[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the most pretentious cooking related thing you've

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 284
Thread images: 34

File: IMG_20160715_121021.jpg (2MB, 4160x2336px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160715_121021.jpg
2MB, 4160x2336px
What's the most pretentious cooking related thing you've seen? Mines pic related, taken at a high end food boutique store
>>
Not quite an item or a dish but a cooker, the so called chef john from foodwishes is an insufferable cunt, always talking so pretentious and with that arrogant voice.
>>
>>7882783
I really hate his inflection DESU
>>
>>7882763
Holy shit, that isn't anything. I'm frequently in kitchen shops and specialty groceries, so I'll take some pics next time.
>>
>>7882793
describe some to me
>>
>>7882763
Can you imagine someone actually trying to use this thing and grating their hand?
>>
>>7882783
I suppose we have a different understanding of what pretentious means
>>
>>7882783
Chef John isn't pretentious even though he has a right to be because he is a god. You shut your whore mouth you shit fucking mouth breather.
>>
>>7882763
I don't get it. Grated salt is incredibly pretentious?
>>
>>7884420

Yep. Around here if it's not a Doritos product, tendies, or available at a major fast food chain then it's automatically pretentious.
>>
>>7884429
>available at a major fast food chain
I dunno man, there's some guy here who keeps ranting about "sandwich artists" and the cucked fast food places that DARE carry the new avocado in an affront to all shut-ins everywhere

You should revise that to "was available at a major fast food chain as of 1964"
>>
>>7884420
/ck/ is divided between the few who actually enjoy cooking, and the mouthbreathing fat fucks who only like what their moms fed them when they were kids.
>>
>>7884432
Why do people on /ck/ seem to think avocado is some kind of recent trend?
>>
File: 1200x-1.jpg (170KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
1200x-1.jpg
170KB, 1200x900px
live ants as part of your $300 meal
>>
>>7884441
Its marketed as that in many places.
>>
>>7884450
>300 dollar meal
>wanting ordinary shit done slightly better
You're just not in the market famalam
>>
>>7884441
From what understand, it wasn't common in the flyover states (outside high end grocery stores in larger cities) until NAFTA, and as a result the more trailer trashy types in those areas had never tasted it until some fast food chains started offering it on menus.

These are the same people whose employability is greatly affected by whether there are undocumented migrant workers nearby, so they associate it with the general decline in social status for whites with a high school diploma at best.
>>
>>7882763

So in seriousness, what makes the hand grater better than the grinders on the left?
>>
>>7884479
I am pretty sure it's just a self-aware cute thing. The difference would be shape and rustic appeal because you're getting it from one bigass chunk of salt. The kinda thing that's sort of a joke item but stylish enough to presented straight faced, I guess
>>
>>7884492

Got it, so something wannabe cooks buy because it impresses normies and makes them look better than they are.
>>
>>7882763
Are these like those salt blocks you cook on? Has anyone ever used those? Himalayan salt seems like a big scam but cooking on a salt block seems like it could be interesting.
>>
>>7884498
I doubt it. It's kinda like buying square plates. It's not necessarily perceived as better by the people buying them, it's just appealing to them. People(normies) like to accesorize.
>>
>>7884507
>accessorize
REEEEEEE
>>
>>7884420
It is pretentious. It is going to cost a lot more, have no perceivable difference in taste, take more effort, and will no doubt be presented as if were different than normal salt.

That being said, I'd buy it if it were priced the same as normal salt. I like colorful items, and I would use a mortar instead of grater so I could control the size of the crystals.
>>
>>7882763
Hoe would the items in that pic be pretentious at a high end food boutique? Isn't that exactly the kind of stuff they sell at places like that?

What am I missing here?
>>
>>7884540
>It is pretentious. It is going to cost a lot more, have no perceivable difference in taste, take more effort, and will no doubt be presented as if were different than normal salt.
So what? That doesn't make it pretentious to someone with the disposable income to blow looking for little luxuries. To someone like that it would just be novel and fun.
>>
File: blood altar.jpg (292KB, 987x1272px) Image search: [Google]
blood altar.jpg
292KB, 987x1272px
>>
>>7884571
Neither the setting it is used in nor the person using it have any bearing on whether an item is pretentious. Paying a significantly higher amount for an item that has no perceivable difference in quality or function makes it pretentious.
>>
>>7884619
>Paying a significantly higher amount for an item that has no perceivable difference in quality or function makes it pretentious.
Says the guy who spends 11 hours a week arguing about the latest video card on /g/
>>
>>7884571

It is pretentious. It costs more, requires more effort, and yet produces the same results.
>>
>>7884627
You should review the definition of "pretentious" because you seem really confused
>>
>>7884629

pre·ten·tious.

[prəˈten(t)SHəs]
ADJECTIVE
1.attempting to impress by affecting greater importance, talent, culture, etc., than is actually possessed

He's using it right
>>
>>7884651
So if I pay 35 cents extra for a pack of gum that has a label that I like, it makes me pretentious?

Or does that only happen when the dollar value to "this amuses me" quotient exceeds what you personally deem to be within your means?
>>
>>7884619
You are wrong. Pretentiousness is entirely a matter of putting on airs - trying to appear more worldly or of a high social stature than you are.

For a price insensitive customer who enjoys shopping at cute little boutiques the fancy overpriced salt isn't the least bit pretentious, because it's EXACTLY what someone like them would buy. To them the experience of shopping for it and enjoying it is worth the cost, because the cost doesn't mean much to them.

For a middle class person trying to feed a family on a budget buying this stuff would be pretentious, because it would be wasting their money. Their only motivation for buying it would be to participate in something they associate with people richer then they are. That's pretentious.

A thing really can't be pretentious. Pretentiousness is a matter of personal motivation.
>>
>>7884651
No he isn't, because as I said here >>7884662 it's a matter of motivation. Someone with the money to spend might choose to pay more for aesthetic reasons alone. They don't want to shop in the stores where badly dressed people line up to pay for discount shit. To them that's depressing. To them it might be worth the opportunity cost of going to a boutique and getting personal attention from the staff, because they enjoy that experience more.

If you can afford to shop in such places doing so isn't the least bit pretentious.
>>
>>7884662
>You are wrong. Pretentiousness is entirely a matter of putting on airs - trying to appear more worldly or of a high social stature than you are.

see >>7884651
>>
Since when is /ck/ full of grammarians?
>>
>>7884694
I know this is really painful to accept, but there are actually people who are more worldly and have higher social stature than you

In fact, it's increasingly evident that this is most people
>>
>>7884660
>So if I pay 35 cents extra for a pack of gum that has a label that I like, it makes me pretentious?

Nope. But if you paid extra because that label would impress someone else--someone other than you--then that would be.

Pretentiousness is about showing off to others.
>>
>>7884703
Ok, got it. So if I buy some gum, and then show it to my coworker and say "hey get a load of this gum", then it makes me a pretentious hipster. I should keep it to myself because fun is a private experience, never to be shared with others. To do so would be putting on airs
>>
>>7884694
see
>>7884701

Someone of a higher social status, is more worldly and has a greater appreciation of good food because they've eaten in many good restaurants is not the the least bit pretentious shopping at a high end boutique.

Sure, some of the stuff they buy might seem like Emperor's New Clothes to you. Of course that would be the case. Value for your dollar is a much higher priority for you than it is for them. YOU shopping in these places would be pretentious. For them it isn't.
>>
>>7884732
What is the objective difference between this salt, and the salt you can buy for less than $1? If you answer that without referring to someone's income, you may have a point.
>>
>>7884732
>Value for your dollar is a much higher priority for you than it is for them
This is actually false, though. Poor people just have a different set of priorities. There was a piece in the Economist about a year ago covering spending priorities between poor people in countries with zero economic mobility vs rich people in the developed world. Some guy figured out that it made more sense for poor people to blow what we might consider an absurd amount on a TV so the village can watch soccer together. From our ivory towers we might say "no you should send your kids to school" but those kids aren't going anywhere. But the TV brings the people together and provides a much-needed escape from the day to day life of grinding poverty

The guy claiming salt is pretentious probably has some priority in his life that a well off person would consider incredibly pointless and irresponsible - it perhaps even might be taken as evidence that poor people deserve to be poor
>>
>>7884715
Only of you're trying to impress your coworker by showing him a gum that shows a sophistication or wealth you don't actually possess. Otherwise you'd best offer him a piece so he's not confused about why you're showing him gum.
>>
>>7884778
>a sophistication or wealth you don't actually possess
>a 35 cent pack of gum
You've lost the argument, just give it up
>>
>>7882763

That's not pretentious, that's for stupid rich morons.
>>
>>7884770
Style
>>
>>7884770
It's not income per se, but the standards of what the buyer would consider normal. If you normally shop at boutiques and specialty shops then the stuff they sell there is normal to you. If you normally shop at the supermarket that stuff might seem pretentious.
>>7884775
Each socioeconomic group has their own class "tells", and it's much more sophisticated that the actual cost of something. People take their social cues from their peer group. Pretentiousness is taking social cues from the peer group above you just to make yourself seem of higher status than you are.
>>
>>7884784
Bullshit. If you lived in a part of the world where you and your peers were making only a couple bucks a day a 35 cent pack of gum bought for the purpose of showing off that you could afford it would be pretentious.
>>
>>7884827
> If you lived in a part of the world where you and your peers were making only a couple bucks a day
But I don't, and as we've established, there actually are people for whom buying a salt grater that costs 10x more than a carton of Morton is still such an infinitesimally trivial fraction of their disposable income that there is nothing pretentious about buying it. Let alone the salt itself being somehow inherently pretentious.

You are very desperately to be technically correct, so if it makes you feel better, you can imagine that I'm a goat herder in Botswana or whatever (do they have goats there? let's pretend they do) posting on 4chan from my mobile phone.
>>
PEOPLE. It's a wink wink nudge nudge funny eccentric item. It's literally called fratesalt, it is self-aware and for the novelty
>>
>>7884846

>self-aware

This is literally a damage control term.
>>
>>7884846
>funny
>for the novelty
I wear grey jumpsuits every day and eat gruel, fun is pretentious
>>
>>7884846
*gratesalt
>>
>>7884852
The only damage control going on right now is people who cannot wrap their minds around the idea that there are no people on earth for whom paying $50 for a food-related gag gift is a life or death decision

So you figured out that you're not going to suddenly be accepted by the Philips Exeter/Choate crowd just because you bought something at Williams-Sonoma. Someone better give you the Nobel Prize for sociology, wow what a discovery
>>
>>7884869

You're defending your purchase of a stupid item pretty hard. Perhaps you should step away for a few minutes and calm down.
>>
>>7884775
I'm well off. I don't mind paying extra shekels if it actually makes a difference, but there is no difference. I do like the economist reference tho. I have my degree in economics.
>>
>>7884784
>You've lost the argument, just give it up
He didn't. He's applying the objective definition to your retarded example and then you reee'd because your example didn't work. Now you're trying to duck out because you've run out of argumentative ammunition.
>>
>>7884876
No U
>>7884878
What do you mean there is no difference? You can't even use the goddamm salt without grating it first. How much more different do you want?
>>
>>7884878
The sifference is in you enjoying the novelty of grated salt from a large prettty rock
>>
>>7884887
My example worked fine, the only way it doesn't work is if you pretend I'm a goat herder in Botswana, which, admittedly, I am. Sorry, you were right all along.
>>
>>7884834
My point is that pretentiousness is entirely in the eye of the beholder. So you're not going to get a consensus on symbols of it when we're in a place where people of very different peer groups interact.

Hell even in my own family I've seen it. Some relatives are well off and well traveled, others not so much. I know for a fact many normal things to the former seem incredibly pretentious to the latter.

I look at OP pic and think, "I wouldn't spend extra dough on finishing salt unless it was for a gift." And I think this way because I've been gifted finishing salt and enjoyed using it.
>>
>>7884896
Nice strawman. It didn't work because it was over-simplified to the point where it was obvious you didn't want anyone to demonstrate how pretentiousness could be applicable as opposed to, say, in OP's pic.

Seems like you're the one who's desperate to be right.
>>
>>7884891
So I have to do more work and pay more money for the same result because they market the product as being better than regular salt? That's the definition of pretentious.
>>
>>7884571
>That doesn't make it pretentious

>pre·ten·tious
>prəˈten(t)SHəs/
>adjective
>attempting to impress by affecting greater importance, talent, culture, etc., than is actually possessed.

Yes. By definition, it is pretentious.
>>
>>7884420

Buying it in that form is totally unnecessary, so I would say yes it is pretentious.

Quite fancy buying the blue stuff for a bit of fun though, maybe I am pretentious too...
>>
>>7884913
>Nice strawman
Like with 'pretentious', you don't seem to understand what that means
>>7884926
You said there is no difference. Is there a difference, or is there not a difference?

I don't know how "they" market the product because I have never seen it before this thread. Perhaps you can show me the marketing materials so I can understand your reasoning. All I see is a somewhat silly presentation for a block of rock salt, which, to me, makes me assume they are appealing to the kind of person who gets a kick out of food novelties. I'm not reading into it any further than that.
>>
>>7884953

>It's not pretentious because I'm assuming it's a novelty

And that is where the disagreement is. Nothing about that says novelty to me. It screams faux high-end like it is some special unique product which it is not.

I'll agree perception is the key thing but I'm willing to wager more people will perceive that product the way I do than you do.
>>
>>7884926
Not if buying that product would be a normal thing for your peer group. Let's extend the analogy to cars, and maybe it will make more sense. Say you work a professional job, live in a nice neighborhood and go out to eat at nice restaurants every now and then. You only drive your car to shop and go to work. A second hand 2006 Nissan Versa would totally fit your needs. But your neighbors are all driving around in 300 Series Mercedes and BMWs. You'd look like a loser driving around in an old entry level Nissan, so buying the BMW isn't the least bit pretentious.

But buying a Maserati to impress your neighbors would be pretentious.

For your uses the differences between these cars is marginal at best. But whether your choice of them is pretentious depends ENTIRELY on the norms of your peer group.
>>
>>7884966

Not that anon, but I agree with you.I t depends why you buy it. If you buy it to proudly display to your friends how "sophisticated and talented in culinary matters" you are then it is absolutely pretentious.

However if you buy it as a novelty for a bit of fun or as something a little different because you like it then carry on. I can see myself buying crap like that in the future - totally pointless but harmless fun.
>>
>>7884966
>I'll agree perception is the key thing but I'm willing to wager more people will perceive that product the way I do than you do.
Without context, anyone can perceive what they want. I can show this to my fellow goat herders and they, too, can get triggered.

I can tell you that my third cousin who lives in a first world country, who looks a lot like me, regularly shops at a high end grocery/boutique food store, where they have a lot of stupid shit like this (although not this exact item). Stuff like $45 tablecloth scrapers (i.e., a piece of chromed stainless steel) designed by Eero Saarien or whatever. It comes in "classy" packaging. It's not like any other tablecloth scraper in the world, because it's authorized by the estate of Eero Saarien (or whoever), although it functions exactly the same as an expired credit card.

If that tablecloth scraper was sold at Wal Mart to pigs shaped like humans with a video sales pitch by Helen Mirren or whoever it is that Wal Mart shoppers consider a high class person, it would be pretentious. But it's just dumped there unceremoniously between the chocolate bars and the re-usable shopping bags made of recycled hemp, so it's not.
>>
OP here

>gag gift
No, It's not. This store does not do gag gifts. This is a very fancy hoity toity store and this is in all seriousness.

The fact that you guys would think this is comedic is a bit worrying, what kind of humour do you have? Grating salt with a hand plane is funny? Would you invite guests around, make a lovely meal, serve it and then stand over them grating a salt block onto their meal and giggling to your self?

This shit was priced exorbitantly as well
>>
>>7885095
I was assuming the same level of gag as a coffee service set where there's an animal pouring the milk out of its mouth

Not entirely serious but not "ha ha this is hilarious" either
>>
>>7884939
>attempting to impress
There's the difference. If you have the money to blow and you're just amusing yourself it isn't pretentious. If you think the fancy salt is going to impress people it is.

Let's put it into an easier to understand context:

Say you're a professional living in an upscale neighborhood. You use your car for driving to work, shopping and going on mostly local trips. Any car in decent shape would suit your needs. But if your neighbors all have new 300 series Mercedes in their driveways you're not all that likely to buy a second hand 2006 Nissan Versa, even if it met your needs. The Mercedes would not be a pretentious choice for you - it would be an appropriate one. But if you bought a Maserati to show off it would be as pretentious as the guy whose neighbors all drive second hand Nissans buying the same Mercedes.

Not pretentious:
>go to cute boutique I normally shop at
>see fancy salt
>remember friend gave me finishing salt two years ago as a birthday present
>liked it, so decide to buy some
>was a little expensive, but there's nothiong wrong with treating yourself every now and then

Pretentious:
>walk into "fancy" expensive store
>OMG, look how expensive that salt is!!!
>if I buy that everyone will think I'm the ULTIMATE foodie connoisseur when I make a big show of grating it into the pasta water
>really can't afford it, but I'll only whip it out when guests come over, so it'll last for years
>know it will impress everyone
>worth it

See the difference?
>>
>>7885127
>If other people are pretentious, me being pretentious isn't pretentious

Your whole argument.
>>
>>7885147
>what would be pretentious for some people is not for others
My whole argument.
>>
>>7885112
>I was assuming the same level of gag as a coffee service set where there's an animal pouring the milk out of its mouth

I... don't see how those are a gag, either? They're cute, I nearly bought a badger one.
>>
>>7885112

And I think you're wrong, either because you have an odd way of looking at things or it's something that you do like but don't want to admit it because everyone is shitting on it.
>>
>>7885147
Think about it like this. If you were poor and you were having friends over you might buy Coke instead of store brand soda to impress your friends. That would be pretentious. But if you weren't poor you'd think nothing of buying Coke over store brand. Hell, you may just buy that hipster soda because you like it, even though it costs more than Coke.

Now just move that up a few notches and the fancy salt starts looking a lot less pretentious for a certain kind of customer.
>>
>>7885189
>I... don't see how those are a gag
You don't think there's any humor involved in making a receptacle for pouring milk emulate a body function of an animal?

You don't seem to be a very analytical person.
>>7885193
It doesn't appeal to me at all, but I'm ok with it. The logic here seems to be "if he has fun with some frivolous thing it's rubbing my misery in my face". That's not odd, it's understandable in fact, but it's a pretty sad commentary on inequality that some novelty rock salt triggers so much class consciousness.
>>
>>7885208

>if he has fun with some frivolous thing it's rubbing my misery in my face

Literally not a single person in this thread has said that. People have pointed out that it's a pointless device that does the same thing but for more money and you've gone off on this tirade about how awful poor people are and how they need to learn to live happier lives and stop being poor.
>>
>>7884698
maybe they're refugees from /lit/?
>>
>>7885209
>you've gone off on this tirade about how awful poor people are and how they need to learn to live happier lives and stop being poor.
Whoa buddy. I never said extreme inequality was good, I meant the opposite in fact. But way to go making my point for me.
>>
File: 1464880185709.jpg (97KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
1464880185709.jpg
97KB, 800x800px
>click on thread about pretentiousness and salt
>thread is full of pretentiousness and salt
>>
>>7885220
lol
>>
As someone who currently owns nine different salts and salt-like products including black lava, citrus and a speed grinder (on the left), I'm gonna say that's pretentious.

One doesn't buy that to use at home daily. That's done to impress people either at a restaurant, dinner party or on instagram. That is the actual definition of pretentious as listed earlier.
>>
>>7885313
Shit's good for a gift, too, because it's something most people wouldn't buy for themselves.
>>
File: 1327206715091.jpg (10KB, 299x293px) Image search: [Google]
1327206715091.jpg
10KB, 299x293px
>>7885325

>A good gift is something that somebody would never buy
>>
>>7885325
completely agree. I would certainly not buy it for myself, but would use it if given to me
>>
>>7885313

See your different salts are actually different. The OP image is just the same shit as in the grinders just unbroken.
>>
>>7885340
What does that reaction image mean?

Are you disagreeing with that guy?

I for one agree with him - that's gift giving 101.
>>
>>7885313
ugh, fucking phone correcting... that "speed" is supposed to be "smoked"
>>
>>7885391

I want a speed grinder.
>>
>>7885505
yea, don't we all
>>
>>7882783
I don't know or care if the guy technically qualifies as pretentious, but like >>7882788 said, his videos are completely unwatchable due to the shit voiceover.
>>
File: 4ec.jpg (71KB, 803x688px) Image search: [Google]
4ec.jpg
71KB, 803x688px
>>7882783
>>
>>7882783
He does have a whif of fanciness to him, but i wouldn't call it pretentiousness
>>
>>7885313
Seasoned salt is not technically salt.

That's like saying that I have two types of nutmeg and pull out a jar of pumpkin pie spice.
>>
>>7884941
Yeah. Nothing wrong with different kinds of salt but there's literally no benefit from buying a block and grating/crushing it yourself. There's nothing in salt that's volatile, will evaporate, and leave your salt tasting inferior. It's not like pepper where buying peppercorns and only grinding them immediately before use is objectively better.
>>
>>7888881
What about "it's fun"?

I mean come on you people will literally spend hours sperging over the seasoning on your cast iron even though teflon is objectively better at nonstick

You can't have a little fun grating salt?
>>
>>7888892

Seasoning the cast iron makes a difference. Grating the salt does not.
>>
>>7888903
>Seasoning the cast iron makes a difference
Except that's wrong. The factory seasoning is fine. There is no reason to sperg unless you are poor and trying to make cast iron into a "do everything" pan.

Are you by any chance poor?
>>
>>7888930

Oh is it you again? The guy who wants to make everything in this thread about rich and poor people and hates the poor? I thought you left?
>>
>>7888936
I have no idea who "you" is, rich vs poor is basically every post in this thread.

I take it that's a yes, then.
>>
>>7888938

Yup, it's you. Nice to see you're still mad. ^_^
>>
>>7888950
>actually using sage
who's mad now?
>>
File: 1452196793962.jpg (722KB, 1024x730px) Image search: [Google]
1452196793962.jpg
722KB, 1024x730px
I'm not sure why anyone would think these things are made for rich people

Rich people don't get rich by throwing their money away for no reason, and they sure as shit aren't chilling at home grinding their own salts. They're also not prone to having bitch battles on a middle eastern cartography board over goddamn kitchen accessories so let's not act like this argument even matters to anyone ITT
>>
>>7889021
>smetana
Complete and utter loser
Dvorak > Any other Czech
>>
File: 20160717_213437.jpg (76KB, 324x328px) Image search: [Google]
20160717_213437.jpg
76KB, 324x328px
>>7889022
>>
>>7889021
You havent had the pleasure of working in a store that caters to rich old white women. They literally throw their husbands money away on all kinds of over priced useless shit.
>>
>>7884420

If pretend it adds something to the dish when in fact you can't distinguish it in a blind test from that from a grinder, then yes it's pretentious.

If you admit it's just a silly ritual, then it's not.
>>
>>7889021
>Rich people don't get rich by throwing their money away for no reason
This is a middle class myth. Higher income translates to a higher percentage of disposable income. Dropping $50 on salt is akin to a lower class person dropping $8 on something they don't need to survive.
>>
>>7889021
Rich people get rich in a variety of ways. Some are born to it, others marry into it, some have a few lucky moments. Yes, there are plenty of rich folks who work hard and never throw their money away, but that's sure as hell not all of them. Sales of luxury items are pretty brisk. In the case of fancy salt it's a matter of packaging and pricing it in a manner so that it's seen as a luxury item by the kind of person who enjoys buying such things.
>>
>>7889206
Wait, are you saying something with a different composition will not taste different?
>>
>>7883134
I did that grating cheese once, then fell down the stairs later that day and broke my toes
>>
>>7889206
I know that all you've even known of salt is the blue cylinder, but there are many varieties. It's what's in it other than the NaCl that makes the difference.

>>7888903
but it's fun. your obsession with utility impresses noone. that's the greatest irony here, pretention over unpretentiousness.

I think it's scientifically interesting to see where salt comes from and use it in its whole form.

plus, you can pretend you're a horse and lick the crystal. no imagination, no dreams, no goals, I swear to jesus. end yourself already you uptight little butthole.
>>
>>7890129
>>7889206
sorry I misread, you were comparing the flavor of the hand-grater to a grinder. I guess they could still taste different if the textures were different.

But the process of hand-grating the salt would be fun anyway. same reason I use a mortar instead of a spice grinder sometimes.
>>
File: AvocadoSliced2.jpg (35KB, 432x403px) Image search: [Google]
AvocadoSliced2.jpg
35KB, 432x403px
>>7884456
California here, white people love putting avocado on fucking everything. I work in a bougie-ass deli joint, and I do ticket mods for extra sliced avocado on 50% of the stuff I make.
I don't understand why. It doesn't fucking taste like anything. :/
>>
I hate it when rich people pretend to be rich by buying things they can easily afford.

Don't they know those things are actually stuff they can't afford? They should stop pretending to have money, they're not fooling anyone.
>>
>>7890158
>doesn't taste like anything
Do you not have taste buds?
Avocado is delicious.
>>
File: image.png (266KB, 500x348px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
266KB, 500x348px
>>7885313
>no popcorn salt
>no pretzel salt
>>
>>7890158
>I don't understand why. It doesn't fucking taste like anything. :/
See a doctor, your mouth is broken
>>
File: 1452094770678.jpg (22KB, 347x201px) Image search: [Google]
1452094770678.jpg
22KB, 347x201px
>Thread gets started about pretentious food
>Thread is 100% derailed by people arguing semantics
>Literally only three mentions of actual pretentious food in a 100+ post thread
>YFW

Jesus fucking Christ, you people will argue about anything. And not stop.
>>
>>7890740
>actual pretentious food
The idea that food can be pretentious out of context is absurd. So the thread wasn't derailed, the premise was stupid.
>>
Alright lets rail this back on track.

Pretentious food.

Deconstructed Coffee in Sydney and Melbourne.

God fucking damn, senpai.
>>
>>7890777
A poor man eating a steak.
>>
>>7884441
Because it kind of is. A year ago nobody gave a fuck about it and people didn't put it in everything they ate

Now people won't fucking shut up about how healthy it is. But it's in the same trend as all the healthy eating bullshit

If you ask some of these poor souls if they like food X or recipe Y they can't even say yes or no or if they just like how it fucking tastes. They just state whether it's healthy or not, whatever the fuck that means to them

It used to be that ready-made/microwave foods in the supermarket marketed how much meat or cheese they had, because that's the expensive part of it
Now i see packaging saying "extra veggies!". Nigga I can get greens and just throw them in myself. Instead, they're bumping up the price as if those extra lettuce leaves are what makes the meal
/retarded rant
>>
When the waiter "introduces" cheese to you.
>>
>>7890777
>Not just serving somebody whole coffee beans and water.
>>
>>7890788
>Now people won't fucking shut up about how healthy it is. But it's in the same trend as all the healthy eating bullshit
But that's nothing compared to what's happened with chicken breast over the last couple decades. That's 100x worse.
>>
File: michelin_EN.jpg (46KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
michelin_EN.jpg
46KB, 600x450px
What are the noticeably highest quality ingredients you can get for the lowest price?

An example would be water and tea, both are very basic and paying premium for them gets you a noticeably better taste than the average. Serious Eats did a blind test concerning water sources and tea. Another example would be the popularity of Maldon as a garnishing salt, or tellicherry black pepper. One thing I also noticed is that organic celery seems fuller than regular celery, although that might not have anything to do with the labelling designation per say. After the entry-level, tomatoes climb in quality pretty fast. Legumes and grains are also inexpensive products that seem to have great variations beyond the budget level.

I feel like reducing your pantry down to essentials would allow one to spend more on those essentials. So we could pool ideas of what those should be.
>>
>>7890777

This is much like the salt in OP. It's the same result but more work and probably more expensive.
>>
>>7890777
>deconstructed coffee
this is just a fucking americano except it's gonna be less hot and consistent, all it is is an extension of giving you a milk cup at the table in a diner, and pretending like it elevates the drink.
>>
>>7890954
Too bad good tomatoes are in no way cheap
>>
>>7890969
>>7890961
>>7890781
>>7890790
>>7890777
That was a gimmick to get attention (As are many of the "pretentious" things people complain about here). Guess what? It worked on a lot more people than just you autists.
>>
>>7890954
Fucking baffles me that people don't spend the most to least money in this order:
>water
>coffee/tea
>vegetables
>fruit
>grains
>legumes
>rest

They probably don't eat the optimal diet for a start.
>>
File: the face of autism.jpg (20KB, 236x354px) Image search: [Google]
the face of autism.jpg
20KB, 236x354px
>>7888892
>>7888930

for starters, i generally do not get fun out of grating things. i enjoy cooking as a whole, but specifically grating does not exactly elicit a reaction of 'fun'.

secondly, teflon is not objectively, figuratively or whichever version of ively you'd like to use as good as cast iron, actually. teflon will get damaged and need to be replaced. it is also not as good at high heat applications. when properly seasoned, nothing sticks to cast iron in the same vein that nothing sticks to teflon.

but you probably knew this already (or are extremely fucking stupid), and just wanted to troll. have a (You).
>>
>>7891062
>nothing sticks to cast iron in the same vein that nothing sticks to teflon.
factually incorrect
>>
>>7891002
How about a Midwesterner drinking wine?
>>
>>7891062
Spot the dirty filthy neckbeard who yells at his mom for washing the cookware
>>
>>7891092

>>Inability to properly season cast iron detected
>>
>>7891148
Are you saying you actually prefer teflon to iron?!
>>
>>7891152

I'm not the guy you're replying to, but IMHO they're different tools for different jobs. Comparing the two is as silly as comparing a hammer to a screwdriver.
>>
>>7891155
That I'll agree with. I prefer to use cast iron, but there are situations where it isn't the best choice. I really don't like teflon, even though I use it every once in a while.
>>
>>7891152
Yes, where it's justified
Do you just use one tool for everything, just to be an obstinate moron?
>>
>>7885220
Kot seems to be just fine with it though
>>
>>7891259
there is actually no situation at all where teflon is the best choice for anything. you can use numerous other types of surfaces and achieve results as good or better than with.
>>
>>7892040
>can
>as good as
This part is true
>better than
This part is not true

And you forgot the part where you rave about "the proper way" to "take care of" cast iron, and then in the next sentence insist it doesn't require any special care and feeding, just soap and water.

Which is it? Why, whichever fits your agenda, of course.

Those who know better keep all the right tools for the job. In some cases that's cast iron. In most cases, it's not.
>>
>>7882783
He acts down to earth and readily makes fun of himself. That seems self-aware and not pretentious to me.
>>
Speaking of pretentious. Nectar juices makes me wanna gag.

I thought that I a real life version of Inui's health drink wpupd be bearable. Turns out i gagged at a sample of Nectar health juices
>>
>>7882763
That's pretty ridiculous. I'll post a Pete Evans pic when I get home
>>
File: sardines.jpg (94KB, 600x657px)
sardines.jpg
94KB, 600x657px
>>
File: IMG_8455-800x727.jpg (162KB, 800x727px)
IMG_8455-800x727.jpg
162KB, 800x727px
>>7892730
>>
File: IMG_7983-800x800.jpg (202KB, 800x800px)
IMG_7983-800x800.jpg
202KB, 800x800px
>>7892736
>>
>>7882763
How much were the PHS grinders, because I think you can get them at Trader Joes for like $3.
>>
>>7892740

It's funny because they are all trying to be unique yet clearly ordered their wheelbarrow things from the same place.
>>
File: IMG_7449-800x800.jpg (237KB, 800x800px)
IMG_7449-800x800.jpg
237KB, 800x800px
>>7892740
>>7892747
honestly the number of hipsters repeating the same lame concepts
>>
>>7892752

YO DAWG WE HEARD YOU LIKED TABLES SO WE PUT A TABLE ON YOUR TABLE SO YOUR FOOD CAN SIT WHILE YOU SIT
>>
>>7890158
You clearly don't understand mouth feel.
>>
File: CKDJheeW8AAq8JO.jpg (102KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
CKDJheeW8AAq8JO.jpg
102KB, 600x600px
>>7892752
ROCKS
>>
>>7892763

The others I get because they're thematic. But what is the excuse here?
>>
File: CM8jPFgWcAAbRGF.jpg (139KB, 600x600px)
CM8jPFgWcAAbRGF.jpg
139KB, 600x600px
>>7892763
>>
File: CjudMyJW0AEvVxk.jpg (283KB, 1024x1024px)
CjudMyJW0AEvVxk.jpg
283KB, 1024x1024px
>>7892768
gross
>>
File: CXLWcTyWAAEiCw8.jpg (273KB, 1024x1024px)
CXLWcTyWAAEiCw8.jpg
273KB, 1024x1024px
>>7892772
>>
File: CPNg1HOWIAEume_.jpg (161KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
CPNg1HOWIAEume_.jpg
161KB, 1024x1024px
>>7892779
>>
>>7890158
Deep fry it and smother it in butter like you do with everything else
>>
>>7890158
A lot of people prefer to use it in place of mayo.
>>
>>7884441

>live in an area where an avocado tree in your backyard is not unusual
>nobody ever talked about it
>oh, you don't like avocado? That's fine.

>OMG AVACADO SEASON IS IN AND IT IS GOING TO LAST 8 MONTHS LIKE ALWAYS
>holy fuck anon you don't like avocado what the fuck is wrong with you?!
>despite the fact that I got so sick of them last year and was about to cut down my tree because all they made was a right fucking mess because I can't possibly eat 600 avocados a month I am still going to get really fucking excited again!!
>this is gods gift to humans!!
>commercials on American tv going crazy with avocados

Dread, it's a fucking trend.
>>
>>7892719
Welp, I'm home. Here it is
>>
>>7892885

I don't see how this diet could even be considered natural to any degree.

People all over the world get by and have gotten by just fine without all that shit.
>>
>>7890158
how much are you over charging for avocados/extra avocados?
>>
>>7892783
>>7892779
>>7892768
>>7892752

I like how there are only white people in these pics
>>
>>7892906
White privilege does these things to you
>>
>>7890833
What's happened with chicken breast? It's just a part of an animal and it has its purposes, just like the thighs slave their purposes. You can rarely replace one with these other
>inb4 chicken breast is a meme
>>
>>7884420
All salts taste exactly the same. What's the point of high end salt like this?
>>
>>7884420
Well yes. Salt doesn't degrade in any way whatsoever when it's ground. Freshly grating/ grinding spices makes sense but salt IS the preservative. The shelf life is indefinite.
>>
File: Designer Ice.webm (3MB, 426x240px) Image search: [Google]
Designer Ice.webm
3MB, 426x240px
>>
>>7893202

I hope he washed his hands after using the bathroom
>>
>>7893209
>japan
Probably
>>
>>7893202
That's stupid.
>>
>>
>>7882783
This better be b8
>>
>>7893202
Wouldn't this be terrible for the knives?
>>
>>7893219
So...do the waitresses just bring you a whole new table when you are done eating? Must be fun being a dishwasher in this place.
>>
>>7893219
What are they eating?
Is it sweet?
If so, what is that, mustard?

>>7893235
If I were doing this in a restaurant I'd put down baking paper or something similar.
>>
>>7893219
What gets me is that they seem to lack any originality in their dishes and designs. It's as if some talentless 'artist' saw some jackson pollock painting, saw the high price and decided to copy him. The epitome of middlebrow cuisine.
>>
File: Carrot Net.webm (3MB, 400x230px) Image search: [Google]
Carrot Net.webm
3MB, 400x230px
>>
>>7893252
>some talentless 'artist' saw some jackson pollock painting, saw the high price and decided to copy him
Have you even *seen* a Pollock?
>>
>>7893267
Yes blue poles. If you're asking me whether i've 'seen' it as in saw it as anything but an impressive painting, then no, sadly not.
>>
>>7892763
do they keep a collection of rocks that they put in the dishwascher, or just go outside and take some from the driveway? are there franchise rergulations on what type and size of rocks to use?
>>
>>7892885

>Emu meatballs

Why?

>Activated almonds

Wat?
>>
>>7893202

I can see the appeal of the slow frozen clear ice since it does look nice and the one larger piece of ice since it is better for cooling but this is just retarded. Who wants to wait 5 minutes on every single cocktail ordered?
>>
>>7893233
Considering the amount of effort they're putting into ice, what makes you think that knife wasn't specifically purchased to notch the ice?
>>
>>7885220
kek
>>
>>7884441
Because I live in Canada, and avacados don't grow here. Now they're suddenly in everything.
>>
>>7892885
>activated almonds
why the fuck
>>
>>7893612

supposedly it makes the almonds more nutritious. dunno why they call it "activated" instead of "sprouted" or malted though.
>>
Whenever I have to read " au jus" from a menu I get pissed off by how pretentious it sounds, like I feel like I should lightly clear my throat and tip my nose up and fold my designer glasses away before handing over the menu after saying it
>>
>>7893620

Or just good old fashioned soaked nuts. And cultured veggies the pretentious way of saying kimchi
>>
>>7893669
You mean his veggies didn't get a BA at a liberal arts college?
>>
>>7893612

You put them in water overnight and they activate, just make sure you have a tight fitting lid, I'm still finding the fucking things behind my furniture
>>
>>7893254

neat
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (115KB, 1920x1080px)
maxresdefault.jpg
115KB, 1920x1080px
>>7892885
>mfw I forgot to activate my almonds
call 911
>>
>>7893233
The knives? Made of metal?

You do know what ice is made of, right?
>>
>>7893252
Are you basing that entirely off this dish orrrrr...?

Because there are many dishes of theirs that are very original in plating and concept. The potato black truffle thing for example. Or the herb-smoke pillow. Or the fucking balloon.
>>
>>7893866

Ice is hard and trying to chop it can easily damage a cooking knife, especially if it's a very thin one or unusually hard.

I've seen plenty of knives broken in the kitchen when some fool is trying to break apart a case of frozen food because the dumb fucker didn't thaw it in advance and now the chef is going full-on apeshit mode.

BTW, in case you didn't know, they make special knives for cutting ice and frozen food. They look more like a saw than a knife.
>>
>>7890777
>Using Pyrex beakers to serve food

I work in a bio lab and I'm conditioned to assume all lab glassware is contaminated with chemical residue. This is disgusting to me.
>>
>>7894113

You work in a Bio lab but you don't properly clean the glassware?

I haven't worked in Bio, but I have managed a polymer chem lab for nearly a decade now. One of my rules is that all the glassware be thoroughly cleaned before it gets put back on the rack.

How on earth can you get accurate or consistent results if the glassware isn't clean?
>>
>>7893219
The poor man, he has to eat from a table
Someone donate him some dishes
>>
>>7894128
>not trusting science
Why do soccer moms hate science?
>>
>>7894288

Because they don't understand it.
>>
>>7894288
because it deals with nasty chemicals!
>>
>>7882763
aoua cisw
>>
>>7884415
t. Chef John
>>
>>7893141
>What's happened with chicken breast?
It's taken over the role ground beef had in American cuisine of the 1960's and 70's - it's become the lazy, default, cheap protein used in uninspired home cooking and fast food across this great nation. And of course people claim it's "healthy". I can't even imagine how many chickens are slaughtered every hour in the service of awful to mediocre food. If you're gonna kill the damned things at least make something good with them.

That goes double for fucking turkey sandwich meat. More bullshit that's supposed to be healthy, amirite?
>>
>>7894401

I'm temporarily working at a sandwich shop and it annoys me how like 60% of our orders are for either turkey or chicken or some combo of them. I'll take my fucking grinder with capicola and shit any day.
>>
>>7884624
Are you projecting mate, because /g/ is not a high traffic board
>>
>>7884660
35 cents is reasonable market difference in price
Salt like that is literally many times as expensive
>>
>>7894417
The chicken/turkey breast = healthy meme is outta control in America right now. Way more fucking annoying than sriracha or avocados could ever hope to be.
>>
>>7892772
The bottle of wine in the rain boot is clearly some sort of gimmick bar, should not apply
>>
>>7882763
Gee whiz, honey, what color salt should we get: Blue or taste?
>>
>>7894423
>/g/ is not a high traffic board
Are you being sarcastic?
>>
>>7894128
We thoroughly clean and autoclave everything. It's just knowing what's been in the glassware that prevents me from going near it with food. Would you drink out of one of your flasks/beakers? Same thing with toilets. Every week I autistically clean and disinfect my bathroom but I still wouldn't eat food off of the toilet seat. Know what I mean?
>>
>>7882783
You're either a faggot or a masterbaiter. Either way go fuck yourself.
>>
>>7884456
good analysis senpi
>>
>>7894639
seconded
>>
>>7893219
That waiter did a shit job of clearing that table.
>>
>>7893851
*net
>>
>>7884561
>What am I missing here?
That OP is a low end food boutique store.
>>
>>7890158
it's not about flavor. take something super creamy and put it on a sandwich and it's good. also your tastebuds are broken, avocados taste like vegetable butter. shit's tasty yo
>>
ITT poorfags who think anything more highbrow than their rustlers is pretentious
>>
>>7884450

Explain further what the fuck why the fuck and where the fuck.
>>
>>7884441
Because/ck/ is filled with fly-over suburbanite white kids.
>>
>>7882812

no
>>
Sous vide.

When retard whores put fruit in water and drink the water, toss the fruit, so they seem HEALTHYtm and chad will notice them.

Anything sold at whole fools

Half the shit at trader joes

>>7890777

I actually had a drink like this called a cow bomb. Came with a big glass and a small glass. I just drank the small then the big, but apparently you're supposed to drop the small glass in entirety, glass included yes, into the big one and drink it like that. Which is fucking retarded.

>>7884505
>Himalayan salt

This shit is an environmental disaster. They destroy some of the most beautiful mountainscapes in the world for this rubbish. So some fucktarded fatass middle aged moron can pretend they're fancy if they use HIMALAYAN PINK SALT for their kraft phoodz dinner.
>>
>>7895598
>apparently you're supposed to drop the small glass in entirety, glass included yes, into the big one and drink it like that. Which is fucking retarded.

You've obviously never been to a college party...
>>
>>7895636

Many, pretension-kun. Keggers included. No one fucking has GLASSES at a college party. Red cup, hellllooooooooo. Because the last thing you want is someone dropping their drink and having broken glass everywhere.
>>
>>7895598
>This shit is an environmental disaster. They destroy some of the most beautiful mountainscapes in the world for this rubbish.
You're an idiot
>>
>>7895656
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J%C3%A4gerbomb

Don't know about other countries but here in bongland this shit is a club staple
>>
>>7895656

It was probably a Car Bomb, not cow bomb. Irish Car Bomb specifically, fairly well known drink.
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px)
image.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>7895598

Being an elitist is worse than being pretentious. Himalayan salt is a scam made to make people think the sodium they're dousing their food in is somehow healthier when it has a neglibly better mineral content at most but the rest of your post is full of shit.

Whole Foods has good food and some pretentious shit on the side. I rarely shop there but when I do the food is good quality if a little expensive. Their selection is much better than any Kroger or publix in my area too.

TJs is just affordable produce and good cheese plus some slightly less unhealthy junk food and creative frozen food you won't find anywhere else. Yes it's a potential waste of money but that doesn't necessarily mean it's pretentious.

Car bombs are fun and if you break the glass you're a fucking moron or you're way too drunk and have no business drinking more. They're also very easily done in plastic cups. A Guinness mixed with a shot of Baileys and Jamerson is delicious.
>>
>>7884479
You have a chance to add the salty tang of your own blood to the seasoning of the dish.
>>
>>7893839
kek holy shit
>>
>>7892766

rocks are also thematic
>>
>>7893235
>>7893239
>>7894162

it is a special silicone table mat they bring out for the dessert, it has a grid pattern on it which is why blobs of a certain size/viscosity turn square.

>>7893252

it's nothing like a pollock you pleb.
>>
>>7890788
I have a ten metre tall avocado tree in my backyard, and it's been a meme food here for at least two decades. Your argument is invalid.
>>
>>7882788
That's the best part!
>>
File: garbage.jpg (318KB, 1100x549px) Image search: [Google]
garbage.jpg
318KB, 1100x549px
>>7893252
Pollock just plagiarizes every spastic 4 year old with coloring materials.
>>
>>7894460
Not American so I wouldn't know how bad it is over there. Haven't really heard people say chicken breast is somehow healthier where I live so eh

In either case, it's quite a bit cheaper than other meats so I'm assuming that's why it's used more often here.

In my particular case I get bored of it rather fast. But ground beef doesn't go well with what I cook usually. Or at least I feel weird doing noodle stir fry with ground meat...
>>
>>7890740
>you people will argue about anything
Fucking prove it, asshole.
>>
>>7894460
Chicken/turkey breast are healthy though.
Not a meme, just hard facts.
>>
>>7890749
So then ignore the thread instead of having a ~100 post bitch fest.

It's really as easy as just ignoring things you don't like.
>>
>>7890749
But that's how most of this board and entire website works

What, next you'll realize that people here act immature and are biased in their arguments?

>wheredoyouthinkweare.jpg
>>
Who has that webm of the guy making grilled cheese for his son but is super pretentious about it? I think he rubs it in on the grill after lathering it in butter and puts like 5 different types of cheeses on it and then serves it to his kid
>>
>>7897275
No more or less healthy than any other parts of the bird you chucklefuck.

>m-m-muh fat

Has ruined the American dinner.
>>
>>7892763
It may be cool if they served hot meals on rocks that were heated up to retain the food's warmth.
>>
>>
>>7892779
To be fair wire baskets would allow for more even dissipation of moisture so the bottom isn't as soggy.
>>
>>7893458
My thought is that he does this every morning or something so he has a chest full of ice and is just demonstrating it for the video.
>>
File: Matt Hardy.png (209KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
Matt Hardy.png
209KB, 400x400px
>>7882783
DELETE THIS
>>
>>7895745
fukin rekt
>>
>>7899487
its from chef
>>
>>7899491
This x 100
>>7897291
What are you talking about? There are constant Stop Liking What I Don't Like threads here.
>>7897377
My point is that foods you consider pretentious really says much more about you than the foods themselves. Not all of us here are middle class Americans who consider anything mommy would balk at buying pretentious.
>>
>>7900804
While I agree that experimental food isn't for everyone there are a lot of frankly substandard practices and presentations that are all form and no substance.

Would you really say that >>7892783 is anything but a novelty?

Also I'm black and the food most of my race makes are frankly worse than anything thought up of in the diabolical kitchens of any bored midwest housewife.
>>
>>7900823
I don't see novelty as inherently pretentious. Really, half of Taco Bell's menu is novelty. Burger King ain't far behind. How is the shit in that pic any l;ess goofy than chicken fries or an extra long buttery cheeseburger? And all of that is still less silly than bacon crust pizza. The price tag only makes that silliness seem pretentious if you can't afford it. And like I said, that says more about you than the food item itself.
>>
>>7894401

The nature of the breast itself has changed as well. Because of the preferance for "all white meat" (which really ought to read as "flavorless and dry"), today's factory farmed chickens have massive breasts and relatively little dark meat. In fact, the chickens can't even survive into adulthood because their legs can't support the weight of the breast meat. Also, the drive for more meat, less cost has resulted in the breeding goals of the chickens being fast growth and massive size rather than flavor. Today's supermarket chicken is largely flavorless compared to classic poultry breeds.
>>
>>7894546
>Would you drink out of one of your flasks/beakers?

One lying around the lab? Absolutely not. One of them that was on the "clean" rack? Yes indeed. Because just like you said:

>>We thoroughly clean and autoclave everything
>>
>>7900918
The definition of pretentious is: Claiming or demanding a position of distinction or merit, especially when unjustified

What merit does food served on a hand has? What distinction does it deserve? If you're only argument is that 'poorfags just don't understand' then I have a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you.
>>
>>7900944
No shit. Chicken in America has become tasteless meat with really fucking weird texture and a totally wrong color, yet that crap is popular as hell. Goes to show most people either have shit taste, or have other priorities (perceived healthiness, price) when it comes to what they eat.

I stopped eating supermarket tier chicken about 15 years ago, because all it did was make me sad. Thankfully I can still get heritage breed birds in Chinatown for just over $10 each, and that's more than worth it to me.
>>
>>7900996
Pretentiousness is never about the food itself. It's about the person.

If a person eats something because they like it then that person is not being pretentious.

If a person eats that food in order to show off or make him/herself look special to others then that person is being pretentious.

Food is inanimate, it cannot be pretentious.
>>
>>7900996
Do you really think there are significant numbers of people eating mini hamburgers served on their hands in a ploy to convey unjustified social status? I don't. It's just a novelty, like drinking Baja Blast at Taco Bell.
>>
>>7901008
>>7901008
>Goes to show most people either have shit taste, or have other priorities...

Many people simply haven't had anything else thus there is no basis of comparison. I happily ate supermarket chicken for nearly 30 years before I happened to taste a chicken from a family friend who raises them on their little farm. Total eye-opener.

Sadly, our pork is in just as bad a condition too. Largely flavorless, and far too lean.

>>chinatown
Yeah, I buy those too. It's also nice that they have the head and feet attached since those make for some really good stock.
>>
>>7892885
>A homemade coconut

I've been getting mine store bought when I could have been making my own?!
>>
>>7901061
>they have the head and feet attached
The man knows.
>no basis of comparison.
While this is especially true when it comes to pork and chicken it extends to many other things in America as well. There are plenty of people who go their entire lives eating groceries from the supermarket and eating out at chains or local joints served by SYSCO and US Foods. They don't have any idea better quality food even exists, and consider the very idea of it pretentious.
>>
>>7895542
Not him but that scandinavian chef who ran Nome or Numa it hink it was called used to serve ants as part of one of his courses.

But he needed to prove why he deserved 3 michelin starrs so that is understandable.
>>
>>7893144
all decent quality glass works find as a tasteless container for liquids, what's the point in fascinating patterns and shapes?
>>
>>7884456
>spouting /leftypol/ bullshit like its going out of style
NAFTA had little to do with the increase in the popularity of avacados but increased pushing of it has bought into more popular light, I'm sorry your cultural desert of a hobo piss smelling town offended you but get real, they are about as much as a culinary flash in the pan as sriracha sauce.
>>
>>7893144
>All salts taste exactly the same.

That's not true. There is a variation in flavor between some salts. Also, there is a variation in texture, which is just as important as flavor is.

>What's the point of high end salt like this?
-flavor
-texture
-different color for making the presentation pretty (e.g. a garnish)
>>
>>7885313

That Morton's Sea Salt is the fucking shit sempai.
>>
Look at this shit lmao
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjN546QGSMA
>>
>>7893144
Different composition leads to different flavors. Try some kala namak and try to tell me it tastes like table salt with straight face.
>>
>>7901344
>algal inclusions and mineral inclusions is salt
Lick the bolt of your rifle after shooting a tin of corrosive surplus and tell me with a straight face that it's salt.
>>
>>7901367
Yes, it's part of the salt so it's salt. Himalayan pink salt, kala namak, that Hawaiian shit, sea salt, that blue stuff from iran (which is pure sodium chloride salt) all have different tastes because of their composition which consists of majority NaCl then trace amounts of other salts and impurities like clay and carbon.
>Shooting corrosive
I'm not a poorfag
>>
>>7901316
it doesn't look bad at all. Noma gets way too hard a time for doing obscure shit, there's nothing wrong with being unique, if I didn't get something unique at that price point I'd be mad.
Thread posts: 284
Thread images: 34

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.