Multiculturalism" is nothing more than clever moniker for homogenization and destruction of cultural identity.

Authentic Mexican food is made by Mexicans living in Mexico, steeped in the tradition of their family and heritage. Authentic German food if made by Germans in Germany, steeped in the tradition of their family and heritage.

Food is culture, and "multiculturalism" is the enemy of culture -- so it is the enemy of food.
>>
>>7885612

American fast food isn't multiculturalism. Going to school with first generation Mexicans and having real Mexican food down the street is multiculturalism.

I'm guessing you're European and have no experience with different cultures other than kebabs.
>>
>>7885612

what kind of mental gymnastics did you perform to equate multiculturalism with taco bell and panda express

Did it ever occur to you that I can eat Chinese food made by Chinese people and Mexican food made by Mexican people in Southern California?

is that too foreign of a concept your Oklahoma City tastebuds?
>>
>>7885314
>>7885296
>>7885285
>>7885270
>>7885266
>>7885257

>not eating it with your bare hands
>>
>>7885569
This desu. They're so versatile while cooking. I use them to pull out oven racks, rotate food, etc., and you don't have to worry about scratching non-sticks.
>>
>Retards clinging to shitty utensils
You know what people in Thailand did when Europeans showed them forks?

They ditched the sticks because they realized how much better proper cutlery is.

Eat shit and die, weebs.
>>
>>7885654

Thai people use chopsticks for noodles, and the way they eat with a fork and spoon has to be one of the most uncivilized methods of eating aside from using your bare hands; they look like toddlers who haven't yet been taught table manners.
>>
>>7885600
Multiculturalism is great, unless you're white.
>>
How do asian cut their meat?
>>
>>7885663
I see that you didn't read the last part of my post, Hirohito.

Take your little red book, turn it straight, and shove it up your squinted ass.
>>
>>7885701

>weeb
>little red book

So when someone baits this hard it basically means they've conceded to losing the argument, right?
>>
File: 1468530900612.jpg (38KB, 400x529px) Image search: [Google]
1468530900612.jpg
38KB, 400x529px
>>7885366
Come on man you and I both know you were motivated to eat Ramen with chopsticks by anime.
>>
>>7885719

I'm from Hawaii, brah.
>>
>>7885721
So you're a German sympathizer then.
>>
>>7885726

I'm Jewish.
>>
>>7885593
>Using two sticks equates to culture as opposed to a fork

lol
>>
>>7885729
Does Hawaii have a lot of Jewish people?I'm genuinely curious.
>>
>>7885729
Whatever you say, Mohammed.
>>
>a fucking pair of sticks
>>
>>7885742

Fuck no, at least not on the island I grew up on. Aside from a couple years in elementary school when I went to a private school and had maybe 4 Jewish kids in my class, it was basically reclusive millionaire celebrities with vacation homes.
>>
File: 1468534926834.jpg (107KB, 466x770px) Image search: [Google]
1468534926834.jpg
107KB, 466x770px
>>7885748
Alright thanks for the info.
>>
>>7885763
bad luck
>>
>discovered white people

lots of cultures have used eating utensils analogous to spoon/fork

asians didn't because confucius was afraid he'd get stabbed
>>
>>7885593
>culture = different from American norms
Wipe this meme from the face of the earth.
>>
File: vlcsnap_2015_10_07_08h52m35s328.jpg (187KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
vlcsnap_2015_10_07_08h52m35s328.jpg
187KB, 1280x720px
what if the utensil IS the food
>>
Advantages to chopsticks:
>simple in design
>often made of biodegradable materials, like bamboo
>bamboo is a very renewable source
>inexpensive
There are billions of Asians, of course they would want as many inexpensive easy-to-make utensils as possible.
>>
>>7885859
it costs energy to produce and plant the bamboo

whereas with forks:
>stamp from sheet of steel
>use for 20 years
>>
>>7885890
It also costs energy to extract the iron ore and refine it into stainless steel.
>>
>>7885890
plastic ware?

takes energy to produce and create plastic
introduces plastic to environment which is more harmful in the long run then chopsticks
>>
>>7885685
With a knife...

Although asians tend to cut the meat into pieces prior to cooking. Westerners just get handed a piece of meat and to the work at the table.
>>
>>7885242

>Is there a more obsolete eating utensils than forks?

> ones white people discovered Asians and their way of eating there was absolutely no reason to be using retard-claws

>and yes I can use them myself
>>
we have transcended utensil altogether

consider bread eating
>simplest
>0 energy to produce utensils
>0 cost
>can't be stabbed with bread or rice at non-relativistic velocity
>can never be certain about the previous handling of utensils; can always be certain about the level of cleanliness of your own finger
>touch allows you to taste rice or bread with another sense
>>
>>7885890
You can get metal chopsticks although they aren't very popular. You can also get plastic ones. We have a bunch of wooden chopsticks in our house, they've literally lasted for around 20 years I think. Some of them have broken down and snapped over the years but we still have like a dozen.
>>
>>7885591
real. recognize. real.

I am Chinese, too, and let me tell you that the spoon is the GOAT utensil. The utensil rack in my dishwasher is filled with spoons 98/100 of the time.
>>
>>7885951
this. indians are the most powerful race in the world
>>
File: b.jpg (615KB, 1200x800px) Image search: [Google]
b.jpg
615KB, 1200x800px
What a quality thread.
Everyone in this thread gets to have drinks on me.
>>
i eat ramen with a spoon
>>
>>7885290
Keep telling yourself that you fat, weeaboo prick.
>>
>>7885460
>millenniums
Try millennia you stupid weeaboo fuck.
>>
File: image.jpg (112KB, 790x620px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
112KB, 790x620px
>>7885847
>>
>>7885951
I love how Indians are always so inexplicably proud of being Indian.
>>
>>7886713
All of 4chan's boards are for weaboos.

You may be looking for another website.
>>
File: 1438427638389.png (48KB, 1309x174px) Image search: [Google]
1438427638389.png
48KB, 1309x174px
>>7886779

you should look into exit bags.
>>
File: 1468164986339.jpg (53KB, 330x375px) Image search: [Google]
1468164986339.jpg
53KB, 330x375px
>>7886713
>goes onto a weeaboo website
>complains about weeaboo shit

Lol m8 how old were you when your dad beat the shit outta ya?
>>
File: 1453603192827.png (580KB, 800x2810px) Image search: [Google]
1453603192827.png
580KB, 800x2810px
>>7886713
:^)
>>
>>7886585
Then why can't they figure out the proper place to use the shitter?
>>
chopsticks are literally the best thing for flipping bacon
>>
>>7885612

>Authentic Mexican food is made by Mexicans living in Mexico
>Authentic German food if made by Germans in Germany

so a mexican literally cannot cook authentic mexican food outside of mexico?

a german literally cannot cook authentic german food if he's in austria? or switzerland?

remove yourself from the gene pool you utter fucking retard
>>
>>7885654

>he's never been to thailand

they actually use both you enormous dummy
>>
>>7885242
they're fun
>>
>>7885242
chopstick are a meme
>>
>>7885642
Not drinking it
>>
>>7885270
I eat ramen with a spoon
>>
>>7885460
It's like you didn't even read the sentence you're quoting, you fucking dumb faggot. What do you think the words "once" and "anymore" mean?
>>
>>7885242
>use fork
>rice falls through gaps

>use spoon
>can't spear meat and rice, have to choose

>use GLORIOUS INVENTION OF THE MIDDLE KINGDOM chopsticks
>realize that whites get btfo every time in the presence of the superior utensil
>enjoy food 100000x more than I could with a spoon, fork, or a spork
>>
I didn't realize people could be this elitist about utensils, out of all things
>>
>>7889924
You could just use a spork, you know.
>>
>>7885290
>portion control. perfect sized bites.
Yeah that's what chopsticks are used for. I take it you've never seen a Chinese person eat.
>>
>>7885277
>Having dinner with new Chinese boss at a steakhouse restaurant
>Struggling to eat barbecued chicken breast with a knife and fork (shit you not)
>Doesn't speak English so I have to ask the waiter if they have chopsticks for them

Embarrassing as fuck. Waiter looked at me like I'm fucking retarded
>>
>>7885242
>Ctrl f
>No one mentioned cheetos
Y'ALL MOTHER FUCKERS NEED JESUS.

If you eat delicious cheese puff treats, chopsticks are your best way to eat them. No more disgusting cheedle on your fingers.
>>
File: 1444757014614.gif (422KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1444757014614.gif
422KB, 640x480px
>>7885569
My god, this anon gets it.
I use cooking chopsticks too, I just love the amount of control you have with them while only using a single hand.
>>
>>7885242
Best utensil for salad. No question. Prove me wrong.
>>
>>7889959
sporks are both shitty spoons and forks
>>
>>7885242
Actually, china had forks before it had chopsticks. And they're great. It's like eating with your hands without getting your fingers dirty. Unless you're retarded and can't use them properly
>>
>for centuries forks were two pronged
>literally unmovable pair of chopsticks with far less utility
Maybe you should overcompensate for your lack of dexterity a bit less.
>>
Good thing about chopsticks is you have one hand free so you can browse the chins on your phone while you eat
>>
I regularly cook with chopsticks after having lived in Japan for a number of years (I am half Japanese)

I don't understand why white people can't just accept that they are usually wrong about things related to culture. You can see it in how defensive they get when they see a fellow white person acknowledging the superiority of anything Japanese
>>
>>7886826
>retarded opinion from a runescape playing faggot pretending to be some kind of official statement
lol ok naruto one bowl ramen please ^.^
>>
i used to think they were stupid but now that im good with them they make sense and i like them more than forks and stuff
>>
File: chopsticks.jpg (69KB, 654x435px) Image search: [Google]
chopsticks.jpg
69KB, 654x435px
>>7885569
This. They're the ultimate cooking utensil.

>one handed, long reach
>do anything tongs can do and more
>non-conducting, won't scratch pans
>take up almost no drawer space
>rigid form makes feeling for doneness easy
>can even test oil temperature
>makeshift drumsticks for mid-prep entertainment
>>
>>7891925
Do you usually use a fork with two hands you mouth breathing neanderthal?
>>
>>7893753

Nope. But it's bad manners to use a fork by itself. I have the fork in one hand and the knife in the other.
>>
>>7886816
>given containment boards
/a/ and /b/ were literally the first boards on the site and /b/ has always been the containment board.
>>
File: 1431627823170.jpg (14KB, 251x242px) Image search: [Google]
1431627823170.jpg
14KB, 251x242px
Some girl where i work eats popcorn at her desk with chopsticks and she isn't even asian.
>>
>>7893940
I use chopsticks for all sorts of grease/buttery stuff. I'm not gonna get my hands dirty.
>>
>>7893954
hot cheetos is a great example
I dont' want my hands dyed fucking anus blood red
>>
>>7893940
>she isn't even asian.
so?
>>
>>7893782
whereas the chopstick/phone combo isn't rude?
>>
>>7893959
>>7893954
Eh, good point. She is a somewhat refined and classy person when i stop and think about it. It would probably be beneath her to have dirty fingers. It still looks pretentious af
>>
>>7893940

可愛い
>>
>>7885859
>made from bamboo
>environmentally friendly

http://www.ecopedia.com/environment/how-wooden-chopsticks-are-killing-nature/

Slanties just love fucking this planet over.
>>
>>7893977
It does look pretentious but who gives a fuck if you have justification behind it?
>>
>>7893782

The worst thing in the world is seeing an American chasing food around a plate because he refuses to pick up the damn knife.

And in the event that he does to cut some meat he switches the fork to his left hand, picks up the knife with his right, makes the cut, puts back down the knife, switches the fork back to his right hand, stabs the food, noisily eats it and then repeats.

I am the kind of guy who avoids formal dinners because I hate the pompous vibe of correct etiquette and will eat Dahl and curry bare fucking handed but for fucks sake if you are going to use a fork at least act like a fucking grown up.
>>
>>7893964

That's even more rude. I don't even bring my phone into restaurants. I leave it in the car.
>>
File: sweaty-dono.png (318KB, 449x425px) Image search: [Google]
sweaty-dono.png
318KB, 449x425px
>>7885242
I enjoy eating with chopsticks
>pls don't call me weeb
>>
>>7885266
>precision

kek
>>
>>7894183

It's true though.

Not everyone eats giant bowls of bachelor chow and indiscriminately shovels it into their mouths.
>>
>>7894189
i was more laughing at the idea of someone having trouble picking up a precise amount of food with a fork or spoon.

do you have motor issues?
>>
>>7894001
That's the proper English way of eating. The English thought the colonists were savages because they held their knife in the right hand and the fork in their left and they would just shovel it in. The proper English way is knife in the right, fork in left, and you put the knife down before switching the fork in your hands and eating the cut. This was to show restraint.
>>
>>7894216

Actually, you never switch hands. Fork always in the left hand, knife always in the right hand. Switching is a big no-no.

Source: Me, who was actually raised in England with very strict adherence to table manners.
>>
>>7894230

There is slightly different table etiquette in the US compared the Europe, and it's my understanding that switching hand's is a distinctively American thing.
>>
>>7894268

I've seen it in both the US and in England, and elsehwere.

My personal opinion is that it's people finding it easier to use a particular hand so they ignore the "rules" and switch as they want to. Personally I'm thankful I was raised with the strict no-switch policy. I have no problem eating at a fancy table setting when the situation calls for it and I think that it's helped me get better dexterity with my "off" hand. Yeah, it's awkward at first to use your "off" hand, but when you do it makes so many things much easier.
>>
>>7894298

I was raised in in the US and was taught from a young age that after cutting your food with the knife in your right hand, you put down the knife and switch the fork to the right hand before taking the bite.

Nobody actually follows that rule these days, but that's considered old school proper here.
>>
>>7894313

Interesting, and I learned something today.

Everyone I've asked about it told me that they were taught not to switch, but they switched anyway because they found that to be "easier".
>>
>>7885242
You can't catch flies with a fork.
>>
>>7894348

/thread
>>
>>7885622
California is basically a Mexican colony by now. Mexicans know this and are proud of it.
>>
>>7894360
I'm not even Mexican and I love how Mexican California is

I never really grasped it until i moved to the midwest for a few years and then visited Mexico City for vacation. I felt a sense of having come 'home', it was really amazing
>>
>>7885242
They're kind of neat and fun to use but yeah, not very efficient. Only reason they're still around is MUH CULTURE, S-SENPAI. Japs have some crazy etiquette when it comes to chopsticks. Just place them wrong on the table and you're one rude white pig.
>>
File: snake_eater_by_wibblethefish.jpg (66KB, 900x525px) Image search: [Google]
snake_eater_by_wibblethefish.jpg
66KB, 900x525px
>>7894348
>>7894351
You go eat your flies, I'm gonna hunt me some real food with proper tools.
>>
>>7885600
thats funny because the federal government dumps the majority of the refugees in the midwest because of the cheaper cost of living and generous social services. See Iowa and Minnesota.
>>
chopsticks work objectively better for the following things
>noodles
>mixing small amounts of liquids (beating eggs especially)
>any medium or large rounded food (takoyaki, meat balls, dumplings, etc.
>>
>>7885366
Just stop man
>>
>>7885242
i really doubt you can use them if you think they're obsolete. you probably have the motor skills of someone with parkinsons so you require some retard-friendly utensils.
>>
>>7885612
Taco Bell and Panda Express are American companies hiring American chefs who craft recipes for American workers who serve American food to American consumers. Taco Bell has tried and failed to break into the Mexican market multiple times. Panda Express does not pass as Chinese food unless you live off of the cosmopolitan path.

Taco Bell and Panda Express are literally our own cultural identity; the interpretation of the external to suit our own expectations. The "culturalism" of food is a causation of the geographical distribution of resources called "ingredients." Don't blame multiculturalism, globalism, or consumerism. It's supply and demand, economical evolution; nature at work.

I get that /pol/sters wants to blame their perceived problems and symptoms on anyone other than their in-group; that's human and normal. It's their failure to understand themselves that worries me. It's all so Steve Jobs; relying on antiquated methods and worldviews to cure your ails when all of the data points to the opposite conclusions.

Nothing and no one can save you. It's all luck and chaos. You're just as fucked as everyone else, and nothing you do can change that, so just be fucking decent to yourselves and each other, until you've gobbled down your last taco or fluffer-nutter or country-fried steak or whatever your "culture" dictates you should eat. And shudder in the wind when your children venture across borders and cultures for herbs and spices and novelty and vibrancy of life.

You fucking degenerate.
>>
File: 187452_1.jpg (23KB, 489x489px) Image search: [Google]
187452_1.jpg
23KB, 489x489px
'obsolete' does not apply to particular ways to do universal things.

anyway, look what i got today. i ordered chinese. and it was awesome.
>>
>>7896029
those are unlucky
>>
>>7896046
what mean
>>
>>7894216

My grandmother used to dine with the queen when my grandfather was an ambassador for a collection of nations.

She is the reason why I hate proper etiquette (as a kid spending every breakfast lunch and dinner at the table all prim and proper really sucks the life out of you) but also the reason why I always hold the fork in my left.

I have a strong feeling that, that's the queens way. I have never met anyone else who could be more pompous and stuck up in my life. I swear queen Elizabeth herself could loosen up more than her.
>>
>>7896029
you shouldnt use those
>>
>>7885600
Yeah, multiculturalism is fantastic, just ask the little girls of Rotherham
>>
I use chopsticks to eat ramen. It's just what I've done since I was a kid. Never inspired to do it by anime or anything, we just happened to have chopsticks in the house and ate ramen with them.

Don't be a butthole.
>>
>>7897899
>oh noes!some little slappers had sex with brown men
Grow up!
>>
>>7894216
I always switched hands because my left hand is basically worthless for most task and couldn't properly cut with my left hand
>>
>>7885951
>nobody washes hands after pooping on the street and wiping hands to "clean" ass
>proceeds to use bread to scoop food
>poo gets in food
>consumes others' poo
>>
>>7897955
Shut up, racist.
>>
>>7888239
this
>>
>>7898132
the only phrase that has never before been posted on 4chan
congratulations negro
>>
>>7885270
i have eaten it with just a finger several times
>>
>>7898132
Shut up, pedo
>>
>>7892197
its an edit sempai
>>
>>7898246
No fag lords like you just insist on shitting up the places that aren't /b/, racism is against the rules on all blue boards
>>
File: 1468248832105.jpg (96KB, 426x960px) Image search: [Google]
1468248832105.jpg
96KB, 426x960px
I'll come clean that I do watch anime and browse /a/ but chopsticks are pretty fantastic when it comes to
>Asian food
what they're meant for
>Finger food
stuff like chopped watermelon or steak strips
>>
I feel like there fun to use every now and then.
>>
>>7885366
It's only flyovers here bro. The most culture they get here is eating tendies with a honey mustard dipping sauce.
>>
>>7900076

It just seems that way because of Summer.
>>
>>7889854
Do you also crush your ramen packs before cooking? It makes spooning it much easier.
>>
File: 1469056227077.jpg (224KB, 1672x1078px) Image search: [Google]
1469056227077.jpg
224KB, 1672x1078px
>>7886713
>image.jpg
>sperging out over a reaction image and derailing the thread
you are fucking cancer, fuck off
>>
File: 555-come-on-now.png (387KB, 598x369px) Image search: [Google]
555-come-on-now.png
387KB, 598x369px
>>7885642
>>7888639

>not throwing it down and slurping it off the floor
>>
The supreme combo is using chopsticks for the noodles and a straw for the broth, you fucking philistines.
>>
File: WHY.jpg (9KB, 170x296px) Image search: [Google]
WHY.jpg
9KB, 170x296px
>>7900176
>needlessly complicating things
>>
good luck eating sushi without chopsticks
>>
File: 1.jpg (48KB, 1674x914px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
48KB, 1674x914px
>>7885569
>>7885652
>>7889982
>>7893735
>>
I use chopsticks sometimes. They're convenient in a lot of ways.
>>
>>7900218

You're supposed to use your hands, bro.
>>
>>7900424
Absolutely disgusting.
>>
>Go to sushi place
>Make a fool of myself trying to use these sticks in front of the waifu waiters
>>
File: getjiro-etiquette.jpg (261KB, 600x959px) Image search: [Google]
getjiro-etiquette.jpg
261KB, 600x959px
>>7900469

Why? Do you not wash your hands or something?
>>
They're good for eating hot Cheetos without staining your fingertips red
>>
>>7885748

How many blacks are in Hawaii, seems like a comfy place to live
>>
>>7900487
Is this that Anthony Bourdain comic?
>>
>>7900553

Yep, it's from the first one.
>>
File: 1445256605151.gif (592KB, 299x299px) Image search: [Google]
1445256605151.gif
592KB, 299x299px
>>7893782
>it's bad manners to use a fork by itself
>>
>>7900568

Indeed. It's always knife+fork.

Had your parents raised you properly this would be obvious.
>>
>>7894230
Table etiquette when taken to these extremes is fucking ridiculous.

How about, don't be a slob, don't be a jerk, eat the food however you want. Why does there have to be a big fucking song and dance about it?
>>
>>7900574
Uh-huh. And whats the incentive to do this, other than the fact that your parents told you to, exactly?
>>
>>7900574
>>7900568
had our parents raised us properly none of us would be here.
>>
File: formal.jpg (407KB, 868x558px) Image search: [Google]
formal.jpg
407KB, 868x558px
>>7900576
>Table etiquette when taken to these extremes is fucking ridiculous.

Lol, that's not "extreme", bro. That's pretty basic. Pic related is extreme.

>How about, don't be a slob, don't be a jerk, eat the food however you want.

I agree.

>>Why does there have to be a big fucking song and dance about it?

I'm not defending it, but I can explain. The rules are, of course, completely arbitrary. It doesn't make any functional difference which hand you hold what utensil in, and so on. Rather, the point is that following a set of "manners" shows that you were actively taught how to behave rather than being left to your own devices. It's a sign to others that you were *taught* how to behave in public, not raised like a wild animal.
>>
>>7900580

So that when you're around other people they don't think "damn, what's wrong with him/her? If he/she can't even do something as basic as hold their fork properly, what else is wrong with them?"

It's also nice for those occasions when you have to eat a fancy meal and you know exactly what to do, rather than sitting there all nervous because that sort of thing is foreign and thus uncomfortable for you.

I explained more in >>7900590
>>
File: sush.jpg (9KB, 223x226px) Image search: [Google]
sush.jpg
9KB, 223x226px
>>
>>7900593
Are you this self-conscious that you seriously think people are judging you because you eat your food with a fork without holding a knife in the other hand?

I agree that putting on heirs is a sign of respect, but maybe you should ask yourself what type of company you keep if you put this amount of emphasis on something as basic as eating fucking food, and consider it a telling portrayal of character or personality if a person chooses to switch hands in utilizing his utensils.

Do you think bothering yourself with these trivial, most basest aspects of human interaction puts you above others? You're still only animal, and you urinate and excrete like the rest of us. Fucking humans and their dumb rituals.
>>
>>7900609
>you seriously think people are judging you because you eat your food with a fork without holding a knife in the other hand?

The opposite actually. I am the one making those judgements. I know it is completely ridiculous and that such judgements are completely irrational, but that behavior was ingrained in me from such a young age that I can't help it.

>>basest aspects of human interaction puts you above others?
Nope, not at all. I've stated multiple times that the rules are completely arbitrary and that I'm not attempting to justify them. But in my case it's fucking programmed. I'm embarrassed to say so, but yes, I literally do judge people based on this kind of thing, and I don't like that. The fact that it's trivial is exactly the point. If someone can't get something so basic and so simple right, then how can I expect them to be right for things that require actual effort or character? I don't like that about myself, and I realize it's irational, but I do it and that's how the thought process goes.
>>
>>7885890
>>7885958
metal chopsticks are pretty popular with koreans

all of mine are metal
>>
>>7893940
Cool! Subbed to your blog.
>>
>>7900622

Oh, and let me continue:
Sometimes, it's not just irrational. It's outright painful to watch someone try and cut something with the side of their fork when the fucking knife is right there next to their plate, they're just too lazy to pick it up. They'll spend ages trying to "cut" food with the fork when if they just picked up the knife they'd be done with far less effort. Ditto when someone is chasing something around the plate trying to pick up the food with the fork only, when if they simply used the knife to push the food onto the fork it would likewise be much easier. Sometimes it's very rational.

But yeah, most of the time it is indeed an irrational thing.
>>
>>7900622
If you acknowledge that it's irrational, why are you trying to convince me it's not, by telling me that this and that constitutes bad-mannered behavior? I get these beliefs are ingrained into you by parental indoctrination or whatever, but if you acknowledge them as having no basis in logic, why the fuck are you making posts like this
>>7900574

>implying
that it's something indicative of higher societal standing or whatever point you're trying to get across? Sounds like you're all confused in your head, bud.
>>
>>7900636
>why are you trying to convince me it's not

I'm not trying to convince you of that. It's clearly irrational. I was simply explaining the mechanism behind it in case someone cared.

>>that this and that constitutes bad-mannered behavior

It is bad manners. And the whole concept of "manners" is what's irrational. The two are not mutually exclusive.

>>why the fuck are you making posts like this
Because the definition of manners and the irrationality of manners are two separate things. Fork only meets the definition of bad manners. The idea of manners is irrational. The two are not mutually exclusive. For example: poltergeists are a type of ghost. ghosts are fictional.

>>that it's something indicative of higher societal standing

Even though it's bullshit, this is generally true. Higher social classes tend to put a high focus on educating their children--bullshit arbitrary manners included. Lower social classes tend not to give a shit. Manners, while completely silly in and out of themselves, can be a sign that people were well educated in other areas as well. Notice that I said "could", and not "is".
>>
>>7900648
See, this is what I mean when I say you're all confused in the head.

Manners aren't irrational in concept. It makes perfect sense why you'd want to maintain a pleasant and respectful aura in a formal social situation. I get why you shouldn't belch or pass gas at the table; because it reflects unhygienic activity that one shouldn't want to liken to the act of eating food or having friendly social interaction with people. There's a clear logical link there that makes sense, and gives you a basic framework for how to be cool and respectful around people.

You still haven't explained what's so apparently rude about eating with a fork in one hand, and no utensil in the other hand. As far as I can see, there's no logical way that that constitutes bad manners, and I think you'll agree with me on that. And yes I'm hung up on this one particular example, because I was honestly dumbfounded when I read it.
>>
>>7900683
>You still haven't explained what's so apparently rude about eating with a fork in one hand, and no utensil in the other hand.

As I stated before, it's completely arbitrary and irrational. I didn't make up the rule. And the rule makes no logical sense at all. But, that's the rule that somehow became the standard.

It constitutes bad manners because the "rules" of good manners state fork in the left hand and knife in the right. Aribitrary? Sure. I agree. But the rules are the rules.

As another example, a football field is 100 yards long. Why not 120 yards? Why is 100 special? Who knows, but the rules of the game state that it's 100.
>>
>>7900648
>>7900699
Y'know, I gotta give you a break, because I actually find myself agreeing with you to a certain degree.

I mean, if I were to see some degenerate eat rice with a spoon instead of a fork, I'd probably think less of him for reasons I can't explain. I had to think about it for a bit, but I see where you're coming from with this.

You simply have an image in your head of what proper body language and mannerisms should look like, and any deviation from that, no matter how miniscule or minute, conflicts with that image, causing discomfort in the brains. That's some fucky business. I seriously can't get over the idea of somebody eating rice with a spoon. I mean, how fucking stupid would you have to be to do that?

Hey, you opened my mind a bit bud.
>>
>>7885242

>it's a /ck/ gets baited episode
>>
>>7900709
Why is a spoon bad? I always thought that eating rice with a fork is stupid and a spoon makes sense since you have to scoop things and not stab them.
>>
>>7901191

Because the (arbitrary) rules of etiquette state that spoons are for liquid foods only.

Also, you know you can scoop food with a fork, right? You don't have to stab. Ever watch Asians eat rice with their chopsticks? They don't grab the rice with them, they scoop.
>>
>>7900626
Then you're retarded.
>>
I use them for cooking. They're good for push/grabbing without molesting or putting holes in the meat or vegetables. Not all the if you watch asian chefs they use them like that with some success.
>>
>>7900528

In 18 years growing up there I knew a total of 1, and his mom was a hippie and his dad lived in Jamaica.

It's primarily a mix of Hawaiian, Filipino, Portuguese, Japanese, White People and tourists.
>>
>>7900626

I hate that kind of chopstick. They're really short, and they are slippery.
>>
>>7900581

I had a proper upbringing and learned proper etiquette and table manners; I just happened to become an alcoholic.
>>
>>7900576

>i was raised as a slob so the rest of the world should accommodate me by also acting like slobs

We need to have some sort of rituals surrounding those necessary practices we don't do alone and in private, lest we become uncivilized.
>>
File: 123.png (106KB, 922x882px) Image search: [Google]
123.png
106KB, 922x882px
I'll be honest with you, chopsticks are straight up better as a cooking utensil than tongs are more than half of the time. Gives you a lot of control.
>>
Anyone else read through threads like this and ask themselves "why do I continue to visit this festering pile of dogshit website", yet continue to come here year after year? I hate myself.

That being said, chopsticks are shit tier for the average western meal and the fork/knife/spoon trifecta is vastly superior for the vast majority of all meals. The only time I prefer chopsticks is when I'm eating sushi or really tip top quality sticky rice. If you're legit asian, it's your right to continue using your antiquated utensils. Everyone else, outside of eating at an "asian" restaurant, you're a faggot/hipster/try hard.
>>
>>7901257
>Anyone else read through threads like this

No, looking at the first post or two is enough to make me realize the thread is shit and I move on.
>>
>>7900609

>maybe you should ask yourself what type of company you keep if you put this amount of emphasis

Different anon, but it's not a matter of "putting on heirs" [sic], it should just be natural if you were raised properly and your parents made enough money to take you out to eat occasionally to know BASIC table manners. That's all we're talking about, and you sound like you're getting mad that you don't know the basics of how to behave in public.
>>
>>7901257
>Anyone else read through threads like this and ask themselves "why do I continue to visit this festering pile of dogshit website"
Yes especially after reading your post
>>
>>7901267

Heck, you ought to do that at home, not just when you're eating out. That's the whole point of it being "natural"--you do it all the time, it's not some special act reserved for when you go to the restaurant.
>>
>>7900709

>if I were to see some degenerate eat rice with a spoon instead of a fork, I'd probably think less of him

The only reason to ever eat rice with a fork is when there are other things on the plate that are clearly meant to be eaten with a knife and fork; unnecessarily bringing a third utensil to the table is just bad form.

Otherwise a spoon is always better for rice.
>>
File: 1350253845686.jpg (26KB, 500x440px) Image search: [Google]
1350253845686.jpg
26KB, 500x440px
I like using chopsticks, but it's really just a novelty for me. I only do it at asian restaurants and even then it's really just because I haven't known how to do it for very long and it's fun and satisfying. Proper western utensils are both easier and more effective.
>>
>>7901257

>anyone else read through threads like this and ask themselves "why do I continue to visit this festering pile of dogshit website"

I mostly say to myself, "*sigh*, it's this thread again".
>>
>>7901277

I do that when I'm eating by myself, but it seems like there's something about going out in public that requires a kid to have a little extra training on how to behave.
>>
>>7901195
The liquid thing makes sense when we're talking about arbitrary etiquette rules. And I know you can scoop with a fork. My thinking was just 'why scoop with a fork when spoons are literally perfect for scooping?' >>7901290 's comment makes sense about using a fork with rice in the most realistic but still somewhat polite way. Thanks for the interesting info.
>>
I like to stab my food to make sure its proper dead before eating it
>>
File: the best utensil.jpg (131KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
the best utensil.jpg
131KB, 1024x768px
>>7901345
I like your thinking.
>>
>>7901232

I might move there then, sounds nice.
>>
>>7901446

>sounds nice

It's fucking Hawaii, dude; literally the definition of paradise. Everybody would live there if they could afford to...
>>
File: akmbtt.jpg (110KB, 850x478px) Image search: [Google]
akmbtt.jpg
110KB, 850x478px
Weird thing is, they eat RICE with sticks. Even though they're aware spoons exist, they eat little tiny grains of rice using sticks. For no reason.
>>
>>7901493

I'm currently in NYC so I know about expensive, how's it fare?
>>
>>7901552

Well, unless you're already wealthy or have a job you can do completely online, there isn't much of a job market outside the tourist industry, which for the most part doesn't exactly pay well.

Then there's the fact that millionaires have been buying all the nice homes and properties to use as vacation rentals, which means the cost of housing, or living anywhere nice, is absurd.

Then there's the fact that almost everything needs to be shipped in, so the cost of living is automatically much higher than most places.

Then there's the fact that over half the people on the island at a given time are tourists, who are willing to pay more because they're on the vacation of a lifetime and are willing to splurge, so many places have resort tier, jacked up prices.

It's liveable for sure, but without decent money it's not going to be the dream you imagine. Plus if you get kicked out of your house and try to sleep on the beach or camp in a valley you're likely to wake up to methed out mokes kicking the shit out of you. Many people go there thinking it's like Alaska, where you can just go into the wilderness and live off the grid. It's not; it's a series of very small islands that are pretty much fully inhabited, or otherwise privately owned land or patrolled national parks.
>>
>>7901624

Jeez, guess I can drop that dream.
>>
>>7901653

One upside is that all beaches are public, meaning that even is someone owns all the land surrounding a beach they are required by law to provide public access - which is actually really cool.
>>
>>7901242
You're a bit of a numbskull, aren't you?
>>
>>7898132
blue board for blue pills it seems.>>7899184
kill yourself nigger
>>
>>7901697

Even cavemen had rituals surrounding food, sex, and death, which are the three necessities that remind us we are animals, and which every culture on the planet has formed customs around as a way to humanize them and be something more than animals.

All of society function by having standard ways of talking and behaving; if you want to insist that it's stupid and act like an animal, feel free, but don't get mad when other people judge you for being immature.
>>
>>7885242
>Is there a more obsolete eating utensils than chopsticks?
Considering "chopsticks" are the most commonly used eating utensil on the planet, I'm going to say pretty much every other eating utensil if obsolete by comparison.

>>7885257
It is easier to eat noodles with chopsticks, retard.

>>7885296
Ramen is "slurped" because you're supposed to eat it when it's fucking hot and the "slurping" is a side effect of eating in a way that allows air intake, helping it cool in the process. You do the same shit when drinking hot liquids without thinking.
If you aren't slurping ramen, you're doing it fucking wrong, retard.
>>
>>7900224
Far less flexibility, you mong.
>>
>>7900593
>So that when you're around other people they don't think "damn, what's wrong with him/her?
Only normalfags care about that shit. If you're a normalfag, you can fuck right off to some other website.
Thread posts: 225
Thread images: 32

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.